Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: O-fut1
Description: O-fucosyltransferase 1
Alias: 4R6, AAF58290.1, CG12366, Dmel\CG12366, O-FUT1, O-fut, OFUT1, OFut1, Ofut-1, Ofut1, l(2)SH2 2260, l(2)SH2260, ntc, nti, o-fut1, O-fucosyltransferase 1, CG12366-PA, CG12366-PB, O-fucosyl transferase, O-fucosyltransferase, O-fut1-PA, O-fut1-PB, neurotic
Species: fruit fly
- Brodu V, Elstob P, Gould A. EGF receptor signaling regulates pulses of cell delamination from the Drosophila ectoderm. Dev Cell. 2004;7:885-95 pubmed..These findings illustrate how intercellular signaling and cell movements can generate multiple cycles of a cell behavior, despite individual cells experiencing only one cycle of receptor activation. ..
- Yamakawa T, Yamada K, Sasamura T, Nakazawa N, Kanai M, Suzuki E, et al. Deficient Notch signaling associated with neurogenic pecanex is compensated for by the unfolded protein response in Drosophila. Development. 2012;139:558-67 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the ER plays a previously unrecognized role in N signaling and that this ER function depends on pcx activity. ..
- Wang Y, Shao L, Shi S, Harris R, Spellman M, Stanley P, et al. Modification of epidermal growth factor-like repeats with O-fucose. Molecular cloning and expression of a novel GDP-fucose protein O-fucosyltransferase. J Biol Chem. 2001;276:40338-45 pubmed..The identification of the gene encoding protein O-fucosyltransferase I now makes possible mutational strategies to examine the functions of the unusual O-fucose post-translational modification. ..
- Ben S, Wang Q, Xia L, Xia J, Cui J, Wang J, et al. Selenoprotein dSelK in Drosophila elevates release of Ca2+ from endoplasmic reticulum by upregulating expression of inositol 1,4,5-tris-phosphate receptor. Biochemistry (Mosc). 2011;76:1030-6 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that dSelK in D. melanogaster is involved in regulating the release of Ca2+ from the ER to the cytosol and may play important roles in the signal transduction pathways involving Ca2+ mobilization. ..
- Harvey B, Rana N, Moss H, Leonardi J, Jafar Nejad H, Haltiwanger R. Mapping Sites of O-Glycosylation and Fringe Elongation on Drosophila Notch. J Biol Chem. 2016;291:16348-60 pubmed publisher..These data provide foundational information for future studies investigating the mechanisms of how O-glycosylation regulates Notch activity. ..
- Schweisguth F. Regulation of notch signaling activity. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R129-38 pubmed..Recent analyses of the cell biology of the Notch receptor have identified several fundamental mechanisms that contribute to regulate Notch signaling activity in space and time. ..
- Sakaidani Y, Nomura T, Matsuura A, Ito M, Suzuki E, Murakami K, et al. O-linked-N-acetylglucosamine on extracellular protein domains mediates epithelial cell-matrix interactions. Nat Commun. 2011;2:583 pubmed publisher..Thus, O-GlcNAcylation of secreted and membrane glycoproteins is a novel mediator of cell-cell or cell-matrix interactions at the cell surface. ..
- Ayukawa T, Matsuno K. [Regulation of notch signaling by O-linked glycosylations]. Tanpakushitsu Kakusan Koso. 2008;53:1641-8 pubmed
- Okajima T, Reddy B, Matsuda T, Irvine K. Contributions of chaperone and glycosyltransferase activities of O-fucosyltransferase 1 to Notch signaling. BMC Biol. 2008;6:1 pubmed publisherO-fucosyltransferase1 (OFUT1) is a conserved ER protein essential for Notch signaling. OFUT1 glycosylates EGF domains, which can then be further modified by the N-acetylglucosaminyltransferase Fringe...
- Svensson M, Stenberg P, Larsson J. Organization and regulation of sex-specific thioredoxin encoding genes in the genus Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 2007;217:639-50 pubmed..In addition, we show that the 50-70 C terminal amino acids of TrxT constitute a hyper-variable domain, which could play a role in sexual conflict and male-female co-evolution. ..
- Akbari O, Matzen K, Marshall J, Huang H, Ward C, Hay B. A synthetic gene drive system for local, reversible modification and suppression of insect populations. Curr Biol. 2013;23:671-7 pubmed publisher..They also show that in a population in which single-locus UD(MEL) has been carried out, repeated release of wild-type males can result in population suppression, a novel method of genetic population manipulation...
- Siudeja K, Nassari S, Gervais L, Skorski P, Lameiras S, Stolfa D, et al. Frequent Somatic Mutation in Adult Intestinal Stem Cells Drives Neoplasia and Genetic Mosaicism during Aging. Cell Stem Cell. 2015;17:663-74 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings reveal frequent genomic modification in adult stem cells and show that somatic genetic mosaicism has important functional consequences on aging tissues. ..
- Groth C, Sasamura T, Khanna M, Whitley M, Fortini M. Protein trafficking abnormalities in Drosophila tissues with impaired activity of the ZIP7 zinc transporter Catsup. Development. 2013;140:3018-27 pubmed publisher..In addition, Catsup mutant cells exhibit elevated ER stress, suggesting that impaired zinc homeostasis causes increased levels of misfolded proteins within the secretory compartment. ..
- Ahimou F, Mok L, Bardot B, Wesley C. The adhesion force of Notch with Delta and the rate of Notch signaling. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:1217-29 pubmed..Reduced turnover or Delta pulling accelerate this loss. These data suggest that strong adhesion between Notch and Delta might serve as a booster for initiating Notch signaling at a high rate. ..
- Ishio A, Sasamura T, Ayukawa T, Kuroda J, Ishikawa H, Aoyama N, et al. O-fucose monosaccharide of Drosophila Notch has a temperature-sensitive function and cooperates with O-glucose glycan in Notch transport and Notch signaling activation. J Biol Chem. 2015;290:505-19 pubmed publisher..Our findings elucidate how different forms of glycosylation on a protein can influence the protein's functions. ..
- Glavic A, López Varea A, de Celis J. The balance between GMD and OFUT1 regulates Notch signaling pathway activity by modulating Notch stability. Biol Res. 2011;44:25-34 pubmed publisher..O-fucosyltransferase-1 (OFUT1) performs the first glycosylation step in this process, O-fucosylating various EGF repeats at the Notch ..
- Perdigoto C, Schweisguth F, Bardin A. Distinct levels of Notch activity for commitment and terminal differentiation of stem cells in the adult fly intestine. Development. 2011;138:4585-95 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that a commitment requirement for high-level Notch activity safeguards the stem cells from loss through differentiation, revealing a novel role for the importance of Notch signaling levels in this system. ..
- Weng M, Haenfler J, Lee C. Changes in Notch signaling coordinates maintenance and differentiation of the Drosophila larval optic lobe neuroepithelia. Dev Neurobiol. 2012;72:1376-90 pubmed publisher..Thus, changes in Notch signaling orchestrate a dynamic balance between maintenance and conversion of neuroepithelial cells during optic lobe neurogenesis. ..
- Ogawa M, Furukawa K, Okajima T. Extracellular O-linked ?-N-acetylglucosamine: Its biology and relationship to human disease. World J Biol Chem. 2014;5:224-30 pubmed publisher..This review summarizes the current knowledge of extracellular O-GlcNAc and its implications in the pathological processes in Adams-Oliver syndrome. ..
- Luo Y, Koles K, Vorndam W, Haltiwanger R, Panin V. Protein O-fucosyltransferase 2 adds O-fucose to thrombospondin type 1 repeats. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:9393-9 pubmed..These results demonstrate that O-fucosyltransferase 2 is in fact a TSR-specific O-fucosyltransferase. ..