Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Or42a
Description: Odorant receptor 42a
Alias: 41E.2, 42a, CG17250, DOR117, Dmel\CG17250, OR42a, Or42A, odorant receptor 42a, CG17250-PA, Or42a-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Hoare D, McCrohan C, Cobb M. Precise and fuzzy coding by olfactory sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 2008;28:9710-22 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that fuzzy coding occurs in other organisms, is translated into differing degrees of activation of the glomeruli, and forms a key component of response variability in the first stages of olfactory processing. ..
- Mathew D, Martelli C, Kelley Swift E, Brusalis C, Gershow M, Samuel A, et al. Functional diversity among sensory receptors in a Drosophila olfactory circuit. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:E2134-43 pubmed publisher..Some odorants elicited strong physiological responses but weak behavioral responses or weak physiological responses but strong behavioral responses. ..
- Goldman A, Van der Goes van Naters W, Lessing D, Warr C, Carlson J. Coexpression of two functional odor receptors in one neuron. Neuron. 2005;45:661-6 pubmed..Most importantly, their coexpression has been conserved for >45 million years. Expression of multiple odor receptors in a cell provides an additional degree of freedom for odor coding. ..
- Masuda Nakagawa L, Gendre N, O Kane C, Stocker R. Localized olfactory representation in mushroom bodies of Drosophila larvae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:10314-9 pubmed publisher..Stereotypic representation of single OSN input in calyx glomeruli provides a mechanism for MB neurons to detect and discriminate olfactory cues. ..
- Gomez Marin A, Stephens G, Louis M. Active sampling and decision making in Drosophila chemotaxis. Nat Commun. 2011;2:441 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that larval chemotaxis represents an intermediate navigation strategy between the biased random walks of Escherichia Coli and the stereo-olfaction observed in rats and humans. ..
- Hartl M, Loschek L, Stephan D, Siju K, Knappmeyer C, Kadow I. A new Prospero and microRNA-279 pathway restricts CO2 receptor neuron formation. J Neurosci. 2011;31:15660-73 pubmed publisher..Given the important role of Pros in differentiation of the nervous system, we anticipate that miR-mediated signal tuning represents a powerful method for olfactory sensory system diversification during evolution. ..
- Hoare D, Humble J, Jin D, Gilding N, Petersen R, Cobb M, et al. Modeling peripheral olfactory coding in Drosophila larvae. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22996 pubmed publisher..We conclude that our model of the peripheral code represents basic features of odor detection and discrimination, yielding insights into the information available to higher processing structures in the brain. ..
- Ray A, Van der Goes van Naters W, Carlson J. A regulatory code for neuron-specific odor receptor expression. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e125 pubmed..These results, taken together, define the logic by which individual ORNs in the maxillary palp select which odor receptors to express...
- Hernandez Nunez L, Belina J, Klein M, Si G, Claus L, Carlson J, et al. Reverse-correlation analysis of navigation dynamics in Drosophila larva using optogenetics. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our method captures the dynamics of optogenetically induced behavior in compact, quantitative transformations that can be used to characterize circuits for sensorimotor processing and their contribution to navigational decision making. ..
- Martelli C, Carlson J, Emonet T. Intensity invariant dynamics and odor-specific latencies in olfactory receptor neuron response. J Neurosci. 2013;33:6285-97 pubmed publisher..How insects might use odor-specific stimulus dynamics and ORN dynamics in discrimination and navigation tasks remains an open question. ..
- Larkin A, Karak S, Priya R, Das A, Ayyub C, Ito K, et al. Central synaptic mechanisms underlie short-term olfactory habituation in Drosophila larvae. Learn Mem. 2010;17:645-53 pubmed publisher..Our observations suggest a model in which NMDAR-dependent depression of the OSN-PN synapse and/or NMDAR-dependent facilitation of inhibitory transmission from LNs to PNs contributes substantially to short-term habituation...
- Tharadra S, Medina A, Ray A. Advantage of the Highly Restricted Odorant Receptor Expression Pattern in Chemosensory Neurons of Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e66173 pubmed publisher..Taken together these results indicate that restrictive expression patterns and segregation of odorant receptors to individual neuron classes are important for sensitive odor-detection and appropriate olfactory behaviors. ..
- Chen W, Hing H. The L1-CAM, Neuroglian, functions in glial cells for Drosophila antennal lobe development. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1029-45 pubmed publisher..Our genetic analysis further demonstrates that the functions of Nrg in the midline glia require its ankyrin-binding motif. We propose that Nrg is an important regulator of glial morphogenesis and axon guidance in AL development. ..
- Tunstall N, Sirey T, Newcomb R, Warr C. Selective pressures on Drosophila chemosensory receptor genes. J Mol Evol. 2007;64:628-36 pubmed..Four of these genes (Or33c, Or42a, Or85e, and Gr68a) may be under positive selection, and if so, there is good evidence that 12 specific amino acid ..
- de Bruyne M, Smart R, Zammit E, Warr C. Functional and molecular evolution of olfactory neurons and receptors for aliphatic esters across the Drosophila genus. J Comp Physiol A Neuroethol Sens Neural Behav Physiol. 2010;196:97-109 pubmed publisher..This will inform future structure-function studies of Drosophila Ors. ..
- Shim J, Mukherjee T, Mondal B, Liu T, Young G, Wijewarnasuriya D, et al. Olfactory control of blood progenitor maintenance. Cell. 2013;155:1141-53 pubmed publisher..This study links sensory perception and the effects of its deprivation on the integrity of the hematopoietic and innate immune systems in Drosophila. PAPERCLIP: ..
- Takano Shimizu T, Kawabe A, Inomata N, Nanba N, Kondo R, Inoue Y, et al. Interlocus nonrandom association of polymorphisms in Drosophila chemoreceptor genes. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2004;101:14156-61 pubmed..Natural selection is suggested to play a significant role in shaping the pattern of LD observed in this study. ..
- Song E, de Bivort B, Dan C, Kunes S. Determinants of the Drosophila odorant receptor pattern. Dev Cell. 2012;22:363-76 pubmed publisher..Olfactory sensilla then become highly motile and disperse beneath the epidermis. Thus, positional information and cell motility underlie the dispersed patterns of Drosophila Or gene expression. ..
- Syed Z, Pelletier J, Flounders E, Chitolina R, Leal W. Generic insect repellent detector from the fruit fly Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e17705 pubmed publisher..We have also identified the insect repellent-sensitive receptor, DmOr42a. This generic detector fulfils the requirements for a simplified bioassay for early screening of test insect repellents. ..
- Bai L, Goldman A, Carlson J. Positive and negative regulation of odor receptor gene choice in Drosophila by acj6. J Neurosci. 2009;29:12940-7 pubmed publisher..Thus, Acj6 acts directly in the process of receptor gene choice; it plays a dual role, positive and negative, in the logic of the process, and acts in partitioning the larval and adult receptor repertoires. ..
- Tichy A, Ray A, Carlson J. A new Drosophila POU gene, pdm3, acts in odor receptor expression and axon targeting of olfactory neurons. J Neurosci. 2008;28:7121-9 pubmed publisher..Thus, this mutational analysis, the first for a POU class VI gene, demonstrates a role for pdm3 in both of the processes that define the functional organization of ORNs in the olfactory system. ..
- Cayirlioglu P, Kadow I, Zhan X, Okamura K, Suh G, Gunning D, et al. Hybrid neurons in a microRNA mutant are putative evolutionary intermediates in insect CO2 sensory systems. Science. 2008;319:1256-60 pubmed publisher..We propose that this hybrid ORN reveals a cellular intermediate in the evolution of species-specific behaviors elicited by CO2...
- Lattemann M, Zierau A, Schulte C, Seidl S, Kuhlmann B, Hummel T. Semaphorin-1a controls receptor neuron-specific axonal convergence in the primary olfactory center of Drosophila. Neuron. 2007;53:169-84 pubmed..These findings provide insights into the mechanism by which afferent interactions lead to synaptic specificity in the olfactory system. ..
- Grewal J, Nguyen C, Robles R, Cho C, Kir K, Fledderman N, et al. Complex and non-redundant signals from individual odor receptors that underlie chemotaxis behavior in Drosophila melanogaster larvae. Biol Open. 2014;3:947-57 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our results suggest a complexity of odor coding rules even in a simple olfactory sensory system. ..
- Stocker R. Olfactory coding: connecting odorant receptor expression and behavior in the Drosophila larva. Curr Biol. 2006;16:R16-8 pubmed..A recent study has shed new light on the central issue of how odor information is translated into meaningful behavior. ..
- Gepner R, Mihovilovic Skanata M, Bernat N, Kaplow M, Gershow M. Computations underlying Drosophila photo-taxis, odor-taxis, and multi-sensory integration. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..We studied other navigational decisions and found that larvae integrated odor and light according to the same rule in all cases. These results suggest that photo-taxis and odor-taxis are mediated by a shared computational pathway. ..
- Schulze A, Gomez Marin A, Rajendran V, Lott G, Musy M, Ahammad P, et al. Dynamical feature extraction at the sensory periphery guides chemotaxis. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Our work clarifies the link between computations carried out at the sensory periphery and action selection underlying navigation in odor gradients. ..