Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pim
Alias: CG5052, Dmel\CG5052, PIM, Pim, frag2, l(2)31Df, pimples, CG5052-PA, CG5052-PB, PIMPLES, fragmented gonads 2, pim-PA, pim-PB, securin
Species: fruit fly
- Unhavaithaya Y, Park E, Royzman I, Orr Weaver T. Drosophila embryonic cell-cycle mutants. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1875-80 pubmed publisher..Other mutations affecting the centromere protein CAL1 and the kinetochore protein Spc105R caused mitotic defects in the nervous system. ..
- Weyers J, Milutinovich A, Takeda Y, Jemc J, Van Doren M. A genetic screen for mutations affecting gonad formation in Drosophila reveals a role for the slit/robo pathway. Dev Biol. 2011;353:217-28 pubmed publisher..Our findings shed light on the complexities of gonadogenesis and the genetic regulation required for proper organ formation. ..
- Koizumi K, Higashida H, Yoo S, Islam M, Ivanov A, Guo V, et al. RNA interference screen to identify genes required for Drosophila embryonic nervous system development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:5626-31 pubmed..The total number of dsRNAs that we have tested for an RNAi-induced phenotype affecting the embryonic nervous system, including our previous study, is 7,312, which corresponds to approximately 50% of the genes in the Drosophila genome. ..
- J ger H, Herzig B, Herzig A, Sticht H, Lehner C, Heidmann S. Structure predictions and interaction studies indicate homology of separase N-terminal regulatory domains and Drosophila THR. Cell Cycle. 2004;3:182-8 pubmed..Moreover, sequence similarity among securin proteins, which associate as regulatory subunits with separase, is restricted to the signals that promote the ..
- Allshire R. Centromeres, checkpoints and chromatid cohesion. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1997;7:264-73 pubmed..Phenotypic and localization data combined with their pattern of rapid degradation at anaphase have implicated several yeast and Drosophila proteins in aspects of sister chromatid cohesion. ..
- Choo K. Domain organization at the centromere and neocentromere. Dev Cell. 2001;1:165-77 pubmed..Studies in different organisms point to a model of conserved pattern of organization for these domains. ..
- Tin Su T. Cell cycle: how, when and why cells get rid of cyclin A. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R467-9 pubmed
- Clegg N, Whitehead I, Brock J, Sinclair D, Mottus R, Stromotich G, et al. A cytogenetic analysis of chromosomal region 31 of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1993;134:221-30 pubmed..In addition, the cytological position of several mutations that interact with heterochromatin were more precisely defined. ..
- van Heemst D, Heyting C. Sister chromatid cohesion and recombination in meiosis. Chromosoma. 2000;109:10-26 pubmed..In meiosis, cohesion and recombination are modified in such a way that reciprocal exchange and reductional segregation of homologous chromosomes are ensured. ..
- Li D, Morley G, Whitaker M, Huang J. Recruitment of Cdc20 to the kinetochore requires BubR1 but not Mad2 in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:3384-95 pubmed publisher..The SAC prevents metaphase/anaphase transition by blocking the ubiquitylation and destruction of cyclin B and securin via the Cdc20-activated anaphase-promoting complex or cyclosome (APC/C)-mediated proteolysis pathway...
- Guo Z, Batiha O, Bourouh M, Fifield E, Swan A. Role of Securin, Separase and Cohesins in female meiosis and polar body formation in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2016;129:531-42 pubmed publisher..Rec8, and the absence of a known Separase target raises the question of whether Separase and its regulator Securin (Pim in Drosophila) are important in Drosophila meiosis...
- Ji J, Crest J, Schubiger G. Genetic interactions between Cdk1-CyclinB and the Separase complex in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:1875-84 pubmed..Here, we report that mutations in the gene three rows (thr) enhance, while mutations in pimples (pim, encoding Drosophila Securin) or separase (Sse) suppress, the sensitized phenotype...
- Philip A. Mitotic sister-chromatid separation: what Drosophila mutants can tell us. Trends Cell Biol. 1998;8:150 pubmed
- Blattner A, Chaurasia S, McKee B, Lehner C. Separase Is Required for Homolog and Sister Disjunction during Drosophila melanogaster Male Meiosis, but Not for Biorientation of Sister Centromeres. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1005996 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, these univalents become bioriented during meiosis II, suggesting that sister centromere individualization before meiosis II does not require separase. ..
- Oliveira R, Hamilton R, Pauli A, Davis I, Nasmyth K. Cohesin cleavage and Cdk inhibition trigger formation of daughter nuclei. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:185-92 pubmed publisher..We conclude that only two key events, opening of cohesin rings and downregulation of Cdk1, are sufficient to drive proper segregation of chromosomes in anaphase. ..
- Biggins S, Murray A. Sister chromatid cohesion in mitosis. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:230-6 pubmed..Proteins that induce and regulate the separation of sister chromatids have also been recently identified. (This review is an updated version of one that was published in Current Opinion in Cell Biology 1998, 10:769-775.) ..
- Pesin J, Orr Weaver T. Developmental role and regulation of cortex, a meiosis-specific anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome activator. PLoS Genet. 2007;3:e202 pubmed..Our studies reveal the mechanism for developmental regulation of an APC/C activator and suggest it is one strategy for control of the female meiotic cell cycle in a multicellular organism. ..
- Philp A, Glover D. Mutations affecting chromatid separation in Drosophila: the fizzy metaphase arrest persists in pimples fizzy and fizzy three rows double mutants. Exp Cell Res. 1997;230:103-10 pubmedMutations in the Drosophila genes three rows (thr), fizzy (fzy), and pimples (pim) block chromosome segregation in mitosis. fzy mutations also block cyclin degradation and affected cells become permanently arrested in metaphase...
- Lee J, Dej K, Lopez J, Orr Weaver T. Control of centromere localization of the MEI-S332 cohesion protection protein. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1277-83 pubmed..MEI-S332 can localize independently of cohesin, assembling even onto unreplicated chromatids. However, the separase pathway that regulates cohesin dissociation is needed for MEI-S332 delocalization at anaphase. ..
- Dobie K, Hari K, Maggert K, Karpen G. Centromere proteins and chromosome inheritance: a complex affair. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:206-17 pubmed..A picture is beginning to emerge of the centromere-kinetechore as a complex and dynamic structure with conservation of function at the protein level across diverse species. ..
- Jager H, Herzig A, Lehner C, Heidmann S. Drosophila separase is required for sister chromatid separation and binds to PIM and THR. Genes Dev. 2001;15:2572-84 pubmed..However, PIM has functional similarities with securin proteins...
- Smith A, King J, Orr Weaver T. Identification of genomic regions required for DNA replication during Drosophila embryogenesis. Genetics. 1993;135:817-29 pubmed..Additionally, our analysis identified a gene, pimples, that is required for the proper completion of mitosis in the post-blastoderm divisions of the embryo.
- Herzig A, Lehner C, Heidmann S. Proteolytic cleavage of the THR subunit during anaphase limits Drosophila separase function. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2443-54 pubmed..Activation involves proteolysis of an inhibitory subunit, securin, following ubiquitination mediated by the anaphase-promoting complex/cyclosome...