Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: odd
Description: odd skipped
Alias: CG3851, Dmel\CG3851, ODD, Odd, l(2)01863, ods, odd skipped, CG3851-PA, odd paired, odd-PA, odd-skipped, oddskipped
Species: fruit fly
- Spana E, Doe C. Numb antagonizes Notch signaling to specify sibling neuron cell fates. Neuron. 1996;17:21-6 pubmed..Thus, intrinsic and extrinsic cues converge to specify binary cell fates in the MP2 cell lineage. ..
- Vincent S, Perrimon N, Axelrod J. Hedgehog and Wingless stabilize but do not induce cell fate during Drosophila dorsal embryonic epidermal patterning. Development. 2008;135:2767-75 pubmed publisher..The combination of independent progression of cell identity and arrest of progression by signals facilitates accurate patterning of an extremely plastic developing epidermis. ..
- Broihier H, Kuzin A, Zhu Y, Odenwald W, Skeath J. Drosophila homeodomain protein Nkx6 coordinates motoneuron subtype identity and axonogenesis. Development. 2004;131:5233-42 pubmed..Thus, this work demonstrates that Nkx6 acts in a specific neuronal population to link neuronal subtype identity to neuronal morphology and connectivity. ..
- Das D, Ashoka D, Aradhya R, Inamdar M. Gene expression analysis in post-embryonic pericardial cells of Drosophila. Gene Expr Patterns. 2008;8:199-205 pubmed..Embryonic PCs belong to three distinct genetic classes based on Odd-skipped (Odd), Even-skipped (Eve) and Tinman (Tin) expression...
- Spana E, Kopczynski C, Goodman C, Doe C. Asymmetric localization of numb autonomously determines sibling neuron identity in the Drosophila CNS. Development. 1995;121:3489-94 pubmed..Thus, numb is asymmetrically localized in the dividing MP2 and is necessary and sufficient to autonomously specify dMP2 neuronal identity. ..
- Surkova S, Kosman D, Kozlov K, Manu -, Myasnikova E, Samsonova A, et al. Characterization of the Drosophila segment determination morphome. Dev Biol. 2008;313:844-62 pubmed..As the first quantitatively characterized morphogenetic field, this system and its behavior constitute an extraordinarily rich set of materials for the study of canalization and embryonic regulation at the molecular level...
- Nusslein Volhard C, Wieschaus E. Mutations affecting segment number and polarity in Drosophila. Nature. 1980;287:795-801 pubmed
- McDonald J, Holbrook S, Isshiki T, Weiss J, Doe C, Mellerick D. Dorsoventral patterning in the Drosophila central nervous system: the vnd homeobox gene specifies ventral column identity. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3603-12 pubmed..Vertebrate homologs of vnd (Nkx2.1 and 2.2) are similarly expressed in the ventral CNS, raising the possibility that DV patterning within the CNS is evolutionarily conserved. ..
- Fujioka M, Emi Sarker Y, Yusibova G, Goto T, Jaynes J. Analysis of an even-skipped rescue transgene reveals both composite and discrete neuronal and early blastoderm enhancers, and multi-stripe positioning by gap gene repressor gradients. Development. 1999;126:2527-38 pubmed..Additionally, a strong pairing-sensitive repression element was localized to the 3' end of the locus, but was not found to contribute to efficient functional rescue. ..
- Coulter D, Swaykus E, Beran Koehn M, Goldberg D, Wieschaus E, Schedl P. Molecular analysis of odd-skipped, a zinc finger encoding segmentation gene with a novel pair-rule expression pattern. EMBO J. 1990;9:3795-804 pubmedb>odd-skipped (odd) is one of eight known pair-rule genes that establish portions of alternating segments during Drosophila embryogenesis; odd mutant embryos exhibit pattern defects in anterior regions of odd-numbered segments...
- Frandsen J, Gunn B, Muratoglu S, Fossett N, Newfeld S. Salmonella pathogenesis reveals that BMP signaling regulates blood cell homeostasis and immune responses in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:14952-7 pubmed publisher..These results also demonstrate that combining Drosophila and Salmonella genetics can provide novel opportunities for advancing our knowledge of hematopoiesis and innate immunity. ..
- Schroeder M, Pearce M, Fak J, Fan H, Unnerstall U, Emberly E, et al. Transcriptional control in the segmentation gene network of Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E271 pubmed..factor input, we confirm the global regulatory structure of the segmentation gene network, but find odd skipped behaving like a primary pair-rule gene...
- Sanchez L, Thieffry D. Segmenting the fly embryo: a logical analysis of the pair-rule cross-regulatory module. J Theor Biol. 2003;224:517-37 pubmed..Finally, it provides new insights into the roles and evolutionary origins of the apparent redundancies in the regulatory architecture of the pair-rule module. ..
- Broadus J, Skeath J, Spana E, Bossing T, Technau G, Doe C. New neuroblast markers and the origin of the aCC/pCC neurons in the Drosophila central nervous system. Mech Dev. 1995;53:393-402 pubmed..These results are supported by DiI cell lineage analysis of neuroblasts identified in vivo. ..
- Simin K, Scuderi A, Reamey J, Dunn D, Weiss R, Metherall J, et al. Profiling patterned transcripts in Drosophila embryos. Genome Res. 2002;12:1040-7 pubmed
- Berman B, Nibu Y, Pfeiffer B, Tomancak P, Celniker S, Levine M, et al. Exploiting transcription factor binding site clustering to identify cis-regulatory modules involved in pattern formation in the Drosophila genome. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:757-62 pubmed..We tested one of the newly identified clusters, mapping upstream of the gap gene giant (gt), and show that it acts as an enhancer that recapitulates the posterior expression pattern of gt. ..
- Florence B, Guichet A, Ephrussi A, Laughon A. Ftz-F1 is a cofactor in Ftz activation of the Drosophila engrailed gene. Development. 1997;124:839-47 pubmed..We also report the existence of a separate negative regulatory element that apparently responds to odd-skipped.
- Skeath J. The Drosophila EGF receptor controls the formation and specification of neuroblasts along the dorsal-ventral axis of the Drosophila embryo. Development. 1998;125:3301-12 pubmed..These results demonstrate that DER plays a critical role during neuroblast formation, patterning and specification along the DV axis within the developing Drosophila embryonic CNS. ..
- Bossing T, Brand A. Dephrin, a transmembrane ephrin with a unique structure, prevents interneuronal axons from exiting the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Development. 2002;129:4205-18 pubmed..We propose that the longitudinal tracts in the Drosophila CNS are moulded by a repulsive outer border of Dephrin expression. ..
- Muratoglu S, Garratt B, Hyman K, Gajewski K, Schulz R, Fossett N. Regulation of Drosophila friend of GATA gene, u-shaped, during hematopoiesis: a direct role for serpent and lozenge. Dev Biol. 2006;296:561-79 pubmed..The results of these studies provide information to analyze further the regulation of this conserved gene family and its role during hematopoietic lineage commitment. ..
- Bras Pereira C, Bessa J, Casares F. Odd-skipped genes specify the signaling center that triggers retinogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4145-9 pubmed..Here, we show that the co-expression of the conserved odd-skipped family genes at the posterior margin of the eye field is required to activate hedgehog expression and ..
- Berman B, Pfeiffer B, Laverty T, Salzberg S, Rubin G, Eisen M, et al. Computational identification of developmental enhancers: conservation and function of transcription factor binding-site clusters in Drosophila melanogaster and Drosophila pseudoobscura. Genome Biol. 2004;5:R61 pubmed..Six clusters are enhancers of adjacent genes: giant, fushi tarazu, odd-skipped, nubbin, squeeze and pdm2; three drive expression in patterns unrelated to those of neighboring genes; the ..
- Miguel Aliaga I, Thor S. Segment-specific prevention of pioneer neuron apoptosis by cell-autonomous, postmitotic Hox gene activity. Development. 2004;131:6093-105 pubmed..In addition, they provide a novel mechanism linking Hox positional information to differences in neuronal architecture along the anteroposterior axis by the selective elimination of mature neurons. ..
- Mandal L, Martinez Agosto J, Evans C, Hartenstein V, Banerjee U. A Hedgehog- and Antennapedia-dependent niche maintains Drosophila haematopoietic precursors. Nature. 2007;446:320-4 pubmed..Identification of this system allows the opportunity for genetic manipulation and direct in vivo imaging of a haematopoietic niche interacting with blood precursors. ..
- Bossing T, Brand A. Determination of cell fate along the anteroposterior axis of the Drosophila ventral midline. Development. 2006;133:1001-12 pubmed..Engrailed-positive midline cells develop into ventral unpaired median (VUM) neurons and the median neuroblast (MNB). Engrailed-negative midline cells develop into unpaired median interneurons (UMI), MP1 interneurons and midline glia. ..
- Levy P, Larsen C. Odd-skipped labels a group of distinct neurons associated with the mushroom body and optic lobe in the adult Drosophila brain. J Comp Neurol. 2013;521:3716-40 pubmed publisher..in detail, the adult projections patterns that arise from a cluster of 78 neurons, defined by the expression of the Odd-skipped transcription factor. We term these neurons Odd neurons...
- Mace D, Varnado N, Zhang W, Frise E, Ohler U. Extraction and comparison of gene expression patterns from 2D RNA in situ hybridization images. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:761-9 pubmed publisher..genome.duke.edu/generegulation/image_analysis/insitu email@example.com Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online. ..
- Fujioka M, Jaynes J, Goto T. Early even-skipped stripes act as morphogenetic gradients at the single cell level to establish engrailed expression. Development. 1995;121:4371-82 pubmed..In addition, we show that the early eve gradient is sufficient, at its posterior edge, for subdividing the ftz domain into engrailed expressing and non-expressing cells. ..
- Ward E, Skeath J. Characterization of a novel subset of cardiac cells and their progenitors in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2000;127:4959-69 pubmed..Here, we report the identification of a new population of heart cells: the Odd skipped-positive pericardial cells (Odd-pericardial cells)...
- Larsen C, Franch Marro X, Hartenstein V, Alexandre C, Vincent J. An efficient promoter trap for detection of patterned gene expression and subsequent functional analysis in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17813-7 pubmed..Using this promoter trap approach, we have identified a group of cells that innervate the calyx of the mushroom body and could thus define a previously unrecognized memory circuit. ..
- Crozatier M, Ubeda J, Vincent A, Meister M. Cellular immune response to parasitization in Drosophila requires the EBF orthologue collier. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E196 pubmed..Further investigations on Col/EBF expression and function in other phyla should provide fresh insight into the evolutionary origin of lymphoid cells. ..
- Saulier Le Dréan B, Nasiadka A, Dong J, Krause H. Dynamic changes in the functions of Odd-skipped during early Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1998;125:4851-61 pubmed..Like many of these gene products, the protein encoded by the pair-rule gene odd-skipped (Odd) is a DNA-binding transcription factor...
- Mulinari S, Barmchi M, Hacker U. DRhoGEF2 and diaphanous regulate contractile force during segmental groove morphogenesis in the Drosophila embryo. Mol Biol Cell. 2008;19:1883-92 pubmed publisher..We propose that DRhoGEF2 acts through Rho1 to regulate acto-myosin constriction but not Diaphanous-mediated F-actin nucleation during segmental groove morphogenesis. ..
- Held L. Axes, boundaries and coordinates: the ABCs of fly leg development. Bioessays. 1995;17:721-32 pubmed
- Zohar Stoopel A, Gonen N, Mahroum M, Ben Zvi D, Toledano H, Salzberg A. Homothorax plays autonomous and nonautonomous roles in proximodistal axis formation and migration of the Drosophila renal tubules. Dev Dyn. 2014;243:132-44 pubmed publisher..The nonautonomous effects of Hth on MpT migration can be partially attributed to its effects on homeotic determination along the anterior posterior axis of the embryo and to its effects on stellate cell (SC) incorporation into the MpT. ..
- Reim I, Frasch M. The Dorsocross T-box genes are key components of the regulatory network controlling early cardiogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:4911-25 pubmed..The integration of this new information with previous findings has allowed us to draw a more complete pathway of regulatory events during cardiac induction and differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Gravot E, Huet M, Veuille M. Effect of breeding structure on population genetic parameters in Drosophila. Genetics. 2004;166:779-88 pubmed..More generally, this suggests the existence of differential reactions to local environments that might contribute to several genomic differences observed between these species. ..
- Tracey W, Ning X, Klingler M, Kramer S, Gergen J. Quantitative analysis of gene function in the Drosophila embryo. Genetics. 2000;154:273-84 pubmed..The maternal GAL4 system will have applications both for the measurement of gene activity in reverse genetic experiments as well as for the identification of genetic factors that have quantitative effects on gene function in vivo. ..
- Tchuraev R, Galimzyanov A. Gene and epigene networks: two levels in organizing the hereditary system. J Theor Biol. 2009;259:659-69 pubmed publisher..In addition, the experimental results are given on construction an artificial epigene. ..
- Karim M, Moore A. Convergent local identity and topographic projection of sensory neurons. J Neurosci. 2011;31:17017-27 pubmed publisher..These findings indicate that convergent sensory neuron specification, local differentiation, and topographic wiring are mediated by Mirror, and they suggest an integrated paradigm for position-sensitive neural development. ..
- Bhalerao S, Berdnik D, Torok T, Knoblich J. Localization-dependent and -independent roles of numb contribute to cell-fate specification in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2005;15:1583-90 pubmed..Our results suggest that two classes of asymmetric cell division exist, each with different requirements for asymmetric inheritance of cell-fate determinants. ..
- Duque T, Sinha S. What does it take to evolve an enhancer? A simulation-based study of factors influencing the emergence of combinatorial regulation. Genome Biol Evol. 2015;7:1415-31 pubmed publisher..Our simulations also revealed that certain features of an enhancer might evolve not due to their biological function but as aids to the evolutionary process itself. ..
- Samee A, Sinha S. Evaluating thermodynamic models of enhancer activity on cellular resolution gene expression data. Methods. 2013;62:79-90 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show how fitting quantitative models on data sets comprising a handful of enhancers, as reported in earlier work, may lead to unreliable models. ..
- Tao Y, Wang J, Tokusumi T, Gajewski K, Schulz R. Requirement of the LIM homeodomain transcription factor tailup for normal heart and hematopoietic organ formation in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 2007;27:3962-9 pubmed..Together, these results establish Tailup as being a critical new transcription factor in dorsal vessel morphogenesis and lymph gland formation and place this regulator directly upstream of Hand in these developmental processes. ..
- Johnson A, Burnett L, Sellin J, Paululat A, Newfeld S. Defective decapentaplegic signaling results in heart overgrowth and reduced cardiac output in Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:1609-24 pubmed..Here we report that, via Zfh1, the second Dpp signal restricts the number of Odd-skipped-expressing and the number of Tin-expressing pericardial cells...
- Werz C, Lee T, Lee P, Lackey M, Bolduc C, Stein D, et al. Mis-specified cells die by an active gene-directed process, and inhibition of this death results in cell fate transformation in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:5343-52 pubmed..These data support a model whereby mis-specification can be tolerated if a survival pathway is provided, resulting in cellular transformation. ..
- Layden M, Odden J, Schmid A, Garces A, Thor S, Doe C. Zfh1, a somatic motor neuron transcription factor, regulates axon exit from the CNS. Dev Biol. 2006;291:253-63 pubmed..g. Islet, Hb9, Nkx6, Lim3)--to project laterally and exit the CNS. We conclude that Zfh1 is required for ventral motor axon exit from the CNS. ..
- Baumgartner S, Noll M. Network of interactions among pair-rule genes regulating paired expression during primordial segmentation of Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1990;33:1-18 pubmed..to the 'segment-polarity' pattern of prd expression is regulated by the secondary pair-rule genes opa and odd. The model predicts the distributions of pair-rule gene products regulating prd at late syncytial blastoderm, e.g...
- Ducuing A, Mollereau B, Axelrod J, Vincent S. Absolute requirement of cholesterol binding for Hedgehog gradient formation in Drosophila. Biol Open. 2013;2:596-604 pubmed publisher..We propose that a morphogen gradient does not necessarily stem from the active transfer of a poorly diffusing molecule, but can be achieved by the restriction of a highly diffusible ligand. ..
- Yuan L, Woodard A, Ji S, Jiang Y, Zhou Z, Kumar S, et al. Learning sparse representations for fruit-fly gene expression pattern image annotation and retrieval. BMC Bioinformatics. 2012;13:107 pubmed publisher..Experimental results indicate that the integration of spatial information and sparse features lead to consistent performance improvement in image annotation, while for the task of retrieval, sparse features alone yields better results. ..
- Kaplan T, Friedman N, Margalit H. Ab initio prediction of transcription factor targets using structural knowledge. PLoS Comput Biol. 2005;1:e1 pubmed..By analyzing the predicted targets along with gene annotation and expression data we infer the function and activity of these proteins. ..
- Smoller D, Petrov D, Hartl D. Characterization of bacteriophage P1 library containing inserts of Drosophila DNA of 75-100 kilobase pairs. Chromosoma. 1991;100:487-94 pubmed..The P1 cloning system has general utility in molecular genetics and may provide an important intermediate level of resolution in physical mapping of the Drosophila genome. ..
- Miguel Aliaga I, Thor S, Gould A. Postmitotic specification of Drosophila insulinergic neurons from pioneer neurons. PLoS Biol. 2008;6:e58 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal striking similarities between the transcription factors regulating insulin expression in insect neurons and mammalian pancreatic beta-cells. ..
- Nusinow D, Greenberg L, Hatini V. Reciprocal roles for bowl and lines in specifying the peripodial epithelium and the disc proper of the Drosophila wing primordium. Development. 2008;135:3031-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that bowl and lines act as a binary switch to subdivide the wing primordium into PE and DP, and assign crucial roles for this asymmetry in wing growth and patterning. ..
- Braid L, Lee W, Uetrecht A, Swarup S, Papaianni G, Heiler A, et al. Nemo phosphorylates Even-skipped and promotes Eve-mediated repression of odd-skipped in even parasegments during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Biol. 2010;343:178-89 pubmed publisher..We find that Nmo regulates a subset of Eve activities by stimulating Eve-mediated suppression of the odd-skipped (odd) repressor...
- Skeath J, Panganiban G, Selegue J, Carroll S. Gene regulation in two dimensions: the proneural achaete and scute genes are controlled by combinations of axis-patterning genes through a common intergenic control region. Genes Dev. 1992;6:2606-19 pubmed
- Kim M, Kim J, Kim D, Lander A, Cho K. Spatiotemporal network motif reveals the biological traits of developmental gene regulatory networks in Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Syst Biol. 2012;6:31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the proposed concept and the simulations can be used to unravel the design principle of developmental gene regulatory networks. ..
- Myers M, Wager Smith K, Wesley C, Young M, Sehgal A. Positional cloning and sequence analysis of the Drosophila clock gene, timeless. Science. 1995;270:805-8 pubmed..Absence of sequence similarity to the PER dimerization motif (PAS) indicates that direct interaction between PER and TIM would require a heterotypic protein association. ..
- Dormand E, Brand A. Runt determines cell fates in the Drosophila embryonic CNS. Development. 1998;125:1659-67 pubmed..We find that Runt is expressed in neuroblast 3-3, supporting an autonomous role for runt during neuroblast specification. ..
- Skeath J, Doe C. Sanpodo and Notch act in opposition to Numb to distinguish sibling neuron fates in the Drosophila CNS. Development. 1998;125:1857-65 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that interactions between sanpodo, the Notch signaling pathway and numb enable CNS sibling neurons to acquire different fates. ..
- Cheesman S, Layden M, Von Ohlen T, Doe C, Eisen J. Zebrafish and fly Nkx6 proteins have similar CNS expression patterns and regulate motoneuron formation. Development. 2004;131:5221-32 pubmed..Overexpression of fish or fly Nkx6 is sufficient to generate supernumerary motoneurons in both zebrafish and flies. These results suggest that one ancestral function of Nkx6 proteins was to promote motoneuron development. ..
- Tian X, Hansen D, Schedl T, Skeath J. Epsin potentiates Notch pathway activity in Drosophila and C. elegans. Development. 2004;131:5807-15 pubmed..Our results suggest that epsins play a specific, evolutionarily conserved role to promote Notch signaling during animal development and support the idea that they do so by targeting ligands of the Notch pathway for endocytosis. ..
- Frasch M, Levine M. Complementary patterns of even-skipped and fushi tarazu expression involve their differential regulation by a common set of segmentation genes in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1987;1:981-95 pubmed
- Pisarev A, Poustelnikova E, Samsonova M, Reinitz J. FlyEx, the quantitative atlas on segmentation gene expression at cellular resolution. Nucleic Acids Res. 2009;37:D560-6 pubmed publisher..5 h of development. FlyEx supports the data downloads and construction of personal reference datasets, that makes it possible to more effectively use and analyze data. ..
- Gao H, Wu X, Fossett N. Odd-skipped maintains prohemocyte potency and blocks blood cell development in Drosophila. Genesis. 2011;49:105-16 pubmed publisher..This report extends our understanding of prohemocyte fate choice by showing that the zinc-finger protein Odd-skipped promotes multipotency and blocks differentiation...
- Zhou S, Yang Y, Scott M, Pannuti A, Fehr K, Eisen A, et al. Male-specific lethal 2, a dosage compensation gene of Drosophila, undergoes sex-specific regulation and encodes a protein with a RING finger and a metallothionein-like cysteine cluster. EMBO J. 1995;14:2884-95 pubmed
- Janknecht R, Sander C, Pongs O. (HX)n repeats: a pH-controlled protein-protein interaction motif of eukaryotic transcription factors?. FEBS Lett. 1991;295:1-2 pubmed..g. HPHAHPHP in paired protein. Detailed molecular modelling and database searches lead to the suggestion that (HX)n repeats can mediate interaction between transcription factors in a pH-controlled fashion. ..
- Johansen K, Green R, Iwaki D, Hernandez J, Lengyel J. The Drm-Bowl-Lin relief-of-repression hierarchy controls fore- and hindgut patterning and morphogenesis. Mech Dev. 2003;120:1139-51 pubmed..bowl belong to a family of genes encoding C(2)H(2) zinc finger proteins; the other two members of this family are odd-skipped (odd) and sob...
- Colas J, Launay J, Kellermann O, Rosay P, Maroteaux L. Drosophila 5-HT2 serotonin receptor: coexpression with fushi-tarazu during segmentation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:5441-5 pubmed..Simultaneously with this pair-rule expression, the complete machinery of serotonin synthesis is present and leads to a peak of ligand concomitant with a peak of 5-HT2-specific receptor sites in blastoderm embryos. ..
- Ingham P, Martinez Arias A. Boundaries and fields in early embryos. Cell. 1992;68:221-35 pubmed