Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nub
Alias: CG15488, CG15489, CG34395, CG6246, Dmel\CG34395, Dmel_CG15488, Dmel_CG15489, Dmel_CG6246, NUB, Nub, Oct-1, Oct1, PDM-1, PDM1, POU33F1, Pdm, Pdm-1, Pdm1, dOct1, dPOU-19, dPOU-19/pdm-1, dPOU19, pdm, pdm-1, pdm1, twn, nubbin, CG34395-PB, CG34395-PD, CG34395-PE, NUBBIN, POU domain protein 1, nub-PB, nub-PD, nub-PE, twain
Species: fruit fly
- Rauskolb C, Irvine K. Notch-mediated segmentation and growth control of the Drosophila leg. Dev Biol. 1999;210:339-50 pubmed..The Notch pathway is also deployed for segmentation during vertebrate somitogenesis, which raises the possibility of a common origin for the segmentation of these distinct tissues. ..
- Perdigoto C, Schweisguth F, Bardin A. Distinct levels of Notch activity for commitment and terminal differentiation of stem cells in the adult fly intestine. Development. 2011;138:4585-95 pubmed publisher..Our work suggests that a commitment requirement for high-level Notch activity safeguards the stem cells from loss through differentiation, revealing a novel role for the importance of Notch signaling levels in this system. ..
- Li Z, Zhang Y, Han L, Shi L, Lin X. Trachea-derived dpp controls adult midgut homeostasis in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2013;24:133-43 pubmed publisher..This work will provide important insights into the mechanisms of tissue homeostasis control by interorgan communication...
- Lee W, Beebe K, Sudmeier L, Micchelli C. Adenomatous polyposis coli regulates Drosophila intestinal stem cell proliferation. Development. 2009;136:2255-64 pubmed publisher..Together, these data underscore the essential requirement of Apc in exerting regulatory control over stem cell activity, as well as the consequences that disrupting this regulation can have on tissue homeostasis. ..
- Grosskortenhaus R, Robinson K, Doe C. Pdm and Castor specify late-born motor neuron identity in the NB7-1 lineage. Genes Dev. 2006;20:2618-27 pubmed..Embryonic neuroblasts sequentially express Hunchback, Krüppel, Pdm1/Pdm2 (Pdm), and Castor (Cas) transcription factors...
- Kambadur R, Koizumi K, Stivers C, Nagle J, Poole S, Odenwald W. Regulation of POU genes by castor and hunchback establishes layered compartments in the Drosophila CNS. Genes Dev. 1998;12:246-60 pubmed..drifter and I-POU depend on cas for full expression, whereas pdm-1 and pdm-2 are negatively regulated...
- Prakash K, Fang X, Engelberg D, Behal A, Parker C. dOct2, a Drosophila Oct transcription factor that functions in yeast. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1992;89:7080-4 pubmed..Our data strongly suggest possible functions for the Oct factor in pattern formation in Drosophila that might transcend the boundaries of genetically defined segmentation genes. ..
- Whitworth A, Russell S. Temporally dynamic response to Wingless directs the sequential elaboration of the proximodistal axis of the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2003;254:277-88 pubmed..by Wingless throughout the "wing primordium," but later is repressed by the activity of Vestigial and Nubbin, which together define a more distal domain...
- Diaz Benjumea F, Cohen S. Serrate signals through Notch to establish a Wingless-dependent organizer at the dorsal/ventral compartment boundary of the Drosophila wing. Development. 1995;121:4215-25 pubmed..Ligand independent activation of Notch is sufficient to direct Wg expression, which in turn mediates the organizing activity of the D/V boundary. ..
- Bhat K, Apsel N. Upregulation of Mitimere and Nubbin acts through cyclin E to confer self-renewing asymmetric division potential to neural precursor cells. Development. 2004;131:1123-34 pubmed..Here, we report that maintaining high levels of Mitimere or Nubbin, two POU proteins, in a GMC causes it to undergo self-renewing asymmetric divisions...
- Kalionis B, O Farrell P. A universal target sequence is bound in vitro by diverse homeodomains. Mech Dev. 1993;43:57-70 pubmed..We conclude that during the evolutionary divergence of homeodomains, the specificity of DNA binding has been much more highly conserved than the amino acid sequence. ..
- Ren F, Wang B, Yue T, Yun E, Ip Y, Jiang J. Hippo signaling regulates Drosophila intestine stem cell proliferation through multiple pathways. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:21064-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, we show that the Hpo pathway mediator Yorkie (Yki) is also required in precursor cells for injury-induced ISC proliferation in response to tissue-damaging reagent DSS. ..
- Kitamoto T, Salvaterra P. A POU homeo domain protein related to dPOU-19/pdm-1 binds to the regulatory DNA necessary for vital expression of the Drosophila choline acetyltransferase gene. J Neurosci. 1995;15:3509-18 pubmed..the 22-mer as a probe, we have isolated a cDNA clone encoding the Drosophila POU homeo domain protein, dPOU-19/pdm-1, whose target genes and specific binding sequences have not been identified...
- Mace D, Varnado N, Zhang W, Frise E, Ohler U. Extraction and comparison of gene expression patterns from 2D RNA in situ hybridization images. Bioinformatics. 2010;26:761-9 pubmed publisher..genome.duke.edu/generegulation/image_analysis/insitu firstname.lastname@example.org Supplementary data are available at Bioinformatics online. ..
- Tran K, Doe C. Pdm and Castor close successive temporal identity windows in the NB3-1 lineage. Development. 2008;135:3491-9 pubmed publisher..embryonic neural progenitors (neuroblasts) sequentially express the transcription factors Hunchback, Kruppel, Pdm1/Pdm2 (Pdm) and Castor as they generate a stereotyped sequence of neuronal and glial progeny...
- Calleja M, Herranz H, Estella C, Casal J, Lawrence P, Simpson P, et al. Generation of medial and lateral dorsal body domains by the pannier gene of Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:3971-80 pubmed..We argue that pnr acts like a classical selector gene but differs in that its expression is not propagated through cell divisions. ..
- Brewster R, Hardiman K, Deo M, Khan S, Bodmer R. The selector gene cut represses a neural cell fate that is specified independently of the Achaete-Scute-Complex and atonal. Mech Dev. 2001;105:57-68 pubmed..Thus, cut is not only required to promote an ASC-dependent mode of differentiation, but also represses an ASC- and ato-independent fate that leads to dbd and dda1 differentiation. ..
- Mathur D, Bost A, Driver I, Ohlstein B. A transient niche regulates the specification of Drosophila intestinal stem cells. Science. 2010;327:210-3 pubmed publisher..Our results demonstrate a paradigm for stem cell-niche biology, where progenitors generate transient niches that determine stem cell fate and may give insights into stem cell specification in other tissues. ..
- Shaw R, Kohlmaier A, Polesello C, Veelken C, Edgar B, Tapon N. The Hippo pathway regulates intestinal stem cell proliferation during Drosophila adult midgut regeneration. Development. 2010;137:4147-58 pubmed publisher..Our results suggest that the Hpo pathway is a mediator of the regenerative response in the Drosophila midgut. ..
- Natori K, Tajiri R, Furukawa S, Kojima T. Progressive tarsal patterning in the Drosophila by temporally dynamic regulation of transcription factor genes. Dev Biol. 2012;361:450-62 pubmed publisher..The results indicate that nubbin is expressed over a broad region at early stages but gradually disappears from the middle of the tarsal region...
- Cifuentes F, Garcia Bellido A. Proximo-distal specification in the wing disc of Drosophila by the nubbin gene. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1997;94:11405-10 pubmedMutations in the nubbin (nub) gene have a phenotype consisting of a severe wing size reduction and pattern alterations, such as transformations of distal elements into proximal ones...
- Brody T, Odenwald W. Programmed transformations in neuroblast gene expression during Drosophila CNS lineage development. Dev Biol. 2000;226:34-44 pubmed..NB) expression of four proteins, Hunchback (Hb), Pou-homeodomain proteins 1 and 2 (referred to collectively as Pdm), and Castor (Cas), identifies a transcription factor network regulating the temporal development of all ganglia...
- Dick T, Yang X, Yeo S, Chia W. Two closely linked Drosophila POU domain genes are expressed in neuroblasts and sensory elements. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1991;88:7645-9 pubmed..The mRNAs encode 601- and 475-amino acid deduced proteins; their POU domains are most related to those of the human OCT1 and OCT2...
- Novotny T, Eiselt R, Urban J. Hunchback is required for the specification of the early sublineage of neuroblast 7-3 in the Drosophila central nervous system. Development. 2002;129:1027-36 pubmed
- Bhat K, Schedl P. The Drosophila miti-mere gene, a member of the POU family, is required for the specification of the RP2/sibling lineage during neurogenesis. Development. 1994;120:1483-501 pubmed..miti is initially required in this lineage to establish the identity of the parental ganglion mother cell, GMC-1. miti must then be down-regulated to allow the asymmetric division of GMC-1 into the RP2 and its sibling cell. ..
- Cleary M, Doe C. Regulation of neuroblast competence: multiple temporal identity factors specify distinct neuronal fates within a single early competence window. Genes Dev. 2006;20:429-34 pubmed..has a single early window of competence to respond to four different temporal identity genes (Hunchback, Krüppel, Pdm, and Castor); that each of these factors specifies distinct motor neuron identities within this competence window ..
- Smith Bolton R, Worley M, Kanda H, Hariharan I. Regenerative growth in Drosophila imaginal discs is regulated by Wingless and Myc. Dev Cell. 2009;16:797-809 pubmed publisher..This system is conducive to forward genetic screens, enabling an unbiased search for genes that regulate both the extent of and the capacity for regeneration. ..
- Junell A, Uvell H, Pick L, Engstrom Y. Isolation of regulators of Drosophila immune defense genes by a double interaction screen in yeast. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2007;37:202-12 pubmed..Most interestingly, three transcription factors belonging to the POU domain class of homeodomain proteins, Pdm1, Pdm2 and Dfr/Vvl were isolated as Dif-interacting partners, and subsequently verified as regulators of CecA1 ..
- Ng M, Diaz Benjumea F, Cohen S. Nubbin encodes a POU-domain protein required for proximal-distal patterning in the Drosophila wing. Development. 1995;121:589-99 pubmedThe nubbin gene is required for normal growth and patterning of the wing in Drosophila. We report here that nubbin encodes a member of the POU family of transcription factors...
- Isshiki T, Pearson B, Holbrook S, Doe C. Drosophila neuroblasts sequentially express transcription factors which specify the temporal identity of their neuronal progeny. Cell. 2001;106:511-21 pubmed..neural precursors (neuroblasts) sequentially express the transcription factors Hunchback --> Krüppel --> Pdm --> Castor, with differentiated progeny maintaining the transcription factor profile present at their birth...
- Nakajima A, Isshiki T, Kaneko K, Ishihara S. Robustness under functional constraint: the genetic network for temporal expression in Drosophila neurogenesis. PLoS Comput Biol. 2010;6:e1000760 pubmed publisher..This study suggests that the Drosophila network for sequential expression has evolved to generate the robust temporal expression for neuronal specification. ..
- Billin A, Cockerill K, Poole S. Isolation of a family of Drosophila POU domain genes expressed in early development. Mech Dev. 1991;34:75-84 pubmed..We have isolated genomic and cDNA clones from three Drosophila POU domain genes, designated pdm-1, pdm-2, and Cf1a...
- Schroeder M, Pearce M, Fak J, Fan H, Unnerstall U, Emberly E, et al. Transcriptional control in the segmentation gene network of Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2004;2:E271 pubmed..The study demonstrates that computational methods are a powerful complement to experimental approaches in the analysis of transcription networks. ..
- Ross J, Kuzin A, Brody T, Odenwald W. cis-regulatory analysis of the Drosophila pdm locus reveals a diversity of neural enhancers. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:700 pubmed publisher..Two of the regulators essential to this network are the POU-domain TFs Nubbin and Pdm-2, encoded by adjacent genes collectively known as pdm...
- de Navascués J, Modolell J. tailup, a LIM-HD gene, and Iro-C cooperate in Drosophila dorsal mesothorax specification. Development. 2007;134:1779-88 pubmed..Our data support a model in which the EGFR and Dpp signalling pathways, with their respective downstream Iro-C and tup genes, converge and cooperate to commit cells to the notum developmental fate. ..
- Baena Lopez L, Pastor Pareja J, Resino J. Wg and Egfr signalling antagonise the development of the peripodial epithelium in Drosophila wing discs. Development. 2003;130:6497-506 pubmed..These findings suggest that suppression of Wg and Egfr activities is an early step in the development of the peripodial epithelium of the wing discs. ..
- Baena López L, García Bellido A. Genetic requirements of vestigial in the regulation of Drosophila wing development. Development. 2003;130:197-208 pubmed..These non-autonomous effects in surrounding cells result from recruitment or 'inductive assimilation' of vestigial or wingless-vestigial overexpressing cells. ..
- Ng M, Diaz Benjumea F, Vincent J, Wu J, Cohen S. Specification of the wing by localized expression of wingless protein. Nature. 1996;381:316-8 pubmed..These results define two distinct roles for the wingless gene: a primary role in specifying the wing primordium, and a subsequent role mediating the patterning activities of the DV compartment boundary. ..
- Gibert J, Joannin N, Blin M, Rigolot C, Mouchel Vielh E, Quéinnec E, et al. Heterospecific transgenesis in Drosophila suggests that engrailed.a is regulated by POU proteins in the crustacean Sacculina carcini. Dev Genes Evol. 2002;212:19-29 pubmed..a intron. We show that two DrosophilaPOU proteins, Nubbin and VVL, and Engrailed itself bind to the Sacculina en...
- Suzuki T, Sato M. Neurogenesis and neuronal circuit formation in the Drosophila visual center. Dev Growth Differ. 2014;56:491-8 pubmed publisher..Here, we review recent investigations into the development of the medulla and discuss the mechanisms that establish functional neuronal circuits. ..
- Ayala Camargo A, Anderson A, Amoyel M, Rodrigues A, Flaherty M, Bach E. JAK/STAT signaling is required for hinge growth and patterning in the Drosophila wing disc. Dev Biol. 2013;382:413-26 pubmed publisher..Within the hinge, Stat92E activity becomes restricted to gap domain cells that lack Nubbin and Teashirt...
- Samee A, Sinha S. Evaluating thermodynamic models of enhancer activity on cellular resolution gene expression data. Methods. 2013;62:79-90 pubmed publisher..Our model identifies three transcription factors--ZELDA, SLOPPY-PAIRED, and NUBBIN--that have not been previously incorporated in quantitative models of this system, as having significant ..
- Livesey R, Cepko C. Neurobiology. Developing order. Nature. 2001;413:471, 473 pubmed
- Casares F, Mann R. A dual role for homothorax in inhibiting wing blade development and specifying proximal wing identities in Drosophila. Development. 2000;127:1499-508 pubmed..Our results suggest that tsh and hth block wing blade development by repressing some of the activities of the Notch pathway at the D/V compartment boundary. ..
- Cabrera C. The generation of cell diversity during early neurogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 1992;115:893-901 pubmed
- Widmann T, Dahmann C. Wingless signaling and the control of cell shape in Drosophila wing imaginal discs. Dev Biol. 2009;334:161-73 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our data suggest that Wingless controls cell shape, in part, through maintaining vestigial expression. ..
- Mehta B, Bhat K. Slit signaling promotes the terminal asymmetric division of neural precursor cells in the Drosophila CNS. Development. 2001;128:3161-8 pubmed..In GMC-1 of the RP2/sib lineage, Slit promotes asymmetric division by down regulating two POU proteins, Nubbin and Mitimere...
- Garoia F, Guerra D, Pezzoli M, López Varea A, Cavicchi S, Garcia Bellido A. Cell behaviour of Drosophila fat cadherin mutations in wing development. Mech Dev. 2000;94:95-109 pubmed..Mutant ft cells show, in addition, smaller cell sizes during proliferation and abnormal cuticular differentiation, which reflect cell membrane and cytoskeleton anomalies, which are not modulated by the DER pathway. ..
- Gabilondo H, Stratmann J, Rubio Ferrera I, MillÃ¡n Crespo I, Contero GarcÃa P, Bahrampour S, et al. Neuronal Cell Fate Specification by the Convergence of Different Spatiotemporal Cues on a Common Terminal Selector Cascade. PLoS Biol. 2016;14:e1002450 pubmed publisher..Here, we find that the same terminal selector cascade is triggered by Kr/pdm>grn in dAp neurons, but by Antp/hth/exd/lbe/cas in Tv1 neurons...
- Korzelius J, Naumann S, Loza Coll M, Chan J, Dutta D, Oberheim J, et al. Escargot maintains stemness and suppresses differentiation in Drosophila intestinal stem cells. EMBO J. 2014;33:2967-82 pubmed publisher..One critical target of Esg was found to be the POU-domain transcription factor, Pdm1, which is normally expressed specifically in differentiated ECs...
- Tran K, Miller M, Doe C. Recombineering Hunchback identifies two conserved domains required to maintain neuroblast competence and specify early-born neuronal identity. Development. 2010;137:1421-30 pubmed publisher..We propose that Hunchback maintains early neuroblast competence by silencing a suite of late-expressed genes. ..
- Brody T, Odenwald W. Cellular diversity in the developing nervous system: a temporal view from Drosophila. Development. 2002;129:3763-70 pubmed..competence states have so far been identified, characterized by the successive expression of Hb-->Kr-->Pdm-->Cas-->Gh in many, but not all, neuroblasts...
- Gaziova I, Bhat K. Ancestry-independent fate specification and plasticity in the developmental timing of a typical Drosophila neuronal lineage. Development. 2009;136:263-74 pubmed publisher..Thus, a GMC identity can be independent of parental identity and GMC formation and elaboration need not be strictly time-bound. ..
- Skeath J. Tag team specification of a neural precursor in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous system. Bioessays. 1995;17:829-31 pubmed..A recent report details the roles that two genes, pdm-1 and pdm-2, play within an identified neural stem cell lineage in the Drosophila embryonic central nervous system...
- Perea D, Terriente J, Diaz Benjumea F. Temporal and spatial windows delimit activation of the outer ring of wingless in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2009;328:445-55 pubmed publisher..Thus, cell proliferation in the proximal-distal axis is controlled by the sequential activation of wingless in the inner ring and the outer ring at different stages of development. ..
- Nusinow D, Greenberg L, Hatini V. Reciprocal roles for bowl and lines in specifying the peripodial epithelium and the disc proper of the Drosophila wing primordium. Development. 2008;135:3031-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, we provide evidence that bowl and lines act as a binary switch to subdivide the wing primordium into PE and DP, and assign crucial roles for this asymmetry in wing growth and patterning. ..
- Turchyn N, Chesebro J, Hrycaj S, Couso J, PopadiÄ‡ A. Evolution of nubbin function in hemimetabolous and holometabolous insect appendages. Dev Biol. 2011;357:83-95 pubmed publisher..A recent study in a hemipteran, Oncopeltus fasciatus (milkweed bug), showed that nubbin (nub) affects antenna morphogenesis, labial patterning, the length of the femoral segment in legs, and the ..
- Kim M, Kim J, Kim D, Lander A, Cho K. Spatiotemporal network motif reveals the biological traits of developmental gene regulatory networks in Drosophila melanogaster. BMC Syst Biol. 2012;6:31 pubmed publisher..Taken together, the proposed concept and the simulations can be used to unravel the design principle of developmental gene regulatory networks. ..
- Hao I, Green R, Dunaevsky O, Lengyel J, Rauskolb C. The odd-skipped family of zinc finger genes promotes Drosophila leg segmentation. Dev Biol. 2003;263:282-95 pubmed
- Terriente J, Perea D, Suzanne M, Diaz Benjumea F. The Drosophila gene zfh2 is required to establish proximal-distal domains in the wing disc. Dev Biol. 2008;320:102-12 pubmed publisher..We report that in discs lacking zfh2 the limits of the expression domains of the genes tsh, nub, rn, dve and nab coincide, and expression of wg in the wing hinge, is lost...
- Eisen J. Genetic and molecular analyses of motoneuron development. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1998;8:697-704 pubmed..Many of the same molecules participate in the guidance of both vertebrate and fly motor axons. It is less clear, however, whether the same molecular mechanisms establish vertebrate and fly motoneuron identities. ..
- Peng P, Hassan Samee M, Sinha S. Incorporating chromatin accessibility data into sequence-to-expression modeling. Biophys J. 2015;108:1257-67 pubmed publisher..It also calls for future advances in modeling accessibility levels from sequence and the transregulatory context, so as to predict accurately the effect of cis and trans perturbations on gene expression. ..
- Klein T, Arias A. Different spatial and temporal interactions between Notch, wingless, and vestigial specify proximal and distal pattern elements of the wing in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1998;194:196-212 pubmed..Our results also indicate that the growth of the cells in the wing blade results from a synergistic effect of the three genes N, wg, and vg on the cells that have been specified as wing blade. ..
- Affolter M, Nellen D, Nussbaumer U, Basler K. Multiple requirements for the receptor serine/threonine kinase thick veins reveal novel functions of TGF beta homologs during Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1994;120:3105-17 pubmed..The requirements for tkv in dorsal closure, visceral mesoderm and trachea development assign novel functions to dpp or a closely related member of the TGF beta superfamily. ..
- Khan S, Abidi S, Tian Y, Skinner A, Smith Bolton R. A rapid, gentle and scalable method for dissociation and fluorescent sorting of imaginal disc cells for mRNA sequencing. Fly (Austin). 2016;10:73-80 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, this method is scalable, enabling collection of large amounts of sample for high-throughput experiments without the need for data-distorting amplifications. ..
- Endo K, Aoki T, Yoda Y, Kimura K, Hama C. Notch signal organizes the Drosophila olfactory circuitry by diversifying the sensory neuronal lineages. Nat Neurosci. 2007;10:153-60 pubmed..Thus, Notch signaling contributes to the diversification of ORNs, thereby regulating multiple developmental events that establish the olfactory map in Drosophila. ..
- Bachmann A, Knust E. Positive and negative control of Serrate expression during early development of the Drosophila wing. Mech Dev. 1998;76:67-78 pubmed..The results clearly show that some of the previously described transactivators of Serrate protein expression, e.g. fringe, act on elements required for later aspects of Serrate expression. ..