Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: rhea
Alias: CG6831, CT21159, Dmel\CG6831, Rhea, Talin, Tln, talin, tendrils, rhea, CG6831-PB, CG6831-PC, CG6831-PD, CG6831-PE, CG6831-PF, CG6831-PG, CG6831-PH, CG6831-PI, rhea-PB, rhea-PC, rhea-PD, rhea-PE, rhea-PF, rhea-PG, rhea-PH, rhea-PI, talin, tendrils
Species: fruit fly
- Issigonis M, Tulina N, de Cuevas M, Brawley C, Sandler L, Matunis E. JAK-STAT signal inhibition regulates competition in the Drosophila testis stem cell niche. Science. 2009;326:153-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, in niches housing multiple stem cell types, negative feedback loops can modulate signaling, preventing one stem cell population from outcompeting the other. ..
- Tanentzapf G, Devenport D, Godt D, Brown N. Integrin-dependent anchoring of a stem-cell niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1413-8 pubmed..On the basis of our data, we propose that integrins are required for the attachment of the hub cells to the ECM, which is essential for maintaining the stem-cell niche. ..
- Bécam I, Tanentzapf G, Lepesant J, Brown N, Huynh J. Integrin-independent repression of cadherin transcription by talin during axis formation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:510-6 pubmed..However, it has remained unclear how DE-cadherin levels are regulated. Here, we show that talin, known for its role in linking integrins to the actin cytoskeleton, has the unexpected function of specifically ..
- Perkins A, Ellis S, Asghari P, Shamsian A, Moore E, Tanentzapf G. Integrin-mediated adhesion maintains sarcomeric integrity. Dev Biol. 2010;338:15-27 pubmed publisher..Our results show that integrin-mediated adhesion is essential for maintaining sarcomeric integrity and illustrate that the seemingly stable adhesive contacts underlying sarcomeric architecture are inherently dynamic...
- Tanentzapf G, Brown N. An interaction between integrin and the talin FERM domain mediates integrin activation but not linkage to the cytoskeleton. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:601-6 pubmed..b>Talin, one such linker protein, is thought to have two roles: mediating inside-out activation of integrins, and ..
- Zervas C, Psarra E, Williams V, Solomon E, Vakaloglou K, Brown N. A central multifunctional role of integrin-linked kinase at muscle attachment sites. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1316-27 pubmed publisher..We show that, downstream of integrins, talin plays a decisive role in the recruitment of three proteins: ILK, PINCH and paxillin...
- Ellis S, Pines M, Fairchild M, Tanentzapf G. In vivo functional analysis reveals specific roles for the integrin-binding sites of talin. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1844-56 pubmed publisher..the extracellular matrix (ECM), connect to the intracellular environment through the cytoplasmic adapter protein talin. Talin has two essential functions: orchestrating the assembly of the intracellular adhesion complex (IAC), which ..
- Knox J, Moyer K, Yacoub N, Soldaat C, Komosa M, Vassilieva K, et al. Syndecan contributes to heart cell specification and lumen formation during Drosophila cardiogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:279-90 pubmed publisher..Phenotypic interactions of syndecan with slit and Integrin mutants suggest intersecting function, consistent with Syndecan acting as a co-receptor for Slit in the Drosophila heart. ..
- Prout M, Damania Z, Soong J, Fristrom D, Fristrom J. Autosomal mutations affecting adhesion between wing surfaces in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;146:275-85 pubmed..Mutations were isolated in three new genes (piopio, rhea and steamer duck) that affect myo-epidermal junctions or muscle function in embryos...
- He L, Wang X, Tang H, Montell D. Tissue elongation requires oscillating contractions of a basal actomyosin network. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:1133-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a mechanism controlling organ shape and an experimental model for the study of the effects of oscillatory actomyosin activity within a coherent cell sheet. ..
- Subramanian A, Wayburn B, Bunch T, Volk T. Thrombospondin-mediated adhesion is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1269-78 pubmed..b>Talin accumulation at the cytoplasmic faces of the muscles and tendons is greatly reduced, implicating Tsp as a ..
- Grabbe C, Zervas C, Hunter T, Brown N, Palmer R. Focal adhesion kinase is not required for integrin function or viability in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:5795-805 pubmed..Despite this, overexpressed Fak56 is a potent inhibitor of integrins binding to the extracellular matrix, suggesting that Fak56 may play a subtle role in the negative regulation of integrin adhesion. ..
- Bökel C, Brown N. Integrins in development: moving on, responding to, and sticking to the extracellular matrix. Dev Cell. 2002;3:311-21 pubmed..Integrins also participate in signaling events that govern tissue differentiation and organogenesis. Finally, adhesion by integrin-mediated junctions allows tissues to withstand mechanical load and is essential for tissue integrity. ..
- Helsten T, Bunch T, Kato H, Yamanouchi J, Choi S, Jannuzi A, et al. Differences in regulation of Drosophila and vertebrate integrin affinity by talin. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3589-98 pubmed publisher..In worms, flies, and vertebrates, talin forms a physical link between integrin cytoplasmic domains and the actin cytoskeleton...
- Brown N. Cell-cell adhesion via the ECM: integrin genetics in fly and worm. Matrix Biol. 2000;19:191-201 pubmed
- Devenport D, Brown N. Morphogenesis in the absence of integrins: mutation of both Drosophila beta subunits prevents midgut migration. Development. 2004;131:5405-15 pubmed..The two beta subunits mediate midgut migration by distinct mechanisms: one that requires talin and one that does not...
- Tanentzapf G, Martin Bermudo M, Hicks M, Brown N. Multiple factors contribute to integrin-talin interactions in vivo. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:1632-44 pubmedThe cytoplasmic protein talin is an essential part of the integrin-cytoskeleton link...
- Comber K, Huelsmann S, Evans I, SÃ¡nchez SÃ¡nchez B, Chalmers A, Reuter R, et al. A dual role for the Î²PS integrin myospheroid in mediating Drosophila embryonic macrophage migration. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:3475-84 pubmed publisher..Live imaging revealed a requirement for myospheroid within haemocytes to coordinate the microtubule and actin dynamics, and to enable haemocyte developmental dispersal, contact repulsion and inflammatory migration towards wounds. ..
- Pines M, Das R, Ellis S, Morin A, Czerniecki S, Yuan L, et al. Mechanical force regulates integrin turnover in Drosophila in vivo. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:935-43 pubmed publisher..We propose that integrin-ECM adhesive stability is continuously controlled by force in vivo through integrin-dependent auto-regulatory feedback mechanisms so that tissues can quickly adapt to and withstand mechanical stresses. ..
- Devenport D, Bunch T, Bloor J, Brower D, Brown N. Mutations in the Drosophila alphaPS2 integrin subunit uncover new features of adhesion site assembly. Dev Biol. 2007;308:294-308 pubmed..of the integrin to recruit laminin to muscle attachment sites in the embryo and caused detachment of integrins and talin from the ECM...
- Venken K, Schulze K, Haelterman N, Pan H, He Y, Evans Holm M, et al. MiMIC: a highly versatile transposon insertion resource for engineering Drosophila melanogaster genes. Nat Methods. 2011;8:737-43 pubmed..Insertions in coding introns can be exchanged with protein-tag cassettes to create fusion proteins to follow protein expression and perform biochemical experiments. The applications of MiMIC vastly extend the D. melanogaster toolkit. ..
- Yuan L, Fairchild M, Perkins A, Tanentzapf G. Analysis of integrin turnover in fly myotendinous junctions. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:939-46 pubmed publisher..We propose that IAC turnover is tightly regulated in long-term cell-ECM adhesions to allow normal tissue growth and maintenance. ..
- Levi B, Ghabrial A, Krasnow M. Drosophila talin and integrin genes are required for maintenance of tracheal terminal branches and luminal organization. Development. 2006;133:2383-93 pubmed..Here, we describe Drosophila tendrils mutations that compromise maintenance of tracheal terminal branches, fine gauge tubes formed by tracheal terminal ..
- Kókai E, Páldy F, Somogyi K, Chougule A, Pal M, Kerekes E, et al. CalpB modulates border cell migration in Drosophila egg chambers. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:20 pubmed publisher..enhanced when the focal adhesion complex genes encoding for ?-PS2 integrin ( if), ?-PS integrin (mys) and talin (rhea) are silenced...
- Maartens A, Wellmann J, Wictome E, Klapholz B, Green H, Brown N. Drosophila vinculin is more harmful when hyperactive than absent, and can circumvent integrin to form adhesion complexes. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:4354-4365 pubmed..The minimal domain capable of inducing lethality is the talin-binding D1 domain, and this appears to require talin-binding activity, as lethality was suppressed by competition ..
- Dibya D, Sander S, Smith E. Identifying cytoplasmic proteins that affect receptor clustering using fluorescence resonance energy transfer and RNA interference. Anal Bioanal Chem. 2009;395:2303-11 pubmed publisher..proteins targeted in this study include: dreadlock, integrin-linked kinase, paxillin, steamer duck, vinculin, rhea, focal adhesion kinase, and actin 42A...
- Gohl C, Banovic D, Grevelhörster A, Bogdan S. WAVE forms hetero- and homo-oligomeric complexes at integrin junctions in Drosophila visualized by bimolecular fluorescence complementation. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:40171-9 pubmed publisher..In the wing epithelium, hetero- and homooligomeric WAVE complexes co-localize with Integrin and Talin suggesting a role in integrin-mediated cell adhesion...
- MacMullin A, Jacobs J. Slit coordinates cardiac morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;293:154-64 pubmed..interaction with Integrin genes and their ligands, including Laminin and Collagen, and intracellular messengers, including Talin and ILK. This indicates that Slit participates in adhesion or adhesion signaling during heart development.
- Bogatan S, Cevik D, Demidov V, Vanderploeg J, Panchbhaya A, Vitkin A, et al. Talin Is Required Continuously for Cardiomyocyte Remodeling during Heart Growth in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0131238 pubmed publisher..Employing the Drosophila cardiomyocyte as a genetically amenable model, we depleted the levels of Talin, a central component of the integrin adhesion complex, at different stages of heart growth and remodeling...
- Wu Y, Rasmussen M, Kellis M. Evolution at the subgene level: domain rearrangements in the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2012;29:689-705 pubmed publisher..These results dramatically expand on evolution at the subgene level and offer several insights into how new genes and functions arise between species. ..
- Stark A, Kheradpour P, Parts L, Brennecke J, Hodges E, Hannon G, et al. Systematic discovery and characterization of fly microRNAs using 12 Drosophila genomes. Genome Res. 2007;17:1865-79 pubmed..For mir-10 in particular, both arms show abundant processing, and both show highly conserved target sites in Hox genes, suggesting a possible cooperation of the two arms, and their role as a master Hox regulator. ..
- Domínguez Giménez P, Brown N, Martin Bermudo M. Integrin-ECM interactions regulate the changes in cell shape driving the morphogenesis of the Drosophila wing epithelium. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1061-71 pubmed..Finally, we show that the ECM has an instructive rather than a structural role, because inhibition of Raf reverses the cell shape changes caused by perturbing integrins. ..
- Tiwari P, Kumar A, Das R, Malhotra V, Vijayraghavan K. A Tendon Cell Specific RNAi Screen Reveals Novel Candidates Essential for Muscle Tendon Interaction. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0140976 pubmed publisher..Of these, 19 were novel molecules in context of myotendinous system. Integrin-Î²PS and Talin, picked as candidates in this screen, are known to play important role in the cell-cell interaction and ..
- SigurbjÃ¶rnsdÃ³ttir S, Mathew R, Leptin M. Molecular mechanisms of de novo lumen formation. Nat Rev Mol Cell Biol. 2014;15:665-76 pubmed publisher..In all systems, lumen formation involves the structured expansion of the apical plasma membrane through general mechanisms of vesicle transport and of microtubule and actin cytoskeleton regulation. ..
- Pronovost S, Beckerle M, Kadrmas J. Elevated expression of the integrin-associated protein PINCH suppresses the defects of Drosophila melanogaster muscle hypercontraction mutants. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003406 pubmed publisher..Moreover, in myopathies that exhibit hypercontraction, strategic PINCH expression may have therapeutic potential in preserving muscle structure and function. ..
- Vanderploeg J, Jacobs J. Talin is required to position and expand the luminal domain of the Drosophila heart tube. Dev Biol. 2015;405:189-201 pubmed publisher..We explore a requirement for Talin, a cytoplasmic integrin adapter, during Drosophila melanogaster embryonic heart tube development...
- Gilsohn E, Volk T. Slowdown promotes muscle integrity by modulating integrin-mediated adhesion at the myotendinous junction. Development. 2010;137:785-94 pubmed publisher..Our analysis implicates Slow as an essential component of the MTJ, crucial for ensuring muscle and tendon integrity during larval locomotion. ..
- Amoyel M, Simons B, Bach E. Neutral competition of stem cells is skewed by proliferative changes downstream of Hh and Hpo. EMBO J. 2014;33:2295-313 pubmed publisher..We find that the driving force behind such behavior is accelerated proliferation. Our results demonstrate that a single stem cell colonizes its niche through oncogenic mutation by co-opting an underlying homeostatic process. ..
- GÃ³mez Lamarca M, Cobreros Reguera L, IbÃ¡Ã±ez JimÃ©nez B, Palacios I, MartÃn Bermudo M. Integrins regulate epithelial cell differentiation by modulating Notch activity. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4667-78 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our findings reveal a direct involvement of integrin signaling on the spatial and temporal regulation of epithelial cell differentiation during development. ..
- Klapholz B, Herbert S, Wellmann J, Johnson R, Parsons M, Brown N. Alternative mechanisms for talin to mediate integrin function. Curr Biol. 2015;25:847-57 pubmed publisher..b>Talin is an intracellular protein that is critical for linking integrin extracellular-matrix receptors to the actin ..
- Meehan T, Kleinsorge S, Timmons A, Taylor J, McCall K. Polarization of the epithelial layer and apical localization of integrins are required for engulfment of apoptotic cells in the Drosophila ovary. Dis Model Mech. 2015;8:1603-14 pubmed publisher..This study also establishes the epithelial follicle cells of the Drosophila ovary as a powerful model for understanding the molecular changes required for engulfment by a polarized epithelium. ..
- Lo S. Focal adhesions: what's new inside. Dev Biol. 2006;294:280-91 pubmed..Recent studies using genetic approaches in invertebrate and vertebrate systems have begun to reveal the structure and function of these complexes in vivo. ..
- Ribeiro S, D Ambrosio M, Vale R. Induction of focal adhesions and motility in Drosophila S2 cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3861-9 pubmed publisher..These focal adhesions contain the expected molecular markers such as talin, vinculin, and p130Cas, and they require talin for their formation...
- Löer B, Bauer R, Bornheim R, Grell J, Kremmer E, Kolanus W, et al. The NHL-domain protein Wech is crucial for the integrin-cytoskeleton link. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:422-8 pubmed publisher..Of the numerous linker proteins identified, only a few, including Talin and Integrin-linked-kinase (ILK), are essential and evolutionarily conserved...
- Weitkunat M, Kaya Copur A, Grill S, Schnorrer F. Tension and force-resistant attachment are essential for myofibrillogenesis in Drosophila flight muscle. Curr Biol. 2014;24:705-16 pubmed publisher..As myofibril and sarcomeric architecture as well as their molecular components are evolutionarily conserved, we propose a similar tension-based mechanism to regulate myofibrillogenesis in vertebrates. ..
- Wheeler G, Hynes R. The cloning, genomic organization and expression of the focal contact protein paxillin in Drosophila. Gene. 2001;262:291-9 pubmed..The data support a role for paxillin as an adapter and/or signaling protein during developmental processes involving integrin-mediated adhesion. ..
- Liu Z, Geisbrecht E. Moleskin is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2011;359:176-89 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings provide strong evidence that Msk signals non-autonomously through the Vein-Egfr signaling pathway for late tendon cell late differentiation and/or maintenance. ..
- Patel U, Myat M. Receptor guanylyl cyclase Gyc76C is required for invagination, collective migration and lumen shape in the Drosophila embryonic salivary gland. Biol Open. 2013;2:711-7 pubmed publisher..salivary glands of gyc76C mutant embryos, integrin subunits localized normally to gland-mesoderm contact sites but talin localization in the surrounding circular visceral mesoderm and fat body was altered...
- PÃ©rez Moreno J, Bischoff M, MartÃn Bermudo M, Estrada B. The conserved transmembrane proteoglycan Perdido/Kon-tiki is essential for myofibrillogenesis and sarcomeric structure in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:3162-73 pubmed publisher..Our work identifies the Drosophila adult abdominal muscles as a model to investigate in vivo the mechanisms behind myofibrillogenesis. ..
- López Ceballos P, Herrera Reyes A, Coombs D, Tanentzapf G. In vivo regulation of integrin turnover by outside-in activation. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:2912-24 pubmed publisher..This data identifies a new in vivo role for outside-in activation and sheds light on the key transition between tissue morphogenesis and maintenance. ..
- Fernández Miñán A, Cobreros L, González Reyes A, Martin Bermudo M. Integrins contribute to the establishment and maintenance of cell polarity in the follicular epithelium of the Drosophila ovary. Int J Dev Biol. 2008;52:925-32 pubmed publisher..Finally, we provide evidence to suggest that integrins are required to orientate epithelial polarity in vivo. ..
- Deng H, Bell J, Simmonds A. Vestigial is required during late-stage muscle differentiation in Drosophila melanogaster embryos. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:3304-16 pubmed publisher..Thus, Vg is a key factor to induce specific changes in ventral longitudinal muscles 1-4 identity and is required for these cells to be competent to form stable intermuscular attachments with each other. ..
- Fernández Miñán A, Martin Bermudo M, González Reyes A. Integrin signaling regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila to preserve the follicular-epithelium monolayer. Curr Biol. 2007;17:683-8 pubmed..The above data show that integrins are necessary for preserving the simple organization of a specialized epithelium and link integrin-mediated signaling to the correct orientation of the mitotic spindle in this epithelial cell type. ..
- Xie X, Auld V. Integrins are necessary for the development and maintenance of the glial layers in the Drosophila peripheral nerve. Development. 2011;138:3813-22 pubmed publisher..PS3?PS) are expressed in the different glial layers and form adhesion complexes with integrin-linked kinase and Talin. Knockdown of the common beta subunit (?PS) using inducible RNAi in all glial cells results in lethality and glial ..
- Nguyen H, Voza F, Ezzeddine N, Frasch M. Drosophila mind bomb2 is required for maintaining muscle integrity and survival. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:219-27 pubmed..Our data suggest strongly that mib2 is involved in a novel Notch- and integrin-independent pathway that maintains the integrity of fully differentiated muscles and prevents their apoptotic degeneration. ..
- Vakaloglou K, Chrysanthis G, Rapsomaniki M, Lygerou Z, Zervas C. IPP Complex Reinforces Adhesion by Relaying Tension-Dependent Signals to Inhibit Integrin Turnover. Cell Rep. 2016;14:2668-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a role for the IPP complex as an essential mechanosensitive regulatory switch of integrin turnover in vivo. ..
- PÃ©zeron G, Millen K, Boukhatmi H, Bray S. Notch directly regulates the cell morphogenesis genes Reck, talin and trio in adult muscle progenitors. J Cell Sci. 2014;127:4634-44 pubmed publisher..Focusing on three, Reck, rhea/talin and trio, we verify their expression in adult muscle progenitors and identify Notch-regulated enhancers in each...
- Hofmeyer K, Maurel Zaffran C, Sink H, Treisman J. Liprin-alpha has LAR-independent functions in R7 photoreceptor axon targeting. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:11595-600 pubmed..We conclude that Liprin-alpha does not simply act by regulating LAR localization but also has LAR-independent functions. ..
- Ellis S, Lostchuck E, Goult B, Bouaouina M, Fairchild M, LÃ³pez Ceballos P, et al. The talin head domain reinforces integrin-mediated adhesion by promoting adhesion complex stability and clustering. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004756 pubmed publisherb>Talin serves an essential function during integrin-mediated adhesion in linking integrins to actin via the intracellular adhesion complex...
- LaBeau DiMenna E, Clark K, Bauman K, Parker D, Cripps R, Geisbrecht E. Thin, a Trim32 ortholog, is essential for myofibril stability and is required for the integrity of the costamere in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:17983-8 pubmed publisher..In contrast, tn mutants had significant disorganization of the costameric orthologs ?-integrin, Spectrin, Talin, and Vinculin, and we present the initial description for the costamere, a key muscle stability complex, in ..
- Lin G, Zhang X, Ren J, Pang Z, Wang C, Xu N, et al. Integrin signaling is required for maintenance and proliferation of intestinal stem cells in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;377:177-87 pubmed publisher..ISC maintenance also requires the intercellular and intracellular integrin signaling components including Talin, Integrin-linked kinase (Ilk), and the ligand, Laminin A...
- Koride S, He L, Xiong L, Lan G, Montell D, Sun S. Mechanochemical regulation of oscillatory follicle cell dynamics in the developing Drosophila egg chamber. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:3709-16 pubmed publisher..The model demonstrates that in principle, mechanochemical interactions are sufficient to drive patterning and morphogenesis, independent of patterned gene expression. ..
- Moreira C, Jacinto A, Prag S. Drosophila integrin adhesion complexes are essential for hemocyte migration in vivo. Biol Open. 2013;2:795-801 pubmed publisher..We show that integrins, and other known nascent adhesion-related proteins such as Rhea and Fermitin 1, are crucial for this process and that their depletion does not affect polarization in response to ..
- Lewellyn L, Cetera M, Horne Badovinac S. Misshapen decreases integrin levels to promote epithelial motility and planar polarity in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:721-9 pubmed publisher..These data provide mechanistic insight into Misshapen's conserved role in cell migration and suggest that follicle cell planar polarity may be an emergent property of individual cell migratory behaviors within the epithelium. ..