Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pasha
Description: partner of drosha
Alias: CG1800, DGCR8, Dmel\CG1800, PASHA, Pasha, cg1800, dmDGCR8, partner of drosha, CG1800-PA, CG1800-PB, CG1800-PC, DiGeorge critical region 8, pasha-PA, pasha-PB, pasha-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Berdnik D, Fan A, Potter C, Luo L. MicroRNA processing pathway regulates olfactory neuron morphogenesis. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1754-9 pubmed publisher..The nuclear RNase III Drosha catalyzes the first processing step together with the dsRNA binding protein DGCR8/Pasha generating pre-miRNAs [1, 2]...
- Martin R, Smibert P, Yalcin A, Tyler D, Schäfer U, Tuschl T, et al. A Drosophila pasha mutant distinguishes the canonical microRNA and mirtron pathways. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:861-70 pubmed publisher..We generated a null allele of Drosophila pasha, which encodes a double-stranded RNA-binding protein partner of the RNase III enzyme Drosha...
- Eulalio A, Rehwinkel J, Stricker M, Huntzinger E, Yang S, Doerks T, et al. Target-specific requirements for enhancers of decapping in miRNA-mediated gene silencing. Genes Dev. 2007;21:2558-70 pubmed..In addition to proteins known to be required for miRNA biogenesis and function (i.e., Drosha, Pasha, Dicer-1, AGO1, and GW182), the screen identified the decapping activator Ge-1 as being required for silencing by ..
- Bejarano F, Smibert P, Lai E. miR-9a prevents apoptosis during wing development by repressing Drosophila LIM-only. Dev Biol. 2010;338:63-73 pubmed publisher..seen with mir-9a mutant clones were not recapitulated by clonal loss of the miRNA biogenesis factors Dicer-1 or Pasha, even though these mutant conditions similarly de-repressed miR-9a and dLMO sensor transgenes...
- Mihailovic M, Mihailovich M, Wurth L, Zambelli F, Abaza I, Militti C, et al. Widespread generation of alternative UTRs contributes to sex-specific RNA binding by UNR. RNA. 2012;18:53-64 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that UNR exploits the transcript diversity generated by alternative processing and alternative promoter usage to bind and regulate target genes in a sex-specific manner. ..
- Kadener S, Menet J, Sugino K, Horwich M, Weissbein U, Nawathean P, et al. A role for microRNAs in the Drosophila circadian clock. Genes Dev. 2009;23:2179-91 pubmed publisher..Moreover, clk transgenes harboring mutated bantam sites in their 3' UTRs rescue rhythms of clk mutant flies much less well than wild-type CLK transgenes. ..
- Sabin L, Zhou R, Gruber J, Lukinova N, Bambina S, Berman A, et al. Ars2 regulates both miRNA- and siRNA- dependent silencing and suppresses RNA virus infection in Drosophila. Cell. 2009;138:340-51 pubmed publisher..The identification of Ars2 as a player in these small RNA pathways provides new insight into the biogenesis of small RNAs that may be extended to other systems. ..
- Soares Z, GonÃ§alves A, de Oliveira K, Marques J. Viral RNA recognition by the Drosophila small interfering RNA pathway. Microbes Infect. 2014;16:1013-21 pubmed publisher..This antiviral response in fruit flies can help understand general principles of nucleic acid recognition. ..
- Carré C, Jacquier C, Bouge A, de Chaumont F, Besnard Guerin C, Thomassin H, et al. AutomiG, a biosensor to detect alterations in miRNA biogenesis and in small RNA silencing guided by perfect target complementarity. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74296 pubmed publisher..We show that self-silencing of the resulting automiG gene requires Drosha, Pasha, Dicer-1, Dicer-2 and Argonaute-2 loaded with the anti-GFP miRNAs...
- Pushpavalli S, Ramaiah M, Lavanya A, Ganesh A, Kumbhare R, Bhadra K, et al. Imidazo-benzothiazoles a potent microRNA modulator involved in cell proliferation. Bioorg Med Chem Lett. 2012;22:6418-24 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, these conjugates downregulate the genes involved in microRNA biogenesis such as Drosha, Pasha and Dicer-1. Our findings have elucidated the microRNA inhibitory role of imidazo-benzothiazole conjugates.
- Han J, Lee Y, Yeom K, Nam J, Heo I, Rhee J, et al. Molecular basis for the recognition of primary microRNAs by the Drosha-DGCR8 complex. Cell. 2006;125:887-901 pubmedThe Drosha-DGCR8 complex initiates microRNA maturation by precise cleavage of the stem loops that are embedded in primary transcripts (pri-miRNAs)...
- Flynt A, Greimann J, Chung W, Lima C, Lai E. MicroRNA biogenesis via splicing and exosome-mediated trimming in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2010;38:900-7 pubmed publisher..Analysis of cloned small RNAs yielded six additional candidate 3' tailed mirtrons in D. melanogaster. Altogether, these data reveal an unexpected role for the exosome in the biogenesis of miRNAs from hybrid mirtron substrates. ..
- Leuschner P, Obernosterer G, Martinez J. MicroRNAs: Loquacious speaks out. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R603-5 pubmed..New data show that Dicer-1 also requires a double-stranded RNA binding protein called Loquacious for efficient microRNA-mediated gene silencing. ..
- Pressman S, Reinke C, Wang X, Carthew R. A Systematic Genetic Screen to Dissect the MicroRNA Pathway in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2012;2:437-48 pubmed publisher..These include 4 previously known genes that encode core components of the miRNA pathway, including Drosha, Pasha, Dicer-1, and Ago1...
- Zhou R, Czech B, Brennecke J, Sachidanandam R, Wohlschlegel J, Perrimon N, et al. Processing of Drosophila endo-siRNAs depends on a specific Loquacious isoform. RNA. 2009;15:1886-95 pubmed publisher..nt), ubiquitously expressed small RNAs that are sequentially processed from hairpin-like precursors by Drosha/Pasha and Dcr-1/Loquacious complexes...
- Tomari Y, Zamore P. MicroRNA biogenesis: drosha can't cut it without a partner. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R61-4 pubmed
- Kolaczkowski B, Hupalo D, Kern A. Recurrent adaptation in RNA interference genes across the Drosophila phylogeny. Mol Biol Evol. 2011;28:1033-42 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a predictive model of how selective pressures generated by evolutionary arms race scenarios may affect multiple genes across protein interaction networks and other biochemical pathways. ..
- Ni J, Zhou R, Czech B, Liu L, Holderbaum L, Yang Zhou D, et al. A genome-scale shRNA resource for transgenic RNAi in Drosophila. Nat Methods. 2011;8:405-7 pubmed publisher..We show that shRNAs, modeled on an endogenous microRNA, are extremely effective at silencing gene expression during oogenesis. We also describe our progress toward building a genome-wide shRNA resource. ..
- Dueck A, Meister G. Assembly and function of small RNA - argonaute protein complexes. Biol Chem. 2014;395:611-29 pubmed publisher..This review will focus on the mechanisms of Argonaute loading in different organisms. Furthermore, we highlight the versatile functions of small RNA-Argonaute protein complexes in organisms from all three kingdoms of life. ..
- Okamura K, Balla S, Martin R, Liu N, Lai E. Two distinct mechanisms generate endogenous siRNAs from bidirectional transcription in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2008;15:581-90 pubmed publisher..These newly recognized siRNA pathways broaden the scope of regulatory networks mediated by small RNAs. ..
- Okamura K, Ladewig E, Zhou L, Lai E. Functional small RNAs are generated from select miRNA hairpin loops in flies and mammals. Genes Dev. 2013;27:778-92 pubmed publisher..Altogether, we reveal a conserved mechanism that yields functional RNAs from miRNA loop regions, broadening the repertoire of Argonaute-dependent regulatory RNAs and providing evidence for functionality of endogenous ssRNA species...
- Grice S, Liu J, Webber C. Synergistic interactions between Drosophila orthologues of genes spanned by de novo human CNVs support multiple-hit models of autism. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1004998 pubmed publisher..Our study illustrates mechanisms through which synergistic effects resulting from large structural variation can contribute to human disease. ..
- Yang H, Li M, Hu X, Xin T, Zhang S, Zhao G, et al. MicroRNA-dependent roles of Drosha and Pasha in the Drosophila larval ovary morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2016;416:312-23 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the core microRNA (miRNA) pathway components Drosha and Pasha are required for coordinated development of somatic and germ cell precursors in the larval ovary...
- Luhur A, Chawla G, Wu Y, Li J, Sokol N. Drosha-independent DGCR8/Pasha pathway regulates neuronal morphogenesis. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:1421-6 pubmed publisherCleavage of microRNAs and mRNAs by Drosha and its cofactor Pasha/DGCR8 is required for animal development, but whether these proteins also have independent roles in development has been unclear...
- Azzam G, Smibert P, Lai E, Liu J. Drosophila Argonaute 1 and its miRNA biogenesis partners are required for oocyte formation and germline cell division. Dev Biol. 2012;365:384-94 pubmed publisher..shows that many mutant egg chambers contain only 8 nurse cells without an oocyte which is phenocopied in dicer-1, pasha and drosha mutants...
- Hammond S. Dicing and slicing: the core machinery of the RNA interference pathway. FEBS Lett. 2005;579:5822-9 pubmed..Silencing is effected by the RNA-induced silencing complex and its RNaseH core enzyme Argonaute. This review describes the discovery of these machines and discusses future lines of work on this amazing biochemical pathway. ..
- Poulton J, Huang Y, Smith L, Sun J, Leake N, Schleede J, et al. The microRNA pathway regulates the temporal pattern of Notch signaling in Drosophila follicle cells. Development. 2011;138:1737-45 pubmed publisher..Here we have uncovered a complex regulatory process in which the microRNA pathway promotes Notch activation by repressing Delta-mediated inhibition of Notch in follicle cells. ..
- Tomari Y, Zamore P. Perspective: machines for RNAi. Genes Dev. 2005;19:517-29 pubmed..Here, we review our current understanding of how small RNAs are produced, how they are loaded into protein complexes, and how they repress gene expression. ..
- Smibert P, Yang J, Azzam G, Liu J, Lai E. Homeostatic control of Argonaute stability by microRNA availability. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2013;20:789-95 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Argonaute levels are finely tuned by cellular availability of mature miRNAs and the ubiquitin-proteasome system. ..
- Chak L, Mohammed J, Lai E, Tucker Kellogg G, Okamura K. A deeply conserved, noncanonical miRNA hosted by ribosomal DNA. RNA. 2015;21:375-84 pubmed publisher..Processing of this miRNA requires Dicer-1, whereas the Drosha-Pasha complex is dispensable...
- Xiong X, Vogler G, Kurthkoti K, Samsonova A, Zhou R. SmD1 Modulates the miRNA Pathway Independently of Its Pre-mRNA Splicing Function. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005475 pubmed publisher..SmD1 interacts with both the microprocessor component Pasha and pri-miRNAs, and is indispensable for optimal miRNA biogenesis...
- Obbard D, Gordon K, Buck A, Jiggins F. The evolution of RNAi as a defence against viruses and transposable elements. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2009;364:99-115 pubmed publisher..Over longer time scales, key RNAi genes are repeatedly duplicated or lost across the metazoan phylogeny, with important implications for RNAi as an immune defence. ..