Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: pAbp
Description: poly(A) binding protein
Alias: BcDNA:LD24412, CG16803, CG5119, Dmel\CG5119, PABP, PABP55B, PABPC1, PAbp, Pabp, anon-EST:Posey247, anon-EST:Posey249, anon-EST:fe2E5, dPABP, duo, l(2)SH1908, l(2)SH2 1908, l(2)k10109, pAB, pABP, pabp, poly(A) binding protein, CG5119-PA, CG5119-PB, CG5119-PC, Poly(A) binding protein, Poly(A)-binding protein, Poly(A)binding protein, PolyA-binding protein, anon-fast-evolving-2E5, doppio fuso, lethal (2) SH1908, pAbp-PA, pAbp-PB, pAbp-PC, poly (A)-binding protein, poly-A binding protein, polyadenylate-binding protein
Species: fruit fly
- Moretti F, Kaiser C, Zdanowicz Specht A, Hentze M. PABP and the poly(A) tail augment microRNA repression by facilitated miRISC binding. Nat Struct Mol Biol. 2012;19:603-8 pubmed publisher..melanogaster cell-free translation system, we found that this effect is mediated by the poly(A)-binding protein (PABP)...
- Nelson M, Luo H, Vari H, Cox B, Simmonds A, Krause H, et al. A multiprotein complex that mediates translational enhancement in Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:34031-8 pubmed
- Khong A, Jan E. Modulation of stress granules and P bodies during dicistrovirus infection. J Virol. 2011;85:1439-51 pubmed publisher..In summary, we propose that dicistrovirus infection leads to the selective inhibition of distinct SGs so that viral proteins are available for viral processing. ..
- Sigrist S, Thiel P, Reiff D, Lachance P, Lasko P, Schuster C. Postsynaptic translation affects the efficacy and morphology of neuromuscular junctions. Nature. 2000;405:1062-5 pubmed..Our results therefore provide evidence for a postsynaptic translational control of long-term junctional plasticity. ..
- ..This model suggests that the Ccr4-Not complex might function as a "chaperone platform". ..
- Fukaya T, Tomari Y. PABP is not essential for microRNA-mediated translational repression and deadenylation in vitro. EMBO J. 2011;30:4998-5009 pubmed publisher..It was previously proposed that GW182, an Ago-associating protein, directly binds to poly(A)-binding protein (PABP) and interferes with its function, leading to silencing of the target mRNAs...
- Behm Ansmant I, Gatfield D, Rehwinkel J, Hilgers V, Izaurralde E. A conserved role for cytoplasmic poly(A)-binding protein 1 (PABPC1) in nonsense-mediated mRNA decay. EMBO J. 2007;26:1591-601 pubmed..We show that the position of stops relative to the poly(A) tail (and thus of PABPC1) is a critical determinant for PTC definition in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Huntzinger E, Kuzuoğlu Öztürk D, Braun J, Eulalio A, Wohlbold L, Izaurralde E. The interactions of GW182 proteins with PABP and deadenylases are required for both translational repression and degradation of miRNA targets. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:978-94 pubmed publisher..In turn, GW182 proteins interact with poly(A)-binding protein (PABP) and the PAN2-PAN3 and CCR4-NOT deadenylase complexes...
- Zekri L, Kuzuoğlu Öztürk D, Izaurralde E. GW182 proteins cause PABP dissociation from silenced miRNA targets in the absence of deadenylation. EMBO J. 2013;32:1052-65 pubmed publisher..To elicit these effects, GW182 proteins interact with poly(A)-binding protein (PABP) and the CCR4-NOT deadenylase complex...
- Zekri L, Huntzinger E, Heimstädt S, Izaurralde E. The silencing domain of GW182 interacts with PABPC1 to promote translational repression and degradation of microRNA targets and is required for target release. Mol Cell Biol. 2009;29:6220-31 pubmed publisher..we show that the GW182 bipartite silencing domain competes with eukaryotic initiation factor 4G for binding to PABPC1. The GW182-PABPC1 interaction is also required for miRNA target degradation; accordingly, we observed that PABPC1 ..
- Farny N, Kedersha N, Silver P. Metazoan stress granule assembly is mediated by P-eIF2alpha-dependent and -independent mechanisms. RNA. 2009;15:1814-21 pubmed publisher..These results suggest that mammals evolved alternative mechanisms for dealing with thermal stress. ..
- Ghosh S, Lasko P. Loss-of-function analysis reveals distinct requirements of the translation initiation factors eIF4E, eIF4E-3, eIF4G and eIF4G2 in Drosophila spermatogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0122519 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our analysis reveals spatio-temporal roles of the canonical and testes-specific translation initiation factors in coordinating developmental programs during spermatogenesis. ..
- Vazquez Pianzola P, Urlaub H, Suter B. Pabp binds to the osk 3'UTR and specifically contributes to osk mRNA stability and oocyte accumulation. Dev Biol. 2011;357:404-18 pubmed publisher..We identified the Poly(A)-binding protein (Pabp) as a protein that forms an RNA-dependent complex with Bic-D in embryos and ovaries...
- Zhang Y, Ling J, Yuan C, Dubruille R, Emery P. A role for Drosophila ATX2 in activation of PER translation and circadian behavior. Science. 2013;340:879-82 pubmed publisher..ATX2 formed a complex with TYF and promoted its interaction with polyadenylate-binding protein (PABP)...
- Garrey J, Lee Y, Au H, Bushell M, Jan E. Host and viral translational mechanisms during cricket paralysis virus infection. J Virol. 2010;84:1124-38 pubmed publisher..These results support a model by which the alteration of the deIF4F complex contribute to the shutoff of host translation during CrPV infection, thereby promoting viral protein synthesis via the CrPV 5'UTR and IGR IRES. ..
- Fukami Kobayashi K, Tomoda S, Go M. Evolutionary clustering and functional similarity of RNA-binding proteins. FEBS Lett. 1993;335:289-93 pubmed..We constructed a phylogenetic tree for the RNA-binding domains, including those of poly(A)-binding protein (PABP), splicing factors, chloroplast RNPs, hnRNPs, snRNP U1-70K, nucleolin and Drosophila sex determinants...
- Singh N, Morlock H, Hanes S. The Bin3 RNA methyltransferase is required for repression of caudal translation in the Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 2011;352:104-15 pubmed publisher..to the caudal 3' UTR, and (3) genetic interactions with bicoid, and with genes encoding eIF4E, Larp1, polyA binding protein (PABP), and Ago2. 7SK RNA coimmunoprecipitated with Bin3 and is present in Bicoid complexes...
- Antic S, Wolfinger M, Skucha A, Hosiner S, Dorner S. General and MicroRNA-Mediated mRNA Degradation Occurs on Ribosome Complexes in Drosophila Cells. Mol Cell Biol. 2015;35:2309-20 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings strongly indicate the association of the majority of bulk mRNAs as well as mRNAs targeted by miRNAs with the ribosome during their degradation. ..
- Kim H, Raphael A, LADOW E, McGurk L, Weber R, Trojanowski J, et al. Therapeutic modulation of eIF2? phosphorylation rescues TDP-43 toxicity in amyotrophic lateral sclerosis disease models. Nat Genet. 2014;46:152-60 pubmed publisher..by TDP-43 toxicity in flies, and TDP-43 interacts with a central stress granule component, polyA-binding protein (PABP)...
- Ghosh S, Obrdlik A, Marchand V, Ephrussi A. The EJC binding and dissociating activity of PYM is regulated in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004455 pubmed publisher..This, together with the fact that the EJC-disassembly activity of DmPYM is regulated, implicates PYM as an effector of EJC homeostasis in vivo. ..
- Matunis M, Matunis E, Dreyfuss G. Isolation of hnRNP complexes from Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Biol. 1992;116:245-55 pubmed..J. Cell Biol. 116:257-269). The purification of D. melanogaster hnRNP complexes will facilitate genetic and cytological studies on the function of hnRNA-binding proteins and on the posttranscriptional regulation of gene expression. ..
- Sigrist S, Reiff D, Thiel P, Steinert J, Schuster C. Experience-dependent strengthening of Drosophila neuromuscular junctions. J Neurosci. 2003;23:6546-56 pubmed..Such temporal mapping of experience-dependent adaptations at developing wild-type and mutant NMJs will provide detailed insights into the dynamic control of glutamatergic signal transmission. ..
- Lie Y, Macdonald P. Translational regulation of oskar mRNA occurs independent of the cap and poly(A) tail in Drosophila ovarian extracts. Development. 1999;126:4989-96 pubmed..Translational regulation mediated through the Bruno response elements is thus likely to occur via a novel mechanism. ..
- Fehler O, Singh P, Haas A, Ulrich D, MÃ¼ller J, Ohnheiser J, et al. An evolutionarily conserved interaction of tumor suppressor protein Pdcd4 with the poly(A)-binding protein contributes to translation suppression by Pdcd4. Nucleic Acids Res. 2014;42:11107-18 pubmed publisher..We have now identified the poly(A)-binding protein (PABP) as a novel direct interaction partner of Pdcd4...
- Wilhelm J, Buszczak M, Sayles S. Efficient protein trafficking requires trailer hitch, a component of a ribonucleoprotein complex localized to the ER in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2005;9:675-85 pubmed..These findings raise exciting new possibilities for how the mRNA localization machinery could interface with the classical secretory pathway to promote efficient protein trafficking in the cell. ..
- Costa A, Pazman C, Sinsimer K, Wong L, McLeod I, Yates J, et al. Rasputin functions as a positive regulator of orb in Drosophila oogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e72864 pubmed publisher..Tandem Mass Spectrometry analysis shows that several canonical stress granule proteins are associated with the Orb-Rin complex suggesting that a conserved mRNP complex regulates localized translation during oogenesis in Drosophila. ..
- Nishihara T, Zekri L, Braun J, Izaurralde E. miRISC recruits decapping factors to miRNA targets to enhance their degradation. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:8692-705 pubmed publisher..Thus, miRISC increases the local concentration of the decapping machinery on miRNA targets to facilitate decapping and irreversibly shut down their translation. ..
- Blagden S, Gatt M, Archambault V, Lada K, Ichihara K, Lilley K, et al. Drosophila Larp associates with poly(A)-binding protein and is required for male fertility and syncytial embryo development. Dev Biol. 2009;334:186-97 pubmed publisher..in a physical complex with, and also interacts genetically with, the translation regulator poly(A)-binding protein (PABP). Most mutant alleles of pAbp are embryonic lethal...
- Gareau C, Houssin E, Martel D, Coudert L, Mellaoui S, Huot M, et al. Characterization of fragile X mental retardation protein recruitment and dynamics in Drosophila stress granules. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e55342 pubmed publisher..To our knowledge, this is the first demonstration of the regulated shuttling activity of a SG component between RNA granules and the cytosol. ..
- Yao P, Fox P. Sex lethal and upstream ORFs: a bait-and-trap system for ribosomes. Genome Biol. 2011;12:121 pubmed publisher..An upstream ORF cooperates with Sex lethal to inhibit msl-2 translation during Drosophila sex determination, a biological principle with potentially broad application in gene regulation. ..
- Kim Y, Baker B. Isolation of RRM-type RNA-binding protein genes and the analysis of their relatedness by using a numerical approach. Mol Cell Biol. 1993;13:174-83 pubmed..This result suggests that we have isolated good candidates for both housekeeping and developmentally important genes involved in RNA metabolism. ..
- Pertceva J, Dorogova N, Bolobolova E, Nerusheva O, Fedorova S, Omelyanchuk L. The role of Drosophila hyperplastic discs gene in spermatogenesis. Cell Biol Int. 2010;34:991-6 pubmed publisher..Since Hyd and pAbp protein families share a common PABC [poly(A)-binding protein C-terminal] protein domain, we also studied ..
- Weidmann C, Raynard N, Blewett N, Van Etten J, Goldstrohm A. The RNA binding domain of Pumilio antagonizes poly-adenosine binding protein and accelerates deadenylation. RNA. 2014;20:1298-319 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that repression by the human PUM2 RBD requires the pAbp ortholog, PABPC1. Pumilio associates with pAbp but does not disrupt binding of pAbp to the mRNA...
- Lefrère V, Vincent A, Amalric F. Drosophila melanogaster poly(A)-binding protein: cDNA cloning reveals an unusually long 3'-untranslated region of the mRNA, also present in other eukaryotic species [corrected]. Gene. 1990;96:219-25 pubmedTwo classes of cDNAs encoding the Drosophila melanogaster (poly(A)-binding protein (PABP), which differ in length due to different positions of their respective 3' ends, were isolated by screening an embryonic cDNA library...
- Cziko A, McCann C, Howlett I, Barbee S, Duncan R, Luedemann R, et al. Genetic modifiers of dFMR1 encode RNA granule components in Drosophila. Genetics. 2009;182:1051-60 pubmed publisher..Several mutations in dco, orb2, pAbp, rm62, and smD3 genes dominantly suppress the sev-dfmr1 rough-eye phenotype, suggesting that they are required for ..
- Lonie A, D ANDREA R, Paro R, Saint R. Molecular characterisation of the Polycomblike gene of Drosophila melanogaster, a trans-acting negative regulator of homeotic gene expression. Development. 1994;120:2629-36 pubmed..These data add further support for a model in which Polycomb Group proteins form multimeric protein complexes at specific chromosomal loci to repress transcription at those loci. ..
- McDermott S, Meignin C, Rappsilber J, Davis I. Drosophila Syncrip binds the gurken mRNA localisation signal and regulates localised transcripts during axis specification. Biol Open. 2012;1:488-97 pubmed publisher..We propose that Syncrip/SYNCRIP is part of a conserved complex associated with localised transcripts and required for their correct translational regulation in flies and mammals. ..
- Glenn L, Searles L. Distinct domains mediate the early and late functions of the Drosophila ovarian tumor proteins. Mech Dev. 2001;102:181-91 pubmed..This study substantially clarifies the relationship between Otu structure and function and reveals new clues about interacting components. ..
- Fukaya T, Tomari Y. MicroRNAs mediate gene silencing via multiple different pathways in drosophila. Mol Cell. 2012;48:825-36 pubmed publisher..Differential contribution from these multiple pathways may explain previous, apparently contradictory observations of how microRNAs inhibit protein synthesis. ..
- Sigrist S, Thiel P, Reiff D, Schuster C. The postsynaptic glutamate receptor subunit DGluR-IIA mediates long-term plasticity in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2002;22:7362-72 pubmed
- Häder T, Muller S, Aguilera M, Eulenberg K, Steuernagel A, Ciossek T, et al. Control of triglyceride storage by a WD40/TPR-domain protein. EMBO Rep. 2003;4:511-6 pubmed..adp encodes an evolutionarily conserved WD40/tetratricopeptide-repeat-domain protein that is likely to represent an intermediate in a novel signalling pathway. ..
- Reiff D, Thiel P, Schuster C. Differential regulation of active zone density during long-term strengthening of Drosophila neuromuscular junctions. J Neurosci. 2002;22:9399-409 pubmed..A second mutant (pabp(P970)/+), which showed enhanced evoked vesicle release triggered by elevated subsynaptic protein synthesis, ..
- Lim C, Allada R. ATAXIN-2 activates PERIOD translation to sustain circadian rhythms in Drosophila. Science. 2013;340:875-9 pubmed publisher..of Atx2 or the expression of a mutant ATX2 protein that does not associate with polyadenylate-binding protein (PABP) suppressed behavioral rhythms and decreased abundance of PER...
- Parry T, Theisen J, Hsu J, Wang Y, Corcoran D, Eustice M, et al. The TCT motif, a key component of an RNA polymerase II transcription system for the translational machinery. Genes Dev. 2010;24:2013-8 pubmed publisher..Thus, the TCT motif is a novel transcriptional element that is distinct from the Inr. These findings reveal a specialized TCT-based transcription system that is directed toward the synthesis of ribosomal proteins. ..
- Lessing D, Bonini N. Polyglutamine genes interact to modulate the severity and progression of neurodegeneration in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e29 pubmed publisher..protein interaction domain of Atx2, the PAM2 motif, which mediates binding of cytoplasmic poly(A)-binding protein (PABP). We show here that PABP also influences SCA3-associated neurodegeneration...
- Lefrère V, Vincent A, Amalric F. Drosophila melanogaster poly(A)-binding protein: cDNA cloning reveals an unusually long 3'-untranslated region of the mRNA, also present in other eukaryotic species. Gene. 1993;126:295-6 pubmed
- Hernández G, Altmann M, Sierra J, Urlaub H, Diez del Corral R, Schwartz P, et al. Functional analysis of seven genes encoding eight translation initiation factor 4E (eIF4E) isoforms in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 2005;122:529-43 pubmed..Overexpression of eIF4E-1 in wild-type embryos and eye imaginal discs results in phenotypic defects in a dose-dependent manner. ..
- Lim C, Lee J, Choi C, Kilman V, Kim J, Park S, et al. The novel gene twenty-four defines a critical translational step in the Drosophila clock. Nature. 2011;470:399-403 pubmed publisher..TYF associates with a 5'-cap-binding complex, poly(A)-binding protein (PABP), as well as per and tim transcripts...
- Temme C, Zhang L, Kremmer E, Ihling C, Chartier A, Sinz A, et al. Subunits of the Drosophila CCR4-NOT complex and their roles in mRNA deadenylation. RNA. 2010;16:1356-70 pubmed publisher..Nocturnin may also be involved in mRNA deadenylation, whereas there is no evidence for a similar role of Angel and 3635. ..
- Lin J, Fabian M, Sonenberg N, Meller A. Nanopore detachment kinetics of poly(A) binding proteins from RNA molecules reveals the critical role of C-terminus interactions. Biophys J. 2012;102:1427-34 pubmed publisherThe ubiquitous and abundant cytoplasmic poly(A) binding protein (PABP) is a highly conserved multifunctional protein, many copies of which bind to the poly(A) tail of eukaryotic mRNAs to promote translation initiation...
- Chakkalakal J, Jasmin B. Localizing synaptic mRNAs at the neuromuscular junction: it takes more than transcription. Bioessays. 2003;25:25-31 pubmed..Finally, we discuss the possibility that mis-regulation of post-transcriptional events can occur in certain neuromuscular diseases and cause abnormalities of the neuromuscular junction. ..
- DiAntonio A. Neurobiology. Translating activity into plasticity. Nature. 2000;405:1011-2 pubmed
- Boulanger M, Miranda T, Clarke S, Di Fruscio M, Suter B, Lasko P, et al. Characterization of the Drosophila protein arginine methyltransferases DART1 and DART4. Biochem J. 2004;379:283-9 pubmed..The presence of PRMTs in D. melanogaster suggest that flies are a suitable genetic system to study arginine methylation. ..
- Duncan R. Rapamycin conditionally inhibits Hsp90 but not Hsp70 mRNA translation in Drosophila: implications for the mechanisms of Hsp mRNA translation. Cell Stress Chaperones. 2008;13:143-55 pubmed publisher..These results support the proposal that preferential translation of different Hsp mRNA utilizes distinct translation mechanisms, even within a single species. ..