Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Orc3
Description: Origin recognition complex subunit 3
Alias: CG4088, DmORC3, DmOrc3, Dmel\CG4088, LAT, ORC, ORC3, l(2)49Fd, l(2)vr6, lat, latheo, orc3, vr-6, vr6, origin recognition complex subunit 3, CG4088-PA, CG4088-PB, Orc3-PA, Orc3-PB, latheo
Species: fruit fly
- van Swinderen B. Attention-like processes in Drosophila require short-term memory genes. Science. 2007;315:1590-3 pubmed..These processes were modulated by genes involved in short-term memory formation, namely dunce and rutabaga. Attention defects in these mutants were associated with distinct optomotor effects in behavioral assays. ..
- Mehren J, Ejima A, Griffith L. Unconventional sex: fresh approaches to courtship learning. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2004;14:745-50 pubmed..Advances in transgenic tools and developments in behavioral assays have increased the power of studying courtship learning in the fruit fly. ..
- Morley K, Montgomery G. The genetics of cognitive processes: candidate genes in humans and animals. Behav Genet. 2001;31:511-31 pubmed..This survey confirms that many genes are associated with cognitive variation and highlights the potential importance of animal models in the study of human cognition. ..
- Belvin M, Yin J. Drosophila learning and memory: recent progress and new approaches. Bioessays. 1997;19:1083-9 pubmed
- Pflumm M, Botchan M. Orc mutants arrest in metaphase with abnormally condensed chromosomes. Development. 2001;128:1697-707 pubmedThe origin recognition complex (ORC) is a six subunit complex required for eukaryotic DNA replication initiation and for silencing of the heterochromatic mating type loci in Saccharomyces cerevisiae...
- Park S, Asano M. The origin recognition complex is dispensable for endoreplication in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:12343-8 pubmed publisherThe origin recognition complex (ORC) is an essential component of the prereplication complex (pre-RC) in mitotic cell cycles. The role of ORC as a foundation to assemble the pre-RC is conserved from yeast to human...
- Wu C, Howe M. A genetic analysis of the Suppressor 2 of zeste complex of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;140:139-81 pubmed..Psc is a member of the homeotic Polycomb group of genes. A general discussion of the Polycomb and trithorax group of genes, position-effect variegation, transvection, chromosome pairing and chromatin structure is presented...
- Bleichert F, Botchan M, Berger J. Crystal structure of the eukaryotic origin recognition complex. Nature. 2015;519:321-6 pubmed publisher..In eukaryotes, the heterohexameric origin recognition complex (ORC) is essential for coordinating replication onset. Here we describe the crystal structure of Drosophila ORC at 3...
- Tully T, Boynton S, Brandes C, Dura J, Mihalek R, Preat T, et al. Genetic dissection of memory formation in Drosophila melanogaster. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1990;55:203-11 pubmed
- Ashburner M, Ball C, Blake J, Botstein D, Butler H, Cherry J, et al. Gene ontology: tool for the unification of biology. The Gene Ontology Consortium. Nat Genet. 2000;25:25-9 pubmed
- Waddell S, Quinn W. What can we teach Drosophila? What can they teach us?. Trends Genet. 2001;17:719-26 pubmed
- Tamura T, Chiang A, Ito N, Liu H, Horiuchi J, Tully T, et al. Aging specifically impairs amnesiac-dependent memory in Drosophila. Neuron. 2003;40:1003-11 pubmed..The absence of AMI in amn flies is restored by expression of an amn transgene predominantly in DPM cells. Thus, we propose that AMI in flies results from a specific decrease in amn-dependent MTM. ..
- Badugu R, Yoo Y, Singh P, Kellum R. Mutations in the heterochromatin protein 1 (HP1) hinge domain affect HP1 protein interactions and chromosomal distribution. Chromosoma. 2005;113:370-84 pubmed..Hypo-phosphorylated HP1 is associated with the DNA-binding activities of the origin recognition complex (ORC) and an HMG-like HP1/ORC-Associated Protein (HOAP)...
- Ostrowski D, Kahsai L, Kramer E, Knutson P, Zars T. Place memory retention in Drosophila. Neurobiol Learn Mem. 2015;123:217-24 pubmed publisher..The role of the rutabaga type I adenylyl cyclase was confirmed, and the latheo Orc3 origin of recognition complex component, the novel gene encoded by pastrel, and the small GTPase rac were all ..
- Boynton S, Tully T. latheo, a new gene involved in associative learning and memory in Drosophila melanogaster, identified from P element mutagenesis. Genetics. 1992;131:655-72 pubmed..lethal alleles, produced by excision of the latheoP1 insert or by EMS or gamma-rays, in the 49F region mapped the latheo mutation to one vital complementation group...
- Kopytova D, Popova V, Kurshakova M, Shidlovskii Y, Nabirochkina E, Brechalov A, et al. ORC interacts with THSC/TREX-2 and its subunits promote Nxf1 association with mRNP and mRNA export in Drosophila. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44:4920-33 pubmed publisher..The knockdown of Orc5 led to a drop in the Nxf1 association with mRNP, while Orc3 knockdown increased the level of mRNP-bound Nxf1...
- Pflugfelder G. Genetic lesions in Drosophila behavioural mutants. Behav Brain Res. 1998;95:3-15 pubmed..Various mutagens are reviewed as to their suitability in inducing selective regulatory mutations. ..
- Davis R. Mushroom bodies and Drosophila learning. Neuron. 1993;11:1-14 pubmed
- Li Y, Kirschmann D, Wallrath L. Does heterochromatin protein 1 always follow code?. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99 Suppl 4:16462-9 pubmed..Such sequences are likely to include HP1 "target genes" whose discovery will aid in our understanding of HP1 lethality in Drosophila and metastasis of breast cancer cells. ..
- Tully T. Discovery of genes involved with learning and memory: an experimental synthesis of Hirschian and Benzerian perspectives. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1996;93:13460-7 pubmed..In addition, more specific conclusions will be obtained from reverse-genetic experiments, in which gene disruptions are restricted in time and/or space. ..
- Bleichert F, Balasov M, Chesnokov I, Nogales E, Botchan M, Berger J. A Meier-Gorlin syndrome mutation in a conserved C-terminal helix of Orc6 impedes origin recognition complex formation. elife. 2013;2:e00882 pubmed publisher..ORC; biochemical studies reveal that this region of Orc6 associates with a previously uncharacterized domain of Orc3 and is required for ORC function and MCM2-7 loading in vivo...
- Guo H, Zhong Y. Requirement of Akt to mediate long-term synaptic depression in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2006;26:4004-14 pubmed
- Wakimoto B. Beyond the nucleosome: epigenetic aspects of position-effect variegation in Drosophila. Cell. 1998;93:321-4 pubmed
- Tully T, Preat T, Boynton S, del Vecchio M. Genetic dissection of consolidated memory in Drosophila. Cell. 1994;79:35-47 pubmed..LTM showed no appreciable decay over 7 days, was sensitive to CXM, and was not disrupted by the radish mutation. ..
- Seugnet L, Suzuki Y, Stidd R, Shaw P. Aversive phototaxic suppression: evaluation of a short-term memory assay in Drosophila melanogaster. Genes Brain Behav. 2009;8:377-89 pubmed publisher..These data indicate that APS is a simple and effective assay that can be used to evaluate fly models of human conditions associated with cognitive deficits. ..
- Rohrbough J, Pinto S, Mihalek R, Tully T, Broadie K. latheo, a Drosophila gene involved in learning, regulates functional synaptic plasticity. Neuron. 1999;23:55-70 pubmedMutations in the latheo (lat) gene disrupt associative learning in Drosophila , but a role for LAT in regulating neuronal function has not been demonstrated...
- Dubnau J, Chiang A, Tully T. Neural substrates of memory: from synapse to system. J Neurobiol. 2003;54:238-53 pubmed..Our objective here is to offer a conceptually unifying perspective and to discuss this perspective in relation to an experiment analysis of memory in Drosophila. ..
- Dubnau J, Tully T. Gene discovery in Drosophila: new insights for learning and memory. Annu Rev Neurosci. 1998;21:407-44 pubmed..Second, because core cellular mechanisms of simple forms of learning are evolutionarily conserved, biological pathways discovered in invertebrates are likely to be conserved in vertebrate systems as well. ..
- Pinto S, Quintana D, Smith P, Mihalek R, Hou Z, Boynton S, et al. latheo encodes a subunit of the origin recognition complex and disrupts neuronal proliferation and adult olfactory memory when mutant. Neuron. 1999;23:45-54 pubmedThe Drosophila latheo (lat) gene was identified in a behavioral screen for olfactory memory mutants. The original hypomorphic latP1 mutant (Boynton and Tully, 1992) shows a structural defect in adult brain...
- Davis R. Physiology and biochemistry of Drosophila learning mutants. Physiol Rev. 1996;76:299-317 pubmed..An appendix describing the currently used paradigms to test Drosophila behavior is included...
- Hao X, Alphey L, Bandara L, Lam E, Glover D, La Thangue N. Functional conservation of the cell cycle-regulating transcription factor DRTF1/E2F and its pathway of control in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Sci. 1995;108 ( Pt 9):2945-54 pubmed..The distinct expression patterns of DmDP and DmE2F-1 suggest that the formation of DP/E2F heterodimers, and hence DRTF1/E2F, is subject to complex regulatory cues. ..
- Renn S, Tomkinson B, Taghert P. Characterization and cloning of tripeptidyl peptidase II from the fruit fly, Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:19173-82 pubmed..Recombinant dTPP II displays the predicted activity following expression in HEK cells. TPP II maps to cytological position 49F4-7; animals deficient for this interval show reduced TPP II activity. ..
- Maqbool S, Mehrotra S, Kolpakas A, Durden C, Zhang B, Zhong H, et al. Dampened activity of E2F1-DP and Myb-MuvB transcription factors in Drosophila endocycling cells. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:4095-106 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that dampened transcriptional activation by E2F1-DP and Myb-MuvB is important to repress mitosis and coordinate the endocycle transcriptional and protein stability oscillators. ..
- Bielinsky A, Blitzblau H, Beall E, Ezrokhi M, Smith H, Botchan M, et al. Origin recognition complex binding to a metazoan replication origin. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1427-31 pubmed..initiation of DNA replication in eukaryotic cells at the onset of S phase requires the origin recognition complex (ORC) . This six-subunit complex, first isolated in Saccharomyces cerevisiae , is evolutionarily conserved ...
- Tully T, Bolwig G, Christensen J, Connolly J, Delvecchio M, DeZazzo J, et al. A return to genetic dissection of memory in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1996;61:207-18 pubmed
- Greenspan R. Flies, genes, learning, and memory. Neuron. 1995;15:747-50 pubmed
- Roman G, Davis R. Molecular biology and anatomy of Drosophila olfactory associative learning. Bioessays. 2001;23:571-81 pubmed..In this review, we discuss the nature of the behavioral tasks, the molecules, and the neuronal circuits involved in olfactory learning in Drosophila. ..