Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pros
Alias: 0244/09, 0320/10, 0441/16, 0451/09, 0563/18, 0585/13, 0664/07, 0671/02, 0763/13, 0989/01, 1135/07, 1135/09, 1167/13, 1316/02, 671/2, BcDNA:HL08040, CG17228, DMPROSPER, DROPROSA, Dmel\CG17228, PROS, PROS-1, PROS-2, Pro, Pros, Prosp, Voila, anon-WO0140519.15, l(3)10419, l(3)j12C8, l(3)j6E2, l(3)rH013, l(3)rI160, l(3)rJ806, l(3)rK137, l(3)rK204, l(3)rL433, l(3)rO534, pro, voila, prospero, CG17228-PH, CG17228-PI, CG17228-PJ, CG17228-PK, CG17228-PL, CG17228-PM, a la voile et a la vapeur, pros-PH, pros-PI, pros-PJ, pros-PK, pros-PL, pros-PM
Species: fruit fly
- Gho M, Schweisguth F. Frizzled signalling controls orientation of asymmetric sense organ precursor cell divisions in Drosophila. Nature. 1998;393:178-81 pubmed..This difference in cell-division orientation is largely independent of the identity of the secondary precursor cells, and is regulated by Frizzled-independent mechanisms. ..
- Albertson R, Doe C. Dlg, Scrib and Lgl regulate neuroblast cell size and mitotic spindle asymmetry. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:166-70 pubmed..We conclude that Dlg/Scrib/Lgl are important in regulating cortical polarity, cell size asymmetry and mitotic spindle asymmetry in Drosophila neuroblasts. ..
- Biteau B, Hochmuth C, Jasper H. JNK activity in somatic stem cells causes loss of tissue homeostasis in the aging Drosophila gut. Cell Stem Cell. 2008;3:442-55 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that this balance is lost in old animals, increasing the potential for neoplastic transformation. ..
- Bhalerao S, Berdnik D, Torok T, Knoblich J. Localization-dependent and -independent roles of numb contribute to cell-fate specification in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1583-90 pubmed..Our results suggest that two classes of asymmetric cell division exist, each with different requirements for asymmetric inheritance of cell-fate determinants. ..
- Wang S, Younger Shepherd S, Jan L, Jan Y. Only a subset of the binary cell fate decisions mediated by Numb/Notch signaling in Drosophila sensory organ lineage requires Suppressor of Hairless. Development. 1997;124:4435-46 pubmed..These studies reveal that Suppressor of Hairless is required for only a subset of the asymmetric divisions that depend on the function of numb and Notch. ..
- Weng R, Cohen S. Drosophila miR-124 regulates neuroblast proliferation through its target anachronism. Development. 2012;139:1427-34 pubmed publisher..We discuss the possibility that the apparent divergence of function of miR-124 in different model systems might reflect functional divergence through target site evolution. ..
- Wodarz A, Gonzalez C. Connecting cancer to the asymmetric division of stem cells. Cell. 2006;124:1121-3 pubmed..This work suggests a mechanism by which loss of polarity in stem cells may lead to tumorigenesis. ..
- Sousa Nunes R, Chia W, Somers W. Protein phosphatase 4 mediates localization of the Miranda complex during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. Genes Dev. 2009;23:359-72 pubmed publisher..on cytoplasmic/membrane-associated Flfl, whereas nuclear Flfl is required to exclude the cell fate determinant Prospero (Pros), and consequently Mira, from the nucleus during interphase/prophase...
- Ohlstein B, Spradling A. Multipotent Drosophila intestinal stem cells specify daughter cell fates by differential notch signaling. Science. 2007;315:988-92 pubmed..Thus, ISCs control daughter cell fate by modulating Notch signaling over time. Our studies suggest that ISCs actively coordinate cell production with local tissue requirements by this mechanism. ..
- Jan Y, Jan L. Asymmetric cell division. Nature. 1998;392:775-8 pubmed
- Jiang H, Edgar B. EGFR signaling regulates the proliferation of Drosophila adult midgut progenitors. Development. 2009;136:483-93 pubmed publisher..Two stronger EGFR ligands, Spitz and Keren, are expressed by the AMPs themselves and provide an additional, autocrine mitogenic stimulus to the AMPs during late larval stages. ..
- Srinivasan S, Peng C, Nair S, Skeath J, Spana E, Doe C. Biochemical analysis of ++Prospero protein during asymmetric cell division: cortical Prospero is highly phosphorylated relative to nuclear Prospero. Dev Biol. 1998;204:478-87 pubmed..An essential regulator of GMC development is the Prospero homeodomain transcription factor: Prospero is asymmetrically localized to the basal cortex of the mitotic ..
- Chatterjee M, Ip Y. Pathogenic stimulation of intestinal stem cell response in Drosophila. J Cell Physiol. 2009;220:664-71 pubmed publisher..This system should allow molecular and genetic analyses of stem cell-mediated tissue repair. ..
- Kanai M, Okabe M, Hiromi Y. seven-up Controls switching of transcription factors that specify temporal identities of Drosophila neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2005;8:203-13 pubmed..Lineage analysis provides evidence that svp is required to switch off HB at the proper time. Thus, svp modifies the self-renewal stem cell program to allow chronological change of cell fates, thereby generating neuronal diversity. ..
- Akiyama Oda Y, Hosoya T, Hotta Y. Asymmetric cell division of thoracic neuroblast 6-4 to bifurcate glial and neuronal lineage in Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:1967-74 pubmed..Our observations suggest that mechanisms regulating gcm mRNA expression and its translation play an important role in glial and neuronal lineage bifurcation that results from asymmetric cell division. ..
- Xiao Q, Komori H, Lee C. klumpfuss distinguishes stem cells from progenitor cells during asymmetric neuroblast division. Development. 2012;139:2670-80 pubmed publisher..These results led us to propose that multiple mechanisms converge to exert precise control of klu and distinguish a progenitor cell from its sibling stem cell during asymmetric neuroblast division. ..
- Berger C, Pallavi S, Prasad M, Shashidhara L, Technau G. A critical role for cyclin E in cell fate determination in the central nervous system of Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:56-62 pubmed..This is attributed to an asymmetric first division of NB6-4t, localizing prospero (pros) and glial cell missing (gcm) only to the glial precursor cell, and a symmetric division of NB6-4a, where ..
- Domingos P, Brown S, Barrio R, Ratnakumar K, Frankfort B, Mardon G, et al. Regulation of R7 and R8 differentiation by the spalt genes. Dev Biol. 2004;273:121-33 pubmed..proper R7 differentiation during the third instar larval stage since the expression of several R7 larval markers (prospero, enhancer of split mdelta0.5, and runt) is lost in spalt mutant clones...
- Manning L, Doe C. Prospero distinguishes sibling cell fate without asymmetric localization in the Drosophila adult external sense organ lineage. Development. 1999;126:2063-71 pubmed..Here we investigate the expression and function of prospero in the adult SOP lineage...
- Berger C, Kannan R, Myneni S, Renner S, Shashidhara L, Technau G. Cell cycle independent role of Cyclin E during neural cell fate specification in Drosophila is mediated by its regulation of Prospero function. Dev Biol. 2010;337:415-24 pubmed publisher..Results presented here also suggest that CycE inhibits the function of Prospero and facilitates its cortical localization, which is critical for inducing stem cell behaviour, i.e...
- Jiang H, Patel P, Kohlmaier A, Grenley M, McEwen D, Edgar B. Cytokine/Jak/Stat signaling mediates regeneration and homeostasis in the Drosophila midgut. Cell. 2009;137:1343-55 pubmed publisher..Hence, cytokine-mediated feedback enables stem cells to replace spent progeny as they are lost, thereby establishing gut homeostasis. ..
- Shaw R, Kohlmaier A, Polesello C, Veelken C, Edgar B, Tapon N. The Hippo pathway regulates intestinal stem cell proliferation during Drosophila adult midgut regeneration. Development. 2010;137:4147-58 pubmed publisher..In addition, Yki, the pro-growth transcription factor target of the Hpo pathway, is required in ISCs to drive the proliferative response to ..
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Strand M, Micchelli C. Quiescent gastric stem cells maintain the adult Drosophila stomach. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2011;108:17696-701 pubmed publisher..Characterization of the GSSC lineage in Drosophila, with striking similarities to mammals, will advance the study of both homeostatic and pathogenic processes in the stomach. ..
- Wang H, Ouyang Y, Somers W, Chia W, Lu B. Polo inhibits progenitor self-renewal and regulates Numb asymmetry by phosphorylating Pon. Nature. 2007;449:96-100 pubmed..Our results reveal a biochemical link between the cell cycle and the asymmetric protein localization machinery, and indicate that Polo can inhibit progenitor self-renewal by regulating the localization and function of Numb. ..
- Lin G, Xu N, Xi R. Paracrine Wingless signalling controls self-renewal of Drosophila intestinal stem cells. Nature. 2008;455:1119-23 pubmed publisher..The identification of the Drosophila ISC niche and the principal self-renewal signal will facilitate further understanding of intestinal homeostasis control and tumorigenesis. ..
- Huttner W, Brand M. Asymmetric division and polarity of neuroepithelial cells. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1997;7:29-39 pubmed
- Barros C, Phelps C, Brand A. Drosophila nonmuscle myosin II promotes the asymmetric segregation of cell fate determinants by cortical exclusion rather than active transport. Dev Cell. 2003;5:829-40 pubmed..In the Drosophila embryo, neuroblasts divide asymmetrically and in a stem cell fashion. The determinants Prospero and Numb localize in a basal crescent and are partitioned from neuroblasts to their daughters (GMCs)...
- Betschinger J, Mechtler K, Knoblich J. Asymmetric segregation of the tumor suppressor brat regulates self-renewal in Drosophila neural stem cells. Cell. 2006;124:1241-53 pubmed..of the adult brain-regulate proliferation by segregating the growth inhibitor Brat and the transcription factor Prospero into only one daughter cell. Like Prospero, Brat binds and cosegregates with the adaptor protein Miranda...
- van Meyel D, O Keefe D, Thor S, Jurata L, Gill G, Thomas J. Chip is an essential cofactor for apterous in the regulation of axon guidance in Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:1823-31 pubmed
- Bello B, Holbro N, Reichert H. Polycomb group genes are required for neural stem cell survival in postembryonic neurogenesis of Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1091-9 pubmed..Moreover, together with data on mammalian PcG genes, they imply that repression of aberrant reactivation of Hox genes may be a general and evolutionarily conserved role for PcG genes in CNS development. ..
- Broadus J, Fuerstenberg S, Doe C. Staufen-dependent localization of prospero mRNA contributes to neuroblast daughter-cell fate. Nature. 1998;391:792-5 pubmed..The prospero (pros) mRNA and the RNA-binding protein Staufen (Stau) are asymmetrically localized in mitotic neuroblasts and ..
- Nolo R, Abbott L, Bellen H. Senseless, a Zn finger transcription factor, is necessary and sufficient for sensory organ development in Drosophila. Cell. 2000;102:349-62 pubmed..Sens is then in turn required to further activate and maintain proneural gene expression. This feedback mechanism is essential for selective enhancement and maintenance of proneural gene expression in the SOPs. ..
- Wernet M, Desplan C. Building a retinal mosaic: cell-fate decision in the fly eye. Trends Cell Biol. 2004;14:576-84 pubmed..Notably, several of the factors used in generating the retinal mosaic of the fruitfly have corresponding functions in vertebrates that are likely to have similar roles. ..
- Reddy G, Rodrigues V. Sibling cell fate in the Drosophila adult external sense organ lineage is specified by prospero function, which is regulated by Numb and Notch. Development. 1999;126:2083-92 pubmed..We show that the homeodomain transcription factor Prospero (Pros) acts as an intrinsic signal for the specification of cell fates within the mechanosensory lineage...
- Hayashi T, Xu C, Carthew R. Cell-type-specific transcription of prospero is controlled by combinatorial signaling in the Drosophila eye. Development. 2008;135:2787-96 pubmed publisher..In the compound eye, prospero (pros) is transcribed specifically in R7 photoreceptors and cone cells...
- Atwood S, Chabu C, Penkert R, Doe C, Prehoda K. Cdc42 acts downstream of Bazooka to regulate neuroblast polarity through Par-6 aPKC. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3200-6 pubmed..We conclude that Cdc42 regulates aPKC localization and activity downstream of Bazooka, thereby directing neuroblast cell polarity and asymmetric cell division. ..
- Micchelli C, Perrimon N. Evidence that stem cells reside in the adult Drosophila midgut epithelium. Nature. 2006;439:475-9 pubmed..The ability to identify, manipulate and genetically trace cell lineages in the midgut should lead to the discovery of additional genes that regulate stem and progenitor cell biology in the gastrointestinal tract. ..
- Jackson Behan K, Fair J, Singh S, Bogwitz M, Perry T, Grubor V, et al. Alternative splicing removes an Ets interaction domain from Lozenge during Drosophila eye development. Dev Genes Evol. 2005;215:423-35 pubmed..homolog of the vertebrate Ets-1 protein; both Lozenge and Pointed proteins are needed for the activation of prospero expression...
- Doe C, Bowerman B. Asymmetric cell division: fly neuroblast meets worm zygote. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:68-75 pubmed..Mammalian epithelia also use this complex to regulate apical/basal polarity. Recent results have allowed us to compare the mechanisms regulating asymmetric cell division in Drosophila neuroblasts and the C. elegans zygote. ..
- Grosjean Y, Lacaille F, Acebes A, Clemencet J, Ferveur J. Taste, movement, and death: varying effects of new prospero mutants during Drosophila development. J Neurobiol. 2003;55:1-13 pubmedThe PGal4 transposon inserted upstream of the pan-neural gene prospero (pros) causes several neural and behavioral defects in the Voila(1) strain...
- Kauffmann R, Li S, Gallagher P, Zhang J, Carthew R. Ras1 signaling and transcriptional competence in the R7 cell of Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1996;10:2167-78 pubmed..We show that the prospero gene becomes transcriptionally activated at a low level in all Sevenless-competent cells prior to Sevenless ..
- Perdigoto C, Schweisguth F, Bardin A. Distinct levels of Notch activity for commitment and terminal differentiation of stem cells in the adult fly intestine. Development. 2011;138:4585-95 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that a commitment requirement for high-level Notch activity safeguards the stem cells from loss through differentiation, revealing a novel role for the importance of Notch signaling levels in this system. ..
- Akong K, McCartney B, Peifer M. Drosophila APC2 and APC1 have overlapping roles in the larval brain despite their distinct intracellular localizations. Dev Biol. 2002;250:71-90 pubmed..Our experiments suggest that this does not result from misregulation of Wg signaling, and thus may involve the cytoskeletal or adhesive roles of APC proteins. ..
- Wang H, Somers G, Bashirullah A, Heberlein U, Yu F, Chia W. Aurora-A acts as a tumor suppressor and regulates self-renewal of Drosophila neuroblasts. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3453-63 pubmed..We have identified a novel mechanism for controlling the balance between self-renewal and neuronal differentiation during the asymmetric division of Drosophila larval NBs. ..
- Mathur D, Bost A, Driver I, Ohlstein B. A transient niche regulates the specification of Drosophila intestinal stem cells. Science. 2010;327:210-3 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a paradigm for stem cell-niche biology, where progenitors generate transient niches that determine stem cell fate and may give insights into stem cell specification in other tissues. ..
- Bhattacharya A, Baker N. The HLH protein Extramacrochaetae is required for R7 cell and cone cell fates in the Drosophila eye. Dev Biol. 2009;327:288-300 pubmed publisher..A model is proposed in which Extramacrochaetae acts in parallel to or as a feed-forward regulator of the E(spl)-Complex to promote Notch signaling in particular cellular contexts. ..
- Brody T, Odenwald W. Programmed transformations in neuroblast gene expression during Drosophila CNS lineage development. Dev Biol. 2000;226:34-44 pubmed
- Gho M, Bellaiche Y, Schweisguth F. Revisiting the Drosophila microchaete lineage: a novel intrinsically asymmetric cell division generates a glial cell. Development. 1999;126:3573-84 pubmed..Both Numb and Prospero segregated specifically into the basal glial and neuronal cells during the pIIb and pIIIb divisions, respectively...
- Yu F, Morin X, Cai Y, Yang X, Chia W. Analysis of partner of inscuteable, a novel player of Drosophila asymmetric divisions, reveals two distinct steps in inscuteable apical localization. Cell. 2000;100:399-409 pubmed
- Griffiths R, Hidalgo A. Prospero maintains the mitotic potential of glial precursors enabling them to respond to neurons. EMBO J. 2004;23:2440-50 pubmed..We show here that glial proliferation is regulated by interactions with axons and that the Drosophila gene prospero is required to maintain the mitotic potential of glia...
- Apidianakis Y, Pitsouli C, Perrimon N, Rahme L. Synergy between bacterial infection and genetic predisposition in intestinal dysplasia. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:20883-8 pubmed publisher..Assessment of progenitor cell responses to pathogenic intestinal bacteria could provide a measure of predisposition for apoptotic enterocyte-assisted intestinal dysplasias in humans. ..
- Ben Yaacov S, Le Borgne R, Abramson I, Schweisguth F, Schejter E. Wasp, the Drosophila Wiskott-Aldrich syndrome gene homologue, is required for cell fate decisions mediated by Notch signaling. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1-13 pubmed..The nature of the Wsp mutant phenotypes, coupled with genetic interaction studies, identifies an essential role for Wsp in lineage decisions mediated by the Notch signaling pathway. ..
- Shen C, Jan L, Jan Y. Miranda is required for the asymmetric localization of Prospero during mitosis in Drosophila. Cell. 1997;90:449-58 pubmed..organ precursor cells, and cells in the procephalic neurogenic region involves the segregation of Numb and Prospero proteins into one of the two daughter cells...
- Orgogozo V, Schweisguth F, Bellaiche Y. Lineage, cell polarity and inscuteable function in the peripheral nervous system of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2001;128:631-43 pubmed..This study establishes for the first time the function of Inscuteable in the PNS, and provides the basis for studying the mechanisms controlling planar and apical-basal cell polarities in the embryonic sensory organ lineages. ..
- Lee W, Beebe K, Sudmeier L, Micchelli C. Adenomatous polyposis coli regulates Drosophila intestinal stem cell proliferation. Development. 2009;136:2255-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these data underscore the essential requirement of Apc in exerting regulatory control over stem cell activity, as well as the consequences that disrupting this regulation can have on tissue homeostasis. ..
- Atwood S, Prehoda K. aPKC phosphorylates Miranda to polarize fate determinants during neuroblast asymmetric cell division. Curr Biol. 2009;19:723-9 pubmed publisher..Rather than mediating Miranda cortical displacement, Lgl instead promotes aPKC asymmetry by regulating its activity. The role of myosin II in neuroblast polarization, if any, is unknown. ..
- Petritsch C, Tavosanis G, Turck C, Jan L, Jan Y. The Drosophila myosin VI Jaguar is required for basal protein targeting and correct spindle orientation in mitotic neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2003;4:273-81 pubmed..Our studies demonstrate that a class VI myosin is necessary for basal protein targeting and spindle orientation in neuroblasts. ..
- Schuldt A, Adams J, Davidson C, Micklem D, Haseloff J, St Johnston D, et al. Miranda mediates asymmetric protein and RNA localization in the developing nervous system. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1847-57 pubmed..During these divisions, the cell fate determinant Prospero is asymmetrically partitioned to the GMC by Miranda protein, which tethers it to the basal cortex of the dividing ..
- Kaltschmidt J, Davidson C, Brown N, Brand A. Rotation and asymmetry of the mitotic spindle direct asymmetric cell division in the developing central nervous system. Nat Cell Biol. 2000;2:7-12 pubmed..In the Drosophila embryo, the determinant Prospero is localized basally and is segregated equally to daughters of similar cell size during epidermal cell division...
- Bayraktar O, Boone J, Drummond M, Doe C. Drosophila type II neuroblast lineages keep Prospero levels low to generate large clones that contribute to the adult brain central complex. Neural Dev. 2010;5:26 pubmed publisher..Type I neuroblasts and INPs have nuclear Asense and cytoplasmic Prospero, whereas type II neuroblasts lack both these transcription factors...
- Weng M, Golden K, Lee C. dFezf/Earmuff maintains the restricted developmental potential of intermediate neural progenitors in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2010;18:126-35 pubmed publisher..Erm restricts the potential of intermediate neural progenitors by activating Prospero to limit proliferation and by antagonizing Notch signaling to prevent dedifferentiation...
- Colonques J, Ceron J, Reichert H, Tejedor F. A transient expression of Prospero promotes cell cycle exit of Drosophila postembryonic neurons through the regulation of Dacapo. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e19342 pubmed publisher..During the asymmetric division of NBs, the homeodomain transcription factor PROSPERO is segregated into the GMC where it plays a key role as cell fate determinant...
- Lu B, Rothenberg M, Jan L, Jan Y. Partner of Numb colocalizes with Numb during mitosis and directs Numb asymmetric localization in Drosophila neural and muscle progenitors. Cell. 1998;95:225-35 pubmed..We propose that PON is one component of a multimolecular machinery that localizes Numb by responding to polarity cues conserved in neural precursors and epithelial cells. ..
- Ceron J, Tejedor F, Moya F. A primary cell culture of Drosophila postembryonic larval neuroblasts to study cell cycle and asymmetric division. Eur J Cell Biol. 2006;85:567-75 pubmed..allowed us to conclude that localization of asymmetric cell division markers such as Inscuteable, Miranda, Prospero and Numb is cell autonomous...
- Bowman S, Rolland V, Betschinger J, Kinsey K, Emery G, Knoblich J. The tumor suppressors Brat and Numb regulate transit-amplifying neuroblast lineages in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:535-46 pubmed publisher..the Posterior Asense-Negative (PAN) neuroblasts, which do not express the transcription factors Asense or Prospero. PAN neuroblasts rely on the segregating determinants Numb and Brat to generate smaller, secondary neuroblasts ..
- Okabe M, Imai T, Kurusu M, Hiromi Y, Okano H. Translational repression determines a neuronal potential in Drosophila asymmetric cell division. Nature. 2001;411:94-8 pubmed..Thus, Notch signalling is likely to regulate MSI activity rather than its expression. Our results define cell-type-specific translational control of ttk69 by MSI as a downstream event of Notch signalling in asymmetric cell division. ..
- Hassan B, Li L, Bremer K, Chang W, Pinsonneault J, Vaessin H. Prospero is a panneural transcription factor that modulates homeodomain protein activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:10991-6 pubmedThe panneural protein Prospero is required for proper differentiation of neuronal lineages and proper expression of several genes in the nervous system of Drosophila...
- Grosskortenhaus R, Pearson B, Marusich A, Doe C. Regulation of temporal identity transitions in Drosophila neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2005;8:193-202 pubmed..We conclude that two distinct "timers" regulate neuroblast gene expression: a hunchback --> Kruppel timer requiring cytokinesis, and a Kruppel --> pdm1 --> castor timer which is cell cycle independent. ..
- Xie B, Charlton Perkins M, McDonald E, Gebelein B, Cook T. Senseless functions as a molecular switch for color photoreceptor differentiation in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:4243-53 pubmed..This repression is mediated by the transcription factor Prospero (Pros)...
- Tea J, Chihara T, Luo L. Histone deacetylase Rpd3 regulates olfactory projection neuron dendrite targeting via the transcription factor Prospero. J Neurosci. 2010;30:9939-46 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, disruption of the atypical homeodomain transcription factor Prospero (Pros) yields similar phenotypes, which can be rescued by Pros expression in postmitotic neurons...
- San Juán B, Baonza A. The bHLH factor deadpan is a direct target of Notch signaling and regulates neuroblast self-renewal in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2011;352:70-82 pubmed publisher..We show that in addition to dpn, Notch signaling must be regulating other genes during this process that act redundantly with dpn. ..
- Fan Y, Lee T, Xu D, Chen Z, Lamblin A, Steller H, et al. Dual roles of Drosophila p53 in cell death and cell differentiation. Cell Death Differ. 2010;17:912-21 pubmed publisher..this study, using the developing eye as a model, we show that Dp53-induced apoptosis is primarily dependent on the pro-apoptotic gene, head involution defective (hid), but not reaper (rpr), and occurs through the canonical apoptosis ..
- Bello B, Izergina N, Caussinus E, Reichert H. Amplification of neural stem cell proliferation by intermediate progenitor cells in Drosophila brain development. Neural Dev. 2008;3:5 pubmed publisher..to self renew but, unlike other brain neuroblasts, do not segregate the differentiating cell fate determinant Prospero to their smaller daughter cells...
- Cabernard C, Doe C. Apical/basal spindle orientation is required for neuroblast homeostasis and neuronal differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:134-41 pubmed publisher..localized into one sibling without inducing neuronal differentiation, but overexpression of the basal determinant Prospero can deplete neuroblasts...
- Behan K, Nichols C, Cheung T, Farlow A, Hogan B, Batterham P, et al. Yan regulates Lozenge during Drosophila eye development. Dev Genes Evol. 2002;212:267-76 pubmed..In this way, Yan and Pointed are essential for prospero regulation. Hyperstable Yan (ACT) cannot be phosphorylated and blocks prospero expression...
- Wirtz Peitz F, Nishimura T, Knoblich J. Linking cell cycle to asymmetric division: Aurora-A phosphorylates the Par complex to regulate Numb localization. Cell. 2008;135:161-73 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a molecular mechanism for the asymmetric localization of Numb and show how cell polarity can be coupled to cell-cycle progression. ..
- Peng C, Manning L, Albertson R, Doe C. The tumour-suppressor genes lgl and dlg regulate basal protein targeting in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nature. 2000;408:596-600 pubmed..We conclude that Dlg and Lgl promote, and myosin II inhibits, actomyosin-dependent basal protein targeting in neuroblasts. ..
- Hochmuth C, Biteau B, Bohmann D, Jasper H. Redox regulation by Keap1 and Nrf2 controls intestinal stem cell proliferation in Drosophila. Cell Stem Cell. 2011;8:188-99 pubmed publisher..Our findings establish Keap1 and Nrf2 as a critical redox management system that regulates stem cell function in high-turnover tissues. ..
- Morey M, Yee S, Herman T, Nern A, Blanco E, Zipursky S. Coordinate control of synaptic-layer specificity and rhodopsins in photoreceptor neurons. Nature. 2008;456:795-9 pubmed publisher..We show that R7 targeting requires the R7-specific transcription factor Prospero (Pros) in parallel to repression of the R8 targeting pathway by NF-YC...
- Kanuka H, Sawamoto K, Inohara N, Matsuno K, Okano H, Miura M. Control of the cell death pathway by Dapaf-1, a Drosophila Apaf-1/CED-4-related caspase activator. Mol Cell. 1999;4:757-69 pubmed..These data suggest that Dapaf-1/cytochrome c-dependent cell death-inducing machinery is present in Drosophila, and the requirement of Dapaf-1/Apaf-1 in neural cell death is conserved through evolution. ..
- Kuchinke U, Grawe F, Knust E. Control of spindle orientation in Drosophila by the Par-3-related PDZ-domain protein Bazooka. Curr Biol. 1998;8:1357-65 pubmed..The PDZ domains of Bazooka provide several protein-protein interfaces, which possibly participate in the assembly of a multiprotein complex at the apical pole. ..
- Caussinus E, Gonzalez C. Induction of tumor growth by altered stem-cell asymmetric division in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1125-9 pubmed..We found that larval brain tissue carrying neuroblasts with mutations in raps (also called pins), mira, numb or pros grew to more than 100 times their initial size, invading other tissues and killing the hosts in 2 weeks...
- Wodarz A, Ramrath A, Kuchinke U, Knust E. Bazooka provides an apical cue for Inscuteable localization in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nature. 1999;402:544-7 pubmed..inscuteable controls both spindle orientation and the asymmetric localization of the cell-fate determinants Prospero and Numb...