Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pnut
Alias: CG8705, Dmel\CG8705, E(sina)44C, E(sina)8, PNUT, Peanut, Pnut, anon-EST:Liang-2.18, clone 2.18, l(2)02502, peanut, CG8705-PA, CG8705-PB, enhancer of seven in absentia 8, pnut-PA, pnut-PB, septin, septin 3, septin[Pnut]
Species: fruit fly
- Huijbregts R, Svitin A, Stinnett M, Renfrow M, Chesnokov I. Drosophila Orc6 facilitates GTPase activity and filament formation of the septin complex. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:270-81 pubmed publisher..smallest subunit of ORC, is essential for both replication and cytokinesis in Drosophila, and interacts with the septin protein Pnut, which is part of the Drosophila septin complex...
- D Avino P, Savoian M, Glover D. Mutations in sticky lead to defective organization of the contractile ring during cytokinesis and are enhanced by Rho and suppressed by Rac. J Cell Biol. 2004;166:61-71 pubmed..Similar genetic evidence indicates that RacGAP50C inhibits Rac during cytokinesis. We discuss that antagonism between Rho and Rac pathways may control contractile ring dynamics during cytokinesis. ..
- Padash Barmchi M, Rogers S, Hacker U. DRhoGEF2 regulates actin organization and contractility in the Drosophila blastoderm embryo. J Cell Biol. 2005;168:575-85 pubmed..Our results support the hypothesis that specific aspects of Rho1 function are regulated by specific GTP exchange factors...
- Pan F, Malmberg R, Momany M. Analysis of septins across kingdoms reveals orthology and new motifs. BMC Evol Biol. 2007;7:103 pubmed..Comparative sequence alignments revealed septin derivatives of already known G1, G3 and G4 GTPase motifs, four new motifs from two to twelve amino acids long and ..
- Somers W, Saint R. A RhoGEF and Rho family GTPase-activating protein complex links the contractile ring to cortical microtubules at the onset of cytokinesis. Dev Cell. 2003;4:29-39 pubmed
- Adam J, Pringle J, Peifer M. Evidence for functional differentiation among Drosophila septins in cytokinesis and cellularization. Mol Biol Cell. 2000;11:3123-35 pubmed..In Drosophila melanogaster, null mutations in the pnut septin gene are recessive lethal, but homozygous pnut mutants complete embryogenesis and survive until the pupal stage...
- Mavrakis M, Azou Gros Y, Tsai F, Alvarado J, Bertin A, Iv F, et al. Septins promote F-actin ring formation by crosslinking actin filaments into curved bundles. Nat Cell Biol. 2014;16:322-34 pubmed publisher..show that septins alone bundle actin filaments into rings, accounting for the defects in actin ring formation in septin mutants...
- Field C, al Awar O, Rosenblatt J, Wong M, Alberts B, Mitchison T. A purified Drosophila septin complex forms filaments and exhibits GTPase activity. J Cell Biol. 1996;133:605-16 pubmedb>Septin proteins are necessary for cytokinesis in budding yeast and Drosophila and are thought to be the subunits of the yeast neck filaments...
- Kechad A, Jananji S, Ruella Y, Hickson G. Anillin acts as a bifunctional linker coordinating midbody ring biogenesis during cytokinesis. Curr Biol. 2012;22:197-203 pubmed publisher..Conversely, Anillin C termini failed to connect with the CR or MR but recruited the septin Peanut to ectopic structures at the equatorial cortex...
- Carmena M, Riparbelli M, Minestrini G, Tavares A, Adams R, Callaini G, et al. Drosophila polo kinase is required for cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:659-71 pubmed..failure to correctly localize the Pavarotti kinesin- like protein that functions in cytokinesis, and of the septin Peanut and of actin to be incorporated into a contractile ring...
- Sisson J, Field C, Ventura R, Royou A, Sullivan W. Lava lamp, a novel peripheral golgi protein, is required for Drosophila melanogaster cellularization. J Cell Biol. 2000;151:905-18 pubmed..Our results are consistent with the idea that animal cell cytokinesis depends on both actomyosin-based contraction and Golgi-derived membrane secretion. ..
- Somma M, Fasulo B, Cenci G, Cundari E, Gatti M. Molecular dissection of cytokinesis by RNA interference in Drosophila cultured cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2002;13:2448-60 pubmed
- Rothwell W, Zhang C, Zelano C, Hsieh T, Sullivan W. The Drosophila centrosomal protein Nuf is required for recruiting Dah, a membrane associated protein, to furrows in the early embryo. J Cell Sci. 1999;112 ( Pt 17):2885-93 pubmed..Recruitment of actin, anillin and peanut to the furrows occurs normally in dah-derived embryos...
- Eggert U, Kiger A, Richter C, Perlman Z, Perrimon N, Mitchison T, et al. Parallel chemical genetic and genome-wide RNAi screens identify cytokinesis inhibitors and targets. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:e379 pubmed..Our study shows that parallel RNA interference and small molecule screening is a generally useful approach to identifying active small molecules and their target pathways...
- Prokopenko S, Brumby A, O KEEFE L, Prior L, He Y, Saint R, et al. A putative exchange factor for Rho1 GTPase is required for initiation of cytokinesis in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2301-14 pubmed..Our results identify Pbl as a RhoGEF specifically required for cytokinesis and linked through Rho1 activity to the reorganization of the actin cytoskeleton at the cleavage furrow. ..
- Hickson G, O Farrell P. Rho-dependent control of anillin behavior during cytokinesis. J Cell Biol. 2008;180:285-94 pubmed publisher..We propose that such interactions occur dynamically and transiently to promote furrow stability. ..
- Chesnokov I, Chesnokova O, Botchan M. A cytokinetic function of Drosophila ORC6 protein resides in a domain distinct from its replication activity. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9150-5 pubmed..A two-hybrid screen revealed that Orc6 interacts with the Drosophila peanut (pnut), a member of the septin family of proteins important for cell division...
- Field C, Coughlin M, Doberstein S, Marty T, Sullivan W. Characterization of anillin mutants reveals essential roles in septin localization and plasma membrane integrity. Development. 2005;132:2849-60 pubmed..Mutations that result in amino acid changes in the C-terminal PH domain of Anillin cause defects in septin recruitment to the furrow canal and contractile ring...
- D Avino P, Takeda T, Capalbo L, Zhang W, Lilley K, Laue E, et al. Interaction between Anillin and RacGAP50C connects the actomyosin contractile ring with spindle microtubules at the cell division site. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1151-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, in addition to its role in activating RhoA signalling, RacGAP50C also controls the proper assembly of the actomyosin ring by interacting with Anillin at the cleavage furrow. ..
- Neufeld T, Rubin G. The Drosophila peanut gene is required for cytokinesis and encodes a protein similar to yeast putative bud neck filament proteins. Cell. 1994;77:371-9 pubmedWe have identified a Drosophila gene, peanut (pnut), that is related in sequence to the CDC3, CDC10, CDC11, and CDC12 genes of S. cerevisiae...
- Goldbach P, Wong R, Beise N, Sarpal R, Trimble W, Brill J. Stabilization of the actomyosin ring enables spermatocyte cytokinesis in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:1482-93 pubmed publisher..Our results show that the anillin-septin and cadherin-catenin complexes can serve as alternative cassettes to promote tight physical coupling of F-actin ..
- Founounou N, Loyer N, Le Borgne R. Septins regulate the contractility of the actomyosin ring to enable adherens junction remodeling during cytokinesis of epithelial cells. Dev Cell. 2013;24:242-55 pubmed publisher..By modulating the strength of tension induced by neighbors, we uncover a mechanical function for septins to overcome the extrinsic tension induced by neighboring interphasic cells. ..
- Sokac A, Wieschaus E. Local actin-dependent endocytosis is zygotically controlled to initiate Drosophila cellularization. Dev Cell. 2008;14:775-86 pubmed publisher..We propose that developmentally regulated endocytosis can coordinate actin/PM remodeling to directly drive furrow dynamics during morphogenesis. ..
- Lee D, Harris T. An Arf-GEF regulates antagonism between endocytosis and the cytoskeleton for Drosophila blastoderm development. Curr Biol. 2013;23:2110-20 pubmed publisher..Endocytosis also regulates the PM and can be promoted or inhibited by cytoskeletal networks. However, endocytic regulation of the general membrane cytoskeleton is undocumented...
- O Neill R, Clark D. Partial Functional Diversification of Drosophila melanogaster Septin Genes Sep2 and Sep5. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:1947-57 pubmed publisherThe septin family of hetero-oligomeric complex-forming proteins can be divided into subgroups, and subgroup members are interchangeable at specific positions in the septin complex...
- Shih H, Hales K, Pringle J, Peifer M. Identification of septin-interacting proteins and characterization of the Smt3/SUMO-conjugation system in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:1259-71 pubmed..In a two-hybrid screen designed to identify septin-interacting proteins in Drosophila, we isolated several genes, including homologues (Dmuba2 and Dmubc9) of yeast ..
- Oegema K, Desai A, Wong M, Mitchison T, Field C. Purification and assay of a septin complex from Drosophila embryos. Methods Enzymol. 1998;298:279-95 pubmed
- Guillot C, Lecuit T. Adhesion disengagement uncouples intrinsic and extrinsic forces to drive cytokinesis in epithelial tissues. Dev Cell. 2013;24:227-41 pubmed publisher..Ring contraction but not its polarized constriction is controlled by septin filaments and Anillin...
- Castoreno A, Smurnyy Y, Torres A, Vokes M, Jones T, Carpenter A, et al. Small molecules discovered in a pathway screen target the Rho pathway in cytokinesis. Nat Chem Biol. 2010;6:457-63 pubmed publisher..Rhodblocks differentially perturb Rho pathway proteins in cells and can be used to dissect the mechanism of the Rho pathway during cytokinesis. ..
- Francis R, McGrath G, Zhang J, Ruddy D, Sym M, Apfeld J, et al. aph-1 and pen-2 are required for Notch pathway signaling, gamma-secretase cleavage of betaAPP, and presenilin protein accumulation. Dev Cell. 2002;3:85-97 pubmed..aph-1 and pen-2, like nicastrin, are required for the activity and accumulation of gamma-secretase. ..
- Akhmetova K, Balasov M, Huijbregts R, Chesnokov I. Functional insight into the role of Orc6 in septin complex filament formation in Drosophila. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:15-28 pubmed publisher..We reconstituted a recombinant Drosophila septin complex and compared activities of the wild-type and several mutant septin complex variants both in vitro and in ..
- Robinson D, Cooley L. Stable intercellular bridges in development: the cytoskeleton lining the tunnel. Trends Cell Biol. 1996;6:474-9 pubmed
- Gonzalez C, Tavosanis G, Mollinari C. Centrosomes and microtubule organisation during Drosophila development. J Cell Sci. 1998;111 ( Pt 18):2697-706 pubmed..In this review we present some of the many examples which illustrate how centrosomes and microtubule organisation changes through development in Drosophila and discuss some of its implications. ..
- Barbash D, Cline T. Genetic and molecular analysis of the autosomal component of the primary sex determination signal of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;141:1451-71 pubmed
- Kramerova I, Kramerov A. Mucinoprotein is a universal constituent of stable intercellular bridges in Drosophila melanogaster germ line and somatic cells. Dev Dyn. 1999;216:349-60 pubmed
- Wilson P. BimC motor protein KLP61F cycles between mitotic spindles and fusomes in Drosophila germ cells. Curr Biol. 1999;9:923-6 pubmed..Cytological analyses with antibodies against phosphorylated Eg5 peptide  suggest that cycling of KLP61F might reflect phosphorylation. ..
- El Amine N, Kechad A, Jananji S, Hickson G. Opposing actions of septins and Sticky on Anillin promote the transition from contractile to midbody ring. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:487-504 pubmed publisher..The septin cytoskeleton acts on the C terminus of Anillin to locally trim away excess membrane from the late CR/nascent MR ..
- Muñoz Soriano V, Paricio N. Overexpression of Septin 4, the Drosophila homologue of human CDCrel-1, is toxic for dopaminergic neurons. Eur J Neurosci. 2007;26:3150-8 pubmed..Here we characterized the septin 4 gene, which encodes the Drosophila orthologue of human CDCrel-1, a Parkin substrate...
- D Avino P, Savoian M, Capalbo L, Glover D. RacGAP50C is sufficient to signal cleavage furrow formation during cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:4402-8 pubmed..Thus, the GAP component of centralspindlin is both necessary and sufficient for furrow formation and ingression and astral microtubules provide a route for its delivery to the cleavage site. ..
- Rothwell W, Fogarty P, Field C, Sullivan W. Nuclear-fallout, a Drosophila protein that cycles from the cytoplasm to the centrosomes, regulates cortical microfilament organization. Development. 1998;125:1295-303 pubmed..The nuf mutation does not disrupt anillin or peanut recruitment to the metaphase furrows indicating that Nuf is not involved in the signaling of metaphase furrow ..
- McCarroll S, Murphy C, Zou S, Pletcher S, Chin C, Jan Y, et al. Comparing genomic expression patterns across species identifies shared transcriptional profile in aging. Nat Genet. 2004;36:197-204 pubmed..Using this approach to search databases of gene expression data, we found conserved transcriptional signatures in larval development, embryogenesis, gametogenesis and mRNA degradation. ..
- Bae Y, Kang S, Park K. Drosophila melanogaster Parkin ubiquitinates peanut and septin1 as an E3 ubiquitin-protein ligase. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:430-9 pubmed..melanogaster Parkin existed in ubiquitinated form in vivo. Moreover, peanut and septin1, D. melanogaster septin proteins, were also ubiquitinated by D. melanogaster Parkin...
- Menon M, Gaestel M. Sep(t)arate or not â€“ how some cells take septin-independent routes through cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:1877-86 pubmed publisher..we present recent observations that specific cell divisions can proceed in the absence of the core mammalian septin SEPT7 and its Drosophila homolog Peanut (Pnut) and that thus challenge the view that septins have an essential ..
- Schnorr J, Holdcraft R, Chevalier B, Berg C. Ras1 interacts with multiple new signaling and cytoskeletal loci in Drosophila eggshell patterning and morphogenesis. Genetics. 2001;159:609-22 pubmed..cytoskeletal components that are new to the Ras1 pathway; these are Chickadee (Profilin), Tec29, Dreadlocks, POSH, Peanut, Smt3, and MESK2, a suppressor of dominant-negative Ksr...
- Gottfried Y, Rotem A, Lotan R, Steller H, Larisch S. The mitochondrial ARTS protein promotes apoptosis through targeting XIAP. EMBO J. 2004;23:1627-35 pubmed..We found that mutations in peanut, which encodes a Drosophila homologue of ARTS, can dominantly suppress cell killing by Reaper, Hid and Grim, ..
- Akhmetova K, Dorogova C, Chesnokov I, Fedorova S. [Analysis of Phenotypic Manifestation of peanut Gene Expression Suppression by RNAi in Drosophila Oogenesis]. Genetika. 2015;51:991-9 pubmedThe peanut gene functions in Drosophila melanogaster oogenesis were studied...
- Morais de Sá E, Sunkel C. Adherens junctions determine the apical position of the midbody during follicular epithelial cell division. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:696-703 pubmed publisher..Thus, apical midbody localization is essential to maintain epithelial tissue architecture during proliferation. ..
- Chougule A, Hastert M, Thomas J. Drak Is Required for Actomyosin Organization During Drosophila Cellularization. G3 (Bethesda). 2016;6:819-28 pubmed publisher..Together, our observations suggest that Drak is the primary regulator of actomyosin dynamics during cellularization. ..
- Carthew R, Neufeld T, Rubin G. Identification of genes that interact with the sina gene in Drosophila eye development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:11689-93 pubmed..These results suggest that the products of these three genes may participate in a signaling pathway involving both Ras and Sina, possibly by functionally linking these two proteins. ..
- Field C, Oegema K, Zheng Y, Mitchison T, Walczak C. Purification of cytoskeletal proteins using peptide antibodies. Methods Enzymol. 1998;298:525-41 pubmed
- Ji Y, Rath U, Girton J, Johansen K, Johansen J. D-Hillarin, a novel W180-domain protein, affects cytokinesis through interaction with the septin family member Pnut. J Neurobiol. 2005;64:157-69 pubmed..We show that D-hil distribution overlaps extensively with that of the septin family member Pnut...
- Zheng L, Sepúlveda L, Lua R, Lichtarge O, Golding I, Sokac A. The maternal-to-zygotic transition targets actin to promote robustness during morphogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003901 pubmed publisher..Since all morphogenesis depends on cytoskeletal remodeling, both in embryos and adults, we suggest that robustness-promoting mechanisms aimed at actin could be effective at all life stages. ..
- Riparbelli M, Callaini G, Glover D, Avides M. A requirement for the Abnormal Spindle protein to organise microtubules of the central spindle for cytokinesis in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2002;115:913-22 pubmed..Upon fertilisation, Asp is also recruited to the MTOC that nucleates the sperm aster. Asp is required for growth of the microtubules of the sperm aster, which in asp mutants remains diminutive and so prevents migration of the pronuclei. ..
- Gatt M, Glover D. The Drosophila phosphatidylinositol transfer protein encoded by vibrator is essential to maintain cleavage-furrow ingression in cytokinesis. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2225-35 pubmed..We discuss these defects in relation to multiple functions of phosphoinositol lipids in regulating actin dynamics and membrane synthesis. ..
- Lee D, Harris T. Coordinating the cytoskeleton and endocytosis for regulated plasma membrane growth in the early Drosophila embryo. Bioarchitecture. 2014;4:68-74 pubmed publisher..More generally, it provides a model for understanding how cytoskeletal-endocytic cross-talk regulates the assembly of a cell. ..
- Barbosa V, Gatt M, Rebollo E, Gonzalez C, Glover D. Drosophila dd4 mutants reveal that gammaTuRC is required to maintain juxtaposed half spindles in spermatocytes. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:929-41 pubmed..We conclude that spermatocytes do not need astral microtubules nucleated by opposite poles to intersect in order to form a central spindle and a cleavage furrow. ..
- Rikhy R, Mavrakis M, Lippincott Schwartz J. Dynamin regulates metaphase furrow formation and plasma membrane compartmentalization in the syncytial Drosophila embryo. Biol Open. 2015;4:301-11 pubmed publisher..Based on these findings, we propose that cell cycle changes in dynamin orchestrate recruitment of actin regulatory machinery for PM furrow dynamics during the early mitotic cycles in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Wildonger J, Sosinsky A, Honig B, Mann R. Lozenge directly activates argos and klumpfuss to regulate programmed cell death. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1034-9 pubmed..These results provide novel insights into the control of programmed cell death (PCD) by Lz during Drosophila eye development. ..
- Bolin K, Rachmaninoff N, Moncada K, Pula K, KENNELL J, Buttitta L. miR-8 modulates cytoskeletal regulators to influence cell survival and epithelial organization in Drosophila wings. Dev Biol. 2016;412:83-98 pubmed publisher..Altogether our results suggest that very low as well as very high levels of miR-8 can contribute to hallmarks associated with cancer, suggesting approaches to increase miR-200 microRNAs in cancer treatment should be moderate. ..
- Prigent C, Glover D, Giet R. Drosophila Nek2 protein kinase knockdown leads to centrosome maturation defects while overexpression causes centrosome fragmentation and cytokinesis failure. Exp Cell Res. 2005;303:1-13 pubmed..We discuss potential roles for DmNek2 in maintaining centrosome integrity in mitosis, during cytokinesis, and consequently for the fidelity of chromosome segregation. ..
- Eichenlaub T, Cohen S, Herranz H. Cell Competition Drives the Formation of Metastatic Tumors in a Drosophila Model of Epithelial Tumor Formation. Curr Biol. 2016;26:419-27 pubmed publisher..miR-8 expression causes genome instability by downregulating expression of the Septin family protein Peanut. Cytokinesis failure due to downregulation of Peanut is required for tumorigenesis...