Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: osa
Alias: C819, CG7467, Dmel\CG7467, E(E2F)3C, OSA, Osa, anon-WO0118547.314, anon-WO0172774.126, eld, en(lz)4F/4H, eyelid, l(3)00090, l(3)04539, l(3)j9C3, p300, osa, CG7467-PA, CG7467-PB, CG7467-PC, CG7467-PD, CG7467-PE, CG7467-PF, eye lid, eyelid, osa-PA, osa-PB, osa-PC, osa-PD, osa-PE, osa-PF
Species: fruit fly
- Fry C, Peterson C. Chromatin remodeling enzymes: who's on first?. Curr Biol. 2001;11:R185-97 pubmed..Here we review recent developments concerning the role of chromatin remodeling enzymes in gene regulation, and propose several models to explain how different chromatin remodeling activities can be functionally coupled. ..
- Collins R, Treisman J. Osa-containing Brahma chromatin remodeling complexes are required for the repression of wingless target genes. Genes Dev. 2000;14:3140-52 pubmed..We report here that the product of the trithorax group gene osa is required to repress such genes in the absence of the Wingless signal...
- Collins R, Furukawa T, Tanese N, Treisman J. Osa associates with the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex and promotes the activation of some target genes. EMBO J. 1999;18:7029-40 pubmed..The Drosophila osa gene, like yeast SWI1, encodes an AT-rich interaction (ARID) domain protein...
- Heitzler P, Vanolst L, Biryukova I, Ramain P. Enhancer-promoter communication mediated by Chip during Pannier-driven proneural patterning is regulated by Osa. Genes Dev. 2003;17:591-6 pubmed..We show here that this communication is regulated by Osa, which is recruited by Pannier and Chip...
- Vazquez M, Moore L, Kennison J. The trithorax group gene osa encodes an ARID-domain protein that genetically interacts with the brahma chromatin-remodeling factor to regulate transcription. Development. 1999;126:733-42 pubmed..We report here that brm interacts with another trithorax group gene, osa, to regulate the expression of the Antennapedia P2 promoter...
- Gutierrez L, Zurita M, Kennison J, Vázquez M. The Drosophila trithorax group gene tonalli (tna) interacts genetically with the Brahma remodeling complex and encodes an SP-RING finger protein. Development. 2003;130:343-54 pubmed..We propose that Tna is involved in postranslational modification of transcription complexes. ..
- Terriente Félix A, de Celis J. Osa, a subunit of the BAP chromatin-remodelling complex, participates in the regulation of gene expression in response to EGFR signalling in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2009;329:350-61 pubmed publisher..The protein Osa defines the BAP complex, and the proteins Polybromo and Bap170 are only present in the complex named PBAP...
- Waldholm J, Wang Z, Brodin D, Tyagi A, Yu S, Theopold U, et al. SWI/SNF regulates the alternative processing of a specific subset of pre-mRNAs in Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Mol Biol. 2011;12:46 pubmed publisher..The effect is restricted to and specific for a subset of transcripts. Our results provide novel insights into the mechanisms by which SWI/SNF regulates transcript diversity and proteomic diversity in higher eukaryotes. ..
- Nakayama T, Shimojima T, Hirose S. The PBAP remodeling complex is required for histone H3.3 replacement at chromatin boundaries and for boundary functions. Development. 2012;139:4582-90 pubmed publisher..3 replacement to execute boundary functions. Our results provide new insight into the function of the trithorax group during development. ..
- Valadez Graham V, Yoshioka Y, Velazquez O, Kawamori A, Vázquez M, Neumann A, et al. XNP/dATRX interacts with DREF in the chromatin to regulate gene expression. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:1460-74 pubmed publisher..This work establishes that XNP/dATRX directly contacts the transcriptional activator DREF in the chromatin to regulate gene expression. ..
- Chang Y, King B, Lin S, Kennison J, Huang D. A double-bromodomain protein, FSH-S, activates the homeotic gene ultrabithorax through a critical promoter-proximal region. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:5486-98 pubmed..In addition, we show that FSH-S is involved in phosphorylation of itself and other regulatory factors. We suggest that FSH-S acts as a critical component of a regulatory circuitry mediating long-range effects of distant enhancers. ..
- Vanolst L, Fromental Ramain C, Ramain P. Toutatis, a TIP5-related protein, positively regulates Pannier function during Drosophila neural development. Development. 2005;132:4327-38 pubmed..The results suggest that Tou and Iswi may belong to a complex that directly regulates the activity of Pnr and Chip during enhancer-promoter communication, possibly through chromatin remodelling. ..
- Harbour J, Dean D. The Rb/E2F pathway: expanding roles and emerging paradigms. Genes Dev. 2000;14:2393-409 pubmed
- Tulin A, Stewart D, Spradling A. The Drosophila heterochromatic gene encoding poly(ADP-ribose) polymerase (PARP) is required to modulate chromatin structure during development. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2108-19 pubmed..We propose that PARP-e autoregulates Parp transcription by influencing the chromatin structure of its heterochromatic environment. Our results indicate that Parp plays a fundamental role organizing the structure of Drosophila chromatin. ..
- Bonnay F, Nguyen X, Cohen Berros E, Troxler L, Batsche E, Camonis J, et al. Akirin specifies NF-ÎºB selectivity of Drosophila innate immune response via chromatin remodeling. EMBO J. 2014;33:2349-62 pubmed publisher..analysis revealed that Akirin orchestrates NF-ÎºB transcriptional selectivity through the recruitment of the Osa-containing-SWI/SNF-like Brahma complex (BAP)...
- Felsenfeld A, Kennison J. Positional signaling by hedgehog in Drosophila imaginal disc development. Development. 1995;121:1-10 pubmed..The results suggest that hedgehog protein acts in the wing as a signal to instruct neighboring cells to adopt fates appropriate to the region of the wing just anterior to the compartmental boundary. ..
- Kennison J. Transcriptional activation of Drosophila homeotic genes from distant regulatory elements. Trends Genet. 1993;9:75-9 pubmed..Some of the trans-acting proteins may facilitate interactions between cis-regulatory elements and the promoter by bringing together distant chromosomal elements. ..
- Kaminker J, Singh R, Lebestky T, Yan H, Banerjee U. Redundant function of Runt Domain binding partners, Big brother and Brother, during Drosophila development. Development. 2001;128:2639-48 pubmed..These studies highlight a mechanism for transcriptional control by a Runt Domain protein and a redundant pair of partners in the specification of cell fate during development. ..
- Janssens D, Lee C. It takes two to tango, a dance between the cells of origin and cancer stem cells in the Drosophila larval brain. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2014;28:63-9 pubmed publisher..Here we review how defects in this cascade lead to tumor initiation and how inhibiting the self-renewal mechanisms may be an effective strategy to block CSC expansion. ..
- Wang H, Kazemi Esfarjani P, Benzer S. Multiple-stress analysis for isolation of Drosophila longevity genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:12610-5 pubmed..Overexpression of either hsp26 or hsp27 extended the mean lifespan by 30%, and the flies also displayed increased stress resistance. The results demonstrate that multiple-stress screening can be used to identify new longevity genes. ..
- Cheng N, Sinclair D, Campbell R, Brock H. Interactions of polyhomeotic with Polycomb group genes of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1994;138:1151-62 pubmed..Based on this phenotypic analysis, we suggest that ph may perform different functions in conjunction with differing subsets of Pc group genes. ..
- Monribot Villanueva J, Juárez Uribe R, Palomera Sanchez Z, Gutiérrez Aguiar L, Zurita M, Kennison J, et al. TnaA, an SP-RING protein, interacts with Osa, a subunit of the chromatin remodeling complex BRAHMA and with the SUMOylation pathway in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e62251 pubmed publisher..We show that TnaA physically interacts with the SUMO E2 conjugating enzyme Ubc9, and with the BRM complex subunit Osa. Furthermore, we show that tna and osa interact genetically with SUMOylation pathway components and individuals ..
- Mills A. Throwing the cancer switch: reciprocal roles of polycomb and trithorax proteins. Nat Rev Cancer. 2010;10:669-82 pubmed publisher..Recent work highlights the dynamic interplay between these opposing classes of proteins, providing new avenues for understanding how these epigenetic regulators function in tumorigenesis. ..
- Vorobyeva N, Mazina M, Golovnin A, Kopytova D, Gurskiy D, Nabirochkina E, et al. Insulator protein Su(Hw) recruits SAGA and Brahma complexes and constitutes part of Origin Recognition Complex-binding sites in the Drosophila genome. Nucleic Acids Res. 2013;41:5717-30 pubmed publisher..Su(Hw) is the first example of such a protein. ..
- Vonhoff F, Williams A, Ryglewski S, Duch C. Drosophila as a model for MECP2 gain of function in neurons. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e31835 pubmed publisher..Third, dendritic defects are amended by reducing the dose of the chromatin remodeling protein, osa, indicating that MECP2 may act via chromatin remodeling in Drosophila...
- Diop S, Bertaux K, Vasanthi D, Sarkeshik A, Goirand B, Aragnol D, et al. Reptin and Pontin function antagonistically with PcG and TrxG complexes to mediate Hox gene control. EMBO Rep. 2008;9:260-6 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the enzymatic functions of Rept and Pont are indispensable for maintaining Hox gene expression states, highlighting the importance of these two antagonistic factors in transcriptional output. ..
- CUKIER H, Perez A, Collins A, Zhou Z, Zoghbi H, Botas J. Genetic modifiers of MeCP2 function in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2008;4:e1000179 pubmed publisher..These genetic modifiers include other chromatin remodeling genes (Additional sex combs, corto, osa, Sex combs on midleg, and trithorax), the kinase tricornered, the UBE3A target pebble, and Drosophila homologues of ..
- Kirilly D, Wong J, Lim E, Wang Y, Zhang H, Wang C, et al. Intrinsic epigenetic factors cooperate with the steroid hormone ecdysone to govern dendrite pruning in Drosophila. Neuron. 2011;72:86-100 pubmed publisher..Thus, specific intrinsic epigenetic factors cooperate with steroid hormones to activate selective transcriptional programs, thereby initiating neuronal remodeling. ..
- Talbert P, Garber R. The Drosophila homeotic mutation Nasobemia (AntpNs) and its revertants: an analysis of mutational reversion. Genetics. 1994;138:709-20 pubmed..Finally, one revertant has a suppressing lesion in the osa locus far away from Antp...
- Milan M, Weihe U, Perez L, Cohen S. The LRR proteins capricious and Tartan mediate cell interactions during DV boundary formation in the Drosophila wing. Cell. 2001;106:785-94 pubmed
- Roush W. Genes seen turning imaginal fly eyes into reality. Science. 1996;272:1739 pubmed
- Carrera P, Abrell S, Kerber B, Walldorf U, Preiss A, Hoch M, et al. A modifier screen in the eye reveals control genes for Krüppel activity in the Drosophila embryo. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:10779-84 pubmed..We show that the two genes, eyelid (eld) and extramacrochaetae (emc), which encode a Bright family-type DNA binding protein and a helix-loop-helix ..
- Petruk S, Black K, Kovermann S, Brock H, Mazo A. Stepwise histone modifications are mediated by multiple enzymes that rapidly associate with nascent DNA during replication. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2841 pubmed publisher..Epigenetic inheritance of gene expression patterns may require many aspects of chromatin structure to remain in close proximity to the replication complex followed by reassembly on nascent DNA shortly after replication. ..
- Kal A, Mahmoudi T, Zak N, Verrijzer C. The Drosophila brahma complex is an essential coactivator for the trithorax group protein zeste. Genes Dev. 2000;14:1058-71 pubmed..that Zeste tethers the BRM complex via direct binding to specific subunits, including trxG proteins Moira (MOR) and OSA. The leucine zipper of Zeste mediates binding to MOR...
- Dembeck L, Huang W, Magwire M, Lawrence F, Lyman R, Mackay T. Genetic Architecture of Abdominal Pigmentation in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005163 pubmed publisher..Variation in these novel candidates may serve as targets for adaptive evolution and sexual selection in D. melanogaster. ..
- Yamaguchi M, Yoshida H, Hirose F, Inoue Y, Hayashi Y, Yamagishi M, et al. Ectopic expression of BEAF32A in the Drosophila eye imaginal disc inhibits differentiation of photoreceptor cells and induces apoptosis. Chromosoma. 2001;110:313-21 pubmed..The transgenic flies established in this study should be useful to identify targets of BEAF32A and its positive or negative regulators in Drosophila. ..
- Pirone L, Xolalpa W, Sigurðsson J, Ramirez J, Pérez C, Gonzalez M, et al. A comprehensive platform for the analysis of ubiquitin-like protein modifications using in vivo biotinylation. Sci Rep. 2017;7:40756 pubmed publisher..Ease of use and the flexibility to modify existing vectors will make the bioUbL system a powerful complement to existing strategies for studying this important mode of protein regulation. ..
- Fiedler M, Graeb M, Mieszczanek J, Rutherford T, Johnson C, Bienz M. An ancient Pygo-dependent Wnt enhanceosome integrated by Chip/LDB-SSDP. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Its pivotal function in embryos and stem cells explain why its integrity is crucial in the avoidance of cancer. ..
- Zeng X, Lin X, Hou S. The Osa-containing SWI/SNF chromatin-remodeling complex regulates stem cell commitment in the adult Drosophila intestine. Development. 2013;140:3532-40 pubmed publisher..In a screen for genes that regulate cell lineage determination in the posterior midgut, we identified that the Osa-containing SWI/SNF (Brahma) chromatin-remodeling complex regulates Drosophila midgut homeostasis...
- Calgaro S, Boube M, Cribbs D, Bourbon H. The Drosophila gene taranis encodes a novel trithorax group member potentially linked to the cell cycle regulatory apparatus. Genetics. 2002;160:547-60 pubmed..and (ii) they enhance the phenotypic effects of mutations in the trxG genes trithorax (trx), brahma (brm), and osa. In addition, reduced tara activity can mimic homeotic loss-of-function phenotypes, as is often the case for trxG ..
- Fuse N, Matakatsu H, Taniguchi M, Hayashi S. Snail-type zinc finger proteins prevent neurogenesis in Scutoid and transgenic animals of Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 1999;209:573-80 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that the Scutoid phenotype is due to an ectopic snail expression under the control of no-oceli enhancer, antagonizing neurogenesis through its inhibitory interaction with bHLH proteins. ..
- Moshkin Y, Armstrong J, Maeda R, Tamkun J, Verrijzer P, Kennison J, et al. Histone chaperone ASF1 cooperates with the Brahma chromatin-remodelling machinery. Genes Dev. 2002;16:2621-6 pubmed..These findings suggest that ASF1 plays a crucial role in both chromatin assembly and SWI/SNF-mediated chromatin remodelling. ..
- Herr A, Mckenzie L, Suryadinata R, Sadowski M, Parsons L, Sarcevic B, et al. Geminin and Brahma act antagonistically to regulate EGFR-Ras-MAPK signaling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;344:36-51 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results show that Gem and Brm act antagonistically to modulate the EGFR-Ras-MAPK signaling pathway, by affecting Mek levels during Drosophila development. ..
- Ragab A, Thompson E, Travers A. High mobility group proteins HMGD and HMGZ interact genetically with the Brahma chromatin remodeling complex in Drosophila. Genetics. 2006;172:1069-78 pubmed
- Decoville M, Giacomello E, Leng M, Locker D. DSP1, an HMG-like protein, is involved in the regulation of homeotic genes. Genetics. 2001;157:237-44 pubmed..We propose that DSP1 protein is a chromatin remodeling factor, acting as a trx-G or a Pc-G protein depending on the considered function. ..
- Vázquez M, Rodríguez R, Zurita M. A new peroxinectin-like gene preferentially expressed during oogenesis and early embryogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2002;212:526-9 pubmed..It is virtually absent at other stages of the Drosophila life cycle, suggesting that Dpxt function is restricted to the early stages of fly development. ..
- Jin Y, Xu J, Yin M, Lu Y, Hu L, Li P, et al. Brahma is essential for Drosophila intestinal stem cell proliferation and regulated by Hippo signaling. elife. 2013;2:e00999 pubmed publisher..Our findings highlighted the importance of Hpo signaling in regulating epigenetic components such as Brm to control downstream transcription and hence ISC proliferation. DOI:http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.00999.001. ..
- Anderson A, Galko M. Rapid clearance of epigenetic protein reporters from wound edge cells in Drosophila larvae does not depend on the JNK or PDGFR/VEGFR signaling pathways. Regeneration (Oxf). 2014;1:11-25 pubmed..Three downregulated proteins, Osa, Kismet, and Spt6, are generally associated with active chromatin, while four others, Sin3A, Sap130, Mi-2, and ..
- Milan M, Pham T, Cohen S. Osa modulates the expression of Apterous target genes in the Drosophila wing. Mech Dev. 2004;121:491-7 pubmed..We have found Osa, a member of the Brahma chromatin-remodeling complex, as a positive modulator of Apterous activity in the ..
- Petruk S, Smith S, Sedkov Y, Mazo A. Association of trxG and PcG proteins with the bxd maintenance element depends on transcriptional activity. Development. 2008;135:2383-90 pubmed publisher..There is, however, no overall synergism or antagonism between and within the trxG and PcG proteins and, instead, only subsets of trxG proteins act synergistically. ..
- Abrell S, Carrera P, Jackle H. A modifier screen of ectopic Krüppel activity identifies autosomal Drosophila chromosomal sites and genes required for normal eye development. Chromosoma. 2000;109:334-42 pubmed..Owing to the bias of the screening system applied, these modifier genes will be expressed and are likely to be required during Drosophila wild-type eye development. ..
- Martinho R, Kunwar P, Casanova J, Lehmann R. A noncoding RNA is required for the repression of RNApolII-dependent transcription in primordial germ cells. Curr Biol. 2004;14:159-65 pubmed..We further show that repression of somatic differentiation signals mediated by the Torso receptor-tyrosine kinase is important for germline development. ..
- Mishra K, Chopra V, Srinivasan A, Mishra R. Trl-GAGA directly interacts with lola like and both are part of the repressive complex of Polycomb group of genes. Mech Dev. 2003;120:681-9 pubmed..These observations suggest a possible mechanism of how Trl-GAGA plays a role in maintaining the repressed state of target genes involving lolal, which may function as a mediator to recruit PcG complexes. ..
- Smulders Srinivasan T, Szakmary A, Lin H. A Drosophila chromatin factor interacts with the Piwi-interacting RNA mechanism in niche cells to regulate germline stem cell self-renewal. Genetics. 2010;186:573-83 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel epigenetic mechanism involving Corto and Piwi that defines the fate and signaling function of niche cells in maintaining GSCs. ..
- Remaud S, Audibert A, Gho M. S-phase favours notch cell responsiveness in the Drosophila bristle lineage. PLoS ONE. 2008;3:e3646 pubmed publisher..We suggest that high-order chromatin structures associated with the S-phase create favourable conditions that increase the efficiency of the transcriptional machinery with respect to N-target genes. ..
- Wang H, Wang K, Xiao G, Ma J, Wang B, Shen S, et al. Molecular Mechanisms for High Hydrostatic Pressure-Induced Wing Mutagenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. Sci Rep. 2015;5:14965 pubmed publisher..This study revealed the mutagenic mechanisms of HHP-induced mutagenesis in D. melanogaster and provided a new model for the study of evolution on organisms. ..
- Moshkin Y, Chalkley G, Kan T, Reddy B, Ozgur Z, van Ijcken W, et al. Remodelers organize cellular chromatin by counteracting intrinsic histone-DNA sequence preferences in a class-specific manner. Mol Cell Biol. 2012;32:675-88 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the cellular nucleosome landscape is the result of the balance between DNA sequence-driven nucleosome placement and active nucleosome repositioning by remodelers and the transcription machinery. ..
- Lopez A, Higuet D, Rosset R, Deutsch J, Peronnet F. corto genetically interacts with Pc-G and trx-G genes and maintains the anterior boundary of Ultrabithorax expression in Drosophila larvae. Mol Genet Genomics. 2001;266:572-83 pubmed..corto also genetically interacts with a number of trx-G genes (ash1, kismet, kohtalo, moira, osa, Trithorax-like and Vha55)...
- Brooks A, Yang L, Duff M, Hansen K, Park J, Dudoit S, et al. Conservation of an RNA regulatory map between Drosophila and mammals. Genome Res. 2011;21:193-202 pubmed publisher..This observation suggests that the regulatory codes of individual RNA binding proteins may be nearly immutable, yet the regulatory modules controlled by these proteins are highly evolvable. ..
- Bejarano F, Busturia A. Function of the Trithorax-like gene during Drosophila development. Dev Biol. 2004;268:327-41 pubmed..We also suggest that GAGA factor may not have a dual activator/repressor function. Rather, Trithorax-like mutations may produce dual loss of activation and loss of repression effects. ..
- Mathew D, Ataman B, Chen J, Zhang Y, Cumberledge S, Budnik V. Wingless signaling at synapses is through cleavage and nuclear import of receptor DFrizzled2. Science. 2005;310:1344-7 pubmed..We conclude that, at synapses, Wingless signal transduction occurs through the nuclear localization of DFrizzled2-C for potential transcriptional regulation of synapse development. ..
- Sollars V, Lu X, Xiao L, Wang X, Garfinkel M, Ruden D. Evidence for an epigenetic mechanism by which Hsp90 acts as a capacitor for morphological evolution. Nat Genet. 2003;33:70-4 pubmed..These findings suggest that Hsp90 acts as a capacitor for morphological evolution through epigenetic and genetic mechanisms. ..