Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ptc
Alias: BcDNA:RH36596, CG2411, Conf, Dmel\CG2411, PTC, Ptc, Ptc_Dm, Ptch, com4, dPtc, l(2)k02507, pat, ptch, rubr, tuf, patched, CG2411-PA, compaction defects 4, confused, patch, ptc-PA, rubberneck, tufted
Species: fruit fly
Publications101 found, 100 shown here
- Eldar A, Rosin D, Shilo B, Barkai N. Self-enhanced ligand degradation underlies robustness of morphogen gradients. Dev Cell. 2003;5:635-46 pubmed..The two robust networks are consistent with properties of the Wg and Hh morphogens in the Drosophila wing disc and provide novel insights into their function. ..
- Christiansen A, Ding T, Fan Y, Graves H, Herz H, Lindblad J, et al. Non-cell autonomous control of apoptosis by ligand-independent Hedgehog signaling in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2013;20:302-11 pubmed publisher..Ligand-independent, deregulated Hh signaling caused by loss of negative regulators such as Patched causes excessive cell proliferation, leading to overgrowth in Drosophila and tumors in humans, including basal-..
- Chen Y, Jiang J. Decoding the phosphorylation code in Hedgehog signal transduction. Cell Res. 2013;23:186-200 pubmed publisher..Binding of Hh to Patched (Ptc), a twelve-transmembrane protein, alleviates its inhibition of Smoothened (Smo), a seven-transmembrane ..
- Thérond P, Limbourg Bouchon B, Gallet A, Dussilol F, Pietri T, van den Heuvel M, et al. Differential requirements of the fused kinase for hedgehog signalling in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1999;126:4039-51 pubmed..Hedgehog signals both to the anterior and posterior directions: anterior flanking cells express the wingless and patched Hedgehog target genes whereas posterior flanking cells express only patched...
- Zhang Y, Kalderon D. Regulation of cell proliferation and patterning in Drosophila oogenesis by Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2000;127:2165-76 pubmed..Loss of protein kinase A activity restores the proliferation of somatic cells in the absence of Hh activity and allows the formation of normally patterned ovarioles. Hence, localized Hh is not essential to direct egg chamber patterning. ..
- Vincent J, Dubois L. Morphogen transport along epithelia, an integrated trafficking problem. Dev Cell. 2002;3:615-23 pubmed..The question of how this is achieved has aroused the interest of many cell biologically minded developmental biologists. ..
- Glise B, Miller C, Crozatier M, Halbisen M, Wise S, Olson D, et al. Shifted, the Drosophila ortholog of Wnt inhibitory factor-1, controls the distribution and movement of Hedgehog. Dev Cell. 2005;8:255-66 pubmed..Our data further indicate that Shf interacts with Hh and the heparan sulfate proteoglycans. Therefore, we propose that Shf stabilizes the interaction between Hh and the proteoglycans, an unexpected role for a member of the WIF-1 family. ..
- Takeo S, Akiyama T, Firkus C, Aigaki T, Nakato H. Expression of a secreted form of Dally, a Drosophila glypican, induces overgrowth phenotype by affecting action range of Hedgehog. Dev Biol. 2005;284:204-18 pubmed..These findings support the recently proposed model that secreted glypicans have opposing and/or distinct effects on morphogen signaling from the membrane-tethered forms. ..
- Farese R, Herz J. Cholesterol metabolism and embryogenesis. Trends Genet. 1998;14:115-20 pubmed..Shared aspects of these phenotypes suggest that common mechanisms underlie impaired central nervous system development associated with cholesterol deficiency. ..
- Ohlmeyer J, Kalderon D. Hedgehog stimulates maturation of Cubitus interruptus into a labile transcriptional activator. Nature. 1998;396:749-53 pubmed
- Aza Blanc P, Kornberg T. Ci: a complex transducer of the hedgehog signal. Trends Genet. 1999;15:458-62 pubmed..Here, we highlight recent advances in the Ci story, and discuss remaining questions whose resolution promise to help explain how morphogens like Hh signal their distant targets. ..
- Vincent S, Perrimon N, Axelrod J. Hedgehog and Wingless stabilize but do not induce cell fate during Drosophila dorsal embryonic epidermal patterning. Development. 2008;135:2767-75 pubmed publisher..The combination of independent progression of cell identity and arrest of progression by signals facilitates accurate patterning of an extremely plastic developing epidermis. ..
- Marks S, Kalderon D. Regulation of mammalian Gli proteins by Costal 2 and PKA in Drosophila reveals Hedgehog pathway conservation. Development. 2011;138:2533-42 pubmed publisher..We also show that direct PKA phosphorylation regulates the activity, rather than the proteolysis of Gli in Drosophilia, and we provide evidence for an analogous action of PKA on Ci. ..
- Gross J, Chaudhary V, Bartscherer K, Boutros M. Active Wnt proteins are secreted on exosomes. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:1036-45 pubmed publisher..Our study demonstrates an evolutionarily conserved functional role of extracellular vesicular transport of Wnt proteins. ..
- Pepperl J, Reim G, Lüthi U, Kaech A, Hausmann G, Basler K. Sphingolipid depletion impairs endocytic traffic and inhibits Wingless signaling. Mech Dev. 2013;130:493-505 pubmed publisher..Our results underscore this and support the view that sphingolipid levels are crucial in orchestrating epithelial endocytic trafficking in vivo. They further demonstrate that ceramide/sphingolipid levels can affect Wnt signaling. ..
- Dai P, Akimaru H, Ishii S. A hedgehog-responsive region in the Drosophila wing disc is defined by debra-mediated ubiquitination and lysosomal degradation of Ci. Dev Cell. 2003;4:917-28 pubmed..Thus, Debra defines the border of the Hh-responsive region in the A compartment by inducing the lysosomal degradation of Ci. ..
- Mandal L, Martinez Agosto J, Evans C, Hartenstein V, Banerjee U. A Hedgehog- and Antennapedia-dependent niche maintains Drosophila haematopoietic precursors. Nature. 2007;446:320-4 pubmed..Identification of this system allows the opportunity for genetic manipulation and direct in vivo imaging of a haematopoietic niche interacting with blood precursors. ..
- Seong K, Akimaru H, Dai P, Nomura T, Okada M, Ishii S. Inhibition of the nuclear import of cubitus interruptus by roadkill in the presence of strong hedgehog signal. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e15365 pubmed publisher..Thus, two different mechanisms by which Rdx negatively regulates Ci may play an important role in the fine-tuning of Hh responses. ..
- Denef N, Neubüser D, Perez L, Cohen S. Hedgehog induces opposite changes in turnover and subcellular localization of patched and smoothened. Cell. 2000;102:521-31 pubmed..Two integral membrane proteins have been identified with distinct roles in Hedgehog signaling. Patched functions in Hedgehog binding, and Smoothened functions in transducing the signal...
- Eugster C, Panàkovà D, Mahmoud A, Eaton S. Lipoprotein-heparan sulfate interactions in the Hh pathway. Dev Cell. 2007;13:57-71 pubmed..The released form of Dally colocalizes with Patched, Hedgehog, and Lipophorin in endosomes and increases Hedgehog signaling efficiency without affecting its ..
- Zhao Y, Tong C, Jiang J. Hedgehog regulates smoothened activity by inducing a conformational switch. Nature. 2007;450:252-8 pubmed..Hence, by employing multiple Arg clusters as inhibitory elements counteracted by differential phosphorylation, SMO acts as a rheostat to translate graded HH signals into distinct responses. ..
- Ayers K, Gallet A, Staccini Lavenant L, Therond P. The long-range activity of Hedgehog is regulated in the apical extracellular space by the glypican Dally and the hydrolase Notum. Dev Cell. 2010;18:605-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, we propose that the overall gradient of Hh is a composite of pools secreted by different routes (apical and basolateral), and that a cellular summation of these components is required for appropriate developmental patterning. ..
- Nestoras K, Lee H, Mohler J. Role of knot (kn) in wing patterning in Drosophila. Genetics. 1997;147:1203-12 pubmed..Instead we find that kn has a specific role in those cells of the wing imaginal disc that are subject to ptc-mediated Hh-signaling...
- Briscoe J, Chen Y, Jessell T, Struhl G. A hedgehog-insensitive form of patched provides evidence for direct long-range morphogen activity of sonic hedgehog in the neural tube. Mol Cell. 2001;7:1279-91 pubmed..blocking transduction of Hedgehog (Hh) signals through ectopic expression of a deleted form of the Hh receptor Patched (Ptc), termed Ptc(Deltaloop2)...
- Ogden S, Fei D, Schilling N, Ahmed Y, Hwa J, Robbins D. G protein Galphai functions immediately downstream of Smoothened in Hedgehog signalling. Nature. 2008;456:967-70 pubmed publisher..on signalling by the seven-transmembrane protein smoothened (Smo), which is regulated by the Hh receptor patched (Ptc)...
- Mullor J, Calleja M, Capdevila J, Guerrero I. Hedgehog activity, independent of decapentaplegic, participates in wing disc patterning. Development. 1997;124:1227-37 pubmed..One of the genes that mediates the Hh signal is the zinc-finger protein Cubitus interruptus (Ci). These results indicate that Hh has a Dpp-independent morphogenetic effect in the region of the wing disc near the A/P border. ..
- Lee J, Kraus P, Gaiano N, Nery S, Kohtz J, Fishell G, et al. An acylatable residue of Hedgehog is differentially required in Drosophila and mouse limb development. Dev Biol. 2001;233:122-36 pubmed..Furthermore, overexpression of the mutant form has dominant negative effects on Hedgehog signaling. These data suggest that the importance of the N-terminal cysteine of mature Hedgehog in patterning appendages differs between species. ..
- Wang Q, Holmgren R. The subcellular localization and activity of Drosophila cubitus interruptus are regulated at multiple levels. Development. 1999;126:5097-106 pubmed..and activates the full-length Ci protein leading to strong activation of downstream target genes including patched and decapentaplegic. A number of molecules have been implicated in the regulation of Ci...
- Zhang Q, Zhang L, Wang B, Ou C, Chien C, Jiang J. A hedgehog-induced BTB protein modulates hedgehog signaling by degrading Ci/Gli transcription factor. Dev Cell. 2006;10:719-29 pubmed..We provide evidence that HIB prevents aberrant Hh signaling posterior to the morphogenic furrow, which is essential for normal eye development. ..
- Khaliullina H, Panàkovà D, Eugster C, Riedel F, Carvalho M, Eaton S. Patched regulates Smoothened trafficking using lipoprotein-derived lipids. Development. 2009;136:4111-21 pubmed publisher..When Hh is absent, its receptor Patched (Ptc) represses Smoothened (Smo) signaling by an unknown catalytic mechanism that correlates with reduced Smo ..
- Hepker J, Wang Q, Motzny C, Holmgren R, Orenic T. Drosophila cubitus interruptus forms a negative feedback loop with patched and regulates expression of Hedgehog target genes. Development. 1997;124:549-58 pubmed..One of these target genes, patched, forms a negative feedback loop with ci that is regulated by Hh signal transduction...
- Ingham P. Transducing Hedgehog: the story so far. EMBO J. 1998;17:3505-11 pubmed..Elucidating the mechanisms by which Hedgehog signals are transduced will thus have widespread implications for our understanding of both normal development and disease. ..
- Wang Y, Price M. A unique protection signal in Cubitus interruptus prevents its complete proteasomal degradation. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:5555-68 pubmed publisher..We present a model whereby the zinc finger region and K750 together form a unique protection signal that prevents the complete degradation of Ci by the proteasome. ..
- Von Ohlen T, Hooper J. Hedgehog signaling regulates transcription through Gli/Ci binding sites in the wingless enhancer. Mech Dev. 1997;68:149-56 pubmed..Here we demonstrate that Hh and Patched (Ptc) act through those Ci binding sites to modulate the level of Ci-dependent transcriptional activation in S2 ..
- Dominguez M. Dual role for Hedgehog in the regulation of the proneural gene atonal during ommatidia development. Development. 1999;126:2345-53 pubmed..The two temporal responses to Hedgehog are due to direct stimulation of the responding cells by Hedgehog itself. ..
- von Dassow G, Meir E, Munro E, Odell G. The segment polarity network is a robust developmental module. Nature. 2000;406:188-92 pubmed..Here we suggest, using computer simulations, that the Drosophila segment polarity genes constitute such a module, and that this module is resistant to variations in the kinetic constants that govern its behaviour. ..
- Ogden S, Ascano M, Stegman M, Robbins D. Regulation of Hedgehog signaling: a complex story. Biochem Pharmacol. 2004;67:805-14 pubmed..Ci is regulated through communication of the membrane proteins Patched (Ptc) and Smoothened (Smo) to the intracellular Hedgehog Signaling Complex (HSC) in response to a graded ..
- Gettings M, Serman F, Rousset R, Bagnerini P, Almeida L, Noselli S. JNK signalling controls remodelling of the segment boundary through cell reprogramming during Drosophila morphogenesis. PLoS Biol. 2010;8:e1000390 pubmed publisher..Our results reveal plasticity of segment boundaries during late morphogenesis and a role for JNK-dependent developmental reprogramming in this process. ..
- Michel M, Kupinski A, Raabe I, Bökel C. Hh signalling is essential for somatic stem cell maintenance in the Drosophila testis niche. Development. 2012;139:2663-9 pubmed publisher..Our observations might therefore point towards a higher degree of organisational homology between the somatic components of gonads across the sexes and phyla than previously appreciated. ..
- Hosono C, Takaira K, Matsuda R, Saigo K. Functional subdivision of trunk visceral mesoderm parasegments in Drosophila is required for gut and trachea development. Development. 2003;130:439-49 pubmed
- McLellan J, Yao S, Zheng X, Geisbrecht B, Ghirlando R, Beachy P, et al. Structure of a heparin-dependent complex of Hedgehog and Ihog. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17208-13 pubmed..One member of this family, Ihog (interference hedgehog), functions upstream or at the level of Patched (Ptc), but how Ihog participates in Hh signaling remains unclear...
- Parker D, White M, Ramos A, Cohen B, Barolo S. The cis-regulatory logic of Hedgehog gradient responses: key roles for gli binding affinity, competition, and cooperativity. Sci Signal. 2011;4:ra38 pubmed publisher..It also provides an explanation for the widespread presence of conserved, nonconsensus Gli binding sites in Hh target genes. ..
- Sanson B, Alexandre C, Fascetti N, Vincent J. Engrailed and hedgehog make the range of Wingless asymmetric in Drosophila embryos. Cell. 1999;98:207-16 pubmed..We demonstrate the role of hedgehog in the formation of this barrier. ..
- Alexandre C, Lecourtois M, Vincent J. Wingless and Hedgehog pattern Drosophila denticle belts by regulating the production of short-range signals. Development. 1999;126:5689-98 pubmed..Attributes of a morphogen can be ascribed to Hedgehog in this system. However, no single morphogen organises the whole denticle pattern. ..
- Mullor J, Guerrero I. A gain-of-function mutant of patched dissects different responses to the hedgehog gradient. Dev Biol. 2000;228:211-24 pubmed..Herein, we identify the first dominant gain-of-function allele of patched, Confused (patched(Con))...
- Dussillol Godar F, Brissard Zahraoui J, Limbourg Bouchon B, Boucher D, Fouix S, Lamour Isnard C, et al. Modulation of the Suppressor of fused protein regulates the Hedgehog signaling pathway in Drosophila embryo and imaginal discs. Dev Biol. 2006;291:53-66 pubmed..Based on these results, we propose a model in which Su(fu) protein levels and isoforms are crucial for the modulation of the different Ci states that control Hh target gene expression. ..
- Franch Marro X, Wendler F, Guidato S, Griffith J, Baena Lopez A, Itasaki N, et al. Wingless secretion requires endosome-to-Golgi retrieval of Wntless/Evi/Sprinter by the retromer complex. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:170-7 pubmed publisher..Without the retromer-dependent recycling route, Wingless secretion is impaired and, as electron microscopy suggests, Wntless is diverted to a degradative compartment. ..
- Duman Scheel M, Weng L, Xin S, Du W. Hedgehog regulates cell growth and proliferation by inducing Cyclin D and Cyclin E. Nature. 2002;417:299-304 pubmed..We identified a mutation in patched (ptc), an inhibitor of Hh signalling, in a genetic screen for regulators of the Retinoblastoma (Rb) pathway in ..
- Casali A, Struhl G. Reading the Hedgehog morphogen gradient by measuring the ratio of bound to unbound Patched protein. Nature. 2004;431:76-80 pubmed..b>Patched (Ptc), the receptor for the morphogen Hedgehog (Hh), is active in the absence of ligand and blocks the expression ..
- Gallet A, Rodriguez R, Ruel L, Therond P. Cholesterol modification of hedgehog is required for trafficking and movement, revealing an asymmetric cellular response to hedgehog. Dev Cell. 2003;4:191-204 pubmed
- Lu X, Liu S, Kornberg T. The C-terminal tail of the Hedgehog receptor Patched regulates both localization and turnover. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2539-51 pubmedb>Patched (Ptc) is a membrane protein whose function in Hedgehog (Hh) signal transduction has been conserved among metazoans and whose malfunction has been implicated in human cancers...
- Casal J, Lawrence P, Struhl G. Two separate molecular systems, Dachsous/Fat and Starry night/Frizzled, act independently to confer planar cell polarity. Development. 2006;133:4561-72 pubmed..We consider how polarity may be propagated by Ds-Ft heterodimers acting as bridges between cells. ..
- Methot N, Basler K. An absolute requirement for Cubitus interruptus in Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2001;128:733-42 pubmed..of cells that lack Ci but have undergone maximal activation of the Hh transduction pathway due to the removal of Patched (Ptc)...
- Bollenbach T, Pantazis P, Kicheva A, Bökel C, Gonzalez Gaitan M, Jülicher F. Precision of the Dpp gradient. Development. 2008;135:1137-46 pubmed publisher..The precision of the Dpp gradient accounts for the precision of the spalt expression range, implying that Dpp can act as a morphogen to coarsely determine the expression pattern of target genes. ..
- Wesley C. Notch and wingless regulate expression of cuticle patterning genes. Mol Cell Biol. 1999;19:5743-58 pubmed..Wg; hairy, a negative regulator of achaete expression; shaggy, a negative regulator of engrailed expression; and patched, a negative regulator of wingless expression...
- Methot N, Basler K. Suppressor of fused opposes hedgehog signal transduction by impeding nuclear accumulation of the activator form of Cubitus interruptus. Development. 2000;127:4001-10 pubmed..We propose that Hh induces target gene expression by a two-step mechanism in which Ci[act] is first formed and then accumulates in the nucleus via Fu-induced neutralization of Su(fu) activity. ..
- Hatini V, DiNardo S. Divide and conquer: pattern formation in Drosophila embryonic epidermis. Trends Genet. 2001;17:574-9 pubmed..Here, we review several recent reports that help to elucidate the regulatory principles used to control this pattern. Because organizers are conserved, the same fundamental principles might operate in other organizers. ..
- Torroja C, Gorfinkiel N, Guerrero I. Patched controls the Hedgehog gradient by endocytosis in a dynamin-dependent manner, but this internalization does not play a major role in signal transduction. Development. 2004;131:2395-408 pubmed..b>Patched (Ptc), the Hh receptor, restrains both Hh spreading and Hh signaling...
- Smelkinson M, Zhou Q, Kalderon D. Regulation of Ci-SCFSlimb binding, Ci proteolysis, and hedgehog pathway activity by Ci phosphorylation. Dev Cell. 2007;13:481-95 pubmed..We also show that when Ci proteolysis is compromised, its specific activity is limited principally by Su(fu), and not by Cos2 cytoplasmic tethering or PKA phosphorylation. ..
- Biehs B, Sturtevant M, Bier E. Boundaries in the Drosophila wing imaginal disc organize vein-specific genetic programs. Development. 1998;125:4245-57 pubmed..We present a model in which different A/P boundaries organize vein-specific genetic programs to govern the development of individual veins. ..
- Bai J, Montell D. Eyes absent, a key repressor of polar cell fate during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 2002;129:5377-88 pubmed..Finally, we show that ectopic Hedgehog signaling, which is known to cause ectopic polar cell formation, does so by repressing eya expression in epithelial follicle cells. ..
- Albert R, Othmer H. The topology of the regulatory interactions predicts the expression pattern of the segment polarity genes in Drosophila melanogaster. J Theor Biol. 2003;223:1-18 pubmed..The model gives important insights into the functioning of the segment polarity gene network, such as the crucial role of the wingless and sloppy paired genes, and the network's ability to correct errors in the pre-pattern. ..
- Vied C, Kalderon D. Hedgehog-stimulated stem cells depend on non-canonical activity of the Notch co-activator Mastermind. Development. 2009;136:2177-86 pubmed publisher..Excess Hh signaling, induced by loss of patched (ptc), causes cell-autonomous duplication of FSCs...
- Yavari A, Nagaraj R, Owusu Ansah E, Folick A, Ngo K, Hillman T, et al. Role of lipid metabolism in smoothened derepression in hedgehog signaling. Dev Cell. 2010;19:54-65 pubmed publisherThe binding of Hedgehog (Hh) to its receptor Patched causes derepression of Smoothened (Smo), resulting in the activation of the Hh pathway...
- Sturtevant M, Biehs B, Marin E, Bier E. The spalt gene links the A/P compartment boundary to a linear adult structure in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1997;124:21-32 pubmed..We discuss how these data provide the final link connecting the formation of a linear adult structure to the establishment of a boundary by the maternal Bicoid morphogen gradient in the blastoderm embryo. ..
- Rodriguez I, Basler K. Control of compartmental affinity boundaries by hedgehog. Nature. 1997;389:614-8 pubmed
- Kuwabara P, Labouesse M. The sterol-sensing domain: multiple families, a unique role?. Trends Genet. 2002;18:193-201 pubmed..domain" (SSD) is conserved across phyla and is present in several membrane proteins, such as Patched (a Hedgehog receptor) and NPC-1 (the protein defective in Niemann-Pick type C1 disease)...
- Kopp A, Muskavitch M, Duncan I. The roles of hedgehog and engrailed in patterning adult abdominal segments of Drosophila. Development. 1997;124:3703-14 pubmed..Consistent with this, we find that strong ectopic expression of hh causes mirror-symmetric double posterior patterning, whereas hh loss of function can cause mirror-symmetric double anterior patterning. ..
- Kato K, Chihara T, Hayashi S. Hedgehog and Decapentaplegic instruct polarized growth of cell extensions in the Drosophila trachea. Development. 2004;131:5253-61 pubmed..Orthogonal expression of Hedgehog and Decapentaplegic in the epidermis instructs monopolar extension of the terminal branch along the posterior compartment, thereby matching the pattern of airway growth with that of the epidermis. ..
- Yao S, Lum L, Beachy P. The ihog cell-surface proteins bind Hedgehog and mediate pathway activation. Cell. 2006;125:343-57 pubmed..discs, and epistasis analysis places ihog action at or upstream of the negatively acting receptor component, Patched (Ptc)...
- Foronda D, Pérez Garijo A, Martín F. Dpp of posterior origin patterns the proximal region of the wing. Mech Dev. 2009;126:99-106 pubmed publisher..Since there is a similar expression in the haltere disc, we suggest that this late appearing posterior Dpp activity may be an attribute of dorsal thoracic discs. ..
- Hartman T, Zinshteyn D, Schofield H, Nicolas E, Okada A, O Reilly A. Drosophila Boi limits Hedgehog levels to suppress follicle stem cell proliferation. J Cell Biol. 2010;191:943-52 pubmed publisher..Our studies demonstrate that cells distant from the local niche can regulate stem cell function through ligand sequestration, a mechanism that likely is conserved in other epithelial tissues. ..
- Cheng S, Maier D, Hipfner D. Drosophila G-protein-coupled receptor kinase 2 regulates cAMP-dependent Hedgehog signaling. Development. 2012;139:85-94 pubmed publisher..Gprk2 is important for normal cAMP regulation, and thus has an indirect effect on the activity of Pka-regulated components of the Hh pathway, including Smo itself. ..
- Kagey J, Brown J, Moberg K. Regulation of Yorkie activity in Drosophila imaginal discs by the Hedgehog receptor gene patched. Mech Dev. 2012;129:339-49 pubmed publisher..between the vertebrate and invertebrate Hh pathways, studies in Drosophila have yet to find direct evidence that ptc limits organ size...
- Claret S, Sanial M, Plessis A. Evidence for a novel feedback loop in the Hedgehog pathway involving Smoothened and Fused. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1326-33 pubmed..The first steps in the reception and transduction of the HH signal are mediated by its receptor Patched (PTC)  and the seven-transmembrane-domain protein Smoothened (SMO) [4, 5]...
- Choo S, White R, Russell S. Genome-wide analysis of the binding of the Hox protein Ultrabithorax and the Hox cofactor Homothorax in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e14778 pubmed publisher..Overall, we define a set of direct Ubx targets in the haltere imaginal disc and suggest that chromatin accessibility has important implications for Hox target selection and for transcription factor binding in general. ..
- Østerlund T, Kogerman P. Hedgehog signalling: how to get from Smo to Ci and Gli. Trends Cell Biol. 2006;16:176-80 pubmed..Here, we discuss this evidence and its importance for investigations of the pathway and related biology, as well as for the development of drugs targeting components of the pathway for treatment of associated pathologies. ..
- Rhiner C, Diaz B, Portela M, Poyatos J, Fernández Ruíz I, López Gay J, et al. Persistent competition among stem cells and their daughters in the Drosophila ovary germline niche. Development. 2009;136:995-1006 pubmed publisher..Moreover, competitive interactions among stem cells may be relevant for the successful application of stem cell therapies in humans. ..
- Methot N, Basler K. Hedgehog controls limb development by regulating the activities of distinct transcriptional activator and repressor forms of Cubitus interruptus. Cell. 1999;96:819-31 pubmed..These different activities of Ci regulate overlapping but distinct subsets of Hh target genes. Thus, limb development is organized by the integration of different transcriptional outputs of Hh signaling. ..
- Lawrence P, Casal J, Struhl G. The hedgehog morphogen and gradients of cell affinity in the abdomen of Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:2441-9 pubmed..Within the P compartment we found some evidence for a U-shaped gradient of affinity, but this cannot be due to Hedgehog which does not act in the P compartment. ..
- Glise B, Jones D, Ingham P. Notch and Wingless modulate the response of cells to Hedgehog signalling in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2002;248:93-106 pubmed..modulation of Hh target gene expression along the DV axis of the wing disc revealed that collier/knot (col/kn), patched (ptc), and decapentaplegic (dpp) are repressed at the DV boundary by N signalling...
- Lum L, Zhang C, Oh S, Mann R, von Kessler D, Taipale J, et al. Hedgehog signal transduction via Smoothened association with a cytoplasmic complex scaffolded by the atypical kinesin, Costal-2. Mol Cell. 2003;12:1261-74 pubmed..Positive response of Cos2 to Hh stimulation requires a portion of the Smo cytoplasmic tail and the Cos2 cargo domain, which interacts directly with Smo. ..
- Su V, Jones K, Brodsky M, The I. Quantitative analysis of Hedgehog gradient formation using an inducible expression system. BMC Dev Biol. 2007;7:43 pubmed..Staining for the Hh receptor Ptc revealed four categories of Hh particles: cytoplasmic with and without Ptc, and cell surface with and without Ptc...
- Jekely G, Rørth P. Hrs mediates downregulation of multiple signalling receptors in Drosophila. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:1163-8 pubmed..Finally, most hrs-dependent receptor turnover appears to be ligand independent. Thus, both active and inactive signalling receptors are targeted for degradation in vivo and Hrs is required for their removal. ..
- Han C, Belenkaya T, Wang B, Lin X. Drosophila glypicans control the cell-to-cell movement of Hedgehog by a dynamin-independent process. Development. 2004;131:601-11 pubmed..We propose that glypicans transfer Hh along the cell membrane to pattern a field of cells. ..
- Amoyel M, Sanny J, Burel M, Bach E. Hedgehog is required for CySC self-renewal but does not contribute to the GSC niche in the Drosophila testis. Development. 2013;140:56-65 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the extended niche function of CySCs is solely attributable to JAK/STAT pathway function...