Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rho
Alias: CG1004, DMRHO, DMRHOa, DMRHOb, DRORHO, DmRho1, Dmel\CG1004, Dmel\rho, Dmrho, RHO, RHOb, Rho, Rho-1, Rho1, iks, rho-1, rho1, rhom, rhomboid/veinlet, rhomboid, CG1004-PA, CG1004-PB, rho-PA, rho-PB, rhomboid 1, rhomboid-1, rhomboid/veinlet, rhomboid1, veinlet
Species: fruit fly
- Nishimura M, Inoue Y, Hayashi S. A wave of EGFR signaling determines cell alignment and intercalation in the Drosophila tracheal placode. Development. 2007;134:4273-82 pubmed
- Chen C, Kühnlein R, Eulenberg K, Vincent S, Affolter M, Schuh R. The transcription factors KNIRPS and KNIRPS RELATED control cell migration and branch morphogenesis during Drosophila tracheal development. Development. 1998;125:4959-68 pubmed..Furthermore, we provide evidence that the border between cells acquiring dorsal branch and dorsal trunk identity is established by the direct interaction of KNIRPS with a spalt cis-regulatory element. ..
- Skeath J. The Drosophila EGF receptor controls the formation and specification of neuroblasts along the dorsal-ventral axis of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1998;125:3301-12 pubmed..In addition, I demonstrate that the concomitant loss of rhomboid and vein yield CNS phenotypes indistinguishable from DER mutant embryos, even though loss of either gene alone ..
- Bradley P, Andrew D. ribbon encodes a novel BTB/POZ protein required for directed cell migration in Drosophila melanogaster. Development. 2001;128:3001-15 pubmed..Directed cell migration of the salivary gland and dorsal epidermis are also affected in ribbon mutants, suggesting that conserved mechanisms may be employed to orient cell migrations in multiple tissues during development. ..
- Jordan K, Clegg N, Blasi J, Morimoto A, Sen J, Stein D, et al. The homeobox gene mirror links EGF signalling to embryonic dorso-ventral axis formation through notch activation. Nat Genet. 2000;24:429-33 pubmed..Ectopic expression of mirr in the posterior follicle cells induces a stripe of rhomboid (rho) expression and represses pipe (pip), a gene with a role in the establishment of the dorsal-ventral axis, at ..
- Yakoby N, Lembong J, Schupbach T, Shvartsman S. Drosophila eggshell is patterned by sequential action of feedforward and feedback loops. Development. 2008;135:343-51 pubmed..This mechanism demonstrates how complex patterns of gene expression can emerge from simple inputs, through the interaction of regulatory network motifs. ..
- Nakamura Y, Kagesawa T, Nishikawa M, Hayashi Y, Kobayashi S, Niimi T, et al. Soma-dependent modulations contribute to divergence of rhomboid expression during evolution of Drosophila eggshell morphology. Development. 2007;134:1529-37 pubmed publisher..melanogaster has two DAs and D. virilis has four. Diversification in the expression pattern of rhomboid (rho), which activates EGFR signaling in somatic follicle cells, could cause the evolutionary divergence of DA ..
- Urban S, Brown G, Freeman M. EGF receptor signalling protects smooth-cuticle cells from apoptosis during Drosophila ventral epidermis development. Development. 2004;131:1835-45 pubmed..factors stimulate EGFR signalling to promote smooth-cuticle cell survival: in addition to the spitz group genes, Rhomboid-3/roughoid, but not Rhomboid-2 or -4, and the neuregulin-like ligand Vein also function in survival signalling...
- Astigarraga S, Grossman R, Diaz Delfin J, Caelles C, Paroush Z, Jiménez G. A MAPK docking site is critical for downregulation of Capicua by Torso and EGFR RTK signaling. EMBO J. 2007;26:668-77 pubmed..Finally, we describe differences in the modes of Capicua downregulation by Torso and EGFR signaling, raising the possibility that such differences contribute to the tissue specificity of both signals. ..
- Urban S. Rhomboid proteins: conserved membrane proteases with divergent biological functions. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3054-68 pubmedThe rhomboid gene was discovered in Drosophila, where it encodes a seven transmembrane protein that is the signal-generating component of epidermal growth factor (EGF) receptor signaling during development...
- Fristrom D, Gotwals P, Eaton S, Kornberg T, Sturtevant M, Bier E, et al. Blistered: a gene required for vein/intervein formation in wings of Drosophila. Development. 1994;120:2661-71 pubmed..i) rhomboid, a component of the EGF-R signalling pathway, is expressed in vein cells and is required for specification of ..
- Biemar F, Nix D, Piel J, Peterson B, Ronshaugen M, Sementchenko V, et al. Comprehensive identification of Drosophila dorsal-ventral patterning genes using a whole-genome tiling array. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12763-8 pubmed..We discuss the potential functions of these recently identified genes and suggest that intronic enhancers are a common feature of the DV gene network. ..
- Bier E. Drawing lines in the Drosophila wing: initiation of wing vein development. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2000;10:393-8 pubmed..As a consequence of this constraint, cells lying in a narrow line immediately outside the signal-producing domain are the only cells that can respond to the signal by activating expression of vein-promoting genes. ..
- Ainsworth C, Wan S, Skaer H. Coordinating cell fate and morphogenesis in Drosophila renal tubules. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2000;355:931-7 pubmed..We show that the regulator of Rac, Myoblast city is essential for this second morphogenetic process. ..
- Ruohola Baker H, Grell E, Chou T, Baker D, Jan L, Jan Y. Spatially localized rhomboid is required for establishment of the dorsal-ventral axis in Drosophila oogenesis. Cell. 1993;73:953-65 pubmed..We show that rhomboid (rho), a novel member of this group, encodes a protein that is localized on the apical surface of the dorsal-..
- Cela C, Llimargas M. Egfr is essential for maintaining epithelial integrity during tracheal remodelling in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:3115-25 pubmed..This finding establishes a link between a developmental pathway governing tracheal formation and cell adhesiveness. ..
- Lee J, Urban S, Garvey C, Freeman M. Regulated intracellular ligand transport and proteolysis control EGF signal activation in Drosophila. Cell. 2001;107:161-71 pubmedThe membrane proteins Star and Rhomboid-1 have been genetically defined as the primary regulators of EGF receptor activation in Drosophila, but their molecular mechanisms have been elusive...
- Tsruya R, Wojtalla A, Carmon S, Yogev S, Reich A, Bibi E, et al. Rhomboid cleaves Star to regulate the levels of secreted Spitz. EMBO J. 2007;26:1211-20 pubmed..cells, Spi is trafficked from the endoplasmic reticulum to the late endosome compartment, also enriched for Rhomboid, an intramembrane protease...
- Kerber B, Fellert S, Hoch M. Seven-up, the Drosophila homolog of the COUP-TF orphan receptors, controls cell proliferation in the insect kidney. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1781-6 pubmed..Seven-up in turn is capable of regulating the transcription of cell cycle regulators. ..
- Culi J, Martin Blanco E, Modolell J. The EGF receptor and N signalling pathways act antagonistically in Drosophila mesothorax bristle patterning. Development. 2001;128:299-308 pubmed..Excess EGFR signalling can overrule lateral inhibition and allow adjacent cells to become SMCs and sensory organs. Thus, the EGFR and Notch pathways act antagonistically in notum macrochaetae determination. ..
- Xiao H, Hrdlicka L, Nambu J. Alternate functions of the single-minded and rhomboid genes in development of the Drosophila ventral neuroectoderm. Mech Dev. 1996;58:65-74 pubmedWe have investigated the roles of the single-minded (sim) and rhomboid (rho) genes in generating distinct cell fates in the Drosophila embryonic neuroectoderm...
- Gabay L, Seger R, Shilo B. MAP kinase in situ activation atlas during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1997;124:3535-41 pubmed..Since the antibody was raised against the phosphorylated form of a conserved ERK peptide containing the TEY motif, this approach is applicable to a wide spectrum of multicellular organisms. ..
- Queenan A, Ghabrial A, Schupbach T. Ectopic activation of torpedo/Egfr, a Drosophila receptor tyrosine kinase, dorsalizes both the eggshell and the embryo. Development. 1997;124:3871-80 pubmed..The expression of genes known to respond to top/Egfr activation, argos (aos), kekkon1 (kek 1) and rhomboid (rho), was also expanded in the presence of the lambda top construct...
- Dorman J, James K, Fraser S, Kiehart D, Berg C. bullwinkle is required for epithelial morphogenesis during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2004;267:320-41 pubmed..Floor cells lack Broad, express the rhomboid-lacZ marker, and form the floor by directed cell elongation...
- Peri F, Technau M, Roth S. Mechanisms of Gurken-dependent pipe regulation and the robustness of dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:2965-75 pubmed..This indicates that potent inhibitory processes prevent pipe dependent Toll activation at the dorsal side of the egg. ..
- Castanon I, Von Stetina S, Kass J, Baylies M. Dimerization partners determine the activity of the Twist bHLH protein during Drosophila mesoderm development. Development. 2001;128:3145-59 pubmed..Moreover, this work provides a paradigm for understanding how the same protein controls a sequence of events within a single lineage. ..
- Kim M, Lee J, Koh H, Lee S, Jang C, Chung C, et al. Inhibition of ERK-MAP kinase signaling by RSK during Drosophila development. EMBO J. 2006;25:3056-67 pubmed..Collectively, our study reveals a novel regulatory mechanism of the Ras/ERK pathway by RSK, which negatively regulates ERK activity by acting as a cytoplasmic anchor in Drosophila. ..
- Baker R, Young K, Feng L, Shi Y, Urban S. Enzymatic analysis of a rhomboid intramembrane protease implicates transmembrane helix 5 as the lateral substrate gate. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:8257-62 pubmed..Recent high-resolution crystal structures have revealed that rhomboid proteases contain a catalytic serine recessed into the plane of the membrane, within a hydrophilic cavity that ..
- Wasserman J, Urban S, Freeman M. A family of rhomboid-like genes: Drosophila rhomboid-1 and roughoid/rhomboid-3 cooperate to activate EGF receptor signaling. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1651-63 pubmed..The rate limiting component of Drosophila Egfr signaling is Rhomboid, a seven transmembrane domain protein, whose expression prefigures Egfr signaling...
- Yu K, Sturtevant M, Biehs B, Francois V, Padgett R, Blackman R, et al. The Drosophila decapentaplegic and short gastrulation genes function antagonistically during adult wing vein development. Development. 1996;122:4033-44 pubmed..in dpp and sog mutant wings suggests that dpp promotes vein fates indirectly by activating the vein gene rhomboid (rho), and that sog functions by blocking an autoactivating Dpp feedback loop...
- Strisovsky K, Sharpe H, Freeman M. Sequence-specific intramembrane proteolysis: identification of a recognition motif in rhomboid substrates. Mol Cell. 2009;36:1048-59 pubmed publisherMembers of the widespread rhomboid family of intramembrane proteases cleave transmembrane domain (TMD) proteins to regulate processes as diverse as EGF receptor signaling, mitochondrial dynamics, and invasion by apicomplexan parasites...
- Kagesawa T, Nakamura Y, Nishikawa M, Akiyama Y, Kajiwara M, Matsuno K. Distinct activation patterns of EGF receptor signaling in the homoplastic evolution of eggshell morphology in genus Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2008;125:1020-32 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that acquisition of the homoplastic two-DA characteristic could be explained by modifications of the EGFR signaling system in the genus Drosophila that occurred independently and at least twice during evolution. ..
- Gray S, Szymanski P, Levine M. Short-range repression permits multiple enhancers to function autonomously within a complex promoter. Genes Dev. 1994;8:1829-38 pubmed..sna is not a dedicated repressor but, instead, appears to block disparate activators. We discuss the importance of quenching as a means of permitting separate enhancers to function autonomously within a complex promoter. ..
- Roth S, Schupbach T. The relationship between ovarian and embryonic dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila. Development. 1994;120:2245-57 pubmed
- Wasserman J, Freeman M. An autoregulatory cascade of EGF receptor signaling patterns the Drosophila egg. Cell. 1998;95:355-64 pubmed..Spitz only becomes an effective ligand in the presence of the multitransmembrane domain protein Rhomboid. Consequent high-level EGFR activation leads to localized expression of the diffusible inhibitor Argos, which ..
- Peri F, Roth S. Combined activities of Gurken and decapentaplegic specify dorsal chorion structures of the Drosophila egg. Development. 2000;127:841-50 pubmed..This intersection also induces rhomboid expression and thereby initiates the positive feedback loop of EGF receptor activation, which positions the ..
- Marenda D, Vrailas A, Rodrigues A, Cook S, Powers M, Lorenzen J, et al. MAP kinase subcellular localization controls both pattern and proliferation in the developing Drosophila wing. Development. 2006;133:43-51 pubmed
- Dumstrei K, Nassif C, Abboud G, Aryai A, Hartenstein V. EGFR signaling is required for the differentiation and maintenance of neural progenitors along the dorsal midline of the Drosophila embryonic head. Development. 1998;125:3417-26 pubmed..activation of the TGFalpha homolog Spitz (Spi) in the mesectoderm is achieved by the products of the genes rhomboid and Star...
- Li Kroeger D, Witt L, Grimes H, Cook T, Gebelein B. Hox and senseless antagonism functions as a molecular switch to regulate EGF secretion in the Drosophila PNS. Dev Cell. 2008;15:298-308 pubmed publisher..b>rhomboid expression in a subset of sensory cells stimulates EGF secretion to induce hepatocyte-like cell development...
- Urban S, Schlieper D, Freeman M. Conservation of intramembrane proteolytic activity and substrate specificity in prokaryotic and eukaryotic rhomboids. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1507-12 pubmedb>Rhomboid is an intramembrane serine protease responsible for the proteolytic activation of Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) ligands...
- Diaz Benjumea F, Hafen E. The sevenless signalling cassette mediates Drosophila EGF receptor function during epidermal development. Development. 1994;120:569-78 pubmed..It appears that these components form a signalling cassette, which mediates all aspects of DER signalling but that is not required for other signalling processes during epidermal development. ..
- Sudarsan V, Pasalodos Sanchez S, Wan S, Gampel A, Skaer H. A genetic hierarchy establishes mitogenic signalling and mitotic competence in the renal tubules of Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:935-44 pubmed..by EGF receptor signalling from a specialised subset of tubule cells, the tip cells, which express the protease Rhomboid and are thus able to secrete the EGF ligand, Spitz...
- Erives A, Levine M. Coordinate enhancers share common organizational features in the Drosophila genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:3851-6 pubmed..Organized binding sites should facilitate the identification of regulatory codes that link primary DNA sequence information with predicted patterns of gene activity. ..
- Golembo M, Raz E, Shilo B. The Drosophila embryonic midline is the site of Spitz processing, and induces activation of the EGF receptor in the ventral ectoderm. Development. 1996;122:3363-70 pubmed..This work shows that the midline provides the site for Spitz expression and processing. The Rhomboid and Star proteins are also expressed and required in the midline...
- Merabet S, Hombria J, Hu N, Pradel J, Graba Y. Hox-controlled reorganisation of intrasegmental patterning cues underlies Drosophila posterior spiracle organogenesis. Development. 2005;132:3093-102 pubmed..during posterior spiracle organogenesis is to reset A8 intrasegmental patterning cues, first by reshaping wg and rhomboid expression patterns, then by reallocating the Hh signal and later by initiating de novo expression of the ..
- Corl A, Berger K, Ophir Shohat G, Gesch J, Simms J, Bartlett S, et al. Happyhour, a Ste20 family kinase, implicates EGFR signaling in ethanol-induced behaviors. Cell. 2009;137:949-60 pubmed publisher..Inhibitors of the EGFR or components of its signaling pathway are thus potential pharmacotherapies for AUDs...
- Terriente Félix A, de Celis J. Osa, a subunit of the BAP chromatin-remodelling complex, participates in the regulation of gene expression in response to EGFR signalling in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2009;329:350-61 pubmed publisher..In addition, Osa is required for the expression of several targets of EGFR signalling, such as Delta, rhomboid and argos...
- Yang L, Baker N. Cell cycle withdrawal, progression, and cell survival regulation by EGFR and its effectors in the differentiating Drosophila eye. Dev Cell. 2003;4:359-69 pubmed..Our results suggest that, rather than triggering all or none responses, EGFR coordinates partially independent processes as the eye differentiates. ..
- Reich A, Shilo B. Keren, a new ligand of the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor, undergoes two modes of cleavage. EMBO J. 2002;21:4287-96 pubmed..To allow cleavage, Star transports Spi to the Golgi, where it undergoes cleavage by Rhomboid (Rho)...
- Brodu V, Elstob P, Gould A. abdominal A specifies one cell type in Drosophila by regulating one principal target gene. Development. 2002;129:2957-63 pubmed..We use Hox mutant rescue assays to demonstrate that this function of abdA can be reconstituted by providing Rhomboid (Rho), a processing factor for the EGF receptor ligand, secreted Spitz...
- Jiang H, Edgar B. EGFR signaling regulates the proliferation of Drosophila adult midgut progenitors. Development. 2009;136:483-93 pubmed publisher..Two stronger EGFR ligands, Spitz and Keren, are expressed by the AMPs themselves and provide an additional, autocrine mitogenic stimulus to the AMPs during late larval stages. ..
- Urban S, Lee J, Freeman M. A family of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases activates all Drosophila membrane-tethered EGF ligands. EMBO J. 2002;21:4277-86 pubmed..by regulated intracellular translocation and cleavage by the transmembrane proteins Star and the protease Rhomboid-1, respectively. Rhomboid-1 is a member of a family of seven similar proteins in Drosophila...
- Ratnaparkhi G, Duong H, Courey A. Dorsal interacting protein 3 potentiates activation by Drosophila Rel homology domain proteins. Dev Comp Immunol. 2008;32:1290-300 pubmed publisher..Chromatin immunoprecipitation experiments in S2 cells indicate the presence of Dip3 at the promoters of these genes, and this binding requires the presence of Rel proteins at these promoters. ..
- Perrimon N. Signalling pathways initiated by receptor protein tyrosine kinases in Drosophila. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1994;6:260-6 pubmed..e. Grb2, Sos, Ras-Gap, p21ras, Raf, MEK and MAPK, genetic studies have suggested that two novel proteins, the protein tyrosine phosphatase (PTPase) Csw and the transmembrane protein Rho, are involved in RPTK signalling.
- Jiang J, Levine M. Binding affinities and cooperative interactions with bHLH activators delimit threshold responses to the dorsal gradient morphogen. Cell. 1993;72:741-52 pubmed..We discuss how enhancers serve as templates to bring weakly interacting regulatory factors into close proximity so that they can function combinatorially to activate and repress transcription. ..
- zur Lage P, Jarman A. Antagonism of EGFR and notch signalling in the reiterative recruitment of Drosophila adult chordotonal sense organ precursors. Development. 1999;126:3149-57 pubmed..SOP recruitment is reiterative because the inductive signal comes from previously recruited SOPs. ..
- Ward E, Zhou X, Riddiford L, Berg C, Ruohola Baker H. Border of Notch activity establishes a boundary between the two dorsal appendage tube cell types. Dev Biol. 2006;297:461-70 pubmed..We show that Notch signaling establishes the boundary between two types of post-mitotic epithelial cells, the Rhomboid- and the Broad-positive cells...
- Schulz C, Wood C, Jones D, Tazuke S, Fuller M. Signaling from germ cells mediated by the rhomboid homolog stet organizes encapsulation by somatic support cells. Development. 2002;129:4523-34 pubmed..stet encodes a homolog of rhomboid, a component of the epidermal growth factor receptor signaling pathway involved in ligand activation in the ..
- Yogev S, Schejter E, Shilo B. Drosophila EGFR signalling is modulated by differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid intramembrane proteases. EMBO J. 2008;27:1219-30 pubmed publisherWe explore the role of differential compartmentalization of Rhomboid (Rho) proteases that process the Drosophila EGF receptor ligands, in modulating the amount of secreted ligand and consequently the level of EGF receptor (EGFR) ..
- Bergmann A, Tugentman M, Shilo B, Steller H. Regulation of cell number by MAPK-dependent control of apoptosis: a mechanism for trophic survival signaling. Dev Cell. 2002;2:159-70 pubmed..Therefore, a direct pathway linking a specific extracellular survival factor with a caspase-based death program has been established. ..
- Zecca M, Struhl G. Control of growth and patterning of the Drosophila wing imaginal disc by EGFR-mediated signaling. Development. 2002;129:1369-76 pubmed
- Gómez A, López Varea A, Molnar C, de la Calle Mustienes E, Ruiz Gomez M, Gomez Skarmeta J, et al. Conserved cross-interactions in Drosophila and Xenopus between Ras/MAPK signaling and the dual-specificity phosphatase MKP3. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:695-708 pubmed..Furthermore, this restricted expression depends on ERK function both in Drosophila and Xenopus, suggesting that MKP3 constitutes a conserved negative feedback loop on the activity of the Ras/ERK signaling pathway. ..
- Schupbach T, Roth S. Dorsoventral patterning in Drosophila oogenesis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1994;4:502-7 pubmed..This localized signal from the oocyte to the follicle cells appears to initiate a cascade of events leading to dorsal follicle cell differentiation, and delimiting and orienting the future dorsoventral axis of the embryo. ..
- de Celis J. Expression and function of decapentaplegic and thick veins during the differentiation of the veins in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1997;124:1007-18 pubmed..acting through its receptor Thick veins, activates vein differentiation and restricts expression of both veinlet and the Notch-ligand Delta to the developing veins...
- Biehs B, Sturtevant M, Bier E. Boundaries in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc organize vein-specific genetic programs. Development. 1998;125:4245-57 pubmed..We present a model in which different A/P boundaries organize vein-specific genetic programs to govern the development of individual veins. ..
- Zeitlinger J, Stark A, Kellis M, Hong J, Nechaev S, Adelman K, et al. RNA polymerase stalling at developmental control genes in the Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Nat Genet. 2007;39:1512-6 pubmed..We propose that Pol II stalling facilitates rapid temporal and spatial changes in gene activity during development. ..
- Urban S, Freeman M. Substrate specificity of rhomboid intramembrane proteases is governed by helix-breaking residues in the substrate transmembrane domain. Mol Cell. 2003;11:1425-34 pubmedb>Rhomboid intramembrane proteases initiate cell signaling during Drosophila development and Providencia bacterial growth by cleaving transmembrane ligand precursors...
- Foltenyi K, Greenspan R, NEWPORT J. Activation of EGFR and ERK by rhomboid signaling regulates the consolidation and maintenance of sleep in Drosophila. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:1160-7 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that rhomboid (Rho)- and Star-mediated activation of EGFR and ERK signaling increases sleep in a dose-dependent manner, and ..
- Baker D, Mille Baker B, Wainwright S, Ish Horowicz D, Dibb N. Mae mediates MAP kinase phosphorylation of Ets transcription factors in Drosophila. Nature. 2001;411:330-4 pubmed..Our study indicates that MAPK signalling specificity may depend on proteins that couple specific substrates to the kinase. ..
- Halfon M, Carmena A, Gisselbrecht S, Sackerson C, Jimenez F, Baylies M, et al. Ras pathway specificity is determined by the integration of multiple signal-activated and tissue-restricted transcription factors. Cell. 2000;103:63-74 pubmed..The integration of Pointed with the combinatorial effects of dTCF, Mad, Twist, and Tinman determines inductive Ras signaling specificity in muscle and heart development. ..
- de Celis J, Bray S, Garcia Bellido A. Notch signalling regulates veinlet expression and establishes boundaries between veins and interveins in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1997;124:1919-28 pubmed..the expression of the Enhancer of split gene m beta is activated and the transcription of the vein-promoting gene veinlet is repressed, thus restricting vein differentiation...
- O Keefe D, Prober D, Moyle P, Rickoll W, Edgar B. Egfr/Ras signaling regulates DE-cadherin/Shotgun localization to control vein morphogenesis in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2007;311:25-39 pubmed..Ras, therefore, regulates both the transcriptional responses necessary for vein cell identity, and the cell adhesive changes that determine vein and intervein cell morphology. ..
- Crozatier M, Glise B, Khemici V, Vincent A. Vein-positioning in the Drosophila wing in response to Hh; new roles of Notch signaling. Mech Dev. 2003;120:529-35 pubmed..Observation that the vein marker rhomboid (rho) is expressed at the centre of wider vein-competent domains led to propose that narrow vein primordia form ..
- Cowden J, Levine M. Ventral dominance governs sequential patterns of gene expression across the dorsal-ventral axis of the neuroectoderm in the Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 2003;262:335-49 pubmed
- Sturtevant M, Roark M, Bier E. The Drosophila rhomboid gene mediates the localized formation of wing veins and interacts genetically with components of the EGF-R signaling pathway. Genes Dev. 1993;7:961-73 pubmedThe rhomboid (rho) gene, which encodes a transmembrane protein, is a member of a small group of genes (ventrolateral genes) required for the differentiation of ventral epidermis in the Drosophila embryo...
- Gallio M, Englund C, Kylsten P, Samakovlis C. Rhomboid 3 orchestrates Slit-independent repulsion of tracheal branches at the CNS midline. Development. 2004;131:3605-14 pubmed..We present evidence that Rhomboid 3/EGF signalling, which originates from the midline of the Drosophila ventral nerve cord, repels tracheal ..
- Kosman D, Mizutani C, Lemons D, Cox W, McGinnis W, Bier E. Multiplex detection of RNA expression in Drosophila embryos. Science. 2004;305:846 pubmed
- Sotillos S, de Celis J. Interactions between the Notch, EGFR, and decapentaplegic signaling pathways regulate vein differentiation during Drosophila pupal wing development. Dev Dyn. 2005;232:738-52 pubmed..Once dpp expression is initiated, Dpp and EGFR activities in the provein maintain each other and, in cooperation, determine vein cell differentiation. ..
- Zecca M, Struhl G. Subdivision of the Drosophila wing imaginal disc by EGFR-mediated signaling. Development. 2002;129:1357-68 pubmed..Hence, as the disc grows, the DV compartment boundary can shift ventrally, beyond the range of the instructive EGFR signal(s), in contrast to the notum-wing boundary, which continues to be defined by EGFR input. ..
- Gallio M, Sturgill G, Rather P, Kylsten P. A conserved mechanism for extracellular signaling in eukaryotes and prokaryotes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:12208-13 pubmed..In Drosophila, the signaling event is commonly regulated by the polytopic membrane protein Rhomboid (RHO), which mediates the proteolytic activation of EGFr ligands, allowing the secretion of the active signal...
- Buff E, Carmena A, Gisselbrecht S, Jimenez F, Michelson A. Signalling by the Drosophila epidermal growth factor receptor is required for the specification and diversification of embryonic muscle progenitors. Development. 1998;125:2075-86 pubmed..Such graded myogenic effects can be influenced by alterations in the functions of Star and rhomboid. In addition, muscle patterning is dependent on the generation of a spatially restricted, activating SPITZ signal,..
- Yasugi T, Sugie A, Umetsu D, Tabata T. Coordinated sequential action of EGFR and Notch signaling pathways regulates proneural wave progression in the Drosophila optic lobe. Development. 2010;137:3193-203 pubmed publisher..EGFR activation is regulated by transient expression of Rhomboid (Rho), which is required for the maturation of the EGF ligand Spitz...