Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Rab11
Alias: AAF55850, CG5771, DRAB11, DRab11, Dm Rab11, DmRab11, Dmel\CG5771, Drab11, O18335, RAB11, Rab 11, Rab-11, Rab-r11, dRab11, l(3)93Bi, l(3)j2D1, rab-11, rab11, rlr7, Rab11, CG5771-PA, CG5771-PB, Rab-protein 11, Rab11-PA, Rab11-PB, lethal(3)93Bi
Species: fruit fly
- Velichkova M, Juan J, Kadandale P, Jean S, Ribeiro I, Raman V, et al. Drosophila Mtm and class II PI3K coregulate a PI(3)P pool with cortical and endolysosomal functions. J Cell Biol. 2010;190:407-25 pubmed publisher..The broad interactions between mtm and class II Pi3K68D suggest a novel strategy for rebalancing PI(3)P-mediated cell functions in MTM-related human disease. ..
- Leibfried A, Fricke R, Morgan M, Bogdan S, Bellaiche Y. Drosophila Cip4 and WASp define a branch of the Cdc42-Par6-aPKC pathway regulating E-cadherin endocytosis. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1639-48 pubmed publisher..Altogether our results show that Cdc42 functions with Par6 and aPKC to regulate E-Cad endocytosis and define Cip4 and WASp as regulators of the early E-Cad endocytic events in epithelial tissue. ..
- Xu J, Lan L, Bogard N, Mattione C, Cohen R. Rab11 is required for epithelial cell viability, terminal differentiation, and suppression of tumor-like growth in the Drosophila egg chamber. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e20180 pubmed publisher..Here we investigate the role of the small Rab11 GTPase in follicle stem cells (FSCs) and in their differentiating daughters, which include main body epithelial ..
- Khodosh R, Augsburger A, Schwarz T, Garrity P. Bchs, a BEACH domain protein, antagonizes Rab11 in synapse morphogenesis and other developmental events. Development. 2006;133:4655-65 pubmed..Here we show that the Drosophila BEACH protein Bchs (Blue cheese) acts during development as an antagonist of Rab11, a small GTPase involved in vesicle trafficking...
- Lu H, Bilder D. Endocytic control of epithelial polarity and proliferation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1232-9 pubmed..Our findings reveal a critical and specific role for endocytic traffic in the control of both apico-basal polarity and cell proliferation. ..
- Rodal A, Motola Barnes R, Littleton J. Nervous wreck and Cdc42 cooperate to regulate endocytic actin assembly during synaptic growth. J Neurosci. 2008;28:8316-25 pubmed publisher..Cdc42 function is associated with Rab11-dependent recycling endosomes, and we show that Rab11 colocalizes with Nwk at the NMJ...
- Lighthouse D, Buszczak M, Spradling A. New components of the Drosophila fusome suggest it plays novel roles in signaling and transport. Dev Biol. 2008;317:59-71 pubmed publisher..In contrast, rab11 is required to maintain the germline stem cells, and to maintain the vesicle content of the spectrosome, ..
- Otani T, Oshima K, Onishi S, Takeda M, Shinmyozu K, Yonemura S, et al. IKK? regulates cell elongation through recycling endosome shuttling. Dev Cell. 2011;20:219-32 pubmed publisher..IKK? regulates the localization of recycling endosome regulators Rab11 and Dynein and phosphorylates their adaptor molecule, Nuclear fallout (Nuf)...
- Riggs B, Rothwell W, Mische S, Hickson G, Matheson J, Hays T, et al. Actin cytoskeleton remodeling during early Drosophila furrow formation requires recycling endosomal components Nuclear-fallout and Rab11. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:143-54 pubmed..Nuf is a homologue of arfophilin-2, an ADP ribosylation factor effector that binds Rab11 and influences recycling endosome (RE) organization...
- Tsarouhas V, Senti K, Jayaram S, Tiklová K, Hemphälä J, Adler J, et al. Sequential pulses of apical epithelial secretion and endocytosis drive airway maturation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2007;13:214-25 pubmed..The coordination of luminal matrix secretion and endocytosis may be a general mechanism in tubular organ morphogenesis and maturation. ..
- Cao J, Albertson R, Riggs B, Field C, Sullivan W. Nuf, a Rab11 effector, maintains cytokinetic furrow integrity by promoting local actin polymerization. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:301-13 pubmed publisher..In the Drosophila melanogaster early embryo, Nuf (Nuclear fallout), a Rab11 effector which is essential for RE function, is required for F-actin and membrane integrity during furrow ..
- Tiwari A, Roy J. Mutation in Rab11 results in abnormal organization of ommatidial cells and activation of JNK signaling in the Drosophila eye. Eur J Cell Biol. 2009;88:445-60 pubmed publisherb>Rab11(mo), a P insertion line of Rab11 showed degenerated ommatidia and excess cell death in larval/pupal eyes...
- Bhuin T, Roy J. Rab11 is required for cell adhesion, maintenance of cell shape and actin-cytoskeleton organization during Drosophila wing development. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:269-79 pubmed publisher..Small monomeric Rab GTPases are key players involved in intracellular membrane transport. Rab11, a subfamily of the Ypt/Rab gene family of ubiquitously expressed GTPases, is associated with recycling endosomes, ..
- Bogard N, Lan L, Xu J, Cohen R. Rab11 maintains connections between germline stem cells and niche cells in the Drosophila ovary. Development. 2007;134:3413-8 pubmed..Here we show that the Rab11 GTPase is required in the ovary to maintain GSC-cap cell junctions and to anchor the fusome to the anterior cortex ..
- Giansanti M, Belloni G, Gatti M. Rab11 is required for membrane trafficking and actomyosin ring constriction in meiotic cytokinesis of Drosophila males. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:5034-47 pubmedb>Rab11 is a small GTPase that regulates several aspects of vesicular trafficking. Here, we show that Rab11 accumulates at the cleavage furrow of Drosophila spermatocytes and that it is essential for cytokinesis...
- Tiwari A, Alone D, Roy J. Rab11 is essential for fertility in Drosophila. Cell Biol Int. 2008;32:1158-68 pubmed publisherb>Rab11, a small GTP binding protein involved in vesicular trafficking, has emerged as a key player in regulating various cellular events during Drosophila development and differentiation...
- Beronja S, Laprise P, Papoulas O, Pellikka M, Sisson J, Tepass U. Essential function of Drosophila Sec6 in apical exocytosis of epithelial photoreceptor cells. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:635-46 pubmed..Furthermore, we show that Rab11 forms a complex with Sec5 and that Sec5 interacts with Sec6 suggesting that the exocyst is a Rab11 effector that ..
- Benhra N, Lallet S, Cotton M, Le Bras S, Dussert A, Le Borgne R. AP-1 controls the trafficking of Notch and Sanpodo toward E-cadherin junctions in sensory organ precursors. Curr Biol. 2011;21:87-95 pubmed publisher..Because AP-1 does not prevent endocytosis and recycling of the Notch ligand Delta, our data indicate that the DE-cadherin junctional domain may act as a launching pad through which endocytosed Notch ligand is trafficked for signaling. ..
- Strutt H, Warrington S, Strutt D. Dynamics of core planar polarity protein turnover and stable assembly into discrete membrane subdomains. Dev Cell. 2011;20:511-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, we define the distinct roles of specific core proteins in the formation of asymmetric contacts between cells, which is a key event in the generation of coordinated cellular asymmetry. ..
- Sasaki N, Sasamura T, Ishikawa H, Kanai M, Ueda R, Saigo K, et al. Polarized exocytosis and transcytosis of Notch during its apical localization in Drosophila epithelial cells. Genes Cells. 2007;12:89-103 pubmed..N, but not Dl, formed a specific complex with DEcad in vivo. Finally, our results suggest that juxtacrine signaling in epithelia generally depends on the apicobasally polarized structure of epithelial cells. ..
- Wu S, Mehta S, Pichaud F, Bellen H, Quiocho F. Sec15 interacts with Rab11 via a novel domain and affects Rab11 localization in vivo. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2005;12:879-85 pubmed..This C-terminal domain was found to bind a subset of Rab GTPases, especially Rab11, in a GTP-dependent manner...
- Marois E, Mahmoud A, Eaton S. The endocytic pathway and formation of the Wingless morphogen gradient. Development. 2006;133:307-17 pubmed..Thus, subcellular localization of Wingless along the apical-basal axis of receiving cells may be instrumental in shaping the Wingless gradient. ..
- Lecuit T. Junctions and vesicular trafficking during Drosophila cellularization. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:3427-33 pubmed..The novel proteins Nullo and Slam, which are specifically induced during cellularization, represent developmental regulators of membrane growth during cellularization. ..
- Murthy M, Teodoro R, Miller T, Schwarz T. Sec5, a member of the exocyst complex, mediates Drosophila embryo cellularization. Development. 2010;137:2773-83 pubmed publisher..Thus, the exocyst is necessary for, and is likely to direct, the polarized addition of new membrane during this form of cytokinesis. ..
- Commisso C, Boulianne G. The NHR1 domain of Neuralized binds Delta and mediates Delta trafficking and Notch signaling. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1-13 pubmed..Altogether, our data demonstrate that NHR domains can function in facilitating protein-protein interactions and in the case of Neuralized, mediate binding to its ubiquitination target, Delta. ..
- Acharya S, Laupsien P, Wenzl C, Yan S, Großhans J. Function and dynamics of slam in furrow formation in early Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 2014;386:371-84 pubmed publisher..Following the onset of zygotic gene expression, Slam and Nullo together stabilise this mark and Slam triggers invagination of the cleavage furrow. ..
- Sasikumar S, Roy J. Developmental expression of Rab11, a small GTP-binding protein in Drosophila epithelia. Genesis. 2009;47:32-9 pubmed publisher..Here we report developmental expression of Drosophila Rab11, a small GTP-binding protein, required for both endocytic recycling and exocytosis...
- Morrison H, Dionne H, Rusten T, Brech A, Fisher W, Pfeiffer B, et al. Regulation of early endosomal entry by the Drosophila tumor suppressors Rabenosyn and Vps45. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:4167-76 pubmed publisher..This work represents the first characterization of a Rab5 effector as a tumor suppressor, and it provides in vivo evidence for a Rbsn-Vps45 complex on early endosomes that links Rab5 to the SNARE fusion machinery. ..
- Emery G, Hutterer A, Berdnik D, Mayer B, Wirtz Peitz F, Gaitan M, et al. Asymmetric Rab 11 endosomes regulate delta recycling and specify cell fate in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell. 2005;122:763-73 pubmed..In pIIb, Delta passes through the recycling endosome which is marked by Rab 11. In pIIa, however, the recycling endosome does not form because the centrosome fails to recruit Nuclear fallout, a ..
- Haberman A, Akbar M, Ray S, KRAMER H. Drosophila acinus encodes a novel regulator of endocytic and autophagic trafficking. Development. 2010;137:2157-66 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our data show that dacn encodes a regulator of endosomal and autophagosomal dynamics, modulating developmental signaling and the cellular response to starvation. ..
- Shandala T, Woodcock J, Ng Y, Biggs L, Skoulakis E, Brooks D, et al. Drosophila 14-3-3? has a crucial role in anti-microbial peptide secretion and innate immunity. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2165-74 pubmed publisher..Drosomycin appeared to be delivered towards the plasma membrane in Rab4- and Rab11-positive vesicles and smaller Rab11-positive vesicles...
- Chan C, Scoggin S, Wang D, Cherry S, Dembo T, Greenberg B, et al. Systematic discovery of Rab GTPases with synaptic functions in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1704-15 pubmed publisher..The tools presented here allow systematic functional studies of these Rabs and provide a method that is applicable to any large gene family in Drosophila. ..
- Warner S, Longmore G. Distinct functions for Rho1 in maintaining adherens junctions and apical tension in remodeling epithelia. J Cell Biol. 2009;185:1111-25 pubmed publisher..In contrast, depletion of Rho1 in single cells decreases apical tension, and Rok and myosin are necessary, while Dia function also contributes, downstream of Rho1 to sustain apical cell tension. ..
- Li B, Satoh A, Ready D. Myosin V, Rab11, and dRip11 direct apical secretion and cellular morphogenesis in developing Drosophila photoreceptors. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:659-69 pubmed..We recently showed Drosophila Rab11 is essential for rhodopsin transport in developing photoreceptors and asked here if myosin V and the Drosophila ..
- Devergne O, Ghiglione C, Noselli S. The endocytic control of JAK/STAT signalling in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3457-64 pubmed..rab5, Hrs or deep orange led to an inhibition of the JAK/STAT pathway, whereas this pathway was unchanged when rab11 was affected. This suggests that internalization and trafficking are both required for JAK/STAT activity...
- Mottola G, Classen A, Gonzalez Gaitan M, Eaton S, Zerial M. A novel function for the Rab5 effector Rabenosyn-5 in planar cell polarity. Development. 2010;137:2353-64 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that establishment of planar polarity requires the activity of Rbsn-5 in regulating both the endocytic trafficking of Fmi at the apical cell boundaries and hair morphology. ..
- Harris K, Tepass U. Cdc42 and Par proteins stabilize dynamic adherens junctions in the Drosophila neuroectoderm through regulation of apical endocytosis. J Cell Biol. 2008;183:1129-43 pubmed publisher..This study reveals functional interactions between apical polarity proteins and endocytosis that are critical for stabilizing dynamic basolateral AJs. ..
- Shaye D, Casanova J, Llimargas M. Modulation of intracellular trafficking regulates cell intercalation in the Drosophila trachea. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:964-70 pubmed publisher..the role of trafficking in tracheal intercalation and show that it requires endocytosis, whereas it is opposed by Rab11-mediated recycling in the dorsal trunk...
- Silies M, Klämbt C. APC/C(Fzr/Cdh1)-dependent regulation of cell adhesion controls glial migration in the Drosophila PNS. Nat Neurosci. 2010;13:1357-64 pubmed publisher..This represents a simple mechanism by which a subcellular gradient of adhesiveness can coordinate glial migration with axonal growth...
- Hagedorn E, Bayraktar J, Kandachar V, Bai T, Englert D, Chang H. Drosophila melanogaster auxilin regulates the internalization of Delta to control activity of the Notch signaling pathway. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:443-52 pubmed..Furthermore, the fact that auxilin is required for Notch signaling suggests that ligand endocytosis in the signal-sending cells needs to proceed past coat disassembly to activate Notch. ..
- Beckett K, Monier S, Palmer L, Alexandre C, Green H, Bonneil E, et al. Drosophila S2 cells secrete wingless on exosome-like vesicles but the wingless gradient forms independently of exosomes. Traffic. 2013;14:82-96 pubmed publisher..Using these exosome markers and a cell-based RNAi assay, we found that the small GTPase Rab11 contributes significantly to exosome production...
- Classen A, Anderson K, Marois E, Eaton S. Hexagonal packing of Drosophila wing epithelial cells by the planar cell polarity pathway. Dev Cell. 2005;9:805-17 pubmed..grow and shrink, resulting in local neighbor exchanges, and Cadherin is actively endocytosed and recycled through Rab11 endosomes. Hexagonal packing depends on the activity of the planar cell polarity proteins...
- Yan Y, Denef N, Schupbach T. The vacuolar proton pump, V-ATPase, is required for notch signaling and endosomal trafficking in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:387-402 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate that Rbcn-3 affects Notch signaling and trafficking through regulating V-ATPase function, which implies that the acidification of an intracellular compartment in the receiving cells is crucial for signaling. ..
- Banks S, Cho B, Eun S, Lee J, Windler S, Xie X, et al. The functions of auxilin and Rab11 in Drosophila suggest that the fundamental role of ligand endocytosis in notch signaling cells is not recycling. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e18259 pubmed publisher..A key piece of evidence supporting the recycling model is the requirement in signaling cells for Rab11, which encodes a GTPase critical for endosomal recycling...
- Jafar Nejad H, Andrews H, Acar M, Bayat V, Wirtz Peitz F, Mehta S, et al. Sec15, a component of the exocyst, promotes notch signaling during the asymmetric division of Drosophila sensory organ precursors. Dev Cell. 2005;9:351-63 pubmed..Based on the dynamic traffic of Sec15, its colocalization with the recycling endosomal marker Rab11, and the aberrant distribution of Rab11 in sec15 clones, we propose that a defect in Delta recycling causes cell ..
- Alone D, Tiwari A, Mandal L, Li M, Mechler B, Roy J. Rab11 is required during Drosophila eye development. Int J Dev Biol. 2005;49:873-9 pubmedIn an effort to identify the role of Rab11, a small GTP binding protein, during Drosophila differentiation, phenotypic manifestations associated with different alleles of Rab11 were studied...
- Windler S, Bilder D. Endocytic internalization routes required for delta/notch signaling. Curr Biol. 2010;20:538-43 pubmed publisher..cells can occur by clathrin-independent endocytosis, when endosomal entry is blocked, and when activity of Rab11 or its effectors is reduced, suggesting that Delta need not pass through a recognized recycling pathway to achieve ..
- Belloni G, Sechi S, Riparbelli M, Fuller M, Callaini G, Giansanti M. Mutations in Cog7 affect Golgi structure, meiotic cytokinesis and sperm development during Drosophila spermatogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5441-52 pubmed publisher..We show that the recruitment of the small GTPase Rab11 and the phosphatidylinositol transfer protein Giotto (Gio) to the cleavage site requires a functioning wild-type ..
- Purvanov V, Koval A, Katanaev V. A direct and functional interaction between Go and Rab5 during G protein-coupled receptor signaling. Sci Signal. 2010;3:ra65 pubmed publisher..Additionally, the recycling Rab GTPases Rab4 and Rab11 functioned in Fz- and G(o)-mediated signaling to favor planar cell polarity over canonical Wingless signaling...
- Zhou X, Fabian L, Bayraktar J, Ding H, Brill J, Chang H. Auxilin is required for formation of Golgi-derived clathrin-coated vesicles during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 2011;138:1111-20 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Aux participates in forming these Golgi-derived clathrin-positive vesicles and that Aux, therefore, has a role in the secretory pathway. ..
- Xiong B, Bayat V, Jaiswal M, Zhang K, Sandoval H, Charng W, et al. Crag is a GEF for Rab11 required for rhodopsin trafficking and maintenance of adult photoreceptor cells. PLoS Biol. 2012;10:e1001438 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that Crag, a DENN protein, is a guanine nucleotide exchange factor for Rab11 that is required for the homeostasis of Rh1 upon light exposure...
- Pelissier A, Chauvin J, Lecuit T. Trafficking through Rab11 endosomes is required for cellularization during Drosophila embryogenesis. Curr Biol. 2003;13:1848-57 pubmed..We provide functional evidence for the role of endocytic trafficking through Rab11 endosomes in remobilizing vesicular membrane pools to ensure lateral membrane growth...
- Dollar G, Struckhoff E, Michaud J, Cohen R. Rab11 polarization of the Drosophila oocyte: a novel link between membrane trafficking, microtubule organization, and oskar mRNA localization and translation. Development. 2002;129:517-26 pubmed..Specifically, we show that alpha-adaptin and Rab11, which function critically in the endocytic pathways of all previously examined animal cells, are localized to ..
- Riggs B, Fasulo B, Royou A, Mische S, Cao J, Hays T, et al. The concentration of Nuf, a Rab11 effector, at the microtubule-organizing center is cell cycle regulated, dynein-dependent, and coincides with furrow formation. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:3313-22 pubmed..Recycling endosome (RE)-derived vesicles are a key source of this membrane. Rab11, a small GTPase associated with the RE and involved in vesicle targeting, is required for elongation of the ..
- Akbar M, Ray S, KRAMER H. The SM protein Car/Vps33A regulates SNARE-mediated trafficking to lysosomes and lysosome-related organelles. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:1705-14 pubmed publisher..Consistent with a role in Car-mediated fusion, dSyntaxin16 is not restricted to Golgi membranes but also present on lysosomes. ..
- Roeth J, Sawyer J, Wilner D, Peifer M. Rab11 helps maintain apical crumbs and adherens junctions in the Drosophila embryonic ectoderm. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e7634 pubmed publisher..Tissue morphogenesis and organogenesis require that cells retain stable cell-cell adhesion while changing shape and moving. One mechanism to accommodate this plasticity in cell adhesion involves regulated trafficking of junctional proteins...
- Tanaka T, Nakamura A. The endocytic pathway acts downstream of Oskar in Drosophila germ plasm assembly. Development. 2008;135:1107-17 pubmed publisher..We propose that Osk stimulates endosomal cycling, which in turn promotes F-actin reorganization to anchor the pole plasm components to the oocyte cortex. ..
- Acharya J, Dasgupta U, Rawat S, Yuan C, Sanxaridis P, Yonamine I, et al. Cell-nonautonomous function of ceramidase in photoreceptor homeostasis. Neuron. 2008;57:69-79 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our results show that secreted ceramidase is internalized and localizes to endosomes. Our findings establish a role for a secreted sphingolipid enzyme in the regulation of photoreceptor structure and function. ..
- Tsruya R, Wojtalla A, Carmon S, Yogev S, Reich A, Bibi E, et al. Rhomboid cleaves Star to regulate the levels of secreted Spitz. EMBO J. 2007;26:1211-20 pubmed..Cleavage of Star restricts the amount of Spi that is trafficked, and may explain the exceptional dosage sensitivity of the Star locus in flies. ..