Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: osp
Alias: BG:DS01486.5, BG:DS01486.7, BG:DS07721.2, CG3479, Dmel\CG3479, alw, anon-WO02059370.75, l(2)rJ571, v(2)rJ571, outspread, CG3479-PC, CG3479-PD, CG3479-PE, CG3479-PF, arc-like wing, arclike wing, osp-PC, osp-PD, osp-PE, osp-PF
Species: fruit fly
- Ashburner M. Speculations on the subject of alcohol dehydrogenase and its properties in Drosophila and other flies. Bioessays. 1998;20:949-54 pubmed publisher..I also hint that the ADH enzymes of other flies (e.g., the tephritid fruit flies) may have evolved independently of those of Drosophila, but from a common ancestral gene...
- Gubb D, Roote J, Trenear J, Coulson D, Ashburner M. Topological constraints on transvection between white genes within the transposing element TE35B in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;146:919-37 pubmed..Similarly, breakpoints immediately proximal or distal to both w genes give partial suppression. This transvection-dependent downregulation of w genes may result from mis-activation of the X-chromosome dosage compensation mechanism...
- Gubb D, McGill S, Ashburner M. A selective screen to recover chromosomal deletions and duplications in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;119:377-90 pubmed..Such aberration breakpoints can be genetically mapped, as synthetic deletions, and then used as transposon-tagged sites for the recovery of genomic clones. ..
- Chia W, Karp R, McGill S, Ashburner M. Molecular analysis of the Adh region of the genome of Drosophila melanogaster. J Mol Biol. 1985;186:689-706 pubmed..to 35B1 and includes the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase (Adh) as well as at least two other genes, outspread (osp) and no-ocelli (noc), has been characterized by mapping chromosome aberrations to the DNA...
- McNabb S, Greig S, Davis T. The alcohol dehydrogenase gene is nested in the outspread locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1996;143:897-911 pubmedThis report describes the structure and expression of the outspread (osp) gene of Drosophila melanogaster...
- Fossett N, Arbour Reily P, Kilroy G, McDaniel M, Mahmoud J, Tucker A, et al. Analysis of ENU-induced mutations at the Adh locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1990;231:73-85 pubmed..7 of the 9 intragenic mutations were GC to AT transitions which resulted in 5 single amino acid substitutions, 1 premature translation termination codon, and 1 splice site mutation.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Ashburner M. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. III. Hypomorphic and hypermorphic mutations affecting the expression of hairless. Genetics. 1982;101:447-59 pubmed..A simple model is proposed to account for the interaction of l(2)br7 and H, assuming that amorphic (or hypomorphic) alleles of l(2)br7 suppress H and that hypermorphic alleles enhance H. ..
- Woodruff R, Ashburner M. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. I. Characterization of deficiencies and mapping of ADH and visible mutations. Genetics. 1979;92:117-32 pubmed..Flies heterozygous for overlapping deficiencies that include both the Adh locus and that for the outspread mutant (osp: a recessive wing phenotype) are homozygous viable and show a complete ADH negative phenotype and ..
- Ashburner M, Detwiler C, Tsubota S, Woodruff R. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. VI. Induced revertants of scutoid. Genetics. 1983;104:405-31 pubmed..However, some revertants of Sco are rather more complex, and their properties suggest an interaction between the pu-noc and l(2)br28-l(2)br37 regions of chromosome arm 2L and also demonstrate the genetic complexity of the el-noc region. ..
- Grau Y, Carteret C, Simpson P. Mutations and Chromosomal Rearrangements Affecting the Expression of Snail, a Gene Involved in Embryonic Patterning in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1984;108:347-60 pubmed..It is concluded that the products of all of these genes function together in the process of specification of pattern in the embryo. ..