Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nrv2
Description: nervana 2
Alias: 42kDa, CG9261, Dmel\CG9261, K-ATPase, NEST:bs13c10, NaK ATPase, Na[+]/K[+] ATPase, Na[+]/K[+]-ATPase, Na[+]/K[+]ATPase, Nrv, Nrv2, Nrv2.2, ecta, l(2)SH0329, l(2)SH2 0329, l(2)k04223, l(2)k13315, nrv2.2, nervana 2, CG9261-PA, CG9261-PC, CG9261-PD, CG9261-PE, CG9261-PF, CG9261-PG, Na+/K+ ATPase, Na[+]/K[+] ATPase, ectatic, nervana, nervana2, nirvana, nirvana2, nrv2-PA, nrv2-PC, nrv2-PD, nrv2-PE, nrv2-PF, nrv2-PG
Species: fruit fly
- Schwabe T, Bainton R, Fetter R, Heberlein U, Gaul U. GPCR signaling is required for blood-brain barrier formation in drosophila. Cell. 2005;123:133-44 pubmed..Our study demonstrates the importance of morphogenetic regulation in blood-brain barrier development and places GPCR signaling at its core. ..
- Genova J, Fehon R. Neuroglian, Gliotactin, and the Na+/K+ ATPase are essential for septate junction function in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2003;161:979-89 pubmed..These findings have implications not only for invertebrate epithelia and barrier functions, but also for understanding of neuron-glial interactions in the mammalian nervous system. ..
- Sun B, Xu P, Salvaterra P. Dynamic visualization of nervous system in live Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1999;96:10438-43 pubmed..regulatory elements present in the 5' flanking DNA of the Drosophila Na(+), K(+)-ATPase beta-subunit gene Nervana2 (Nrv2)...
- Paul S, Ternet M, Salvaterra P, Beitel G. The Na+/K+ ATPase is required for septate junction function and epithelial tube-size control in the Drosophila tracheal system. Development. 2003;130:4963-74 pubmed..We show that mutations in the ATPalpha alpha and nrv2 beta subunits of the Na+/K+ ATPase cause Drosophila tracheal tubes to have increased lengths and expanded diameters...
- Paul S, Palladino M, Beitel G. A pump-independent function of the Na,K-ATPase is required for epithelial junction function and tracheal tube-size control. Development. 2007;134:147-55 pubmed..Na,K-ATPase is required for septate junction (SJ) formation and that of the three beta-subunit loci, only Nrv2 isoforms support epithelial SJ barrier function and tracheal tube-size control...
- Hall S, Bone C, Oshima K, Zhang L, McGraw M, Lucas B, et al. Macroglobulin complement-related encodes a protein required for septate junction organization and paracellular barrier function in Drosophila. Development. 2014;141:889-98 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate that Mcr is a core component of epithelial SJs and also highlight an interesting relationship between innate immunity and epithelial barrier functions. ..
- Schmidt I, Thomas S, Kain P, Risse B, Naffin E, Kl mbt C. Kinesin heavy chain function in Drosophila glial cells controls neuronal activity. J Neurosci. 2012;32:7466-76 pubmed publisher..Our work shows that the role of Khc for neuronal excitability must be considered in the light of its necessity for directed transport in glia...
- Beramendi A, Peron S, Casanova G, Reggiani C, Cantera R. Neuromuscular junction in abdominal muscles of Drosophila melanogaster during adulthood and aging. J Comp Neurol. 2007;501:498-508 pubmed
- Kaufmann N, DeProto J, Ranjan R, Wan H, Van Vactor D. Drosophila liprin-alpha and the receptor phosphatase Dlar control synapse morphogenesis. Neuron. 2002;34:27-38 pubmed..These data suggest a model where Dliprin-alpha and Dlar cooperate to regulate the formation and/or maintenance of a network of presynaptic proteins. ..
- Cash A, Andrews J. Fine scale analysis of gene expression in Drosophila melanogaster gonads reveals Programmed cell death 4 promotes the differentiation of female germline stem cells. BMC Dev Biol. 2012;12:4 pubmed publisher..We propose that Pdcd4 promotes the differentiation of GSC daughter cells by relieving the eIF4A-mediated inhibition of Bam. ..
- Baumann O, Salvaterra P, Takeyasu K. Developmental changes in beta-subunit composition of Na,K-ATPase in the Drosophila eye. Cell Tissue Res. 2010;340:215-28 pubmed publisher..contains at least three loci for the Na,K-ATPase beta-subunit; however, only the protein products of nrv1 and nrv2 have been characterized hitherto...
- Gorokhova S, Bibert S, Geering K, Heintz N. A novel family of transmembrane proteins interacting with beta subunits of the Na,K-ATPase. Hum Mol Genet. 2007;16:2394-410 pubmed..mouse NKAIN1 interacts with the beta1 subunit of the Na,K-ATPase, whereas Drosophila ortholog dNKAIN interacts with Nrv2.2, a Drosophila homolog of the Na,K-ATPase beta subunits...
- von Hilchen C, Bustos A, Giangrande A, Technau G, Altenhein B. Predetermined embryonic glial cells form the distinct glial sheaths of the Drosophila peripheral nervous system. Development. 2013;140:3657-68 pubmed publisher..This characterisation of the embryonic origin and development of each glial sheath will facilitate functional studies, as they can now be addressed distinctively and genetically manipulated in the embryo. ..
- Oshima K, Fehon R. Analysis of protein dynamics within the septate junction reveals a highly stable core protein complex that does not include the basolateral polarity protein Discs large. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:2861-71 pubmed publisher..Most SJ-associated proteins, including Coracle, Neurexin IV and Nervana 2, displayed similar, extremely immobile kinetics...
- Snow P, Patel N, Harrelson A, Goodman C. Neural-specific carbohydrate moiety shared by many surface glycoproteins in Drosophila and grasshopper embryos. J Neurosci. 1987;7:4137-44 pubmed..Although the anti-HRP Ab stains all axon pathways, 2 of the anti-HRP glycoproteins, fasciclin I and II, are expressed on specific subsets of axon pathways in the grasshopper embryo. ..
- Li Y, Zhang Z, Robinson G, Palli S. Identification and characterization of a juvenile hormone response element and its binding proteins. J Biol Chem. 2007;282:37605-17 pubmed
- Edenfeld G, Volohonsky G, Krukkert K, Naffin E, Lammel U, Grimm A, et al. The splicing factor crooked neck associates with the RNA-binding protein HOW to control glial cell maturation in Drosophila. Neuron. 2006;52:969-80 pubmed
- Tolhuis B, de Wit E, Muijrers I, Teunissen H, Talhout W, van Steensel B, et al. Genome-wide profiling of PRC1 and PRC2 Polycomb chromatin binding in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2006;38:694-9 pubmed..These results highlight the extensive involvement of PcG proteins in the coordination of development through the formation of large repressive chromatin domains. ..
- Oland L, Biebelhausen J, Tolbert L. Glial investment of the adult and developing antennal lobe of Drosophila. J Comp Neurol. 2008;509:526-50 pubmed publisher..Using flies expressing GFP under a Nervana2 driver to visualize glia for confocal microscopy, and probing at higher resolution with the electron microscope, ..
- Chen Q, Haddad G. Role of trehalose phosphate synthase and trehalose during hypoxia: from flies to mammals. J Exp Biol. 2004;207:3125-9 pubmed..The mechanism of this protection is probably related to a decrease in protein denaturation through protein-trehalose interactions. ..
- Robbins R, Gbur S, Beitel G. Non-canonical roles for Yorkie and Drosophila Inhibitor of Apoptosis 1 in epithelial tube size control. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e101609 pubmed publisher..Strikingly, there is no change in tracheal cell number in DIAP1 or Ice mutants, thus epithelial tube size regulation defines new non-apoptotic roles for Yki, DIAP1 and Ice. ..
- Luan Z, Reddig K, Li H. Loss of Na(+)/K(+)-ATPase in Drosophila photoreceptors leads to blindness and age-dependent neurodegeneration. Exp Neurol. 2014;261:791-801 pubmed publisher..This work also establishes Drosophila photoreceptors as a genetic model for studying the cell-autonomous mechanisms underlying neuronal Na(+)/K(+) ATPase deficiency-mediated neurodegeneration. ..
- Górska Andrzejak J. Glia-related circadian plasticity in the visual system of Diptera. Front Physiol. 2013;4:36 pubmed publisher..This paper summarizes the morphological and biochemical rhythms in glia of the optic lobe, shows how they contribute to circadian plasticity, and discusses how glial clocks may modulate circadian rhythms in the lamina. ..
- Lowe N, Rees J, Roote J, Ryder E, Armean I, Johnson G, et al. Analysis of the expression patterns, subcellular localisations and interaction partners of Drosophila proteins using a pigP protein trap library. Development. 2014;141:3994-4005 pubmed publisher..Our resource substantially increases the number of available protein traps in Drosophila and identifies new markers for cellular organelles and structures. ..
- Jan L, Jan Y. Antibodies to horseradish peroxidase as specific neuronal markers in Drosophila and in grasshopper embryos. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1982;79:2700-4 pubmed..We have used the anti-HRPeroxase antibodies to show that mutations affecting segmentation in Drosophila affect the organization of the embryonic nervous system. ..
- Younossi Hartenstein A, Nguyen B, Shy D, Hartenstein V. Embryonic origin of the Drosophila brain neuropile. J Comp Neurol. 2006;497:981-98 pubmed..This suggests that spatial information residing within neurons, rather than glial cells, specifies the location and initial shape of neuropile compartments. ..
- Nair S, Agrawal N, Hasan G. Homeostasis of glutamate neurotransmission is altered in Drosophila Inositol 1,4,5-trisphosphate receptor mutants. Invert Neurosci. 2007;7:137-47 pubmed
- Larsen C, Shy D, Spindler S, Fung S, Pereanu W, Younossi Hartenstein A, et al. Patterns of growth, axonal extension and axonal arborization of neuronal lineages in the developing Drosophila brain. Dev Biol. 2009;335:289-304 pubmed publisher..Arbors of secondary neurons form within or adjacent to the larval compartments, resulting in smaller compartment subdivisions and additional, adult specific compartments. ..
- Sun B, Xu P, Wang W, Salvaterra P. In vivo modification of Na(+),K(+)-ATPase activity in Drosophila. Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2001;130:521-36 pubmed..of alpha transgenes to cell types that normally express a particular Drosophila Na(+),K(+)-ATPase beta (Nervana) subunit isoform (Nrv1 or 2)...
- Roy M, Sivan Loukianova E, Eberl D. Cell-type-specific roles of Na+/K+ ATPase subunits in Drosophila auditory mechanosensation. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:181-6 pubmed publisher..We knocked down expression of ? subunits (ATP? and ?-like) and ? subunits (nrv1, nrv2, and nrv3) individually in JO with UAS/Gal4-mediated RNAi...
- Baer M, Bilstein A, Leptin M. A clonal genetic screen for mutants causing defects in larval tracheal morphogenesis in Drosophila. Genetics. 2007;176:2279-91 pubmed..In particular we found a range of defects in terminal cells, including failure in lumen formation and reduced or extensive branching. Other mutations affect cell growth, cell shape, and cell migration. ..
- Górska Andrzejak J, Salvaterra P, Meinertzhagen I, Krzeptowski W, Görlich A, Pyza E. Cyclical expression of Na+/K+-ATPase in the visual system of Drosophila melanogaster. J Insect Physiol. 2009;55:459-68 pubmed publisher..We examined alpha-subunit expression from the intensity of immunolabeling. For the beta-subunit, encoded by Nervana 2 (Nrv2), we used Nrv2-GAL4 to drive expression of GFP, and measured the resultant fluorescence in whole heads and ..
- Rendic D, Linder A, Paschinger K, Borth N, Wilson I, Fabini G. Modulation of neural carbohydrate epitope expression in Drosophila melanogaster cells. J Biol Chem. 2006;281:3343-53 pubmed..The present study, in conjunction with our previous in vitro data, thereby shows that FucTA is indispensable for expression of the neural carbohydrate epitope in Drosophila cells. ..
- Damulewicz M, Loboda A, Bukowska Strakova K, Jozkowicz A, Dulak J, Pyza E. Clock and clock-controlled genes are differently expressed in the retina, lamina and in selected cells of the visual system of Drosophila melanogaster. Front Cell Neurosci. 2015;9:353 pubmed publisher..expression of the following clock genes; per, tim, clk, and cry and clock-controlled genes (ccgs); AtpÎ±, nrv2, brp, Pdfr. We found that the expression of gene studied is specific for the retina and lamina...
- Fung S, Wang F, Chase M, Godt D, Hartenstein V. Expression profile of the cadherin family in the developing Drosophila brain. J Comp Neurol. 2008;506:469-88 pubmed..We conclude from this analysis that cadherins are likely to play a role in 'generic' neural functions, such as neurite fasciculation, branching, and synapse formation. ..
- Nelson K, Khan Z, Molnar I, Mihaly J, Kaschube M, Beitel G. Drosophila Src regulates anisotropic apical surface growth to control epithelial tube size. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:518-25 pubmed publisher..Thus, Src42 and dDaam control tube dimensions by regulating the direction of anisotropic growth, a mechanism that has not previously been described. ..
- Chen Q, Ma E, Behar K, Xu T, Haddad G. Role of trehalose phosphate synthase in anoxia tolerance and development in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2002;277:3274-9 pubmed..We conclude that trehalose contributes to anoxia tolerance in flies; this protection is likely to be due to a reduction of protein aggregation. ..
- MacMillan H, Ferguson L, Nicolai A, Donini A, Staples J, Sinclair B. Parallel ionoregulatory adjustments underlie phenotypic plasticity and evolution of Drosophila cold tolerance. J Exp Biol. 2015;218:423-32 pubmed publisher..We propose that this could have served as an evolutionary route by which chill-susceptible insects developed more extreme cold tolerance strategies. ..
- Spindler S, Ortiz I, Fung S, Takashima S, Hartenstein V. Drosophila cortex and neuropile glia influence secondary axon tract growth, pathfinding, and fasciculation in the developing larval brain. Dev Biol. 2009;334:355-68 pubmed publisher..In this study, we use the nirvana2-GAL4 driver to visualize the association of cortex and neuropile glia with axon tracts formed by different brain ..
- Del Castillo U, Lu W, Winding M, Lakonishok M, Gelfand V. Pavarotti/MKLP1 regulates microtubule sliding and neurite outgrowth in Drosophila neurons. Curr Biol. 2015;25:200-5 pubmed publisher..These data suggest an important parallel between long microtubule-microtubule sliding in anaphase B and sliding of interphase microtubules during neurite formation. ..
- Lu W, Lakonishok M, Gelfand V. Kinesin-1-powered microtubule sliding initiates axonal regeneration in Drosophila cultured neurons. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:1296-307 pubmed publisher..These events are required for reactivation of microtubule sliding at the initial stages of regeneration. Furthermore, the c-Jun N-terminal kinase pathway promotes regeneration by enhancing microtubule sliding in injured mature neurons. ..