Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rab7
Alias: AAF56218, CG5915, DRAB7, DRab7, Dm Rab7, DmRab7, Dmel\CG5915, Drab7, O76742, RAB7, Rab-7, Rab-r7, Rab7A, dRab7, drab7, rab7, Rab7, CG5915-PA, CG5915-PB, CG5915-PC, Rab-protein 7, Rab7-PA, Rab7-PB, Rab7-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Otani T, Oshima K, Onishi S, Takeda M, Shinmyozu K, Yonemura S, et al. IKK? regulates cell elongation through recycling endosome shuttling. Dev Cell. 2011;20:219-32 pubmed publisher..Our results establish an evolutionarily conserved function of IKK-related kinases in regulating recycling endosome dynamics and point to a key role of endosome dynamics in cell morphogenesis. ..
- Gallagher C, Knoblich J. The conserved c2 domain protein lethal (2) giant discs regulates protein trafficking in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2006;11:641-53 pubmed..Our experiments suggest that Lgd is a critical regulator of endocytosis that is not present in yeast and acts in the degradative pathway after Hrs. ..
- Chinchore Y, Mitra A, Dolph P. Accumulation of rhodopsin in late endosomes triggers photoreceptor cell degeneration. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000377 pubmed publisher..Together these data implicate buildup of rhodopsin in the late endosomal system as a novel trigger of death of photoreceptor neurons. ..
- Ruel L, Rodriguez R, Gallet A, Lavenant Staccini L, Therond P. Stability and association of Smoothened, Costal2 and Fused with Cubitus interruptus are regulated by Hedgehog. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:907-13 pubmed..We propose that the association of the Cos2 protein complex with Smo at the plasma membrane controls the stability of the complex and allows Ci activation, eliciting its nuclear translocation. ..
- Chan C, Scoggin S, Wang D, Cherry S, Dembo T, Greenberg B, et al. Systematic discovery of Rab GTPases with synaptic functions in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1704-15 pubmed publisher..The tools presented here allow systematic functional studies of these Rabs and provide a method that is applicable to any large gene family in Drosophila. ..
- Xia R, Jia H, Fan J, Liu Y, Jia J. USP8 promotes smoothened signaling by preventing its ubiquitination and changing its subcellular localization. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001238 pubmed publisher..Our studies identify USP8 as a positive regulator in Hh signaling by down-regulating Smo ubiquitination and thereby mediating Smo intracellular trafficking. ..
- Marois E, Mahmoud A, Eaton S. The endocytic pathway and formation of the Wingless morphogen gradient. Development. 2006;133:307-17 pubmed..Thus, subcellular localization of Wingless along the apical-basal axis of receiving cells may be instrumental in shaping the Wingless gradient. ..
- Tanaka T, Nakamura A. The endocytic pathway acts downstream of Oskar in Drosophila germ plasm assembly. Development. 2008;135:1107-17 pubmed publisher..We propose that Osk stimulates endosomal cycling, which in turn promotes F-actin reorganization to anchor the pole plasm components to the oocyte cortex. ..
- Guha A, Sriram V, Krishnan K, Mayor S. Shibire mutations reveal distinct dynamin-independent and -dependent endocytic pathways in primary cultures of Drosophila hemocytes. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:3373-86 pubmed..ALBR and fluid-phase-containing early endosomes subsequently fuse to yield a population of Rab7-positive late endosomes...
- Wong C, Li R, Montell C, Venkatachalam K. Drosophila TRPML is required for TORC1 activation. Curr Biol. 2012;22:1616-21 pubmed publisher..Our findings delineate the interrelationship between the TRPML and TORC1 pathways and raise the intriguing possibility that a high-protein diet might reduce the severity of MLIV. ..
- Burgess J, Del Bel L, Ma C, Barylko B, Polevoy G, Rollins J, et al. Type II phosphatidylinositol 4-kinase regulates trafficking of secretory granule proteins in Drosophila. Development. 2012;139:3040-50 pubmed publisher..mucin-containing glue granules failed to reach normal size, with glue protein aberrantly accumulating in enlarged Rab7-positive late endosomes...
- Wilkin M, Tongngok P, Gensch N, Clemence S, Motoki M, Yamada K, et al. Drosophila HOPS and AP-3 complex genes are required for a Deltex-regulated activation of notch in the endosomal trafficking pathway. Dev Cell. 2008;15:762-72 pubmed publisher..We discuss ways in which these endocytic pathways may modulate ligand-dependent and -independent events, as a mechanism that can potentiate Notch signaling or dampen noise in the signaling network. ..
- Emery G, Hutterer A, Berdnik D, Mayer B, Wirtz Peitz F, Gaitan M, et al. Asymmetric Rab 11 endosomes regulate delta recycling and specify cell fate in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell. 2005;122:763-73 pubmed..Our results suggest that cells can regulate signaling pathways and influence their developmental fate by inhibiting the formation of individual endocytic compartments...
- Dodson M, Zhang T, Jiang C, Chen S, Guo M. Roles of the Drosophila LRRK2 homolog in Rab7-dependent lysosomal positioning. Hum Mol Genet. 2012;21:1350-63 pubmed publisher..of late endosomes and lysosomes, physically interacts with the crucial mediator of late endosomal transport Rab7 and negatively regulates rab7-dependent perinuclear localization of lysosomes...
- Schneider M, Troost T, Grawe F, Martinez Arias A, Klein T. Activation of Notch in lgd mutant cells requires the fusion of late endosomes with the lysosome. J Cell Sci. 2013;126:645-56 pubmed publisher..In addition, electron microscopy of lgd cells revealed that they contain enlarged multi-vesicular bodies. The presented results further elucidate the mechanism of uncontrolled Notch activation upon derailed endocytosis...
- Sweeney N, Brenman J, Jan Y, Gao F. The coiled-coil protein shrub controls neuronal morphogenesis in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1006-11 pubmed..Our findings demonstrate that the novel coiled-coil protein Shrub functions in the endosomal pathway and plays an essential role in neuronal morphogenesis. ..
- Chang H, Hull M, Mellman I. The J-domain protein Rme-8 interacts with Hsc70 to control clathrin-dependent endocytosis in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:1055-64 pubmed
- Williamson W, Wang D, Haberman A, Hiesinger P. A dual function of V0-ATPase a1 provides an endolysosomal degradation mechanism in Drosophila melanogaster photoreceptors. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:885-99 pubmed publisher..We propose that V100 exerts a temporally integrated dual function that increases neuronal degradative capacity. ..
- Yan Y, Denef N, Schupbach T. The vacuolar proton pump, V-ATPase, is required for notch signaling and endosomal trafficking in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:387-402 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Rbcn-3 affects Notch signaling and trafficking through regulating V-ATPase function, which implies that the acidification of an intracellular compartment in the receiving cells is crucial for signaling. ..
- Harris K, Tepass U. Cdc42 and Par proteins stabilize dynamic adherens junctions in the Drosophila neuroectoderm through regulation of apical endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1129-43 pubmed publisher..This study reveals functional interactions between apical polarity proteins and endocytosis that are critical for stabilizing dynamic basolateral AJs. ..
- Cherry S, Jin E, Ozel M, Lu Z, Agi E, Wang D, et al. Charcot-Marie-Tooth 2B mutations in rab7 cause dosage-dependent neurodegeneration due to partial loss of function. elife. 2013;2:e01064 pubmed publisherThe small GTPase Rab7 is a key regulator of endosomal maturation in eukaryotic cells. Mutations in rab7 are thought to cause the dominant neuropathy Charcot-Marie-Tooth 2B (CMT2B) by a gain-of-function mechanism...
- Albertson R, Cao J, Hsieh T, Sullivan W. Vesicles and actin are targeted to the cleavage furrow via furrow microtubules and the central spindle. J Cell Biol. 2008;181:777-90 pubmed publisher..Transport of F-actin-associated vesicles on furrow MTs and the central spindle is thus an important mechanism by which actin and membrane are delivered to the cleavage furrow. ..
- Sriram V, Krishnan K, Mayor S. deep-orange and carnation define distinct stages in late endosomal biogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:593-607 pubmed..cells, products of eye color genes, deep-orange (dor) and carnation (car), are localized to large multivesicular Rab7-positive late endosomes containing Golgi-derived enzymes...
- Tsarouhas V, Senti K, Jayaram S, Tiklová K, Hemphälä J, Adler J, et al. Sequential pulses of apical epithelial secretion and endocytosis drive airway maturation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;13:214-25 pubmed..The coordination of luminal matrix secretion and endocytosis may be a general mechanism in tubular organ morphogenesis and maturation. ..
- Wilkin M, Carbery A, Fostier M, Aslam H, Mazaleyrat S, Higgs J, et al. Regulation of notch endosomal sorting and signaling by Drosophila Nedd4 family proteins. Curr Biol. 2004;14:2237-44 pubmed..Such intersections between trafficking routes may provide key points at which other signals can modulate Notch activity in both normal development and in the pathological misactivation of Notch. ..
- Mottola G, Classen A, Gonzalez Gaitan M, Eaton S, Zerial M. A novel function for the Rab5 effector Rabenosyn-5 in planar cell polarity. Development. 2010;137:2353-64 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that establishment of planar polarity requires the activity of Rbsn-5 in regulating both the endocytic trafficking of Fmi at the apical cell boundaries and hair morphology. ..
- Akbar M, Ray S, KRAMER H. The SM protein Car/Vps33A regulates SNARE-mediated trafficking to lysosomes and lysosome-related organelles. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1705-14 pubmed publisher..In eye discs, endocytosed receptors and ligands accumulate in Rab7-positive prelysosomal compartments...
- Zhu A, Zheng L, Suyama K, Scott M. Altered localization of Drosophila Smoothened protein activates Hedgehog signal transduction. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1240-52 pubmed..Conversely, trapping of activated Smo mutants in the ER prevents Hh target gene activation. Control of Smo localization appears to be a crucial step in Hh signaling in Drosophila. ..
- MacLeod D, Rhinn H, Kuwahara T, Zolin A, Di Paolo G, McCabe B, et al. RAB7L1 interacts with LRRK2 to modify intraneuronal protein sorting and Parkinson's disease risk. Neuron. 2013;77:425-39 pubmed publisher..Expression of wild-type VPS35, but not a familial PD-associated mutant form, rescued these defects. Taken together, these studies implicate retromer and lysosomal pathway alterations in PD risk. ..
- Hermle T, Guida M, Beck S, Helmstädter S, Simons M. Drosophila ATP6AP2/VhaPRR functions both as a novel planar cell polarity core protein and a regulator of endosomal trafficking. EMBO J. 2013;32:245-59 pubmed publisher..Together, our results suggest two roles for VhaPRR, one for PCP and another in endosomal trafficking. This dual function establishes VhaPRR as a key factor in epithelial morphogenesis...
- Haberman A, Akbar M, Ray S, KRAMER H. Drosophila acinus encodes a novel regulator of endocytic and autophagic trafficking. Development. 2010;137:2157-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that dacn encodes a regulator of endosomal and autophagosomal dynamics, modulating developmental signaling and the cellular response to starvation. ..
- Mukai A, Yamamoto Hino M, Awano W, Watanabe W, Komada M, Goto S. Balanced ubiquitylation and deubiquitylation of Frizzled regulate cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt. EMBO J. 2010;29:2114-25 pubmed publisher..These results unveil a novel mechanism that regulates the cellular responsiveness to Wg/Wnt by controlling the cell surface level of Frizzled. ..
- Chang W, Liou W, Pen H, Chou H, Chang Y, Li W, et al. The gradient of Gurken, a long-range morphogen, is directly regulated by Cbl-mediated endocytosis. Development. 2008;135:1923-33 pubmed publisher..The Gurken-Egfr complex trafficks through the Rab5/Rab7 associated endocytic pathway to the lysosomal degradation compartment for signaling termination...
- Velichkova M, Juan J, Kadandale P, Jean S, Ribeiro I, Raman V, et al. Drosophila Mtm and class II PI3K coregulate a PI(3)P pool with cortical and endolysosomal functions. J Cell Biol. 2010;190:407-25 pubmed publisher..The broad interactions between mtm and class II Pi3K68D suggest a novel strategy for rebalancing PI(3)P-mediated cell functions in MTM-related human disease. ..
- Lu H, Bilder D. Endocytic control of epithelial polarity and proliferation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1232-9 pubmed..Our findings reveal a critical and specific role for endocytic traffic in the control of both apico-basal polarity and cell proliferation. ..
- Williamson W, Yang T, Terman J, Hiesinger P. Guidance receptor degradation is required for neuronal connectivity in the Drosophila nervous system. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000553 pubmed publisher..Our findings indicate that a neuron-specific endolysosomal degradation mechanism is part of the cell biological machinery that regulates guidance receptor turnover and signaling. ..
- Rusten T, Rodahl L, Pattni K, Englund C, Samakovlis C, Dove S, et al. Fab1 phosphatidylinositol 3-phosphate 5-kinase controls trafficking but not silencing of endocytosed receptors. Mol Biol Cell. 2006;17:3989-4001 pubmed..This is consistent with the possibility that Fab1 functions at a late stage in endocytic receptor trafficking, at a point when signal termination has occurred. ..
- O Connor Giles K, Ho L, Ganetzky B. Nervous wreck interacts with thickveins and the endocytic machinery to attenuate retrograde BMP signaling during synaptic growth. Neuron. 2008;58:507-18 pubmed publisher..We propose that Nwk functions at the interface of endocytosis and BMP signaling to ensure proper synaptic growth by negatively regulating Tkv to set limits on this positive growth signal. ..
- Entchev E, Schwabedissen A, Gonzalez Gaitan M. Gradient formation of the TGF-beta homolog Dpp. Cell. 2000;103:981-91 pubmed
- Devergne O, Ghiglione C, Noselli S. The endocytic control of JAK/STAT signalling in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3457-64 pubmed..Selective activation of the pool of receptors marked for degradation thus provides a way to tightly control JAK/STAT activity. ..
- Seto E, Bellen H. Internalization is required for proper Wingless signaling in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:95-106 pubmed..As these data indicate that endosomal transport promotes Wg signaling, our findings suggest that the regulation of endocytosis is a novel mechanism through which Wg signaling levels are determined. ..
- Satoh A, O Tousa J, Ozaki K, Ready D. Rab11 mediates post-Golgi trafficking of rhodopsin to the photosensitive apical membrane of Drosophila photoreceptors. Development. 2005;132:1487-97 pubmed..These results establish a role for Rab11 in the post-Golgi transport of rhodopsin and of other proteins to the rhabdomeric membranes of photoreceptors, and in analogous transport processes in other cells. ..
- Burgess J, Jauregui M, Tan J, Rollins J, Lallet S, Leventis P, et al. AP-1 and clathrin are essential for secretory granule biogenesis in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2011;22:2094-105 pubmed publisher..Finally, loss of clathrin or AP-1 leads to a profound block in secretory granule formation. These findings establish a novel role for AP-1- and clathrin-dependent trafficking in the biogenesis of mucin-containing secretory granules. ..
- Lloyd T, Machamer J, O Hara K, Kim J, Collins S, Wong M, et al. The p150(Glued) CAP-Gly domain regulates initiation of retrograde transport at synaptic termini. Neuron. 2012;74:344-60 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the p150(Glued) CAP-Gly domain regulates dynein-mediated retrograde transport at synaptic termini, and this function of dynactin is disrupted by a mutation that causes motor neuron disease. ..
- Gailite I, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A. The phosphoinositide-associated protein Rush hour regulates endosomal trafficking in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2012;23:433-47 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Rush controls trafficking from early to late endosomes and from late endosomes to lysosomes by modulating the activity of Rab proteins. ..
- Deivasigamani S, Basargekar A, Shweta K, Sonavane P, Ratnaparkhi G, Ratnaparkhi A. A Presynaptic Regulatory System Acts Transsynaptically via Mon1 to Regulate Glutamate Receptor Levels in Drosophila. Genetics. 2015;201:651-64 pubmed publisher..protein involved in the conversion of Rab5 positive early endosomes to late endosomes through the recruitment of Rab7. We have identified a role for Drosophila Mon1 in regulating glutamate receptor levels at the larval neuromuscular ..
- Janssens K, Sung H, Rørth P. Direct detection of guidance receptor activity during border cell migration. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:7323-8 pubmed publisher..A general implication is that both group configuration and extrinsic cues can directly modulate guidance receptor signaling during collective cell migration. ..
- Mauvezin C, Nagy P, JuhÃ¡sz G, Neufeld T. Autophagosome-lysosome fusion is independent of V-ATPase-mediated acidification. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7007 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our results indicate that lysosomal acidification is not a prerequisite for fusion, and that BafilomycinA1 inhibits fusion independent of its effect on lysosomal pH. ..
- Parsons L, Portela M, Grzeschik N, Richardson H. Lgl regulates Notch signaling via endocytosis, independently of the apical aPKC-Par6-Baz polarity complex. Curr Biol. 2014;24:2073-2084 pubmed publisher..Rab11+), early multivesicular bodies (Hrs+), and acidified vesicles, but not late endosomal markers (Car+ and Rab7+), accumulate. Colocalization studies revealed that Lgl associates with early to late endosomes and lysosomes...
- Court H, Ahearn I, Amoyel M, Bach E, Philips M. Regulation of NOTCH signaling by RAB7 and RAB8 requires carboxyl methylation by ICMT. J Cell Biol. 2017;216:4165-4182 pubmed publisher..We identified Rab7 and Rab8 as ICMT substrates that when silenced phenocopy ste14 deficiency...
- Wang P, Pai L. D-Cbl binding to Drk leads to dose-dependent down-regulation of EGFR signaling and increases receptor-ligand endocytosis. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17097 pubmed publisher..The fusion proteins we developed may provide alternative strategies for therapy of cancers caused by hyper-activation of EGFR signaling. ..
- Wang S, Tan K, Agosto M, Xiong B, Yamamoto S, Sandoval H, et al. The retromer complex is required for rhodopsin recycling and its loss leads to photoreceptor degeneration. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001847 pubmed publisher..Finally, expressing human Vps26 suppresses PR degeneration in Vps26 mutant PRs. We propose that the retromer plays a conserved role in recycling rhodopsins to maintain PR function and integrity. ..
- Petzoldt A, Gleixner E, Fumagalli A, Vaccari T, Simons M. Elevated expression of the V-ATPase C subunit triggers JNK-dependent cell invasion and overgrowth in a Drosophila epithelium. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:689-700 pubmed publisher..In summary, our in vivo-findings demonstrate that increased levels of V-ATPase C subunit induce a Eiger/JNK-dependent cell transformation within an epithelial organ that recapitulates early carcinoma stages. ..
- Rong Y, Golic K. Dominant defects in Drosophila eye pigmentation resulting from a euchromatin-heterochromatin fusion gene. Genetics. 1998;150:1551-66 pubmed..It may promote occasional association of the pugD locus with centric heterochromatin, accompanied by inactivation of pugD, in a manner similar to the proposed mode of action for brownDominant. ..
- Rives A, Rochlin K, Wehrli M, Schwartz S, Dinardo S. Endocytic trafficking of Wingless and its receptors, Arrow and DFrizzled-2, in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2006;293:268-83 pubmed..Thus, signal modulation by endocytic routing will depend on the tissue to be patterned and the goals during that patterning event. ..
- Couturier L, Trylinski M, Mazouni K, Darnet L, Schweisguth F. A fluorescent tagging approach in Drosophila reveals late endosomal trafficking of Notch and Sanpodo. J Cell Biol. 2014;207:351-63 pubmed publisher..This dual-tagging approach should be generally applicable to study the trafficking dynamics of membrane proteins in living cells and tissues. ..
- Hennig K, Colombani J, Neufeld T. TOR coordinates bulk and targeted endocytosis in the Drosophila melanogaster fat body to regulate cell growth. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:963-74 pubmed..Our data indicate that endocytosis acts both as an effector function downstream of TOR and as a physiologically relevant regulator of TOR signaling...
- Bharadwaj R, Cunningham K, Zhang K, Lloyd T. FIG4 regulates lysosome membrane homeostasis independent of phosphatase function. Hum Mol Genet. 2016;25:681-92 pubmed publisher..Lysosomal phenotypes are suppressed by genetic inhibition of Rab7 or the HOPS complex, demonstrating that FIG4 functions after endosome-to-lysosome fusion...
- Ruan W, Srinivasan A, Lin S, Kara k, Barker P. Eiger-induced cell death relies on Rac1-dependent endocytosis. Cell Death Dis. 2016;7:e2181 pubmed publisher..prerequisite for JNK activation and for cell death and show that this entry requires the activity of Rab21 and Rab7. These findings reveal novel regulatory mechanisms that allow Rac1 to contribute to Egr-induced JNK activation and ..