Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: puc
Alias: 0238/03, 1351/08, CG7850, Dmel\CG7850, JNK-DSP, PUC, PUC/MKP, Puc, hrt, l(3)84Eh, l(3)A251.1, l(3)j4E1, vco, puckered, CG7850-PA, CG7850-PB, Jun N-terminal kinase dual-specificity phosphatase, hearty, lethal (3) j4E1, puc-PA, puc-PB, velcro
Species: fruit fly
- Tateno M, Nishida Y, Adachi Yamada T. Regulation of JNK by Src during Drosophila development. Science. 2000;287:324-7 pubmed..Thus, activation of the Bsk pathway is required downstream of Src42A in epidermal closure. This work confirms mammalian studies that demonstrated a physiological link between Src and JNK. ..
- McEwen D, Peifer M. Puckered, a Drosophila MAPK phosphatase, ensures cell viability by antagonizing JNK-induced apoptosis. Development. 2005;132:3935-46 pubmed..Thus, we characterized MKP function by examining the function of Puckered (Puc), the sole Drosophila Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK)-specific MKP, during embryonic and imaginal disc ..
- Ishimaru S, Ueda R, Hinohara Y, Ohtani M, Hanafusa H. PVR plays a critical role via JNK activation in thorax closure during Drosophila metamorphosis. EMBO J. 2004;23:3984-94 pubmed..In addition, we suppose that not only Rac but also Cdc42 is activated and involved in JNK activation downstream of PVR. ..
- Igaki T, Pagliarini R, Xu T. Loss of cell polarity drives tumor growth and invasion through JNK activation in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2006;16:1139-46 pubmed..Similar oncogenic cooperation mediated through these evolutionarily conserved signaling pathways could contribute to human cancer progression. ..
- Umemori M, Takemura M, Maeda K, Ohba K, Adachi Yamada T. Drosophila T-box transcription factor Optomotor-blind prevents pathological folding and local overgrowth in wing epithelium through confining Hh signal. Dev Biol. 2007;308:68-81 pubmed..These are the mechanisms for generating secondary phenotypes when a single signaling factor Omb fails to function. ..
- Wu H, Wang M, Bohmann D. JNK protects Drosophila from oxidative stress by trancriptionally activating autophagy. Mech Dev. 2009;126:624-37 pubmed publisher..Autophagy thus emerges as a multifunctional process that organisms employ in a variety of different situations using separate regulatory mechanisms. ..
- Ryoo H, Gorenc T, Steller H. Apoptotic cells can induce compensatory cell proliferation through the JNK and the Wingless signaling pathways. Dev Cell. 2004;7:491-501 pubmed..These findings support a model where apoptotic cells activate signaling cascades for compensatory proliferation. ..
- Bosch M, Serras F, Martin Blanco E, Baguna J. JNK signaling pathway required for wound healing in regenerating Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Dev Biol. 2005;280:73-86 pubmed..Activation of the JNK pathway is involved in such process. puckered (puc) expression is induced in several rows of cells at the edge of the wound, whereas absence of JNK pathway ..
- Biteau B, Hochmuth C, Jasper H. JNK activity in somatic stem cells causes loss of tissue homeostasis in the aging Drosophila gut. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:442-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that this balance is lost in old animals, increasing the potential for neoplastic transformation. ..
- Meinander A, Runchel C, Tenev T, Chen L, Kim C, Ribeiro P, et al. Ubiquitylation of the initiator caspase DREDD is required for innate immune signalling. EMBO J. 2012;31:2770-83 pubmed publisher..The direct involvement of ubiquitylation in caspase activation represents a novel mechanism for non-apoptotic caspase-mediated signalling. ..
- Uhlirova M, Bohmann D. JNK- and Fos-regulated Mmp1 expression cooperates with Ras to induce invasive tumors in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2006;25:5294-304 pubmed
- Hipfner D, Cohen S. The Drosophila sterile-20 kinase slik controls cell proliferation and apoptosis during imaginal disc development. PLoS Biol. 2003;1:E35 pubmed..We suggest that Slik mediates growth and survival cues to promote cell proliferation and control cell survival during Drosophila development. ..
- Leulier F, Ribeiro P, Palmer E, Tenev T, Takahashi K, Robertson D, et al. Systematic in vivo RNAi analysis of putative components of the Drosophila cell death machinery. Cell Death Differ. 2006;13:1663-74 pubmed..Consistently, we show that DIAP2 binds active drICE. Since DIAP2 associates with Hid, we propose a model whereby Hid co-ordinately targets both DIAP1 and DIAP2 to unleash drICE. ..
- Llense F, Martin Blanco E. JNK signaling controls border cell cluster integrity and collective cell migration. Curr Biol. 2008;18:538-44 pubmed publisher..We anticipate a role for the JNK pathway in controlling collective cell movements in other morphogenetic and clinical models. ..
- Apidianakis Y, Pitsouli C, Perrimon N, Rahme L. Synergy between bacterial infection and genetic predisposition in intestinal dysplasia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20883-8 pubmed publisher..Assessment of progenitor cell responses to pathogenic intestinal bacteria could provide a measure of predisposition for apoptotic enterocyte-assisted intestinal dysplasias in humans. ..
- Galko M, Krasnow M. Cellular and genetic analysis of wound healing in Drosophila larvae. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E239 pubmed..Cell biological and molecular parallels to vertebrate wound healing lead us to speculate that wound healing is an ancient response that has diversified during evolution. ..
- Jemc J, Milutinovich A, Weyers J, Takeda Y, Van Doren M. raw Functions through JNK signaling and cadherin-based adhesion to regulate Drosophila gonad morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2012;367:114-25 pubmed publisher..Further, loss of raw results in mislocalization of ?-catenin away from the cell surface. Therefore, cadherin-based cell adhesion, likely at the level of ?-catenin, is a primary mechanism by which Raw regulates germline-soma interaction. ..
- Kauppila S, Maaty W, Chen P, Tomar R, Eby M, Chapo J, et al. Eiger and its receptor, Wengen, comprise a TNF-like system in Drosophila. Oncogene. 2003;22:4860-7 pubmed..or Wengen, caused apoptotic cell death which could be rescued by caspase inhibitors or the JNK phosphatase Puckered. In addition, Eiger-induced cell killing was attenuated by RNAi-mediated suppression of Wengen...
- Dobens L, Martin Blanco E, Martinez Arias A, Kafatos F, Raftery L. Drosophila puckered regulates Fos/Jun levels during follicle cell morphogenesis. Development. 2001;128:1845-56 pubmedb>puckered (puc) encodes a VH1-like phosphatase that down-regulates Jun kinase (JNK) activity during dorsal closure of the Drosophila embryo. We report a role for puc in follicle cell morphogenesis during oogenesis...
- Bidla G, Dushay M, Theopold U. Crystal cell rupture after injury in Drosophila requires the JNK pathway, small GTPases and the TNF homolog Eiger. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1209-15 pubmed..Our results provide a more comprehensive view of immune signal transduction pathways, with implications for immune reactions where cell death is used as a terminal mode of cell activation. ..
- Martin Blanco E, Gampel A, Ring J, Virdee K, Kirov N, Tolkovsky A, et al. puckered encodes a phosphatase that mediates a feedback loop regulating JNK activity during dorsal closure in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1998;12:557-70 pubmed..Here, we describe a new member of this family encoded by the puckered gene of Drosophila...
- Kleino A, Myllymäki H, Kallio J, Vanha aho L, Oksanen K, Ulvila J, et al. Pirk is a negative regulator of the Drosophila Imd pathway. J Immunol. 2008;180:5413-22 pubmed..Furthermore, pirk-overexpressing flies were more susceptible to Gram-negative bacterial infection than wild-type flies. We conclude that Pirk is a negative regulator of the Imd pathway. ..
- Vidal M, Salavaggione L, Ylagan L, Wilkins M, Watson M, Weilbaecher K, et al. A role for the epithelial microenvironment at tumor boundaries: evidence from Drosophila and human squamous cell carcinomas. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:3007-14 pubmed publisher..Further, matrix metalloproteinase-2 was up regulated within these same boundary cells. These results support the view that local cell-cell interactions within the epithelial microenvironment impact tumor invasion and progression. ..
- Martín F, Pérez Garijo A, Moreno E, Morata G. The brinker gradient controls wing growth in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:4921-30 pubmed..Brk appears to downregulate the activity of genes that control cell proliferation, such as bantam. ..
- Manjón C, Sánchez Herrero E, Suzanne M. Sharp boundaries of Dpp signalling trigger local cell death required for Drosophila leg morphogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:57-63 pubmed..Furthermore, the same process could be used either to restore a normal pattern in response to artificial disturbance or to direct a morphogenetic process. ..
- Portela M, Casas Tinto S, Rhiner C, López Gay J, Dominguez O, Soldini D, et al. Drosophila SPARC is a self-protective signal expressed by loser cells during cell competition. Dev Cell. 2010;19:562-73 pubmed publisher..Overall, we describe the unexpected existence of a physiological mechanism that counteracts cell competition during development. ..
- Lee S, Park J, Jung J, Chung J. Nef induces apoptosis by activating JNK signaling pathway and inhibits NF-kappaB-dependent immune responses in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2005;118:1851-9 pubmed
- Jiang H, Patel P, Kohlmaier A, Grenley M, McEwen D, Edgar B. Cytokine/Jak/Stat signaling mediates regeneration and homeostasis in the Drosophila midgut. Cell. 2009;137:1343-55 pubmed publisher..Hence, cytokine-mediated feedback enables stem cells to replace spent progeny as they are lost, thereby establishing gut homeostasis. ..
- Tamori Y, Bialucha C, Tian A, Kajita M, Huang Y, Norman M, et al. Involvement of Lgl and Mahjong/VprBP in cell competition. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000422 pubmed publisher..of the c-Jun N-terminal kinase (JNK) is increased in mahj(-/-) or lgl(-/-) mutant cells, and expression of Puckered (Puc), an inhibitor of the JNK pathway, suppresses apoptosis of these mutant cells surrounded by wild-type cells, ..
- Polaski S, Whitney L, Barker B, Stronach B. Genetic analysis of slipper/mixed lineage kinase reveals requirements in multiple Jun-N-terminal kinase-dependent morphogenetic events during Drosophila development. Genetics. 2006;174:719-33 pubmed..Finally, we demonstrate that SLPR overexpression can induce ectopic JNK signaling and that the SLPR protein is enriched at the epithelial cell cortex. ..
- Delaney J, Stoven S, Uvell H, Anderson K, Engstrom Y, Mlodzik M. Cooperative control of Drosophila immune responses by the JNK and NF-kappaB signaling pathways. EMBO J. 2006;25:3068-77 pubmed..Our data indicate that dTAK1 is not required for Relish activation, but instead is required in JNK signaling for antimicrobial peptide gene expression. ..
- Homsy J, Jasper H, Peralta X, Wu H, Kiehart D, Bohmann D. JNK signaling coordinates integrin and actin functions during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:427-34 pubmed..Here, we show that zipping is mediated by regulation of the integrins myospheroid and scab. Our data demonstrate that JNK signaling regulates a set of target genes that cooperate to facilitate epithelial movement and closure. ..
- Lee N, Maurange C, Ringrose L, Paro R. Suppression of Polycomb group proteins by JNK signalling induces transdetermination in Drosophila imaginal discs. Nature. 2005;438:234-7 pubmed..This regulatory interaction also occurs in mammalian cells, indicating that the role of this signalling cascade in remodelling cellular fates may be conserved. ..
- Liu J, Ghanim M, Xue L, Brown C, Iossifov I, Angeletti C, et al. Analysis of Drosophila segmentation network identifies a JNK pathway factor overexpressed in kidney cancer. Science. 2009;323:1218-22 pubmed publisher..Drosophila SPOP mediates degradation of the Jun kinase phosphatase Puckered, thereby inducing tumor necrosis factor (TNF)/Eiger-dependent apoptosis...
- McNamee L, Brodsky M. p53-independent apoptosis limits DNA damage-induced aneuploidy. Genetics. 2009;182:423-35 pubmed publisher..Mutations in grp, a cell cycle checkpoint gene, and puc, a negative regulator of the JNK pathway, sensitize p53 mutant cells to ionizing radiation (IR)-induced apoptosis...
- Zeitlinger J, Bohmann D. Thorax closure in Drosophila: involvement of Fos and the JNK pathway. Development. 1999;126:3947-56 pubmed..movement during Drosophila embryogenesis, is controlled by the Drosophila JNK pathway, D-Fos and the phosphatase Puckered (Puc)...
- Ramet M, Lanot R, Zachary D, Manfruelli P. JNK signaling pathway is required for efficient wound healing in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2002;241:145-56 pubmed..As puckered (puc) gene is a target of the JUN N-terminal kinase signaling pathway during dorsal closure, we investigated puc ..
- Buchon N, Broderick N, Chakrabarti S, Lemaitre B. Invasive and indigenous microbiota impact intestinal stem cell activity through multiple pathways in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2333-44 pubmed publisher..Altogether, these results indicate that gut homeostasis is achieved by a complex interregulation of the immune response, gut microbiota, and stem cell activity...
- Igaki T, Kanda H, Yamamoto Goto Y, Kanuka H, Kuranaga E, Aigaki T, et al. Eiger, a TNF superfamily ligand that triggers the Drosophila JNK pathway. EMBO J. 2002;21:3009-18 pubmed..We also show genetically that Eiger is a physiological ligand for the Drosophila JNK pathway. Our findings demonstrate that Eiger can initiate cell death through an IAP-sensitive cell death pathway via JNK signaling. ..
- Vidal M, Larson D, Cagan R. Csk-deficient boundary cells are eliminated from normal Drosophila epithelia by exclusion, migration, and apoptosis. Dev Cell. 2006;10:33-44 pubmed
- Macias A, Romero N, Martin F, Suárez L, Rosa A, Morata G. PVF1/PVR signaling and apoptosis promotes the rotation and dorsal closure of the Drosophila male terminalia. Int J Dev Biol. 2004;48:1087-94 pubmed..Flies hemizygous for the apoptotic genes hid, reaper and grim, or mutant for puckered which encodes a phosphatase that down-regulates the n-Jun-N terminal kinase pathway, lead to the same phenotypes ..
- Poernbacher I, Baumgartner R, Marada S, Edwards K, Stocker H. Drosophila Pez acts in Hippo signaling to restrict intestinal stem cell proliferation. Curr Biol. 2012;22:389-96 pubmed publisher..Thus, Pez displays a tissue-specific requirement and functions as a negative upstream regulator of Yki in the regulation of ISC proliferation. ..
- Srahna M, Leyssen M, Choi C, Fradkin L, Noordermeer J, Hassan B. A signaling network for patterning of neuronal connectivity in the Drosophila brain. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e348 pubmed..JNK activity is necessary and sufficient for axon extension, whereas the antagonistic Wnt and FGF signals act to balance the extension and retraction required for the generation of the precise wiring pattern. ..
- Chatterjee N, Bohmann D. A versatile ?C31 based reporter system for measuring AP-1 and Nrf2 signaling in Drosophila and in tissue culture. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e34063 pubmed publisher..To complement the transgenic reporter fly lines, tissue culture assays were developed in which the same synthetic ARE and TRE elements control the expression of firefly luciferase. ..
- Cruz C, Glavic A, Casado M, de Celis J. A gain-of-function screen identifying genes required for growth and pattern formation of the Drosophila melanogaster wing. Genetics. 2009;183:1005-26 pubmed publisher..Finally, we present a preliminary characterization of a gene identified in the screen, the function of which is required for the development of the L5 longitudinal vein. ..
- Cha G, Cho K, Lee J, Kim M, Kim E, Park J, et al. Discrete functions of TRAF1 and TRAF2 in Drosophila melanogaster mediated by c-Jun N-terminal kinase and NF-kappaB-dependent signaling pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2003;23:7982-91 pubmed..Collectively, our findings demonstrate that DTRAF1 and DTRAF2 play pivotal roles in Drosophila development and innate immunity by differentially regulating the JNK- and the NF-kappaB-dependent signaling pathway, respectively. ..
- Knust E. Drosophila morphogenesis: follow-my-leader in epithelia. Curr Biol. 1996;6:379-81 pubmed..The discovery of a second MAPK kinase in Drosophila provides new insights into mechanisms that control the coordinated movement of epithelial cells. ..
- Singh A, Shi X, Choi K. Lobe and Serrate are required for cell survival during early eye development in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4771-81 pubmed..5-fold higher frequency. This suggests that L or Ser loss-of-function triggers both caspase-dependent and -independent cell death. Our studies thus identify a mechanism responsible for cell survival in the early eye. ..
- Martin Blanco E. Regulation of cell differentiation by the Drosophila Jun kinase cascade. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:666-71 pubmed..as DJun and Anterior open and eventually controls the expression of target genes such as decapentaplegic and puckered. Important progress has been made in the study of the coordination of DJNK and Decapentaplegic signalling during ..
- Leyssen M, Ayaz D, Hébert S, Reeve S, De Strooper B, Hassan B. Amyloid precursor protein promotes post-developmental neurite arborization in the Drosophila brain. EMBO J. 2005;24:2944-55 pubmed..Finally, we also found interactions between APP and the JNK stress kinase cascade. Our findings suggest a role for APP in axonal outgrowth after traumatic brain injury. ..
- Suzanne M, Perrimon N, Noselli S. The Drosophila JNK pathway controls the morphogenesis of the egg dorsal appendages and micropyle. Dev Biol. 2001;237:282-94 pubmed..We show that hep controls the expression of puckered (puc) in the follicular epithelium in a cell-autonomous manner...
- Massaro C, Pielage J, Davis G. Molecular mechanisms that enhance synapse stability despite persistent disruption of the spectrin/ankyrin/microtubule cytoskeleton. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:101-17 pubmed publisher..This signaling system also includes delayed, negative feedback via the JNK phosphatase puckered, which inhibits JNK-Fos to allow NMJ disassembly in the presence of persistent cytoskeletal stress...
- Rodahl L, Haglund K, Sem Jacobsen C, Wendler F, Vincent J, Lindmo K, et al. Disruption of Vps4 and JNK function in Drosophila causes tumour growth. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4354 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dvps4 is a tumour suppressor in Drosophila and that JNK is central to the cell-autonomous phenotypes of ESCRT-deficient cells. ..
- Wang M, Bohmann D, Jasper H. JNK signaling confers tolerance to oxidative stress and extends lifespan in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2003;5:811-6 pubmed..Our work thus identifies the evolutionarily conserved JNK signaling pathway as a major genetic factor in the control of longevity. ..
- Martin Blanco E. Regulatory control of signal transduction during morphogenesis in Drosophila. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:363-8 pubmed..Amongst other regulatory elements, Puckered, a Drosophila MAPK phosphatase, is involved in a negative feedback loop that controls JNK signaling activity...
- Moreno E, Yan M, Basler K. Evolution of TNF signaling mechanisms: JNK-dependent apoptosis triggered by Eiger, the Drosophila homolog of the TNF superfamily. Curr Biol. 2002;12:1263-8 pubmed..A direct mode of action via the apical FADD/caspase-8 pathway may have been coopted by some TNF signaling systems only at subsequent stages of evolution. ..
- Lu Y, Settleman J. The Drosophila Pkn protein kinase is a Rho/Rac effector target required for dorsal closure during embryogenesis. Genes Dev. 1999;13:1168-80 pubmed
- Stronach B, Perrimon N. Activation of the JNK pathway during dorsal closure in Drosophila requires the mixed lineage kinase, slipper. Genes Dev. 2002;16:377-87 pubmed..Furthermore, our results show that other putative JNKKKs cannot compensate for the loss of slpr function and, thus, may regulate other JNK or MAPK-dependent processes. ..
- Riesgo Escovar J, Jenni M, Fritz A, Hafen E. The Drosophila Jun-N-terminal kinase is required for cell morphogenesis but not for DJun-dependent cell fate specification in the eye. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2759-68 pubmed..Although DJNK efficiently phosphorylates DJun in vitro, bsk function is not required for the specification of cell fate in the developing eye, a process that requires MAP kinase and DJun function. ..
- Pfleger C, Harvey K, Yan H, Hariharan I. Mutation of the gene encoding the ubiquitin activating enzyme ubal causes tissue overgrowth in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2007;1:95-105 pubmed..Our studies show that a reduction in E1 activity can promote tissue growth in a multicellular organism and raise the possibility that changes in E1 activity may occur during normal development or in cancer. ..
- Griswold A, Chang K, Runko A, Knight M, MIN K. Sir2 mediates apoptosis through JNK-dependent pathways in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:8673-8 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Sir2 normally participates in the regulation of cell survival and death in Drosophila. ..
- Balakireva M, Rosse C, Langevin J, Chien Y, Gho M, Gonzy Treboul G, et al. The Ral/exocyst effector complex counters c-Jun N-terminal kinase-dependent apoptosis in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:8953-63 pubmed..We propose that the exocyst complex is Ral executioner in the JNK pathway and that a cascade from Ral to the exocyst to HGK would be a molecular basis of Ral action on JNK. ..
- Lee N, Hong Y, Yu S, Han S, Geum D, Cho K. dXNP, a Drosophila homolog of XNP/ATRX, induces apoptosis via Jun-N-terminal kinase activation. FEBS Lett. 2007;581:2625-32 pubmed..The dXNP-induced apoptosis was strongly suppressed by DJNKK/hemipterous mutation, and dXNP increased JNK activity. Taken together, these results suggest that dXNP regulates apoptosis via JNK activation. ..
- Gettings M, Serman F, Rousset R, Bagnerini P, Almeida L, Noselli S. JNK signalling controls remodelling of the segment boundary through cell reprogramming during Drosophila morphogenesis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000390 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal plasticity of segment boundaries during late morphogenesis and a role for JNK-dependent developmental reprogramming in this process. ..
- Thevenon D, Engel E, Avet Rochex A, Gottar M, Bergeret E, Tricoire H, et al. The Drosophila ubiquitin-specific protease dUSP36/Scny targets IMD to prevent constitutive immune signaling. Cell Host Microbe. 2009;6:309-20 pubmed publisher..Our findings identify dUSP36 as a repressor whose IMD deubiquitination activity prevents nonspecific activation of innate immune signaling. ..
- Neisch A, Speck O, Stronach B, Fehon R. Rho1 regulates apoptosis via activation of the JNK signaling pathway at the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:311-23 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Rho1 functions at the cell cortex to regulate JNK activity and implicate Rho1 and Moe in epithelial cell survival. ..
- Fanto M, Weber U, Strutt D, Mlodzik M. Nuclear signaling by Rac and Rho GTPases is required in the establishment of epithelial planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2000;10:979-88 pubmed..Rac is specifically required downstream of Dsh in the Fz pathway. It functions upstream or in parallel to RhoA and both signal to the nucleus, through distinct effectors, to establish planar polarity in the Drosophila eye. ..
- Martin Blanco E, Pastor Pareja J, Garcia Bellido A. JNK and decapentaplegic signaling control adhesiveness and cytoskeleton dynamics during thorax closure in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2000;97:7888-93 pubmed..Interestingly, these effects are very similar to those observed after interfering with JNK and dpp signaling during embryonic dorsal closure. ..
- Zecchini V, Brennan K, Martinez Arias A. An activity of Notch regulates JNK signalling and affects dorsal closure in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 1999;9:460-9 pubmed..In the Drosophila embryo, this activity plays an important role in the morphogenetic movements that drive dorsal closure. ..
- Ma X, Yang L, Yang Y, Li M, Li W, Xue L. dUev1a modulates TNF-JNK mediated tumor progression and cell death in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;380:211-21 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that dUev1a encodes an essential component of the evolutionary conserved TNF-JNK signaling pathway that modulates tumor progression and cell death in metazoan. ..
- Moreno E, Basler K. dMyc transforms cells into super-competitors. Cell. 2004;117:117-29 pubmed..Hence the heritable increase in dMyc levels causes cells to behave as "super-competitors" and reveals a novel mode of clonal expansion that causes, but also relies on, the killing of surrounding cells. ..
- Luo X, Puig O, Hyun J, Bohmann D, Jasper H. Foxo and Fos regulate the decision between cell death and survival in response to UV irradiation. EMBO J. 2007;26:380-90 pubmed..These data suggest that integrating stress and survival signals through Foxo drives the decision between cell death and repair of damaged cells in vivo. ..
- Singh J, Aaronson S, Mlodzik M. Drosophila Abelson kinase mediates cell invasion and proliferation through two distinct MAPK pathways. Oncogene. 2010;29:4033-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting Src-Abl, using available dual inhibitors, could be of therapeutic importance in tumor cell metastasis. ..
- Reed B, Wilk R, Lipshitz H. Downregulation of Jun kinase signaling in the amnioserosa is essential for dorsal closure of the Drosophila embryo. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1098-108 pubmed..The HINDSIGHT (HNT) Zn-finger protein and the PUCKERED (PUC) JNK phosphatase are essential for downregulation of the JNK cascade in the amnioserosa...
- del Alamo Rodríguez D, Terriente Felix J, Diaz Benjumea F. The role of the T-box gene optomotor-blind in patterning the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2004;268:481-92 pubmed..The lack of optomotor-blind produces massive cell death in its expression domain, which leads to the mis-activation of the Notch pathway and the overproliferation of lateral wing cells. ..
- Glise B, Bourbon H, Noselli S. hemipterous encodes a novel Drosophila MAP kinase kinase, required for epithelial cell sheet movement. Cell. 1995;83:451-61 pubmed..Further, hep is required for expression in the dorsal epithelium edges of another dorsal closure gene, puckered. The HEP protein is homologous to the Jun kinase kinase (JNKK) group of mitogen-activated protein kinase kinases (..
- Lamka M, Lipshitz H. Role of the amnioserosa in germ band retraction of the Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Dev Biol. 1999;214:102-12 pubmed..Rather, it is likely that the amnioserosa functions in production, activation, or presentation of a diffusible signal required for retraction. ..
- Tsuda M, Langmann C, Harden N, Aigaki T. The RING-finger scaffold protein Plenty of SH3s targets TAK1 to control immunity signalling in Drosophila. EMBO Rep. 2005;6:1082-7 pubmed..We show that POSH binds to and degrades TAK1, a crucial activator of both the JNK and the Relish signalling pathways. These results establish a novel role for POSH in the Drosophila immune system. ..