Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Pvf1
Description: PDGF- and VEGF-related factor 1
Alias: CG7103, DmVEGF-1, Dmel\CG7103, EP1624, PVF, PVF1, PVFs, Pvf, VEGF, VEGF2-B, Vegf17E, Vegf17e-a, Vegf17e-b, l(1)G0146, pvf1, vegf1, PDGF- and VEGF-related factor 1, CG7103-PA, CG7103-PB, CG7103-PC, PDGF (platelet-derived growth factor)- and VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor)-related factor 1, Pvf1-PA, Pvf1-PB, Pvf1-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Duchek P, Somogyi K, Jekely G, Beccari S, Rørth P. Guidance of cell migration by the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor. Cell. 2001;107:17-26 pubmed..The oocyte is the source of a ligand for PVR, PDGF/VEGF factor 1 (PVF1). Intriguingly, the guidance function of PVR is largely redundant with that of EGFR...
- Bianco A, Poukkula M, Cliffe A, Mathieu J, Luque C, Fulga T, et al. Two distinct modes of guidance signalling during collective migration of border cells. Nature. 2007;448:362-5 pubmed..PDGF- and VEGF-related receptor and epidermal growth factor receptor act in both phases, but use different effector pathways in ..
- Wood W, Faria C, Jacinto A. Distinct mechanisms regulate hemocyte chemotaxis during development and wound healing in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 2006;173:405-16 pubmed..patterns of hemocytes at the embryonic ventral midline are orchestrated by chemotactic signals from the PDGF/VEGF ligands Pvf2 and -3 and that these directed migrations occur independently of phosphoinositide 3-kinase (PI3K) ..
- Parsons B, Foley E. The Drosophila platelet-derived growth factor and vascular endothelial growth factor-receptor related (Pvr) protein ligands Pvf2 and Pvf3 control hemocyte viability and invasive migration. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:20173-83 pubmed publisherVascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) and platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF) family members are essential and evolutionary conserved determinants of blood cell development and dispersal...
- Mondal B, Mukherjee T, Mandal L, Evans C, Sinenko S, Martinez Agosto J, et al. Interaction between differentiating cell- and niche-derived signals in hematopoietic progenitor maintenance. Cell. 2011;147:1589-600 pubmed publisher..Similar homeostatic mechanisms are likely to be utilized in other systems that maintain relatively large numbers of progenitors that are not all in direct contact with the cells of the niche...
- Hill Burns E, Clark A. X-linked variation in immune response in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009;183:1477-91 pubmed publisher..Many of the associations act in a sex-specific or sexually antagonistic manner, supporting the theory that with the selective pressures facing genes on the X chromosome, sexually antagonistic variation may be more easily maintained. ..
- McDonald J, Pinheiro E, Kadlec L, Schupbach T, Montell D. Multiple EGFR ligands participate in guiding migrating border cells. Dev Biol. 2006;296:94-103 pubmed..It was previously shown that two receptor tyrosine kinases, epidermal growth factor receptor (EGFR) and PDGF- and VEGF-related receptor (PVR), together contribute to border cell migration...
- Ribeiro C, Petit V, Affolter M. Signaling systems, guided cell migration, and organogenesis: insights from genetic studies in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2003;260:1-8 pubmed
- Munier A, Doucet D, Perrodou E, Zachary D, Meister M, Hoffmann J, et al. PVF2, a PDGF/VEGF-like growth factor, induces hemocyte proliferation in Drosophila larvae. EMBO Rep. 2002;3:1195-200 pubmed..homolog of the mammalian receptor for platelet-derived growth factor (PDGF)/vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF). The Drosophila receptor controls cell proliferation in vitro...
- Bilak A, Uyetake L, Su T. Dying cells protect survivors from radiation-induced cell death in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004220 pubmed publisher..If conserved in mammals, a phenomenon in which dying cells make the rest harder to kill by IR could have implications for treatments that involve the sequential use of cytotoxic agents and radiation therapy. ..
- Gupta T, Schupbach T. Two signals are better than one: border cell migration in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2001;1:443-5 pubmed..Evidence presented shows that PDGFR signaling directs border cell migration via Rac and the Rac activator Mbc/CED-5/Dock180. ..
- Traver D, Zon L. Walking the walk: migration and other common themes in blood and vascular development. Cell. 2002;108:731-4 pubmed..Cho and coworkers provides insight into the role of vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) signaling in Drosophila hematopoiesis...
- Su T. Non-autonomous consequences of cell death and other perks of being metazoan. AIMS Genet. 2015;2:54-69 pubmed..Key insights from Drosophila will be discussed in the context of analogous processes in mammalian development and cancer biology. ..
- Kelsey E, Luo X, Brückner K, Jasper H. Schnurri regulates hemocyte function to promote tissue recovery after DNA damage. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:1393-400 pubmed publisher..This function of Shn relies on its transcriptional induction of the PDGF-related growth factor Pvf1, which signals to tissue-associated hemocytes...
- Meller N, Merlot S, Guda C. CZH proteins: a new family of Rho-GEFs. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:4937-46 pubmed..CZH proteins have been implicated in cell migration, phagocytosis of apoptotic cells, T-cell activation and neurite outgrowth, and probably arose relatively early in eukaryotic evolution. ..
- Mathieu J, Sung H, Pugieux C, Soetaert J, Rorth P. A sensitized PiggyBac-based screen for regulators of border cell migration in Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:1579-90 pubmed..We present evidence that an excess of JNK signaling is deleterious for migration in the absence of PVR activity at least in part through Fos transcriptional activity and possibly through antagonistic effects on DIAP1. ..
- Shaukat Z, Liu D, Gregory S. Sterile inflammation in Drosophila. Mediators Inflamm. 2015;2015:369286 pubmed publisher..The signalling consequences of inflammation, such as the activation of JNK, and the potential for modifying this response are also discussed. ..
- Zhang T, Branch A, Shen P. Octopamine-mediated circuit mechanism underlying controlled appetite for palatable food in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:15431-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide fresh insight for the neurobiology and evolution of appetitive motivation. ..
- Xing Y, Su T, Ruohola Baker H. Tie-mediated signal from apoptotic cells protects stem cells in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Commun. 2015;6:7058 pubmed publisher..Knockdown of the IR-induced putative Tie ligand, Pvf1, a functional homologue of human Angiopoietin, in differentiating daughter cells renders germline stem cells ..
- Tsuzuki S, Matsumoto H, Furihata S, Ryuda M, Tanaka H, Sung E, et al. Switching between humoral and cellular immune responses in Drosophila is guided by the cytokine GBP. Nat Commun. 2014;5:4628 pubmed publisher..peptides (GBP), acts through the phospholipase C (PLC)/Ca(2+) signalling cascade to mediate the secretion of Pvf, a ligand for platelet-derived growth factor- and vascular endothelial growth factor-receptor (Pvr) homologue...
- Apidianakis Y, Rahme L. Drosophila melanogaster as a model for human intestinal infection and pathology. Dis Model Mech. 2011;4:21-30 pubmed publisher..In this Perspective, we discuss recent advances in the study of Drosophila intestinal infection and pathology, and briefly review the parallels and differences between human and Drosophila intestinal regeneration and disease. ..
- Harris K, Schnittke N, Beckendorf S. Two ligands signal through the Drosophila PDGF/VEGF receptor to ensure proper salivary gland positioning. Mech Dev. 2007;124:441-8 pubmed..Although the Pvr ligands, Pvf1 and Pvf2, have distinct expression patterns in the Drosophila embryo, mutations for either one of the ligands ..
- Macias A, Romero N, Martin F, Suárez L, Rosa A, Morata G. PVF1/PVR signaling and apoptosis promotes the rotation and dorsal closure of the Drosophila male terminalia. Int J Dev Biol. 2004;48:1087-94 pubmed..We show here that the Pvf1 gene, encoding one of the three Drosophila homologues of the mammalian VEGF/PDGF growth factors, is required for both processes...
- Hoch R, Soriano P. Roles of PDGF in animal development. Development. 2003;130:4769-84 pubmed..elegans, Drosophila, Xenopus, zebrafish and mouse. Early data from these different systems suggest that some functions of PDGFs have been evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Poukkula M, Cliffe A, Changede R, Rørth P. Cell behaviors regulated by guidance cues in collective migration of border cells. J Cell Biol. 2011;192:513-24 pubmed publisher..Thus, guidance receptors steer movement of this cell group by differentially affecting multiple migration-related features. ..
- Rørth P. Initiating and guiding migration: lessons from border cells. Trends Cell Biol. 2002;12:325-31 pubmed..This article discusses the implications of these studies and compares (invasive) migration through a tissue with what is known about cells crawling on a flat substratum. ..
- Garlena R, Lennox A, Baker L, Parsons T, Weinberg S, Stronach B. The receptor tyrosine kinase Pvr promotes tissue closure by coordinating corpse removal and epidermal zippering. Development. 2015;142:3403-15 pubmed publisher..Based on these observations, we suggest that efferocytosis (corpse clearance) could contribute to proper tissue closure and thus might underlie some congenital birth defects. ..
- Lu B, Al Ramahi I, Valencia A, Wang Q, Berenshteyn F, Yang H, et al. Identification of NUB1 as a suppressor of mutant Huntington toxicity via enhanced protein clearance. Nat Neurosci. 2013;16:562-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have identified genes modifying endogenous mHTT using high-throughput screening and demonstrate NUB1 as an exemplar entry point for therapeutic intervention of Huntington's disease. ..
- Inaki M, Vishnu S, Cliffe A, Rørth P. Effective guidance of collective migration based on differences in cell states. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2012;109:2027-32 pubmed publisher..These cells normally use two receptor tyrosine kinases (RTKs), PDGF/VEGF-related receptor (PVR) and EGFR, to read guidance cues secreted by the oocyte...
- Bunt S, Hooley C, Hu N, Scahill C, Weavers H, Skaer H. Hemocyte-secreted type IV collagen enhances BMP signaling to guide renal tubule morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2010;19:296-306 pubmed publisher..b>VEGF/PDGF ligands from the tubules attract hemocytes, which secrete components of the basement membrane to ensheath them...
- McDonald J, Pinheiro E, Montell D. PVF1, a PDGF/VEGF homolog, is sufficient to guide border cells and interacts genetically with Taiman. Development. 2003;130:3469-78 pubmed..b>PVF1, a growth factor related to platelet-derived growth factor and vascular-endothelial growth factor, contributes to ..
- Sansone C, Cohen J, Yasunaga A, Xu J, Osborn G, Subramanian H, et al. Microbiota-Dependent Priming of Antiviral Intestinal Immunity in Drosophila. Cell Host Microbe. 2015;18:571-81 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that sensing of specific commensals primes inflammatory signaling required for epithelial responses that restrict enteric viral infections. ..