Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: os
Alias: CG5993, Dmel\CG5993, UPD, Upd, Upd1, bdw, l(1)YC43, l(1)YM55, odsy, sis-C, sis-c, sisC, unp, upa, upd, upd1, CG5993-PA, CG5993-PB, CG5993-PC, Unpaired/Out-stretched, bending-wings, os-PA, os-PB, os-PC, outstreched, outstretched small eye, outstretched-smalleye, sisterless c, small-eye, unpaired, unpaired 1, upd homolog
Species: fruit fly
- Dosage requirements for runt in the segmentation of Drosophila embryosJ P Gergen
Cell 45:289-99. 1986..Significantly, increased runt+ dosage causes an anti-runt phenotype consisting of periodic pattern deletions that are out of phase with those caused by runt mutations...
- Dedifferentiating spermatogonia outcompete somatic stem cells for niche occupancy in the Drosophila testisX Rebecca Sheng
Department of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell Stem Cell 5:191-203. 2009....
- Zfh-1 controls somatic stem cell self-renewal in the Drosophila testis and nonautonomously influences germline stem cell self-renewalJudith L Leatherman
Department of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA 19104, USA
Cell Stem Cell 3:44-54. 2008..In contrast, germline-intrinsic STAT activation was insufficient for GSC renewal. These data reveal unexpected complexity in cell interactions in the niche, implicating CPCs in GSC self-renewal...
- Regulation of adult stem cell behavior by nutrient signalingLei Wang
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, CA, USA
Cell Cycle 10:2628-34. 2011..Here we discuss our data regarding the effects and mechanisms by which changes in systemic nutritional conditions may influence the maintenance and activity of adult stem cells via insulin signaling...
- Male and female Drosophila germline stem cells: two versions of immortalityMargaret T Fuller
Departments of Developmental Biology and Genetics, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305, USA
Science 316:402-4. 2007..Comparing these two stem cells and their niches in detail is likely to reveal how a common heritage has been adapted to the differing requirements of male and female gamete production...
- Competitiveness for the niche and mutual dependence of the germline and somatic stem cells in the Drosophila testis are regulated by the JAK/STAT signalingShree Ram Singh
Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
J Cell Physiol 223:500-10. 2010..The hub expresses a growth factor unpaired (Upd) that activates the Janus kinase/signal transducer and activator of transcription (JAK/STAT) pathway in GSCs ..
- GFP reporters detect the activation of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway in vivoErika A Bach
Pharmacology Department, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016 6402, USA
Gene Expr Patterns 7:323-31. 2007..JAK/STAT pathway activity at larval stages, as their expression pattern overlaps that of the activating ligand unpaired in imaginal discs. Moreover, the STAT92E-GFP reporters are activated by ectopic JAK/STAT signaling...
- The Drosophila cytokine receptor Domeless controls border cell migration and epithelial polarization during oogenesisChristian Ghiglione
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer, UMR 6543 CNRS, Parc Valrose, 06108 Nice Cedex 2, France
Development 129:5437-47. 2002..During embryogenesis, transduction of the Unpaired [Upd; also known as Outstretched (Os)] ligand through the JAK/STAT pathway requires Domeless, a putative membrane ..
- A Drosophila PIAS homologue negatively regulates stat92EA Betz
Laboratories of Molecular Cell Biology and Genetics, The Rockefeller University, New York, NY 10021, USA
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A 98:9563-8. 2001..To this end we use a LOF allele and conditionally overexpressed dpias in JAK-STAT pathway mutant backgrounds. We conclude that the correct dpias/stat92E ratio is crucial for blood cell and eye development...
- The JAK/STAT pathway is required for border cell migration during Drosophila oogenesisSimone Beccari
Developmental Biology Programme, European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117, Heidelberg, Germany
Mech Dev 111:115-23. 2002..The activating ligand for the pathway, Unpaired, is expressed in polar cells...
- Interpretation of the UPD/JAK/STAT morphogen gradient in Drosophila follicle cellsMichelle Starz-Gaiano
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, USA
Cell Cycle 8:2917-25. 2009..Under the influence of a graded signal, Unpaired (UPD), JAK/STAT becomes activated first in a graded fashion...
- An innate immune response of blood cells to tumors and tissue damage in DrosophilaJose Carlos Pastor-Pareja
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Genetics, Yale University School of Medicine, 295 Congress Avenue, New Haven, CT 06519, USA
Dis Model Mech 1:144-54; discussion 153. 2008..Our findings reveal common mechanisms in the response to tumors and wounds in flies. A similar innate reaction may underlie the response to tumors and tissue damage in vertebrates and humans...
- Signaling role of hemocytes in Drosophila JAK/STAT-dependent response to septic injuryHerve Agaisse
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Dev Cell 5:441-50. 2003..We show that septic injury triggers the hemocyte-specific expression of upd3, a gene encoding a novel Upd-like cytokine that is necessary for the JAK/STAT-dependent activation of totA in the Drosophila counterpart of the ..
- Stem cell self-renewal specified by JAK-STAT activation in response to a support cell cueA A Kiger
Department of Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine, Stanford, CA 94305 5329, USA
Science 294:2542-5. 2001..Hub cells express the ligand Unpaired (Upd), which activates the Janus kinase-signal transducer and activator of transcription (JAK-STAT) pathway in ..
- Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway reveals distinct initiation and reinforcement steps in early transcription of SxlFrank W Avila
Department of Biology, Texas A and M University, 3258 TAMU, College Station, TX 77843, USA
Curr Biol 17:643-8. 2007..Most XSEs encode transcription factors that bind SxlPe, but the XSE unpaired (upd) encodes a secreted ligand for the JAK/STAT pathway [5-7]...
- Long-range effect of upd, a ligand for Jak/STAT pathway, on cell cycle in Drosophila eye developmentYu Chen Tsai
Institute of Genetics, National Yang Ming University, Taipei, Taiwan, Republic of China
Genesis 39:141-53. 2004b>unpaired (upd) encodes a ligand for the Jak/STAT signaling pathway in Drosophila. In the second instar and early third larval eye disc, upd is expressed in the center of the posterior margin...
- JAK/STAT signaling promotes regional specification by negatively regulating wingless expression in DrosophilaLaura A Ekas
Pharmacology Department, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016 6402, USA
Development 133:4721-9. 2006..Overexpression of the JAK/STAT activating ligand Unpaired in the eye leads to loss of wg expression and ectopic morphogenetic furrow initiation from the lateral margins...
- Multipotent somatic stem cells contribute to the stem cell niche in the Drosophila testisJustin Voog
Laboratory of Genetics, The Salk Institute for Biological Studies, La Jolla, California 92037, USA
Nature 454:1132-6. 2008..These data highlight the dynamic relationship between stem cells and the niche and provide insight into genetic programmes that regulate niche size and function to support normal tissue homeostasis and organ regeneration throughout life...
- The Drosophila ovarian and testis stem cell niches: similar somatic stem cells and signalsEva Decotto
Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Laboratories, Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Dev Cell 9:501-10. 2005..These observations reveal striking similarities in the stem cell niches of male and female gonads, and suggest that they are largely governed by common mechanisms...
- Cloning and expression of Drosophila SOCS36E and its potential regulation by the JAK/STAT pathwayPeter Karsten
Department of Molecular Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Mech Dev 117:343-6. 2002..SOCS36E is expressed in an essentially identical pattern to the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway ligand unpaired (Upd)...
- The stem-cell niche theory: lessons from fliesHaifan Lin
Department of Cell Biology, Box 3709, Duke University Medical Center, Durham, North Carolina 27710, USA
Nat Rev Genet 3:931-40. 2002..These findings are illuminating our understanding of the self-renewing mechanisms of tissue stem cells in general...
- vps25 mosaics display non-autonomous cell survival and overgrowth, and autonomous apoptosisHans Martin Herz
University of Heidelberg ZMBH, Im Neuenheimer Feld 282, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Development 133:1871-80. 2006..In summary, the phenotypic analysis of vps25 mutants highlights the importance of receptor downregulation by endosomal protein sorting for appropriate tissue homeostasis, and may serve as a model for human cancer...
- Ken & barbie selectively regulates the expression of a subset of Jak/STAT pathway target genesNatalia I Arbouzova
Department of Molecular Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Curr Biol 16:80-8. 2006..Ken therefore represents a novel regulator of JAK/STAT signaling whose dynamic spatial and temporal expression is capable of selectively modulating the transcriptional repertoire elicited by activated STAT92E in vivo...
- Characterisation of Upd2, a Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway ligandJames Castelli Gair Hombria
Centro Andaluz de Biologia del Desarrollo, CSIC Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Carretera de Utrera, km 1, 41013 Seville, Spain
Dev Biol 288:420-33. 2005..we describe our analysis of the only invertebrate JAK/STAT pathway ligands identified to date, the Drosophila unpaired-like family...
- Tumor suppressor properties of the ESCRT-II complex component Vps25 in DrosophilaBarry J Thompson
European Molecular Biology Laboratory, Meyerhofstrasse 1, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Dev Cell 9:711-20. 2005..These results highlight the importance of endocytic trafficking in regulating signaling and epithelial organization and suggest a possible role for ESCRT components in human cancer...
- Mutations in erupted, the Drosophila ortholog of mammalian tumor susceptibility gene 101, elicit non-cell-autonomous overgrowthKenneth H Moberg
Department of Cell Biology, Emory University School of Medicine, Atlanta, Georgia 30322, USA
Dev Cell 9:699-710. 2005..This causes increased Notch-mediated signaling and ectopic expression of the Notch target gene unpaired (upd), which encodes the secreted ligand of the JAK-STAT pathway...
- Novel level of signalling control in the JAK/STAT pathway revealed by in situ visualisation of protein-protein interaction during Drosophila developmentStephen Brown
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, UK
Development 130:3077-84. 2003..These results reveal a novel level of JAK/STAT signalling regulation that could also apply to vertebrates...
- The Drosophila tumor suppressor vps25 prevents nonautonomous overproliferation by regulating notch traffickingThomas Vaccari
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, California 94720, USA
Dev Cell 9:687-98. 2005..Increased Notch activity leads to ectopic production of the mitogenic JAK-STAT pathway ligand Unpaired, which is secreted from mutant cells to induce overproliferation of the surrounding epithelium...
- A novel functional activator of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway, unpaired2, is revealed by an in vivo reporter of pathway activationM Melissa Gilbert
Graduate Program in Genetics, Stony Brook University, Stony Brook, NY 11794 5222, USA
Mech Dev 122:939-48. 2005..sites can be detected throughout embryogenesis, and is responsive to the Janus Kinase hopscotch and the ligand upd. The system has enabled us to identify the effect of a predicted gene related to upd, designated upd2, whose ..
- Stem cells find their nicheA Spradling
HHMI Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, Baltimore, Maryland 21210, USA
Nature 414:98-104. 2001..These studies are beginning to unify our understanding of stem cell regulation at the cellular and molecular levels, and promise to advance efforts to use stem cells therapeutically...
- The fertile field of Drosophila Jak/STAT signallingJames Castelli Gair Hombria
Department of Zoology, Downing Street, University of Cambridge, CB2 3EJ, Cambridge, UK
Curr Biol 12:R569-75. 2002..Drosophila's streamlined pathway offers a simple model to find new elements and analyse the function of existing ones...
- The Drosophila homolog of the human tumor suppressor gene BHD interacts with the JAK-STAT and Dpp signaling pathways in regulating male germline stem cell maintenanceS R Singh
Mouse Cancer Genetics Program, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Oncogene 25:5933-41. 2006..of DBHD gene activity suppresses the GSC overproliferation phenotype associated with overexpression of either unpaired (upd) or decapentaplegic (dpp)...
- Plasticity of Drosophila Stat DNA binding shows an evolutionary basis for Stat transcription factor preferencesMaría Luisa Rivas
Centro Andaluz de Biologia del Desarrollo, CSIC UPO, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Carretera de Utrera Km 1, 41013 Seville, Spain
EMBO Rep 9:1114-20. 2008..Our results indicate that the ancestral STAT protein had the capacity to bind to 3n and 4n sites and that specific STAT binding preferences evolved with the radiation of the vertebrate STAT family...
- Polarized subcellular localization of Jak/STAT components is required for efficient signalingSol Sotillos
CABD CSIC, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, 41013 Sevilla, Spain
Curr Biol 18:624-9. 2008..Our results also suggest that receptor polarization in the ectoderm cell membrane restricts the cell's response to ligands provided by neighboring cells...
- Drosophila unpaired encodes a secreted protein that activates the JAK signaling pathwayD A Harrison
Department of Genetics, Boston, Massachusetts 02115 USA
Genes Dev 12:3252-63. 1998..We have characterized the unpaired (upd) gene, which displays the same distinctive embryonic mutant defects as mutations in the Drosophila JAK (..
- Identification of the first invertebrate interleukin JAK/STAT receptor, the Drosophila gene domelessS Brown
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Downing Street, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 11:1700-5. 2001..This suggests that the vertebrate families evolved from a single ancestral receptor that also gave rise to dome...
- Control of stem cell self-renewal in Drosophila spermatogenesis by JAK-STAT signalingN Tulina
Department of Embryology, Carnegie Institution of Washington, 115 West University Parkway, Baltimore, MD 21210, USA
Science 294:2546-9. 2001..The hub specifically expresses Unpaired, a ligand activating the JAK-STAT (Janus kinase-signal transducer and activator of transcription) signaling ..
- The roles of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathwayM P Zeidler
Department of Genetics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts, MA 02115, USA
Oncogene 19:2598-606. 2000..Oncogene (2000)...
- mom identifies a receptor for the Drosophila JAK/STAT signal transduction pathway and encodes a protein distantly related to the mammalian cytokine receptor familyHua Wei Chen
The Laboratory of Immunobiology, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Genes Dev 16:388-98. 2002..We named this gene master of marelle (mom). Genetic analyses place mom's function between upd (the ligand) and hop...
- Polarity determination in the Drosophila eye: a novel role for unpaired and JAK/STAT signalingM P Zeidler
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Genes Dev 13:1342-53. 1999..We show that a localized source of the pathway ligand, Unpaired, is present at the midline of the developing eye, which is capable of activating the JAK/STAT pathway over long ..
- Mutations in eukaryotic release factors 1 and 3 act as general nonsense suppressors in DrosophilaAnna T Chao
Department of Biology, Duke University, Durham, North Carolina 27708 1000, USA
Genetics 165:601-12. 2003..Our findings have important implications for assigning null mutant phenotypes and for selecting appropriate alleles to use in suppressor screens...
- Requirement for JAK/STAT signaling throughout border cell migration in DrosophilaDebra L Silver
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 212052, USA
Development 132:3483-92. 2005..Together, our findings suggest that the requirement for STAT in border cells extends beyond the initial specification and delamination of cells from the epithelium...
- Opposing roles for Drosophila JAK/STAT signalling during cellular proliferationTina Mukherjee
Department of Molecular Developmental Biology, Max Planck Institute for Biophysical Chemistry, Am Fassberg 11, 37077 Gottingen, Germany
Oncogene 24:2503-11. 2005..Pro- and antiproliferative roles therefore represent ancestral activities conserved through evolution and subsequently assigned to distinct molecules...
- Paracrine signaling through the JAK/STAT pathway activates invasive behavior of ovarian epithelial cells in DrosophilaD L Silver
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Cell 107:831-41. 2001..The ligand for this pathway, Unpaired (UPD), is expressed by two central cells within the migratory cell cluster...
- Coordinated control of cell adhesion, polarity, and cytoskeleton underlies Hox-induced organogenesis in DrosophilaBridget Lovegrove
Department of Zoology, University of Cambridge, Cambridge CB2 3EJ, United Kingdom
Curr Biol 16:2206-16. 2006..Importantly, very few of the direct Hox targets known are "realizator" genes involved directly in the cellular processes of organogenesis...
- The JAK/STAT pathway and Drosophila developmentH Luo
The Cardiovascular Research Institute, Division of Molecular Cardiology, The Texas A and M University System Health Science Center, College of Medicine, Temple, Texas 76504, USA
Bioessays 23:1138-47. 2001..Hence, the JAK/STAT pathway in Drosophila serves as an attractive model for in vivo functional analyses of JAK/STAT signaling...
- JAK signaling is somatically required for follicle cell differentiation in DrosophilaJennifer R McGregor
University of Kentucky, T H Morgan School of Biological Sciences, 101 Morgan Building, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Development 129:705-17. 2002..Here we describe several roles for JAK signaling in Drosophila oogenesis. The gene for a JAK pathway ligand, unpaired, is expressed specifically in the polar follicle cells, two pairs of somatic cells at the anterior and posterior ..
- A gradient of JAK pathway activity patterns the anterior-posterior axis of the follicular epitheliumRongwen Xi
University of Kentucky, Department of Biology, 101 Morgan Building, Lexington, KY 40506, USA
Dev Cell 4:167-77. 2003..Here we demonstrate that the graded activity of the Janus kinase (JAK) pathway, stimulated by the Unpaired ligand, patterns the anterior-posterior axis of the follicular epithelium...
- Loss of the Polycomb group gene polyhomeotic induces non-autonomous cell overproliferationSiqian Feng
Department of Entomology, University of Maryland, 4112 Plant Sciences Building, College Park, Maryland 20742, USA
EMBO Rep 12:157-63. 2011..We propose that PcG misregulation promotes tumorigenesis through several cellular mechanisms...
- The Drosophila BCL6 homolog Ken and Barbie promotes somatic stem cell self-renewal in the testis nicheMelanie Issigonis
Department of Cell Biology, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205, USA
Dev Biol 368:181-92. 2012..Studies of ken may inform our understanding of its vertebrate orthologue B-Cell Lymphoma 6 (BCL6) and how misregulation of this oncogene leads to human lymphomas...
- Comparative analysis of ESCRT-I, ESCRT-II and ESCRT-III function in Drosophila by efficient isolation of ESCRT mutantsThomas Vaccari
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94702, USA
J Cell Sci 122:2413-23. 2009....
- The four-jointed gene is required in the Drosophila eye for ommatidial polarity specificationM P Zeidler
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, 02115, USA
Curr Biol 9:1363-72. 1999..These three pathways are thought to act by setting up a gradient of a signalling molecule (or molecules) often referred to as the 'second signal'. Thus far, no candidate for a second signal has been identified...
- The JAK/STAT pathway regulates proximo-distal patterning in DrosophilaAidee Ayala-Camargo
Pharmacology Department, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016 6402, USA
Dev Dyn 236:2721-30. 2007..We also show that the pathway ligand Unpaired is expressed in two domains in leg and antenna that abuts those of wingless and decapentaplegic...
- Transformation of eye to antenna by misexpression of a single geneHao A Duong
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California Los Angeles, 607 Charles E Young Drive East, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1569, USA
Mech Dev 125:130-41. 2008..The finding that this transformation occurs only in the eye disc, and not in other imaginal discs, suggests a close developmental and therefore evolutionary relationship between eyes and antennae...
- Drosophila optic lobe neuroblasts triggered by a wave of proneural gene expression that is negatively regulated by JAK/STATTetsuo Yasugi
Laboratory of Pattern Formation, Institute of Molecular and Cellular Biosciences, The University of Tokyo, Yayoi 1 1 1, Bunkyo ku, Tokyo 113 0032, Japan
Development 135:1471-80. 2008..Thus, proneural wave precedes and induces transition of NE cells to NBs. Unpaired (Upd), the ligand for the JAK/STAT signaling pathway, is expressed in the most lateral NE cells...
- JAKs and STATs in invertebrate model organismsC R Dearolf
Department of Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, USA
Cell Mol Life Sci 55:1578-84. 1999..Future research utilizing these organisms should continue to provide insights into the roles and regulation of these proteins and their signaling pathways...
- Polarity determination in the Drosophila eyeH Strutt
Developmental Genetics Programme, University of Sheffield, Firth Court, Western Bank, Sheffield, S10 2TN, UK
Curr Opin Genet Dev 9:442-6. 1999..Furthermore, important functions have been elucidated for Notch signalling in specifying the position of the axis of symmetry and then later in development in interpreting gradient information...
- SOCS36E specifically interferes with Sevenless signaling during Drosophila eye developmentIsabel Almudi
Departament de Genetica, Facultat de Biologia and Institut de Biomedicina IBUB, Universitat de Barcelona, Diagonal 645, 08028 Barcelona, Spain
Dev Biol 326:212-23. 2009..The SOCS family of adaptor proteins may have evolved as modulators of specific signaling pathways that contribute to the robustness and precision of cell fate specification...
- Regenerative growth in Drosophila imaginal discs is regulated by Wingless and MycRachel K Smith-Bolton
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720, USA
Dev Cell 16:797-809. 2009..This system is conducive to forward genetic screens, enabling an unbiased search for genes that regulate both the extent of and the capacity for regeneration...
- Cyclin D-Cdk4 and cyclin E-Cdk2 regulate the Jak/STAT signal transduction pathway in DrosophilaXiu Chen
Laboratory of Immunobiology, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, MD 21702, USA
Dev Cell 4:179-90. 2003..STAT92E regulates gene expression for various biological processes, including the endocycle S phase. These data suggest that Cyclin D-Cdk4 and Cyclin E-Cdk2 play more versatile roles in Drosophila development...
- The position and function of the Notch-mediated eye growth organizer: the roles of JAK/STAT and four-jointedFrancisco Jose Gutierrez-Aviño
Instituto de Neurociencias, Consejo Superior de Investigaciones Cientificas, Universidad Miguel Hernandez, Campus de Sant Joan, Avd Santiago Ramon y Cajal s n Crta Alicante Valencia km 87, Alicante, Apartado 18, E 03550, San Juan de Alicante, Spain
EMBO Rep 10:1051-8. 2009..selector Iroquois complex defines the position of the organizer at the mid-first instar, and through its ligand, unpaired, the Janus kinase (JAK)/signal transducers and activator of transcription (STAT) pathway is thought to mediate ..
- The function of hairy-related bHLH repressor proteins in cell fate decisionsA Fisher
Department of Cell Biology and Anatomy, Cornell University Medical College, New York, New York, USA
Bioessays 20:298-306. 1998..This general function in cell fate specification has been conserved from Drosophila to vertebrates and has implications for human disease pathogenesis...
- A tumor suppressor activity of Drosophila Polycomb genes mediated by JAK-STAT signalingAnne Kathrin Classen
Department of Molecular and Cellular Biology, University of California, Berkeley, California, USA
Nat Genet 41:1150-5. 2009..is strongly and specifically activated in mutant tissue; activation is driven by transcriptional upregulation of Unpaired (Upd, also known as Outstretched, Os) family ligands...
- JAK/STAT signaling coordinates stem cell proliferation and multilineage differentiation in the Drosophila intestinal stem cell lineageKatherine Beebe
Washington University School of Medicine, Department of Developmental Biology, Campus Box 8103, 660 South Euclid Avenue, St Louis, MO 63110, USA
Dev Biol 338:28-37. 2010....
- Cooperative regulation of the induction of the novel antibacterial Listericin by peptidoglycan recognition protein LE and the JAK-STAT pathwayAkira Goto
Graduate School of Pharmaceutical Science, Tohoku University, Sendai 980 8578, Japan
J Biol Chem 285:15731-8. 2010..Based on these findings, we propose that the Listericin gene encodes a novel antibacterial peptide-like protein whose induction is cooperatively regulated by PGRP-LE and the JAK-STAT pathway...
- chinmo is a functional effector of the JAK/STAT pathway that regulates eye development, tumor formation, and stem cell self-renewal in DrosophilaMaria Sol Flaherty
Pharmacology Department, New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY 10016, USA
Dev Cell 18:556-68. 2010..Like hyperactivated Stat92E, Chinmo misexpression in CySCs is sufficient to maintain GSCs nonautonomously. Chinmo is therefore a key effector of JAK/STAT signaling in a variety of developmental and pathological contexts...
- Characterization of a dominant-active STAT that promotes tumorigenesis in DrosophilaLaura A Ekas
Pharmacology Department, New York University School of Medicine, New York, New York 10016 6402, USA
Dev Biol 344:621-36. 2010....
- Secretion of Wnt ligands requires Evi, a conserved transmembrane proteinKerstin Bartscherer
German Cancer Research Center, Boveri Group Signaling and Functional Genomics, Im Neuenheimer Feld 580, 69120 Heidelberg, Germany
Cell 125:523-33. 2006..Our results show that Wg is retained by evi mutant cells and suggest that evi is the founding member of a gene family specifically required for Wg/Wnt secretion...
- Embryo morphogenesis: getting down to cells and moleculesLila Solnica-Krezel
Vanderbilt University, VU Station B 351634, Nashville, TN 37235 1634, USA
Development 130:4229-33. 2003
- Biological functions of the ISWI chromatin remodeling complex NURFPaul Badenhorst
Laboratory of Molecular Cell Biology, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda Maryland 20892 4255, USA
Genes Dev 16:3186-98. 2002..Finally, mutants in NURF subunits exhibit neoplastic transformation of larval blood cells that causes melanotic tumors to form...
- A Notch/Delta-dependent relay mechanism establishes anterior-posterior polarity in DrosophilaIsabel L Torres
The Wellcome Trust Cancer Research UK Institute and Department of Genetics, University of Cambridge, Tennis Court Road, Cambridge CB2 1QR, United Kingdom
Dev Cell 5:547-58. 2003..The anterior-posterior axis is therefore established by a relay mechanism, which propagates polarity from one cyst to the next...
- Genetic analysis of the aberrant behavior of an X-chromosome duplication in the germ line of Drosophila melanogaster malesS J Gabay
Genetics 65:249-65. 1970
- JAK/STAT signalling in Drosophila controls cell motility during germ cell migrationStephen Brown
Faculty of Life Sciences, University of Manchester, C 1247 Michael Smith Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PT, U K
Dev Dyn 235:958-66. 2006..Interestingly, activation of the JAK/STAT pathway is required for these filopodia to form, and ectopic JAK/STAT activation enhances their formation...
- Organizer activity of the polar cells during Drosophila oogenesisMuriel Grammont
Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Waksman Institute and Department of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, Rutgers The State University of New Jersey, Piscataway NJ 08854, USA
Development 129:5131-40. 2002..The origin of asymmetry during Drosophila development can thus be traced back to the specification of the polar cells during early oogenesis...
- Coactivation of STAT and Ras is required for germ cell proliferation and invasive migration in DrosophilaJinghong Li
Department of Biomedical Genetics, University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY 14642, USA
Dev Cell 5:787-98. 2003..A requirement for RTK in Drosophila PGC development is analogous to the mouse, in which the RTK c-kit is required, suggesting a conserved molecular mechanism governing PGC behavior in flies and mammals...
- Cooperation of JAK/STAT and Notch signaling in the Drosophila foregutFrank Josten
Universitat Bonn, Institut für Molekulare Physiologie und Entwicklungsbiologie, Abteilung für molekulare Entwicklungsbiologie, D 53115 Bonn, Germany
Dev Biol 267:181-9. 2004..Whereas the JAK/STAT receptor is expressed in all proventricular precursor cells, expression of upd encoding its ligand and of STAT92E, the signal transducer of the pathway, is locally restricted to cells that ..
- The roles of JAK/STAT signaling in Drosophila immune responsesHerve Agaisse
Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA 02115, USA
Immunol Rev 198:72-82. 2004....
- A cytokine in the Drosophila stress responseDan Hultmark
Umea Centre for Molecular Pathogenesis, Umea University, S 901 87, Umea, Sweden
Dev Cell 5:360-1. 2003..However, in this issue of Developmental Cell, show that cytokines do play a role in mediating an acute phase response in this organism...
- Expression of COPI components during development of Drosophila melanogasterNicole C Grieder
Biozentrum der Universitat Basel, Abteilung Zellbiologie, Klingelbergstrasse 50 70, CH 4056 Basel, Switzerland
Gene Expr Patterns 6:11-21. 2005....
- A Drosophila derailed homolog, doughnut, expressed in invaginating cells during embryogenesisS Savant-Bhonsale
Department of Biological Chemistry, Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, 725 North Wolfe Street, Baltimore, MD 21205 2185, USA
Gene 231:155-61. 1999..Many aspects of the expression pattern resembled that of unpaired, a gene that encodes a secreted protein that stimulates the Drosophila JAK/STAT signaling pathway...
- Establishment and refinement of segmental pattern in the Drosophila embryo: spatial control of engrailed expression by pair-rule genesS DiNardo
Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics, University of California, San Francisco 94143
Genes Dev 1:1212-25. 1987....
- The Drm-Bowl-Lin relief-of-repression hierarchy controls fore- and hindgut patterning and morphogenesisKatherine A Johansen
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California, Box 160606, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1606, USA
Mech Dev 120:1139-51. 2003..then acts to promote spatially localized expression of genes (particularly the JAK/STAT pathway ligand encoded by upd) that control fore- and hindgut morphogenesis...
- Localized Notch signal acts through eyg and upd to promote global growth in Drosophila eyeJu Lan Chao
Institute of Genetics, National Yang Ming University, Taipei 111, Taiwan, Republic of China
Development 131:3839-47. 2004..In addition, we showed that N and eyg could induce expression of upd, which encodes the ligand for the Jak/STAT pathway and acts over long distance to promote cell proliferation...
- Dynamics of the basement membrane in invasive epithelial clusters in DrosophilaCaroline Medioni
Institute of Signaling, Developmental Biology and Cancer, UMR 6543 CNRS, University of Nice Sophia Antipolis, Parc Valrose, 06108 Nice, Cedex 2, France
Development 132:3069-77. 2005..The dynamics of the BM represents a marker of migratory BC, revealing a novel developmentally regulated behaviour of BM coupled to epithelial cell invasiveness...
- Drumstick is a zinc finger protein that antagonizes Lines to control patterning and morphogenesis of the Drosophila hindgutRyan B Green
Molecular Biology Institute, UCLA, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1606, USA
Development 129:3645-56. 2002..We have thus defined a pathway in which a spatially localized zinc finger protein antagonizes a globally expressed protein, thereby leading to specification of a domain (the small intestine) necessary for oriented cell rearrangement...
- Molecular control of spermatogonial stem cell self-renewal by glycoprotein unpaired, a cytokine homolog, in Drosophila melanogasterN M Tulina
Engelhardt Institute of Molecular Biology, Russian Academy of Sciences, ul Vavilova 32, Moscow, 117984 Russia
Dokl Biol Sci 388:79-82. 2003
- The control of sexual identity in the Drosophila germlineAbbie Casper
Department of Biology, 302 Mudd Hall, Johns Hopkins University, 3400 North Charles Street, Baltimore, MD 21218, USA
Development 133:2783-91. 2006..Here, we explore how sexual identity is established in the Drosophila germline, how this affects other aspects of germ cell development and what studies in Drosophila can teach us about mammalian germ cells...
- Signaling meets chromatin during tissue regeneration in DrosophilaCédric Maurange
MRC National Institute for Medical Research, The Ridgeway, Mill Hill, London, NW7 1AA, UK
Curr Opin Genet Dev 16:485-9. 2006..Understanding how signaling pathways can integrate to switch determined cells into multipotent cells has a great medical potential, especially in the field of tissue engineering and remodeling...
- Genetic analysis of the Shaker gene complex of Drosophila melanogasterA Ferrus
Instituto Cajal, CSIC, Madrid, Spain
Genetics 125:383-98. 1990..We discuss the relationship between the genetic organization of ShC and the functional coupling of potassium currents with the other functions encoded in the complex...
- Development. Staying a boy foreverS A Wasserman
Center for Molecular Genetics, Section of Cell and Developmental Biology, University of California, San Diego, La Jolla, CA 92093 0634, USA
Science 294:2495-7. 2001
- Sex determination: co-opted signals determine genderM P Zeidler
Hughes Medical Institute, Department of Genetics, Harvard Medical School, 200 Longwood Avenue, Boston, Massachusetts 02115, USA
Curr Biol 10:R682-4. 2000The Drosophila JAK-STAT pathway and its ligand Unpaired are required for a wide range of developmental processes...
- The JAK/STAT signaling pathway is required for the initial choice of sexual identity in Drosophila melanogasterT M Jinks
Department of Molecular Biology, Princeton University, New Jersey 08544, USA
Mol Cell 5:581-7. 2000..GOF activity requires the X-linked unpaired (upd) gene, which encodes a ligand for the Drosophila JAK/STAT signaling pathway...
- Localized JAK/STAT signaling is required for oriented cell rearrangement in a tubular epitheliumKatherine A Johansen
Department of Molecular, Cell, and Developmental Biology, University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA 90095 1606, USA
Development 130:135-45. 2003..The difference in effect between localized expression of ligand (Unpaired) and dominant active JAK (Hopscotch) demonstrates that the ligand plays a cell non-autonomous role in hindgut ..
- Rap-GEF signaling controls stem cell anchoring to their niche through regulating DE-cadherin-mediated cell adhesion in the Drosophila testisHong Wang
The Laboratory of Immunobiology, National Institutes of Health National Cancer Institute at Frederick, Frederick, Maryland 21702, USA
Dev Cell 10:117-26. 2006..of 12 nondividing somatic cells, called the hub, identifies the stem cell niche by producing the growth factor Unpaired (Upd)...
- An extracellular activator of the Drosophila JAK/STAT pathway is a sex-determination signal elementL Sefton
Department of Molecular and Cell Biology, University of California, Berkeley 94720 3204, USA
Nature 405:970-3. 2000..activator of transcription' (STAT) signal transduction pathway and is allelic to outstretched (os, also called unpaired)...
- STAT signalling in cell proliferation and in developmentJ G Williams
Department of Anatomy and Physiology, University of Dundee, Wellcome Trust Building Complex, Dow Street, DD1 5EH, Dundee, UK
Curr Opin Genet Dev 10:503-7. 2000..Two different ways in which STAT signalling pathways can interface with Smad signalling pathways significantly increasing combinatorial signalling possibilities, have also been described...
- The evolution of the Drosophila sex-determination pathwayAndrew Pomiankowski
Department of Biology, University College, London NW1 2HE, United Kingdom
Genetics 166:1761-73. 2004..Our hypothesis is built on the available data from Drosophila and other insect species, and we point out where it is amenable to further experimental and comparative tests...
- Eye development: Notch lends a handednessS S Blair
Department of Zoology, University of Wisconsin, 250 N Mills Street, Madison, Wisconsin 53706, USA
Curr Biol 9:R356-60. 1999..Notch signalling helps determine this handedness, first by establishing a signalling center at the eye equator, and second by mediating a choice between two photoreceptor fates..
- Genetic analysis of contributions of dorsal group and JAK-Stat92E pathway genes to larval hemocyte concentration and the egg encapsulation response in DrosophilaRichard Paul Sorrentino
Department of Biology, City College and Graduate School and University Center of the City University of New York, New York, New York 10031, USA
Genetics 166:1343-56. 2004....
- Signaling Mechanisms of the Drosophila JAK/STAT PathwayHong Luo; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Technique to Obtain Intra-Locus Deletions in EukaryotesCharles Dearolf; Fiscal Year: 2003..However, this research could have a very high impact, providing a method to generate deletion mutations in any gene or chromosomal region for a wide range of organisms. ..
- A Novel Mutagenesis Technology for DrosophilaCharles Dearolf; Fiscal Year: 2003..It will also allow the recovery of mutations without any selection based upon phenotype. Finally, this technology should ultimately be applicable to other model genetic organisms as well as to Drosophila. ..
- REGULATION OF MEIOSIS IN SPERMATOGENESISSteven Wasserman; Fiscal Year: 2003..abstract_text> ..
- Role of the Archipelago gene in Drosophila tracheal morphogenesisKenneth H Moberg; Fiscal Year: 2010..Thus, we hypothesize that ago plays an important role in the homeostatic mechanisms that restrain tracheal branching. Our goal in Specific Aim 3 is to define this role and elucidate its molecular basis. ..