Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: opa
Description: odd paired
Alias: CG1133, Dmel\CG1133, Opa, odd paired, CG1133-PA, GLI-Kr zinc finger pair-rule protein, Odd-paired, opa-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Gaertner B, Johnston J, Chen K, Wallaschek N, Paulson A, Garruss A, et al. Poised RNA polymerase II changes over developmental time and prepares genes for future expression. Cell Rep. 2012;2:1670-83 pubmed publisher..We compare our data with findings in mammalian embryonic stem cells and discuss a framework for predicting developmental programs on the basis of the chromatin state. ..
- Prazak L, Fujioka M, Gergen J. Non-additive interactions involving two distinct elements mediate sloppy-paired regulation by pair-rule transcription factors. Dev Biol. 2010;344:1048-59 pubmed publisher..A model fully accounting for these results proposes that metameric slp1 expression is achieved through the Runt-dependent regulation of interactions between these two pair-rule response elements and the slp1 promoter...
- Cimbora D, Sakonju S. Drosophila midgut morphogenesis requires the function of the segmentation gene odd-paired. Dev Biol. 1995;169:580-95 pubmed..Here we report the identification and characterization of another gene, odd-paired (opa), required for normal midgut development...
- McKeon J, Slade E, Sinclair D, Cheng N, Couling M, Brock H. Mutations in some Polycomb group genes of Drosophila interfere with regulation of segmentation genes. Mol Gen Genet. 1994;244:474-83 pubmed..These results support a role for Pc genes in regulation of some segmentation genes, and suggest that esc may act differently from other Pc group genes. ..
- Mohler J. Spatial regulation of segment polarity gene expression in the anterior terminal region of the Drosophila blastoderm embryo. Mech Dev. 1995;50:151-61 pubmed..None of these five known gap genes are required for the activation of the labral segment domains of hh and wg, which are presumably either activated directly by maternal pathways or by an unidentified gap gene...
- Skeath J, Panganiban G, Selegue J, Carroll S. Gene regulation in two dimensions: the proneural achaete and scute genes are controlled by combinations of axis-patterning genes through a common intergenic control region. Genes Dev. 1992;6:2606-19 pubmed
- Zheng L, Michelson Y, Freger V, Avraham Z, Venken K, Bellen H, et al. Drosophila Ten-m and filamin affect motor neuron growth cone guidance. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e22956 pubmed publisher..During embryonic development, the expression of Filamin and Ten-m partially overlap in ectodermal cells. These results suggest that Ten-m and Filamin in epidermal cells might together influence growth cone progression. ..
- Topol J, Dearolf C, Prakash K, Parker C. Synthetic oligonucleotides recreate Drosophila fushi tarazu zebra-stripe expression. Genes Dev. 1991;5:855-67 pubmed..The reconstructed promoter system presented provides an effective means of studying molecular mechanisms governing spatially restricted transcription in the early embryo. ..
- Ingham P, Martinez Arias A. The correct activation of Antennapedia and bithorax complex genes requires the fushi tarazu gene. Nature. 1986;324:592-7 pubmed..Here we confirm this suggestion and propose that the gene fushi tarazu plays a key role in this process, integrating the processes of metameric partitioning and regional specification in the Drosophila embryo. ..
- Carroll S, Scott M. Zygotically active genes that affect the spatial expression of the fushi tarazu segmentation gene during early Drosophila embryogenesis. Cell. 1986;45:113-26 pubmed..No simple regulatory relationships can be deduced. Rather, expression of the ftz gene depends upon the interactions among the different segmentation genes active at each position along the anterior-posterior axis of the early embryo. ..
- Jacobsen T, Cain D, Paul L, Justiniano S, Alli A, Mullins J, et al. Functional analysis of genes differentially expressed in the Drosophila wing disc: role of transcripts enriched in the wing region. Genetics. 2006;174:1973-82 pubmed..However, there are both technical and biological limitations to this approach, including the efficacy of RNAi and the role that gene redundancy may play in masking phenotypes. ..
- Albrecht A, Mundlos S. The other trinucleotide repeat: polyalanine expansion disorders. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2005;15:285-93 pubmed..The molecular role of alanine tracts is unknown, but their strong evolutionary conservation suggests the existence of potent functional or structural constraints. ..
- Martin Bermudo M, Martinez C, Rodriguez A, Jimenez F. Distribution and function of the lethal of scute gene product during early neurogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 1991;113:445-54 pubmed..However, our study in l'sc mutants of the expression of fushi tarazu, engrailed, and even-skipped, used as markers of neuronal identity, has not provided evidence to support this hypothesis. ..
- Schaub C, Frasch M. Org-1 is required for the diversification of circular visceral muscle founder cells and normal midgut morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 2013;376:245-59 pubmed publisher..cell specific expression domains of several genes known to regulate midgut morphogenesis, including odd-paired (opa), teashirt (tsh), Ultrabithorax (Ubx), decapentaplegic (dpp) and wingless (wg)...
- Tremml G, Bienz M. An essential role of even-skipped for homeotic gene expression in the Drosophila visceral mesoderm. EMBO J. 1989;8:2687-93 pubmed..We suggest that the establishment of parasegment borders, a consequence of eve expression and witnessed by subsequent en expression, is a necessary precondition for homeotic gene expression in the visceral mesoderm. ..
- Colas J, Launay J, Kellermann O, Rosay P, Maroteaux L. Drosophila 5-HT2 serotonin receptor: coexpression with fushi-tarazu during segmentation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:5441-5 pubmed..Simultaneously with this pair-rule expression, the complete machinery of serotonin synthesis is present and leads to a peak of ligand concomitant with a peak of 5-HT2-specific receptor sites in blastoderm embryos. ..
- Huang Z, Kingsolver M, Avadhanula V, Hardy R. An antiviral role for antimicrobial peptides during the arthropod response to alphavirus replication. J Virol. 2013;87:4272-80 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate an antiviral response involving the Imd and Jak-STAT mediated expression of dptB and attC...
- DOUGHERTY J, Tabus I, Astola J. Inference of gene regulatory networks based on a universal minimum description length. EURASIP J Bioinform Syst Biol. 2008;:482090 pubmed publisher..Finally, it is applied to time-series Drosophila gene expression measurements. ..
- Frasch M, Levine M. Complementary patterns of even-skipped and fushi tarazu expression involve their differential regulation by a common set of segmentation genes in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1987;1:981-95 pubmed
- Navarro C, Lopez F, Cano C, Garcia Alcalde F, Blanco A. CisMiner: genome-wide in-silico cis-regulatory module prediction by fuzzy itemset mining. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e108065 pubmed publisher..ugr.es/cisminer. CisMiner can be queried for the results presented in this work and can also perform a customized cis-regulatory module prediction on a query set of transcription factor binding sites provided by the user. ..
- Stultz B, Park S, Mortin M, Kennison J, Hursh D. Hox proteins coordinate peripodial decapentaplegic expression to direct adult head morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2012;369:362-76 pubmed publisher..Thus Hox/BMP interactions in the peripodial epithelium of the eye-antennal disc contribute inductively to the shape of the external form of the adult Drosophila head. ..
- Aruga J, Nagai T, Tokuyama T, Hayashizaki Y, Okazaki Y, Chapman V, et al. The mouse zic gene family. Homologues of the Drosophila pair-rule gene odd-paired. J Biol Chem. 1996;271:1043-7 pubmed..These findings suggest that the Zic gene family and Drosophila odd-paired are derived from a common ancestral gene. ..
- Pallavi S, Shashidhara L. Egfr/Ras pathway mediates interactions between peripodial and disc proper cells in Drosophila wing discs. Development. 2003;130:4931-41 pubmed..These results on signaling between squamous and columnar epithelia are particularly significant in the context of in vitro studies using human cell lines that suggest a role for the Egfr/Ras pathway in metastasis and tumour progression. ..
- DiNardo S, O Farrell P. Establishment and refinement of segmental pattern in the Drosophila embryo: spatial control of engrailed expression by pair-rule genes. Genes Dev. 1987;1:1212-25 pubmed
- Li X, Gutjahr T, Noll M. Separable regulatory elements mediate the establishment and maintenance of cell states by the Drosophila segment-polarity gene gooseberry. EMBO J. 1993;12:1427-36 pubmed..The significance of such a regulatory strategy is discussed with respect to the establishment and maintenance of cell states within each segment by segment-polarity genes. ..
- Nusslein Volhard C, Kluding H, Jurgens G. Genes affecting the segmental subdivision of the Drosophila embryo. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1985;50:145-54 pubmed
- Vanderzwan Butler C, Prazak L, Gergen J. The HMG-box protein Lilliputian is required for Runt-dependent activation of the pair-rule gene fushi-tarazu. Dev Biol. 2007;301:350-60 pubmed..Based on these results we suggest that Lilli plays an architectural role in facilitating transcriptional activation that depends both on the target gene and the developmental context. ..
- Mu oz Descalzo S, Belacortu Y, Paricio N. Identification and analysis of cabut orthologs in invertebrates and vertebrates. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:289-98 pubmed publisher..Because we were not able to identify cbt orthologous genes neither in yeast nor in plants, our results suggest that this gene has been probably conserved throughout metazoans and that it may play a fundamental role in animal biology...
- Zallen J, Wieschaus E. Patterned gene expression directs bipolar planar polarity in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2004;6:343-55 pubmed..These results indicate that spatial patterns of gene expression coordinate planar polarity across a multicellular population through the localized distribution of proteins required for cell movement. ..
- Bilder D, Scott M. Hedgehog and wingless induce metameric pattern in the Drosophila visceral mesoderm. Dev Biol. 1998;201:43-56 pubmed..The resultant map suggests a model for the origins of VM-specific Hox expression in which Hox domains clonally inherited from blastoderm ancestors are modified by diffusible signals acting on VM-specific enhancers. ..
- Wieschaus E. Embryonic transcription and the control of developmental pathways. Genetics. 1996;142:5-10 pubmed
- Coulter D, Wieschaus E. Gene activities and segmental patterning in Drosophila: analysis of odd-skipped and pair-rule double mutants. Genes Dev. 1988;2:1812-23 pubmed..We conclude that the requirements of pattern elements for specific gene activities are not absolute, and propose mechanisms by which these genes interact to specify cell fates. ..
- Lee H, Stultz B, Hursh D. The Zic family member, odd-paired, regulates the Drosophila BMP, decapentaplegic, during adult head development. Development. 2007;134:1301-10 pubmed..Here we describe the recovery of mutations in odd-paired (opa), a zinc finger transcription factor related to the vertebrate Zic family, as dominant enhancers of this dpp head ..
- Weir M, Edgar B, Kornberg T, Schubiger G. Spatial regulation of engrailed expression in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1988;2:1194-203 pubmed..We suggest that products of known segmentation genes are the repressors that suppress engrailed expression in interbands. ..
- Jack T, McGinnis W. Establishment of the Deformed expression stripe requires the combinatorial action of coordinate, gap and pair-rule proteins. EMBO J. 1990;9:1187-98 pubmed..In addition, the activation code for Deformed is redundant; other pair-rule genes in addition to even-skipped can apparently act in combination with bicoid and hunchback to activate Deformed. ..
- Harrison M, Li X, Kaplan T, Botchan M, Eisen M. Zelda binding in the early Drosophila melanogaster embryo marks regions subsequently activated at the maternal-to-zygotic transition. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002266 pubmed publisher..This strong early association of ZLD with regions not active until the MZT suggests that ZLD is not only required for the earliest wave of transcription but also plays a major role in activating the genome at the MZT. ..
- Carrasco Rando M, Atienza Manuel A, Martin P, Burke R, Ruiz Gomez M. Fear-of-intimacy-mediated zinc transport controls the function of zinc-finger transcription factors involved in myogenesis. Development. 2016;143:1948-57 pubmed publisher..Our results additionally suggest a possible explanation for the presence of large numbers of zinc transporters in organisms based on differences in ion transport specificity and/or degrees of activity among transporters. ..
- Goto A, Matsushima Y, Kadowaki T, Kitagawa Y. Drosophila mitochondrial transcription factor A (d-TFAM) is dispensable for the transcription of mitochondrial DNA in Kc167 cells. Biochem J. 2001;354:243-8 pubmed..Nonetheless, transcription of the ND2 and ND5 genes and their mRNAs remained unchanged for 8 days of the duration of RNAi. We thus show that d-TFAM is not essential for the transcription of Drosophila mtDNA. ..
- Mahoney M, Parks A, Ruddy D, Tiong S, Esengil H, Phan A, et al. Presenilin-based genetic screens in Drosophila melanogaster identify novel notch pathway modifiers. Genetics. 2006;172:2309-24 pubmed..The predicted functions of these newly identified genes are consistent with extracellular matrix and vesicular trafficking mechanisms in Presenilin and Notch pathway regulation and suggest a novel role for gamma-tubulin in the pathway. ..
- Tucker R, Chiquet Ehrismann R. Teneurins: a conserved family of transmembrane proteins involved in intercellular signaling during development. Dev Biol. 2006;290:237-45 pubmed..Teneurin function appears to be required for a fundamentally important signaling mechanism conserved between invertebrates and vertebrates having an impact on many processes relying on cell-cell contact throughout development. ..
- Goto A, Blandin S, Royet J, Reichhart J, Levashina E. Silencing of Toll pathway components by direct injection of double-stranded RNA into Drosophila adult flies. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:6619-23 pubmed
- Bilder D, Graba Y, Scott M. Wnt and TGFbeta signals subdivide the AbdA Hox domain during Drosophila mesoderm patterning. Development. 1998;125:1781-90 pubmed..the anterior one producing the Pointed (Pnt) ETS transcription factors and the posterior one the Odd-paired (Opa) zinc finger protein...
- Halfon M, Hashimoto C, Keshishian H. The Drosophila toll gene functions zygotically and is necessary for proper motoneuron and muscle development. Dev Biol. 1995;169:151-67 pubmed..The limited expressivity observed suggests that Toll is only one of several genes required for proper motoneuron and muscle specification. ..
- Aruga J. The role of Zic genes in neural development. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2004;26:205-21 pubmed..This association might be is a clue toward understanding of the multifunctional property of Zic proteins because Notch signaling also is implicated in the control of several developmental processes. ..
- Meireles Filho A, Bardet A, Yáñez Cuna J, Stampfel G, Stark A. cis-regulatory requirements for tissue-specific programs of the circadian clock. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1-10 pubmed publisher..Among them, we show that the opa and GATA motifs, differentially enriched in head and body binding sites respectively, can be bound by OPA and ..
- Mendoza García P, Hugosson F, Fallah M, Higgins M, Iwasaki Y, Pfeifer K, et al. The Zic family homologue Odd-paired regulates Alk expression in Drosophila. PLoS Genet. 2017;13:e1006617 pubmed publisher..yeast one-hybrid screens (Y1H) with a library of Drosophila transcription factors (TFs) we identify Odd-paired (Opa), the Drosophila homologue of the vertebrate Zic family of TFs, as a novel regulator of embryonic Alk expression...
- Goto A, Aoki M, Ichihara S, Kitagawa Y. alpha-, beta- or gamma-chain-specific RNA interference of laminin assembly in Drosophila Kc167 cells. Biochem J. 2001;360:167-72 pubmed..We suggest that interconversion of these betagamma dimers is crucial for the replaceable and selective assembly of the alpha chain for alphabetagamma trimer formation. ..
- Nasiadka A, Krause H. Kinetic analysis of segmentation gene interactions in Drosophila embryos. Development. 1999;126:1515-26 pubmed..In total, 11 putative Ftz target genes are analyzed, and the data provide a substantially revised view of Ftz roles and activities within the segmentation hierarchy. ..
- Azpiazu N, Lawrence P, Vincent J, Frasch M. Segmentation and specification of the Drosophila mesoderm. Genes Dev. 1996;10:3183-94 pubmed..Hence, hh and wg play opposing roles in mesoderm segmentation. ..
- Baumgartner S, Noll M. Network of interactions among pair-rule genes regulating paired expression during primordial segmentation of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1990;33:1-18 pubmed..early 'pair-rule' to the 'segment-polarity' pattern of prd expression is regulated by the secondary pair-rule genes opa and odd...
- Ingham P, Martinez Arias A. Boundaries and fields in early embryos. Cell. 1992;68:221-35 pubmed