Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Plp
Description: Pericentrin-like protein
Alias: AKAP450, CG13459, CG18648, CG33957, CG6735, CP309, Cp309, D-PLP, DPLP, Dmel\CG33957, Dplp, PACT, PLP, cp309, d-plp, dPLP, dplp, l(3)s2172, pPlp, plp, Pericentrin-like protein, CG33957-PC, CG33957-PD, CG33957-PF, CG33957-PG, CG33957-PH, CG33957-PJ, CG33957-PK, CG33957-PL, CG33957-PM, CG33957-PN, CG33957-PO, CG33957-PP, Plp-PC, Plp-PD, Plp-PF, Plp-PG, Plp-PH, Plp-PJ, Plp-PK, Plp-PL, Plp-PM, Plp-PN, Plp-PO, Plp-PP, cp309, drosophila pericentrin like protein, lethal (3) s2172, pericentrin, pericentrin-like, pericentrin-like protein, pericentrin-like-protein, pericentrin/AKAP450 centrosomal targeting
Species: fruit fly
- Bettencourt Dias M, Rodrigues Martins A, Carpenter L, Riparbelli M, Lehmann L, Gatt M, et al. SAK/PLK4 is required for centriole duplication and flagella development. Curr Biol. 2005;15:2199-207 pubmed..Drosophila cells tolerate the lack of centrioles and undertake mitosis but cannot form basal bodies and hence flagella. Human cells depleted of SAK show error-prone mitosis, likely to underlie its tumor-suppressor role. ..
- Rebollo E, Llamazares S, Reina J, Gonzalez C. Contribution of noncentrosomal microtubules to spindle assembly in Drosophila spermatocytes. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E8 pubmed..These observations are consistent with a model in which centrosomal and noncentrosomal microtubules contribute to the assembly and are required for the robustness of the cell division spindle in cells that contain centrosomes. ..
- Riparbelli M, Callaini G, Megraw T. Assembly and persistence of primary cilia in dividing Drosophila spermatocytes. Dev Cell. 2012;23:425-32 pubmed publisher..These findings challenge the prevailing view that cilia antagonize cell-cycle progression and raise the possibility that cilium retention at cell division may occur in diverse organisms and cell types...
- Varmark H, Llamazares S, Rebollo E, Lange B, Reina J, Schwarz H, et al. Asterless is a centriolar protein required for centrosome function and embryo development in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1735-45 pubmed..In addition, the phenotype of asl-deficient flies reveals that a functional centrosome is required for Drosophila embryo development. ..
- Mottier Pavie V, Megraw T. Drosophila bld10 is a centriolar protein that regulates centriole, basal body, and motile cilium assembly. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2605-14 pubmed publisher..These results show that Drosophila Bld10 is required for centriole and axoneme assembly to confer cilium motility. ..
- Rogers G, Rusan N, Peifer M, Rogers S. A multicomponent assembly pathway contributes to the formation of acentrosomal microtubule arrays in interphase Drosophila cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:3163-78 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results modify our view of the cycle of centrosome function and reveal a multi-component acentrosomal microtubule assembly pathway to establish interphase microtubule arrays in Drosophila. ..
- Texada M, Simonette R, Johnson C, Deery W, Beckingham K. Yuri gagarin is required for actin, tubulin and basal body functions in Drosophila spermatogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1926-36 pubmed publisher..The structure of the axonemes that grow out from the basal bodies is affected in the yuri mutant, suggesting a possible role for the CA in axoneme formation. ..
- Spradling A, Zheng Y. Developmental biology. The mother of all stem cells?. Science. 2007;315:469-70 pubmed
- Conduit P, Raff J. Cnn dynamics drive centrosome size asymmetry to ensure daughter centriole retention in Drosophila neuroblasts. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2187-92 pubmed publisher..This ensures that the daughter centriole maintains its PCM and so its position at the apical cortex. Thus, the daughter centriole, rather than an "immortal" mother centriole, is ultimately retained in these stem cells. ..
- Basto R, Lau J, Vinogradova T, Gardiol A, Woods C, Khodjakov A, et al. Flies without centrioles. Cell. 2006;125:1375-86 pubmed..Thus, centrioles are essential for the formation of centrosomes, cilia, and flagella, but, remarkably, they are not essential for most aspects of Drosophila development. ..
- Martinez Campos M, Basto R, Baker J, Kernan M, Raff J. The Drosophila pericentrin-like protein is essential for cilia/flagella function, but appears to be dispensable for mitosis. J Cell Biol. 2004;165:673-83 pubmed..Proteins that contain a Pericentrin/AKAP450 centrosomal targeting (PACT) domain have been implicated in recruiting several proteins to the PCM...
- Januschke J, Llamazares S, Reina J, Gonzalez C. Drosophila neuroblasts retain the daughter centrosome. Nat Commun. 2011;2:243 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate maturation-dependent centrosome fate in Drosophila NBs and that the stemness properties of these cells are not linked to mother centrosome inheritance. ..
- Giansanti M, Bucciarelli E, Bonaccorsi S, Gatti M. Drosophila SPD-2 is an essential centriole component required for PCM recruitment and astral-microtubule nucleation. Curr Biol. 2008;18:303-9 pubmed publisher..localization at the centrosome requires the wild-type activity of Asl but is independent of the function of D-PLP, Cnn, gamma-tubulin, DGrip91, and D-TACC...
- Sabino D, Brown N, Basto R. Drosophila Ajuba is not an Aurora-A activator but is required to maintain Aurora-A at the centrosome. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1156-66 pubmed publisher..On the basis of our studies in Drosophila neuroblasts, we propose that a key function of Ajuba, in these cells, is to maintain active Aur-A at the centrosome during mitosis. ..
- Rodrigues Martins A, Riparbelli M, Callaini G, Glover D, Bettencourt Dias M. Revisiting the role of the mother centriole in centriole biogenesis. Science. 2007;316:1046-50 pubmed..The mother centriole is not a bona fide template but a platform for a set of regulatory molecules that catalyzes and regulates daughter centriole assembly...
- Lerit D, Rusan N. PLP inhibits the activity of interphase centrosomes to ensure their proper segregation in stem cells. J Cell Biol. 2013;202:1013-22 pubmed publisher..This asymmetry produces one active and one inactive centrosome during interphase. We identify pericentrin-like protein (PLP) as a negative regulator of centrosome maturation and activity...
- Stevens N, Dobbelaere J, Brunk K, Franz A, Raff J. Drosophila Ana2 is a conserved centriole duplication factor. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:313-23 pubmed publisher..We propose that members of the SAS-5/Ana2/STIL family of proteins are key conserved components of the centriole duplication machinery. ..
- Fu J, Glover D. Structured illumination of the interface between centriole and peri-centriolar material. Open Biol. 2012;2:120104 pubmed publisher..an inner layer occupied by centriolar microtubules, Sas-4, Spd-2 and Polo kinase; and an outer layer comprising Pericentrin-like protein (Dplp), Asterless (Asl) and Plk4 kinase...
- Blachon S, Gopalakrishnan J, Omori Y, Polyanovsky A, Church A, Nicastro D, et al. Drosophila asterless and vertebrate Cep152 Are orthologs essential for centriole duplication. Genetics. 2008;180:2081-94 pubmed publisher..The clear absence of several centriolar markers in mecD mutants suggests that Asl is critical early in centriole duplication...
- Riparbelli M, Callaini G. Male gametogenesis without centrioles. Dev Biol. 2011;349:427-39 pubmed publisher..Spindle formation during germ cell mitosis may be successfully supported by an acentrosomal pathway that is inadequate to warrant the proper execution of meiosis...
- Roque H, Wainman A, Richens J, Kozyrska K, Franz A, Raff J. Drosophila Cep135/Bld10 maintains proper centriole structure but is dispensable for cartwheel formation. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5881-6 pubmed publisher..we show that Cep135/Bld10 is localized to a region between inner (SAS-6, Ana2) and outer (Asl, DSpd-2 and D-PLP) centriolar components, and the localization of all these component is subtly perturbed in the absence of Cep135/..
- Enjolras C, Thomas J, Chhin B, Cortier E, Duteyrat J, Soulavie F, et al. Drosophila chibby is required for basal body formation and ciliogenesis but not for Wg signaling. J Cell Biol. 2012;197:313-25 pubmed publisher..The function of CBY in WNT signaling in vertebrates has either been acquired during vertebrate evolution or lost in Drosophila. ..
- Przewloka M, Venkei Z, Bolanos Garcia V, Debski J, Dadlez M, Glover D. CENP-C is a structural platform for kinetochore assembly. Curr Biol. 2011;21:399-405 pubmed publisher..Thus, the N-terminal part of Drosophila CENP-C is sufficient to recruit core kinetochore components and acts as the principal linkage between centromere and kinetochore during mitosis. ..
- Cachero S, Simpson T, zur Lage P, Ma L, Newton F, Holohan E, et al. The gene regulatory cascade linking proneural specification with differentiation in Drosophila sensory neurons. PLoS Biol. 2011;9:e1000568 pubmed publisher..In addition, it provides a paradigm for how transcriptional regulation may modulate the ciliogenesis pathway to give rise to structurally and functionally specialised ciliary dendrites. ..
- Stevens N, Dobbelaere J, Wainman A, Gergely F, Raff J. Ana3 is a conserved protein required for the structural integrity of centrioles and basal bodies. J Cell Biol. 2009;187:355-63 pubmed publisher..Thus, Ana3 defines a conserved family of centriolar proteins and plays an important part in ensuring the structural integrity of centrioles and basal bodies. ..
- Gopalakrishnan J, Mennella V, Blachon S, Zhai B, Smith A, Megraw T, et al. Sas-4 provides a scaffold for cytoplasmic complexes and tethers them in a centrosome. Nat Commun. 2011;2:359 pubmed publisher..study, we show that Sas-4 provides a scaffold for cytoplasmic complexes (named S-CAP), which include CNN, Asl and D-PLP, proteins that are all found in the centrosomes at the vicinity of the centriole...
- Wei H, Rollins J, Fabian L, Hayes M, Polevoy G, Bazinet C, et al. Depletion of plasma membrane PtdIns(4,5)P2 reveals essential roles for phosphoinositides in flagellar biogenesis. J Cell Sci. 2008;121:1076-84 pubmed publisher..They further suggest that phosphoinositides play evolutionarily conserved roles in flagella and cilia, across phyla and in structurally diverse cell types. ..
- Gillingham A, Munro S. The PACT domain, a conserved centrosomal targeting motif in the coiled-coil proteins AKAP450 and pericentrin. EMBO Rep. 2000;1:524-9 pubmedAKAP450 (also known as AKAP350, CG-NAP or Hyperion) and pericentrin are large coiled-coil proteins found in mammalian centrosomes that serve to recruit structural and regulatory components including dynein and protein kinase A...
- Dix C, Raff J. Drosophila Spd-2 recruits PCM to the sperm centriole, but is dispensable for centriole duplication. Curr Biol. 2007;17:1759-64 pubmed..We speculate that the SPD-2 family of proteins might only be absolutely essential for the recruitment of centriole duplication factors and PCM to the centriole(s) that enter the egg with the fertilizing sperm...
- Ma L, Jarman A. Dilatory is a Drosophila protein related to AZI1 (CEP131) that is located at the ciliary base and required for cilium formation. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2622-30 pubmed publisher..These data implicate DILA in regulating intraflagellar transport at the base of sensory cilia. ..
- Castellanos E, Dominguez P, Gonzalez C. Centrosome dysfunction in Drosophila neural stem cells causes tumors that are not due to genome instability. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1209-14 pubmed publisher..We propose that such tumors might be caused by impaired asymmetric division of neural stem cells . These results show that centrosome loss, far from being innocuous, is a potentially dangerous condition in flies...
- Blachon S, Cai X, Roberts K, Yang K, Polyanovsky A, Church A, et al. A proximal centriole-like structure is present in Drosophila spermatids and can serve as a model to study centriole duplication. Genetics. 2009;182:133-44 pubmed publisher..We propose that, during the evolution of insects, the proximal centriole was simplified by eliminating the later steps in centriole assembly. The PCL may provide a unique model to study early steps of centriole formation. ..
- Januschke J, Reina J, Llamazares S, Bertran T, Rossi F, Roig J, et al. Centrobin controls mother-daughter centriole asymmetry in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nat Cell Biol. 2013;15:241-8 pubmed publisher..They also reveal an interphase function for POLO in this process that seems to have co-opted part of the protein network involved in mitotic centrosome maturation. ..
- Rogers G, Rusan N, Roberts D, Peifer M, Rogers S. The SCF Slimb ubiquitin ligase regulates Plk4/Sak levels to block centriole reduplication. J Cell Biol. 2009;184:225-39 pubmed publisher..Using a Plk4 Slimb-binding mutant and Slimb RNAi, we show that Slimb regulates Plk4 localization to centrioles during interphase, thus regulating centriole number and ensuring the block to centriole reduplication. ..
- Moutinho Pereira S, Debec A, Maiato H. Microtubule cytoskeleton remodeling by acentriolar microtubule-organizing centers at the entry and exit from mitosis in Drosophila somatic cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2796-808 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a new form of cell cycle-regulated MTOCs that contribute for MT cytoskeleton remodeling during mitotic spindle assembly/disassembly in animal somatic cells, independently of centrioles. ..
- Minakhina S, Druzhinina M, Steward R. Zfrp8, the Drosophila ortholog of PDCD2, functions in lymph gland development and controls cell proliferation. Development. 2007;134:2387-96 pubmed..The overproliferation of cells in the lymph gland results in abnormal hemocyte differentiation. ..
- Conduit P, Richens J, Wainman A, Holder J, Vicente C, Pratt M, et al. A molecular mechanism of mitotic centrosome assembly in Drosophila. elife. 2014;3:e03399 pubmed publisher..These observations suggest a surprisingly simple mechanism of mitotic PCM assembly in flies. ..
- Ahmad S, Tansey T, Busser B, Nolte M, Jeffries N, Gisselbrecht S, et al. Two forkhead transcription factors regulate the division of cardiac progenitor cells by a Polo-dependent pathway. Dev Cell. 2012;23:97-111 pubmed publisher..This pathway demonstrates how transcription factors integrate diverse developmental processes during organogenesis. ..
- Ramdas Nair A, Singh P, Salvador Garcia D, Rodriguez Crespo D, Egger B, Cabernard C. The Microcephaly-Associated Protein Wdr62/CG7337 Is Required to Maintain Centrosome Asymmetry in Drosophila Neuroblasts. Cell Rep. 2016;14:1100-1113 pubmed publisher..are necessary for sustained recruitment of Polo/Plk1 to the pericentriolar matrix (PCM) and downregulation of Pericentrin-like protein (Plp)...
- Galletta B, Jacobs K, Fagerstrom C, Rusan N. Asterless is required for centriole length control and sperm development. J Cell Biol. 2016;213:435-50 pubmed publisher..Insights into the role of Asl/Cep152 beyond centriole duplication could help shed light on how Cep152 mutations lead to the development of microcephaly. ..
- Singh P, Ramdas Nair A, Cabernard C. The centriolar protein Bld10/Cep135 is required to establish centrosome asymmetry in Drosophila neuroblasts. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1548-55 pubmed publisher..How PCM downregulation is molecularly controlled is currently unknown, but it involves Pericentrin (PCNT)-like protein (PLP) to prevent premature Polo localization and thus MTOC activity ...
- Ori McKenney K, Jan L, Jan Y. Golgi outposts shape dendrite morphology by functioning as sites of acentrosomal microtubule nucleation in neurons. Neuron. 2012;76:921-30 pubmed publisher..This acentrosomal nucleation requires gamma-tubulin and CP309, the Drosophila homolog of AKAP450, and contributes to the complex microtubule organization within the arbor and dendrite branch growth and ..
- Lewandowski J, Sheehan K, Bennett P, Boswell R. Mago Nashi, Tsunagi/Y14, and Ranshi form a complex that influences oocyte differentiation in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2010;339:307-19 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Ranshi interacts with the exon junction complex to localize components essential for oocyte differentiation within the posterior pole of the presumptive oocyte. ..
- Jankovics F, Brunner D. Transiently reorganized microtubules are essential for zippering during dorsal closure in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Cell. 2006;11:375-85 pubmed..We provide a clearly defined example where cells of a developing organism transiently reorganize their microtubules to fulfill a specialized morphogenetic task. ..
- Parma D, Bennett P, Boswell R. Mago Nashi and Tsunagi/Y14, respectively, regulate Drosophila germline stem cell differentiation and oocyte specification. Dev Biol. 2007;308:507-19 pubmed..On the other hand, Tsunagi/Y14 is essential for restricting oocyte fate to a single cell and may function with mago nashi in this process. ..
- Martins A, Machado P, Callaini G, Bettencourt Dias M. Microscopy methods for the study of centriole biogenesis and function in Drosophila. Methods Cell Biol. 2010;97:223-42 pubmed publisher..These methods have been widely used to study centriole assembly and its function as a centrosome organizer during mitotic and meiotic cell divisions and as an axoneme nucleator in the formation of flagella...
- Franz A, Roque H, Saurya S, Dobbelaere J, Raff J. CP110 exhibits novel regulatory activities during centriole assembly in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2013;203:785-99 pubmed publisher..Finally, and unexpectedly, CP110 suppresses centriole overduplication induced by the overexpression of centriole duplication proteins. These studies identify novel and surprising functions for CP110 in vivo in flies. ..
- Venkei Z, Przewloka M, Ladak Y, Albadri S, Sossick A, Juhasz G, et al. Spatiotemporal dynamics of Spc105 regulates the assembly of the Drosophila kinetochore. Open Biol. 2012;2:110032 pubmed publisher..Our study thus indicates that physical accessibility of kinetochore components plays a crucial role in the regulation of Drosophila kinetochore assembly and leads us to a model in which Spc105 is a licensing factor for its onset. ..
- Martins T, Maia A, Steffensen S, Sunkel C. Sgt1, a co-chaperone of Hsp90 stabilizes Polo and is required for centrosome organization. EMBO J. 2009;28:234-47 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these findings suggest that Sgt1 is involved in the stabilization of Polo allowing normal centrosome maturation, entry and progression though mitosis. ..
- Chen J, Kao L, Jana S, Sivan Loukianova E, MendonÃ§a S, Cabrera O, et al. Rootletin organizes the ciliary rootlet to achieve neuron sensory function in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2015;211:435-53 pubmed publisher..Ectopically expressed Root resides at the base of mother centrioles in spermatocytes and localizes asymmetrically to mother centrosomes in neuroblasts, both requiring Bld10, a basal body protein with varied functions. ..
- Mirouse V, Formstecher E, Couderc J. Interaction between Polo and BicD proteins links oocyte determination and meiosis control in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4005-13 pubmed..Taken together, our data indicate the existence of a positive feedback loop between BicD and Polo, and we propose that this loop represents a functional link between oocyte specification and the control of meiosis. ..
- Wojcik C, Yano M, Demartino G. RNA interference of valosin-containing protein (VCP/p97) reveals multiple cellular roles linked to ubiquitin/proteasome-dependent proteolysis. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:281-92 pubmed..These results indicate that VCP plays an important general role in mediating the function of the UPS, probably by interacting with potential proteasome substrates before they are degraded by the proteasome. ..
- Ueishi S, Shimizu H, H Inoue Y. Male germline stem cell division and spermatocyte growth require insulin signaling in Drosophila. Cell Struct Funct. 2009;34:61-9 pubmed
- Leibfried A, Muller S, Ephrussi A. A Cdc42-regulated actin cytoskeleton mediates Drosophila oocyte polarization. Development. 2013;140:362-71 pubmed publisher..This most likely allows for the robustness in symmetry breaking in the cell. ..
- Guha A, Lin L, Kornberg T. Organ renewal and cell divisions by differentiated cells in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:10832-6 pubmed publisher..We report here that they reinitiate cell divisions during the third instar (L3) to increase the Tr2 population by approximately 10-fold with multipotent cells. ..
- Richens J, Barros T, Lucas E, Peel N, Pinto D, Wainman A, et al. The Drosophila Pericentrin-like-protein (PLP) cooperates with Cnn to maintain the integrity of the outer PCM. Biol Open. 2015;4:1052-61 pubmed publisher..In vertebrate cells, Pericentrin plays an important part in mitotic PCM assembly, but the Drosophila Pericentrin-like protein (PLP) appears to ..
- Sitaram P, Anderson M, Jodoin J, Lee E, Lee L. Regulation of dynein localization and centrosome positioning by Lis-1 and asunder during Drosophila spermatogenesis. Development. 2012;139:2945-54 pubmed publisher..We present a model in which Lis-1 and asun cooperate to regulate dynein localization and centrosome positioning during Drosophila spermatogenesis...
- Yadlapalli S, Cheng J, Yamashita Y. Drosophila male germline stem cells do not asymmetrically segregate chromosome strands. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:933-9 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that asymmetric centrosome segregation in stem cells does not necessarily lead to asymmetric chromosome strand segregation. ..
- Galletta B, Guillen R, Fagerstrom C, Brownlee C, Lerit D, Megraw T, et al. Drosophila pericentrin requires interaction with calmodulin for its function at centrosomes and neuronal basal bodies but not at sperm basal bodies. Mol Biol Cell. 2014;25:2682-94 pubmed publisherb>Pericentrin is a critical centrosomal protein required for organizing pericentriolar material (PCM) in mitosis...
- Blachon S, Khire A, Avidor Reiss T. The origin of the second centriole in the zygote of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2014;197:199-205 pubmed publisher..These observations demonstrate that the PCL is the origin for the second centriole in the Drosophila zygote and that a paternal centriole precursor, without centriolar proteins, is transmitted to the egg during fertilization. ..
- Mendes Maia T, Gogendeau D, Pennetier C, Janke C, Basto R. Bug22 influences cilium morphology and the post-translational modification of ciliary microtubules. Biol Open. 2014;3:138-51 pubmed publisher..Our work identifies Bug22 as a protein that plays a conserved role in the regulation of PTMs of the ciliary axoneme. ..
- Cheng J, Turkel N, Hemati N, Fuller M, Hunt A, Yamashita Y. Centrosome misorientation reduces stem cell division during ageing. Nature. 2008;456:599-604 pubmed publisher..We also show that some of the misoriented GSCs probably originate from dedifferentiation of spermatogonia. ..
- Gottardo M, Callaini G, Riparbelli M. Klp10A modulates the localization of centriole-associated proteins during Drosophila male gametogenesis. Cell Cycle. 2016;15:3432-3441 pubmed publisher..In the absence of Klp10A the distribution of Drosophila pericentrin-like protein (Dplp), Sas-4 and Sak/Plk4 that are restricted in control testes to the proximal end of the ..