Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: RhoGEF2
Description: Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor 2
Alias: CG9635, DRhoGEF, DRhoGEF2, Dmel\CG9635, DrhoGEF2, Gef2, RG2, Rho-GEF2, RhoGEF, RhoGF2, RhoGef2, Su(Rho1)2B, dRhoGEF, dRhoGEF2, l(2)04291, rhoGEF2, rhogef2, shar, Rho guanine nucleotide exchange factor 2, CG9635-PD, CG9635-PE, CG9635-PF, CG9635-PG, CG9635-PH, RhoGEF2-PD, RhoGEF2-PE, RhoGEF2-PF, RhoGEF2-PG, RhoGEF2-PH, akkordion, guanine nucleotide exchange factor 2, shar pei, transcription unit 2
Species: fruit fly
- Widmann T, Dahmann C. Dpp signaling promotes the cuboidal-to-columnar shape transition of Drosophila wing disc epithelia by regulating Rho1. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:1362-73 pubmed publisher..Our results identify a cell-autonomous role for Dpp signaling in promoting and maintaining the elongated columnar shape of wing disc cells and suggest that Dpp signaling acts by regulating Rho1 and MRLC. ..
- Yan J, Lu Q, Fang X, Adler P. Rho1 has multiple functions in Drosophila wing planar polarity. Dev Biol. 2009;333:186-99 pubmed publisher..The upstream function may be an indirect one and associated with the requirement for normal apical basal polarity and adherens junctions for the accumulation of PCP protein complexes. ..
- Homem C, Peifer M. Diaphanous regulates myosin and adherens junctions to control cell contractility and protrusive behavior during morphogenesis. Development. 2008;135:1005-18 pubmed publisher..These effects also are mediated through coordinated effects on myosin activity and adhesion, suggesting a common mechanism for Diaphanous action during morphogenesis. ..
- Mizuno T, Tsutsui K, Nishida Y. Drosophila myosin phosphatase and its role in dorsal closure. Development. 2002;129:1215-23 pubmed..The results indicate an important role for myosin phosphatase in morphogenesis. ..
- Crest J, Concha Moore K, Sullivan W. RhoGEF and positioning of rappaport-like furrows in the early Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2037-41 pubmed publisher..We identify the maternally supplied RhoGEF2 as a key factor in metaphase furrow positioning...
- Chen G, Gajowniczek P, Settleman J. Rho-LIM kinase signaling regulates ecdysone-induced gene expression and morphogenesis during Drosophila metamorphosis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:309-13 pubmed..Together, these findings indicate a link between Rho-LIMK signaling and steroid hormone-induced gene expression in the context of metamorphosis and thereby establish a novel role for the Rho GTPase in development. ..
- Wenzl C, Yan S, Laupsien P, Grosshans J. Localization of RhoGEF2 during Drosophila cellularization is developmentally controlled by Slam. Mech Dev. 2010;127:371-84 pubmed publisher..During Drosophila cellularization Rho signalling and RhoGEF2 are involved in furrow canal formation and the organization of actin and myosin...
- Massarwa R, Schejter E, Shilo B. Apical secretion in epithelial tubes of the Drosophila embryo is directed by the Formin-family protein Diaphanous. Dev Cell. 2009;16:877-88 pubmed publisher..This mechanism allows efficient utilization of the entire apical membrane for secretion. ..
- Rogers S, Wiedemann U, Hacker U, Turck C, Vale R. Drosophila RhoGEF2 associates with microtubule plus ends in an EB1-dependent manner. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1827-33 pubmed..During Drosophila embryogenesis, a Galpha subunit (Concertina) and a Rho-type guanine nucleotide exchange factor (DRhoGEF2) have been implicated in the dramatic epithelial-cell shape changes that occur during gastrulation and ..
- Cao J, Albertson R, Riggs B, Field C, Sullivan W. Nuf, a Rab11 effector, maintains cytokinetic furrow integrity by promoting local actin polymerization. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:301-13 pubmed publisher..We also find that RhoGEF2 does not properly localize at the furrow in nuf mutant embryos and that RhoGEF2-Rho1 pathway components show ..
- Kölsch V, Seher T, Fernandez Ballester G, Serrano L, Leptin M. Control of Drosophila gastrulation by apical localization of adherens junctions and RhoGEF2. Science. 2007;315:384-6 pubmed..Together with G protein signaling, T48 recruits adherens junctions and the cytoskeletal regulator RhoGEF2 to the sites of apical constriction, ensuring rapid and intense changes in cell shape.
- Simoes S, Denholm B, Azevedo D, Sotillos S, Martin P, Skaer H, et al. Compartmentalisation of Rho regulators directs cell invagination during tissue morphogenesis. Development. 2006;133:4257-67 pubmed..At least two Rho1 activators, RhoGEF2 and RhoGEF64C are localised apically, whereas the Rho inhibitor RhoGAP Cv-c localises at the basolateral membrane...
- Ward R, Evans J, Thummel C. Genetic modifier screens in Drosophila demonstrate a role for Rho1 signaling in ecdysone-triggered imaginal disc morphogenesis. Genetics. 2003;165:1397-415 pubmed
- Brumby A, Goulding K, Schlosser T, Loi S, Galea R, Khoo P, et al. Identification of novel Ras-cooperating oncogenes in Drosophila melanogaster: a RhoGEF/Rho-family/JNK pathway is a central driver of tumorigenesis. Genetics. 2011;188:105-25 pubmed publisher..Ras(ACT)-cooperating genes identified were Rac1 Rho1, RhoGEF2, pbl, rib, and east, which encode cell morphology regulators...
- Mulinari S, Barmchi M, Hacker U. DRhoGEF2 and diaphanous regulate contractile force during segmental groove morphogenesis in the Drosophila embryo. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1883-92 pubmed publisher..One of these factors, DRhoGEF2, plays an important role in the constriction of actin filaments during pole cell formation, blastoderm ..
- Grosshans J, Wenzl C, Herz H, Bartoszewski S, Schnorrer F, Vogt N, et al. RhoGEF2 and the formin Dia control the formation of the furrow canal by directed actin assembly during Drosophila cellularisation. Development. 2005;132:1009-20 pubmed..We show that both the guanyl-nucleotide exchange factor RhoGEF2 and the formin Diaphanous (Dia) are required for furrow canal formation...
- Ng J, Luo L. Rho GTPases regulate axon growth through convergent and divergent signaling pathways. Neuron. 2004;44:779-93 pubmed..These genetic analyses reveal convergent and divergent pathways from Rho GTPases to the cytoskeleton during axon growth in vivo and suggest that different developmental outcomes could be achieved by biases in pathway selection...
- Nikolaidou K, Barrett K. A Rho GTPase signaling pathway is used reiteratively in epithelial folding and potentially selects the outcome of Rho activation. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1822-6 pubmed..We show here that in vivo, DRhoGEF2, a GEF that is ubiquitously expressed and specific for Rho1, is reiteratively required for epithelial folding and ..
- Lee D, Harris T. An Arf-GEF regulates antagonism between endocytosis and the cytoskeleton for Drosophila blastoderm development. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2110-20 pubmed publisher..Endocytosis also regulates the PM and can be promoted or inhibited by cytoskeletal networks. However, endocytic regulation of the general membrane cytoskeleton is undocumented...
- Dawes Hoang R, Parmar K, Christiansen A, Phelps C, Brand A, Wieschaus E. folded gastrulation, cell shape change and the control of myosin localization. Development. 2005;132:4165-78 pubmed..We determine that this contractility driven form of localization involves RhoGEF2 and the downstream effector Rho kinase...
- Fox D, Homem C, Myster S, Wang F, Bain E, Peifer M. Rho1 regulates Drosophila adherens junctions independently of p120ctn. Development. 2005;132:4819-31 pubmed..These data suggest Rho1 regulates AJs during morphogenesis, but this regulation is p120 independent. ..
- Magie C, Meyer M, Gorsuch M, Parkhurst S. Mutations in the Rho1 small GTPase disrupt morphogenesis and segmentation during early Drosophila development. Development. 1999;126:5353-64 pubmed..We also show that Rho1 interacts both genetically and physically with concertina, a G(alpha) protein involved in cell shape changes during gastrulation. ..
- Muyskens J, Guillemin K. Helicobacter pylori CagA disrupts epithelial patterning by activating myosin light chain. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17856 pubmed publisher..Therefore, in our transgenic system, CagA is targeted by EPIYA motifs to a specific apical region of the epithelium where it efficiently activates MLC to disrupt epithelial integrity. ..
- Kolesnikov T, Beckendorf S. 18 wheeler regulates apical constriction of salivary gland cells via the Rho-GTPase-signaling pathway. Dev Biol. 2007;307:53-61 pubmedRho GTPase and its upstream activator, guanine nucleotide exchange factor 2 (RhoGEF2), have emerged as key regulators of actin rearrangements during epithelial folding and invagination (Nikolaidou, K.K., Barrett, K. (2004)...
- Aranjuez G, Burtscher A, Sawant K, Majumder P, McDonald J. Dynamic myosin activation promotes collective morphology and migration by locally balancing oppositional forces from surrounding tissue. Mol Biol Cell. 2016;27:1898-910 pubmed publisher..We propose that dynamic actomyosin tension at the periphery of collectives facilitates their movement through restrictive tissues. ..
- Mulinari S, Hacker U. Hedgehog, but not Odd skipped, induces segmental grooves in the Drosophila epidermis. Development. 2009;136:3875-80 pubmed publisher..Wingless activity is continuously required in the posterior part of parasegments to antagonize segmental groove formation. Our data support an instructive role for the Wingless/Hedgehog organizer in cellular patterning. ..
- Turkel N, Portela M, Poon C, Li J, Brumby A, Richardson H. Cooperation of the BTB-Zinc finger protein, Abrupt, with cytoskeletal regulators in Drosophila epithelial tumorigenesis. Biol Open. 2015;4:1024-39 pubmed publisher..Herein, we show that co-expression of ab with actin cytoskeletal regulators, RhoGEF2 or Src64B, in the developing eye-antennal epithelial tissue results in the formation of overgrown amorphous ..
- Knust E, Muller H. Drosophila morphogenesis: orchestrating cell rearrangements. Curr Biol. 1998;8:R853-5 pubmed..Recent results have shown that, during Drosophila gastrulation, multiple signalling pathways act to orchestrate the complex cell rearrangements. ..
- Vereshchagina N, Bennett D, Szoor B, Kirchner J, Gross S, Vissi E, et al. The essential role of PP1beta in Drosophila is to regulate nonmuscle myosin. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:4395-405 pubmed..The similarity between fly and human PP1beta and MYPT genes suggests this role may be conserved. ..
- Vlachos S, Harden N. Genetic evidence for antagonism between Pak protein kinase and Rho1 small GTPase signaling in regulation of the actin cytoskeleton during Drosophila oogenesis. Genetics. 2011;187:501-12 pubmed publisher..pak mutant follicle cell clones in elongating egg chambers, probably due at least in part to mislocalization of RhoGEF2, an activator of the Rho1 pathway...
- Mavrakis M, Azou Gros Y, Tsai F, Alvarado J, Bertin A, Iv F, et al. Septins promote F-actin ring formation by crosslinking actin filaments into curved bundles. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:322-34 pubmed publisher..The bundling and bending activities are conserved for human septins, and highlight unique functions of septins in the organization of contractile actomyosin rings. ..
- Lee D, Harris T. Coordinating the cytoskeleton and endocytosis for regulated plasma membrane growth in the early Drosophila embryo. Bioarchitecture. 2014;4:68-74 pubmed publisher..More generally, it provides a model for understanding how cytoskeletal-endocytic cross-talk regulates the assembly of a cell. ..
- CÃ³rdoba S, Estella C. The bHLH-PAS transcription factor dysfusion regulates tarsal joint formation in response to Notch activity during drosophila leg development. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004621 pubmed publisher..of the pro-apoptotic genes reaper and head involution defective and the expression of the RhoGTPases modulators, RhoGEf2 and RhoGap71E, thus directing key morphogenetic events required for tarsal joint development...
- Akdemir F, Farkas R, Chen P, Juhasz G, Medved ová L, Sass M, et al. Autophagy occurs upstream or parallel to the apoptosome during histolytic cell death. Development. 2006;133:1457-65 pubmed
- Spahn P, Reuter R. A vertex model of Drosophila ventral furrow formation. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e75051 pubmed publisher..Our results show that ventral furrow formation can be accomplished as a "tug-of-war" between stochastically contracting, mechanically coupled cells and may require less rigorous regulation than previously thought...
- Sotillos S, Aguilar M, Hombria J. Forces shaping a Hox morphogenetic gene network. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:4303-8 pubmed publisher..This experimental-based hypothesis proposes how the frequently observed complex organogenetic gene networks are put together. ..
- Asha H, De Ruiter N, Wang M, Hariharan I. The Rap1 GTPase functions as a regulator of morphogenesis in vivo. EMBO J. 1999;18:605-15 pubmed..Rap1 mutations also disrupt cell migrations and cause abnormalities in cell shape. These findings indicate a role for Rap proteins as regulators of morphogenesis in vivo. ..
- Ryder E, Blows F, Ashburner M, Bautista Llacer R, Coulson D, Drummond J, et al. The DrosDel collection: a set of P-element insertions for generating custom chromosomal aberrations in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;167:797-813 pubmed..In addition, a further 37,000 deletions, selectable by molecular screening, may be generated. We are now using the collection to generate a second-generation deficiency kit that is precisely mapped to the genome sequence. ..
- Baer M, Bilstein A, Leptin M. A clonal genetic screen for mutants causing defects in larval tracheal morphogenesis in Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:2279-91 pubmed..In particular we found a range of defects in terminal cells, including failure in lumen formation and reduced or extensive branching. Other mutations affect cell growth, cell shape, and cell migration. ..
- Johnson T, Moore K, Whisstock J, Warr C. Maternal Torso-Like Coordinates Tissue Folding During Drosophila Gastrulation. Genetics. 2017;206:1459-1468 pubmed publisher..Consistent with these data, we find that loss of tsl is sensitive to gene dosage of RhoGEF2, a critical mediator of Rho1-dependent ventral cell shape changes during furrow formation, suggesting that ..
- Fox D, Peifer M. Abelson kinase (Abl) and RhoGEF2 regulate actin organization during cell constriction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:567-78 pubmed..gastrulation, have identified a signaling pathway involving the G-protein Concertina (Cta) and the Rho activator RhoGEF2. Although these regulators act to promote stable myosin accumulation and apical cell constriction, loss-of-..
- Laplante C, Nilson L. Asymmetric distribution of Echinoid defines the epidermal leading edge during Drosophila dorsal closure. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:335-48 pubmed publisher..The planar polarized distribution of Ed in the DME cells thus provides a spatial cue that polarizes the DME cell actin cytoskeleton, defining the epidermal leading edge and establishing its contractile properties. ..
- Rodriguez A, Oliver H, Zou H, Chen P, Wang X, Abrams J. Dark is a Drosophila homologue of Apaf-1/CED-4 and functions in an evolutionarily conserved death pathway. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:272-9 pubmed..These findings establish dark as an important apoptosis effector in Drosophila and raise profound evolutionary considerations concerning the relationship between mitochondrial components and the apoptosis-promoting machinery. ..
- Nakamura M, Verboon J, Parkhurst S. Prepatterning by RhoGEFs governs Rho GTPase spatiotemporal dynamics during wound repair. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:3959-3969 pubmed publisher..is involved in an early, Rho family-independent, actin stabilization that is integral to the formation of one RhoGEF array...
- Sailem H, Bousgouni V, Cooper S, Bakal C. Cross-talk between Rho and Rac GTPases drives deterministic exploration of cellular shape space and morphological heterogeneity. Open Biol. 2014;4:130132 pubmed publisher..We validate the predictions made by our model using live-cell imaging. Our work explains how cross-talk between Rho and Rac can generate different cell shapes, and thus morphological heterogeneity, in genetically identical populations...
- Peters K, Rogers S. Drosophila Ric-8 interacts with the G?12/13 subunit, Concertina, during activation of the Folded gastrulation pathway. Mol Biol Cell. 2013;24:3460-71 pubmed publisher..We also use this system to conduct a structure-function analysis of Ric-8 and identify key residues required for both Cta interaction and cellular contractility. ..
- Webb R, Zhou M, McCartney B. A novel role for an APC2-Diaphanous complex in regulating actin organization in Drosophila. Development. 2009;136:1283-93 pubmed publisher..formins are activated by Rho family GTPases, our data suggest that the APC2-DIA complex might be independent of RHOGEF2 and RHO1...
- Manning A, Peters K, Peifer M, Rogers S. Regulation of epithelial morphogenesis by the G protein-coupled receptor mist and its ligand fog. Sci Signal. 2013;6:ra98 pubmed publisher..Our data revealed how a cell fate transcriptional program acts through a ligand-GPCR pair to stimulate epithelial morphogenetic shape changes. ..
- Kango Singh M, Nolo R, Tao C, Verstreken P, Hiesinger P, Bellen H, et al. Shar-pei mediates cell proliferation arrest during imaginal disc growth in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:5719-30 pubmed..We have identified mutations in a novel gene, shar-pei, that is required for proper termination of cell proliferation during Drosophila imaginal disc development...
- Patch K, Stewart S, Welch A, Ward R. A second-site noncomplementation screen for modifiers of Rho1 signaling during imaginal disc morphogenesis in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7574 pubmed publisher..secondary screening we identified six Rho1-interacting genes including three that were previously identified (RhoGEF2, broad, and stubbloid), thereby validating the screen...
- Chang Y, Zhou L, Binari R, Manoukian A, Mak T, McNeill H, et al. The Rho Guanine Nucleotide Exchange Factor DRhoGEF2 Is a Genetic Modifier of the PI3K Pathway in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0152259 pubmed publisher..genetic screen, we discovered that mutations of a Dbl-family member, the guanine nucleotide exchange factor DRhoGEF2 (DRhoGEF22(l)04291), suppressed the PTEN-overexpression eye phenotype...
- Bulgakova N, Grigoriev I, Yap A, Akhmanova A, Brown N. Dynamic microtubules produce an asymmetric E-cadherin-Bazooka complex to maintain segment boundaries. J Cell Biol. 2013;201:887-901 pubmed publisher..This inhibits RhoGEF2, reducing membrane recruitment of Rho-kinase, and increasing a specific E-cadherin pool that is mobile when ..
- Khoo P, Allan K, Willoughby L, Brumby A, Richardson H. In Drosophila, RhoGEF2 cooperates with activated Ras in tumorigenesis through a pathway involving Rho1-Rok-Myosin-II and JNK signalling. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:661-78 pubmed publisher..allele of Ras (Ras(ACT)) to promote tissue overgrowth and invasion, we identified the GTP exchange factor RhoGEF2, an activator of Rho-family signalling...
- Azevedo D, Antunes M, Prag S, Ma X, Hacker U, Brodland G, et al. DRhoGEF2 regulates cellular tension and cell pulsations in the Amnioserosa during Drosophila dorsal closure. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e23964 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that DRhoGEF2 is a key regulator of apical pulsation and constriction of amnioserosal cells during Drosophila dorsal closure...
- Sutherland J, Witke W. Molecular genetic approaches to understanding the actin cytoskeleton. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1999;11:142-51 pubmed..Yeast, Dictyostelium, Caenorhabditis elegans, Drosophila, and mice have contributed much in recent years to a better understanding of both the numerous functions and modes of regulation of the actin cytoskeleton. ..
- Das A, Shah S, Fan B, Paik D, DiSanto D, Hinman A, et al. Spindle Assembly and Chromosome Segregation Requires Central Spindle Proteins in Drosophila Oocytes. Genetics. 2016;202:61-75 pubmed publisher..system, that the Centralspindlin component RacGAP50C and downstream regulators of cytokinesis Rho1, Sticky, and RhoGEF2 are required for homologous chromosome bi-orientation in metaphase I oocytes...
- Kerridge S, Munjal A, Philippe J, Jha A, de Las Bayonas A, Saurin A, et al. Modular activation of Rho1 by GPCR signalling imparts polarized myosin II activation during morphogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 2016;18:261-70 pubmed publisher..We propose that GPCR and G proteins constitute a general pathway for controlling actomyosin contractility in epithelia and that the activity of this pathway is polarized by tissue-specific regulators. ..
- Sotillos S, Campuzano S. DRacGAP, a novel Drosophila gene, inhibits EGFR/Ras signalling in the developing imaginal wing disc. Development. 2000;127:5427-38 pubmed..Hence, control of DRacGAP expression by the EGFR/Ras pathway is a previously undescribed feedback mechanism modulating the intensity and/or duration of its signalling during Drosophila development. ..
- Grosshans J, Wieschaus E. A genetic link between morphogenesis and cell division during formation of the ventral furrow in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;101:523-31 pubmed..When overexpressed in a microinjection assay, Tribbles directly inhibits mitosis. We propose that Frühstart and Tribbles form a link between the morphogenetic movements and mitotic control. ..