Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nup98-96
Description: Nucleoporin 98-96kD
Alias: CG10198, CG10201, Dmel\CG10198, NUP98, Nup, Nup 96, Nup 98, Nup-98, Nup96, Nup96-98, Nup98, Nup98-Nup96, Nup98/96, l(3)95BCd, nup145, nup98-96, nucleoporin 98-96kD, CG10198-PA, CG10198-PC, CG10198-PD, Nup98, Nup98-96-PA, Nup98-96-PC, Nup98-96-PD, nucleoporin 98, nucleoporin 98-96, nucleoporin98-96
Species: fruit fly
- Kalverda B, Pickersgill H, Shloma V, Fornerod M. Nucleoporins directly stimulate expression of developmental and cell-cycle genes inside the nucleoplasm. Cell. 2010;140:360-71 pubmed publisher..We analyzed genomic interactions of full-length nucleoporins Nup98, Nup50, and Nup62 and nucleoplasmic and NPC-tethered forms of Nup98...
- Erickson M, Galletta B, Abmayr S. Drosophila myoblast city encodes a conserved protein that is essential for myoblast fusion, dorsal closure, and cytoskeletal organization. J Cell Biol. 1997;138:589-603 pubmed
- Pascual García P, Jeong J, Capelson M. Nucleoporin Nup98 associates with Trx/MLL and NSL histone-modifying complexes and regulates Hox gene expression. Cell Rep. 2014;9:433-42 pubmed publisher..Here, we demonstrate genome-wide and physical association between Nup98 and histone-modifying complexes MBD-R2/NSL [corrected] and Trx/MLL...
- Tian X, Li J, Valakh V, DiAntonio A, Wu C. Drosophila Rae1 controls the abundance of the ubiquitin ligase Highwire in post-mitotic neurons. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1267-75 pubmed publisher..These results describe a previously unknown mechanism that selectively controls Hiw protein abundance during synaptic development. ..
- Kalverda B, Fornerod M. Characterization of genome-nucleoporin interactions in Drosophila links chromatin insulators to the nuclear pore complex. Cell Cycle. 2010;9:4812-7 pubmed..This suggests that the NPC may have a function in the structural organization of the genome. ..
- Chen X, Xu L. Specific nucleoporin requirement for Smad nuclear translocation. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4022-34 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have delineated the nucleoporin requirement of MAD nuclear import, reflecting a unique trans-NPC mechanism. ..
- Osouda S, Nakamura Y, de Saint Phalle B, McConnell M, Horigome T, Sugiyama S, et al. Null mutants of Drosophila B-type lamin Dm(0) show aberrant tissue differentiation rather than obvious nuclear shape distortion or specific defects during cell proliferation. Dev Biol. 2005;284:219-32 pubmed..In contrast, both gonadal and CNS tissues exhibited underdevelopment. ..
- Pascual García P, Debo B, Aleman J, Talamas J, Lan Y, Nguyen N, et al. Metazoan Nuclear Pores Provide a Scaffold for Poised Genes and Mediate Induced Enhancer-Promoter Contacts. Mol Cell. 2017;66:63-76.e6 pubmed publisher..In line with this binding, we uncovered a functional role for Nup98 in mediating enhancer-promoter looping at ecdysone-inducible genes...
- Burns L, Wente S. From hypothesis to mechanism: uncovering nuclear pore complex links to gene expression. Mol Cell Biol. 2014;34:2114-20 pubmed publisher..Studies of several model organisms provide credence for Nup functions in transcription, mRNA export, and genome organization...
- Kristó I, Bajusz C, Borsos B, Pankotai T, Dopie J, Jankovics F, et al. The actin binding cytoskeletal protein Moesin is involved in nuclear mRNA export. Biochim Biophys Acta Mol Cell Res. 2017;1864:1589-1604 pubmed publisher..of Moesin in the nucleus suggests a function in transcription and the depletion of mRNA export factors Nup98 or its interacting partner, Rae1, leads to the nuclear accumulation of Moesin, suggesting that the nuclear ..
- Nei M, Nozawa M. Roles of mutation and selection in speciation: from Hugo de Vries to the modern genomic era. Genome Biol Evol. 2011;3:812-29 pubmed publisher..Some authors emphasized the importance of natural selection to speed up speciation, but mutation is crucial in speciation because reproductive barriers cannot be generated without mutations. ..
- Barbash D. Nup96-dependent hybrid lethality occurs in a subset of species from the simulans clade of Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:543-52 pubmed..melanogaster Nup96 gene...
- Albert A, Schluter D. Selection and the origin of species. Curr Biol. 2005;15:R283-8 pubmed
- Freibaum B, Lu Y, López González R, Kim N, Almeida S, Lee K, et al. GGGGCC repeat expansion in C9orf72 compromises nucleocytoplasmic transport. Nature. 2015;525:129-33 pubmed publisher..These studies show that a primary consequence of G4C2 repeat expansion is the compromise of nucleocytoplasmic transport through the nuclear pore, revealing a novel mechanism of neurodegeneration. ..
- Ranz J, Díaz Castillo C, Petersen R. Conserved gene order at the nuclear periphery in Drosophila. Mol Biol Evol. 2012;29:13-6 pubmed publisher..At least in the genus Drosophila, localization of particular genomic regions at the nuclear periphery is intimately associated with their long-term integrity during evolution. ..
- Mondal B, Shim J, Evans C, Banerjee U. Pvr expression regulators in equilibrium signal control and maintenance of Drosophila blood progenitors. elife. 2014;3:e03626 pubmed publisher..signaling, we performed a genetic screen that identified bip1 (bric Ã brac interacting protein 1) and Nucleoporin 98 (Nup98) as additional regulators of the equilibrium signal...
- Sawamura K, Maehara K, Keira Y, Ishikawa H, Sasamura T, Yamakawa T, et al. A test of double interspecific introgression of nucleoporin genes in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:2101-6 pubmed publisher..simulans nucleoporin-encoding Nup96(sim) and Nup160(sim) can cause recessive lethality if the hybrid does not also inherit the D...
- Chen H, Chen X, Zheng Y. The nuclear lamina regulates germline stem cell niche organization via modulation of EGFR signaling. Cell Stem Cell. 2013;13:73-86 pubmed publisher..Thus, we have uncovered a role for the nuclear lamina in the integration of EGF signaling to regulate stem cell niche function. ..
- Orr H. The genetic basis of reproductive isolation: insights from Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102 Suppl 1:6522-6 pubmed publisher..Finally, I review recent work in Drosophila pseudoobscura on the possible role of meiotic drive in the evolution of the genes that cause postzygotic isolation...
- Keller C, Grill M, Abmayr S. A role for nautilus in the differentiation of muscle precursors. Dev Biol. 1998;202:157-71 pubmed..Thus, we suggest that nautilus functions in a subset of muscle precursors to implement their specific differentiation programs. ..
- Panda D, Pascual García P, Dunagin M, Tudor M, Hopkins K, Xu J, et al. Nup98 promotes antiviral gene expression to restrict RNA viral infection in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:E3890-9 pubmed publisher..Moreover, one-half of this program is regulated at the level of transcriptional pausing. Here we found that Nup98, a virus-induced gene, was antiviral against a panel of viruses both in cells and adult flies since its depletion ..
- Schmidt H, GÃ¶rlich D. Nup98 FG domains from diverse species spontaneously phase-separate into particles with nuclear pore-like permselectivity. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..The NPC barrier in Xenopus relies primarily on the intrinsically disordered FG domain of Nup98. We now observed that Nup98 FG domains of mammals, lancelets, insects, nematodes, fungi, plants, amoebas, ciliates,..
- Panda D, Gold B, Tartell M, Rausch K, Casas Tinto S, Cherry S. The transcription factor FoxK participates with Nup98 to regulate antiviral gene expression. MBio. 2015;6: pubmed publisher..We recently found that Nup98 regulates the expression of a subset of rapidly activated antiviral genes to restrict disparate RNA virus ..
- Stenberg P, Larsson J. Buffering and the evolution of chromosome-wide gene regulation. Chromosoma. 2011;120:213-25 pubmed publisher..In this review, we discuss the origin and function of buffering and compensation using Drosophila as a model. ..