Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Psi
Description: P-element somatic inhibitor
Alias: CG8912, Dmel\CG8912, EG:EG0003.2, PSI, P-element somatic inhibitor, CG8912-PA, CG8912-PB, CG8912-PC, P element somatic inhibitor, P-element somatic inhibitor protein, Psi-PA, Psi-PB, Psi-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Oas S, Bryantsev A, Cripps R. Arrest is a regulator of fiber-specific alternative splicing in the indirect flight muscles of Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:895-908 pubmed publisher..Our observations provide insight into a transcriptional and splicing regulatory network for muscle fiber specification. ..
- Chmiel N, Rio D, Doudna J. Distinct contributions of KH domains to substrate binding affinity of Drosophila P-element somatic inhibitor protein. RNA. 2006;12:283-91 pubmedDrosophila P-element somatic inhibitor protein (PSI) regulates splicing of the P-element transposase pre-mRNA by binding a pseudo-splice site upstream of the authentic splice site using four tandem KH-type RNA binding motifs...
- Guo L, Zaysteva O, Nie Z, Mitchell N, Amanda Lee J, Ware T, et al. Defining the essential function of FBP/KSRP proteins: Drosophila Psi interacts with the mediator complex to modulate MYC transcription and tissue growth. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:7646-58 pubmed publisher..Using Drosophila, where the three mammalian FBP proteins (FBP1-3) are represented by one ortholog, Psi, we demonstrate the primary developmental role is control of cell and tissue growth...
- Li X, Chatterjee N, Spirohn K, Boutros M, Bohmann D. Cdk12 Is A Gene-Selective RNA Polymerase II Kinase That Regulates a Subset of the Transcriptome, Including Nrf2 Target Genes. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21455 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Cdk12 acts as a gene-selective Pol II kinase that engages a global shift in gene expression to switch cells from a metabolically active state to "stress-defence mode" when challenged by external stress. ..
- Taliaferro J, Marwha D, Aspden J, Mavrici D, Cheng N, Kohlstaedt L, et al. The Drosophila splicing factor PSI is phosphorylated by casein kinase II and tousled-like kinase. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56401 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the Drosophila splicing factor P element Somatic Inhibitor (PSI) is phosphorylated at at least two different sites by at minimum two different kinases, casein ..
- Cranna N, Mitchell N, Hannan R, Quinn L. Hfp, the Drosophila homolog of the mammalian c-myc transcriptional-repressor and tumor suppressor FIR, inhibits dmyc transcription and cell growth. Fly (Austin). 2011;5:129-33 pubmed
- Smith C, Valcarcel J. Alternative pre-mRNA splicing: the logic of combinatorial control. Trends Biochem Sci. 2000;25:381-8 pubmed..Its modulation is achieved through the combinatorial interplay of positive and negative regulatory signals present in the RNA, which are recognized by complexes composed of members of the hnRNP and SR protein families. ..
- Grams R, Korge G. The mub gene encodes a protein containing three KH domains and is expressed in the mushroom bodies of Drosophila melanogaster. Gene. 1998;215:191-201 pubmed..Null mutants of the mub gene do not exhibit a visible mutant phenotype. We speculate, therefore, that the mub gene is involved in learning and memory processes. ..
- Telonis Scott M, Kopp A, Wayne M, Nuzhdin S, McIntyre L. Sex-specific splicing in Drosophila: widespread occurrence, tissue specificity and evolutionary conservation. Genetics. 2009;181:421-34 pubmed publisher..females. We found that all six loci are themselves spliced sex specifically in gonads and heads, suggesting that regulatory hierarchies based on alternative splicing may be an important feature of sexual differentiation. ..
- Chabot B. Directing alternative splicing: cast and scenarios. Trends Genet. 1996;12:472-8 pubmed..The identity of splicing signals, the presence of modulating elements and differences in the distribution of RNA-binding proteins are key determinants involved in the tissue-specific regulation of splice site selection. ..
- Siebel C, Rio D. Regulated splicing of the Drosophila P transposable element third intron in vitro: somatic repression. Science. 1990;248:1200-8 pubmed