Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: NPF
Description: neuropeptide F
Alias: CG10342, Dm-NPF, DmNPF, Dmel\CG10342, Drm-NPF, NP-PP, NPF-A1, NPF-A2, NPF89D3, Npf, dNPF, dnpf, npf, neuropeptide F, CG10342-PA, CG10342-PB, CG10342-PC, NPF-PA, NPF-PB, NPF-PC, NPY-like neuropeptide F, long neuropeptide F, neuropeptide F 1, neuropeptide-F
Species: fruit fly
- Kahsai L, Winther A. Chemical neuroanatomy of the Drosophila central complex: distribution of multiple neuropeptides in relation to neurotransmitters. J Comp Neurol. 2011;519:290-315 pubmed publisher..of acetylcholine, glutamate, GABA, monoamines, and eight different neuropeptides; Drosophila tachykinin, short neuropeptide F, myoinhibitory peptide, allatostatin A, proctolin, SIFamide, neuropeptide F, and FMRFamide...
- He C, Cong X, Zhang R, Wu D, An C, Zhao Z. Regulation of circadian locomotor rhythm by neuropeptide Y-like system in Drosophila melanogaster. Insect Mol Biol. 2013;22:376-88 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that neuropeptide F (NPF), a homologue of mammalian neuropeptide Y, and its G protein-coupled receptor NPFR1 regulate the ..
- Lee K, You K, Choo J, Han Y, Yu K. Drosophila short neuropeptide F regulates food intake and body size. J Biol Chem. 2004;279:50781-9 pubmed..Recently, Drosophila neuropeptide F, which is the homolog of the vertebrate neuropeptide Y, was cloned, and the function of Drosophila ..
- Wu Q, Zhang Y, Xu J, Shen P. Regulation of hunger-driven behaviors by neural ribosomal S6 kinase in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:13289-94 pubmed..of food preference but not ingestion rate may involve direct signaling by DILPs to neurons expressing neuropeptide F receptor 1, a receptor for neuropeptide Y-like neuropeptide F...
- Lee G, Bahn J, Park J. Sex- and clock-controlled expression of the neuropeptide F gene in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:12580-5 pubmedDrosophila neuropeptide F (NPF), a homolog of vertebrate neuropeptide Y, functions in feeding and coordination of behavioral changes in larvae and in modulation of alcohol sensitivity in adults, suggesting diverse roles for this peptide...
- Dierick H, Greenspan R. Serotonin and neuropeptide F have opposite modulatory effects on fly aggression. Nat Genet. 2007;39:678-82 pubmed..Here we show in Drosophila melanogaster that both 5-HT and neuropeptide F, the invertebrate homolog of neuropeptide Y, modulate aggression...
- Garczynski S, Brown M, Shen P, Murray T, Crim J. Characterization of a functional neuropeptide F receptor from Drosophila melanogaster. Peptides. 2002;23:773-80 pubmedPotential receptors for Drosophila neuropeptide F (DmNPF) were identified in the genome database. One receptor (DmNPFR1) sequence resembled the Lymnaea NPY receptor, an invertebrate homolog of the vertebrate Y-receptor family...
- Brown M, Crim J, Arata R, Cai H, Chun C, Shen P. Identification of a Drosophila brain-gut peptide related to the neuropeptide Y family. Peptides. 1999;20:1035-42 pubmedA neuropeptide F (NPF) was isolated from the fruit fly, Drosophila mellanogaster, based on a radioimmunoassay for a gut peptide from the corn earworm, Helicoverpa zea...
- Veenstra J, Ida T. More Drosophila enteroendocrine peptides: Orcokinin B and the CCHamides 1 and 2. Cell Tissue Res. 2014;357:607-21 pubmed publisher..We also made a specific polyclonal antiserum to the NPF precursor in order to determine more precisely the expression of this peptide in the midgut...
- NÃ¤ssel D, Williams M. Cholecystokinin-Like Peptide (DSK) in Drosophila, Not Only for Satiety Signaling. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2014;5:219 pubmed publisher..Activity in the DSK-producing neurons is regulated by octopamine. We discuss mechanisms behind CCK function in satiety, aggression, and locomotion in some detail and highlight similarities to mammalian CCK signaling. ..
- Sokolowski M. NPY and the regulation of behavioral development. Neuron. 2003;39:6-8 pubmed..In this issue of Neuron, Wu et al. show a dual role for the Drosophila NPY (dNPF) in the developmental regulation of larval foraging and social behaviors, demonstrating a conserved role for this ..
- Garczynski S, Crim J, Brown M. Characterization of neuropeptide F and its receptor from the African malaria mosquito, Anopheles gambiae. Peptides. 2005;26:99-107 pubmedThe genome of Anopheles gambiae contains sequences encoding a neuropeptide F (Ang-NPF) and NPF receptor (Ang-NPFR) related to the neuropeptide Y signaling family. cDNAs for each were cloned and sequenced...
- Ida T, Takahashi T, Tominaga H, Sato T, Kume K, Ozaki M, et al. Identification of the novel bioactive peptides dRYamide-1 and dRYamide-2, ligands for a neuropeptide Y-like receptor in Drosophila. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;410:872-7 pubmed publisher..Vertebrate neuropeptide Y (NPY) is a potent stimulator of appetitive behavior. Recently, Drosophila neuropeptide F (dNPF) and short NPF (sNPF), the Drosophila homologs of the vertebrate NPY, were identified to characterize ..
- Kondo S, Ueda R. Highly improved gene targeting by germline-specific Cas9 expression in Drosophila. Genetics. 2013;195:715-21 pubmed publisher..3-23%. Our method is readily scalable to high-throughput gene targeting, thereby accelerating comprehensive functional annotation of the Drosophila genome. ..
- Chiang A, Lin C, Chuang C, Chang H, Hsieh C, Yeh C, et al. Three-dimensional reconstruction of brain-wide wiring networks in Drosophila at single-cell resolution. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1-11 pubmed publisher..We found that the Drosophila brain is assembled from families of multiple LPUs and their interconnections. This provides an essential first step in the analysis of information processing within and between neurons in a complete brain. ..
- Morozova T, Goldman D, Mackay T, Anholt R. The genetic basis of alcoholism: multiple phenotypes, many genes, complex networks. Genome Biol. 2012;13:239 pubmed publisher..Alcoholism is a significant public health problem. A picture of the genetic architecture underlying alcohol-related phenotypes is emerging from genome-wide association studies and work on genetically tractable model organisms. ..
- Rieger D, Wülbeck C, Rouyer F, Helfrich Forster C. Period gene expression in four neurons is sufficient for rhythmic activity of Drosophila melanogaster under dim light conditions. J Biol Rhythms. 2009;24:271-82 pubmed publisher..M and E oscillator function may not be restricted to certain anatomically defined groups of clock neurons but instead depends on the environmental conditions. ..
- Johnson E, Bohn L, Taghert P. Drosophila CG8422 encodes a functional diuretic hormone receptor. J Exp Biol. 2004;207:743-8 pubmed..The identification of a Drosophila receptor for the DH neuropeptide provides a basis for genetic analysis of this critical factor's roles in maintaining physiological homeostasis. ..
- Erion R, Sehgal A. Regulation of insect behavior via the insulin-signaling pathway. Front Physiol. 2013;4:353 pubmed publisher..Here we review the role of insulin signaling in two specific insect behaviors: feeding and locomotion. ..
- Pool A, Scott K. Feeding regulation in Drosophila. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2014;29:57-63 pubmed publisher..These neuromodulators in turn promote or inhibit discrete feeding behavioral subprograms. This review highlights the links between physiological needs, neuromodulatory states, and feeding decisions. ..
- Johard H, Enell L, Gustafsson E, Trifilieff P, Veenstra J, Nassel D. Intrinsic neurons of Drosophila mushroom bodies express short neuropeptide F: relations to extrinsic neurons expressing different neurotransmitters. J Comp Neurol. 2008;507:1479-96 pubmed publisher..Here we show expression of the gene snpf and its neuropeptide products (short neuropeptide F; sNPFs) in larval and adult Drosophila Kenyon cells by means of in situ hybridization and antisera against ..
- Slade J, Staveley B. Manipulation of components that control feeding behavior in Drosophila melanogaster increases sensitivity to amino acid starvation. Genet Mol Res. 2016;15: pubmed publisher..b>Neuropeptide F (NPF), a homolog of the mammalian neuropeptide Y, acts to induce feeding within the homeostatic regulation of ..
- Erion R, King A, Wu G, Hogenesch J, Sehgal A. Neural clocks and Neuropeptide F/Y regulate circadian gene expression in a peripheral metabolic tissue. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..which cycle in the fat body independently of the local clock, depends upon clocks in neurons expressing neuropeptide F (NPF)...
- Zwarts L, Versteven M, Callaerts P. Genetics and neurobiology of aggression in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2012;6:35-48 pubmed publisher..The state of the art on aggression in Drosophila and the many opportunities provided by this model organism to unravel the genetic and neurobiological basis of aggression are reviewed. ..
- Shohat Ophir G, Kaun K, Azanchi R, Mohammed H, Heberlein U. Sexual deprivation increases ethanol intake in Drosophila. Science. 2012;335:1351-5 pubmed publisher..In males, mating increased, whereas sexual deprivation reduced, neuropeptide F (NPF) levels. Activation or inhibition of the NPF system in turn reduced or enhanced ethanol preference...
- Chung B, Ro J, Hutter S, Miller K, Guduguntla L, Kondo S, et al. Drosophila Neuropeptide F Signaling Independently Regulates Feeding and Sleep-Wake Behavior. Cell Rep. 2017;19:2441-2450 pubmed publisher..Here, we provide evidence that the Drosophila Neuropeptide F (NPF) network forms a critical component of both adult sleep and feeding regulation...
- Reiher W, Shirras C, Kahnt J, Baumeister S, Isaac R, Wegener C. Peptidomics and peptide hormone processing in the Drosophila midgut. J Proteome Res. 2011;10:1881-92 pubmed publisher..The identification of enteroendocrine peptides in the fruit fly provides a platform to address functions of gut peptide hormones in the regulation of feeding and metabolism. ..
- Carlsson M, Enell L, Nassel D. Distribution of short neuropeptide F and its receptor in neuronal circuits related to feeding in larval Drosophila. Cell Tissue Res. 2013;353:511-23 pubmed publisherFour forms of short neuropeptide F (sNPF1-4), derived from the gene snpf, have been identified in Drosophila and are known to act on a single G-protein-coupled receptor (sNPFR)...
- Perisse E, Burke C, Huetteroth W, Waddell S. Shocking revelations and saccharin sweetness in the study of Drosophila olfactory memory. Curr Biol. 2013;23:R752-63 pubmed publisher..We emphasize that considering an ethologically-relevant viewpoint might provide additional experimental power in studies of Drosophila memory. ..
- Amcheslavsky A, Song W, Li Q, Nie Y, Bragatto I, Ferrandon D, et al. Enteroendocrine cells support intestinal stem-cell-mediated homeostasis in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2014;9:32-9 pubmed publisher..These results establish that enteroendocrine cells serve as an important link between diet and visceral muscle expression of an insulin-like growth factor to stimulate intestinal stem cell proliferation and tissue growth. ..
- Xu J, Sornborger A, Lee J, Shen P. Drosophila TRPA channel modulates sugar-stimulated neural excitation, avoidance and social response. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:676-82 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate how an avoidance mechanism is recruited to facilitate animal development. ..
- Kim W, Jan L, Jan Y. A PDF/NPF neuropeptide signaling circuitry of male Drosophila melanogaster controls rival-induced prolonged mating. Neuron. 2013;80:1190-205 pubmed publisher..in four s-LNv neurons and its receptor PDFR in two LNd neurons per hemisphere, as well as the function of neuropeptide F (NPF) in two neurons within the sexually dimorphic LNd region and its receptor NPFR1 in four s-LNv neurons per ..
- Beshel J, Zhong Y. Graded encoding of food odor value in the Drosophila brain. J Neurosci. 2013;33:15693-704 pubmed publisher..two-photon calcium imaging shows the amplitude of food odor-evoked activity in neurons expressing Drosophila neuropeptide F (dNPF), the neuropeptide Y homolog, strongly correlates with food-odor attractiveness...
- De Loof A, Baggerman G, Breuer M, Claeys I, Cerstiaens A, Clynen E, et al. Gonadotropins in insects: an overview. Arch Insect Biochem Physiol. 2001;47:129-38 pubmed..The seeming absence of uniformity in gonadotropins in insects might be due to a multitude of factors that can stimulate ecdysteroid production and/or to the use of different bioassays. Arch. ..
- Wegener C, Gorbashov A. Molecular evolution of neuropeptides in the genus Drosophila. Genome Biol. 2008;9:R131 pubmed publisher..The last common ancestor of Drosophila obviously had a set of neuropeptides and peptide hormones identical to that of modern fruit flies. This is remarkable, since drosophilid flies have adapted to very different environments. ..
- Marella S, Mann K, Scott K. Dopaminergic modulation of sucrose acceptance behavior in Drosophila. Neuron. 2012;73:941-50 pubmed publisher..These studies demonstrate the marked specificity of dopamine signaling and provide a foundation to examine neural mechanisms of feeding modulation in the fly. ..
- Bendena W, Campbell J, Zara L, Tobe S, Chin Sang I. Select Neuropeptides and their G-Protein Coupled Receptors in Caenorhabditis Elegans and Drosophila Melanogaster. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2012;3:93 pubmed publisher..melanogaster and C. elegans and the behaviors that have been uncovered through genetic manipulation. ..
- Zhang T, Branch A, Shen P. Octopamine-mediated circuit mechanism underlying controlled appetite for palatable food in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:15431-6 pubmed publisher..Our findings provide fresh insight for the neurobiology and evolution of appetitive motivation. ..
- Johard H, Yoishii T, Dircksen H, Cusumano P, Rouyer F, Helfrich Forster C, et al. Peptidergic clock neurons in Drosophila: ion transport peptide and short neuropeptide F in subsets of dorsal and ventral lateral neurons. J Comp Neurol. 2009;516:59-73 pubmed publisher..Among the six LN(d)s, ITP was found in one that coexpresses long neuropeptide F (NPF) and cryptochrome...
- Lee S, Kim Y, Jones W. Central peptidergic modulation of peripheral olfactory responses. BMC Biol. 2017;15:35 pubmed publisher..Here, we show in Drosophila melanogaster that neuropeptide F (NPF) modulates the responses of a specific population of antennal olfactory sensory neurons (OSNs) to food-..
- Gendron C, Kuo T, Harvanek Z, Chung B, Yew J, Dierick H, et al. Drosophila life span and physiology are modulated by sexual perception and reward. Science. 2014;343:544-8 pubmed publisher..Neurons that express the reward-mediating neuropeptide F are also required for pheromone effects...
- Thomas A, Lee P, Dalton J, Nomie K, Stoica L, Costa Mattioli M, et al. A versatile method for cell-specific profiling of translated mRNAs in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40276 pubmed publisher..This method can be used to determine the unique translatome profiles in different cell-types under varied physiological, pharmacological and pathological conditions. ..
- Shen P, Cai H. Drosophila neuropeptide F mediates integration of chemosensory stimulation and conditioning of the nervous system by food. J Neurobiol. 2001;47:16-25 pubmed..Using in situ RNA hybridization and immunocytochemistry, we report the neuronal network of Drosophila neuropeptide F (dNPF), a human NPY homologue, in the larval central nervous system and its food-dependent modifications...
- Feng G, Reale V, Chatwin H, Kennedy K, Venard R, Ericsson C, et al. Functional characterization of a neuropeptide F-like receptor from Drosophila melanogaster. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;18:227-38 pubmed..Maximum receptor activation was achieved with short, putative Drosophila neuropeptide F peptides (Drm-sNPF-1, 2 and 2s)...
- Johnson E, Shafer O, Trigg J, Park J, Schooley D, Dow J, et al. A novel diuretic hormone receptor in Drosophila: evidence for conservation of CGRP signaling. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1239-46 pubmed..Therefore, it appears that both the molecular details as well as the functional organization of CGRP signaling have been conserved. ..
- Wang Y, Pu Y, Shen P. Neuropeptide-gated perception of appetitive olfactory inputs in Drosophila larvae. Cell Rep. 2013;3:820-30 pubmed publisher..Deficiencies in the signaling of neuropeptide F (NPF), the fly counterpart of neuropeptide Y (NPY), blocked appetitive odor-induced feeding by disrupting ..
- Collin C, Hauser F, Krogh Meyer P, Hansen K, González de Valdivia E, Williamson M, et al. Identification of the Drosophila and Tribolium receptors for the recently discovered insect RYamide neuropeptides. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;412:578-83 pubmed publisher..while the Drosophila RYamide receptor is only very slightly activated by high concentrations (>10(-6)M) of neuropeptide F and short neuropeptide F-1, showing that the two RYamide receptors are quite specific for activation by insect ..
- Shang Y, Donelson N, Vecsey C, Guo F, Rosbash M, Griffith L. Short neuropeptide F is a sleep-promoting inhibitory modulator. Neuron. 2013;80:171-83 pubmed publisher..regulation, we screened for sleep-promoting cells and identified neurons expressing neuropeptide Y-like short neuropeptide F (sNPF). Sleep induction by sNPF meets all relevant criteria...
- He C, Yang Y, Zhang M, Price J, Zhao Z. Regulation of sleep by neuropeptide Y-like system in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e74237 pubmed publisher..In mammals, neuropeptide Y (NPY), a homolog of Drosophila neuropeptide F (NPF), is involved in sleep regulation, with different effects in human and rat...
- Grewal S. Controlling animal growth and body size - does fruit fly physiology point the way?. F1000 Biol Rep. 2012;4:12 pubmed publisher..While this concept is obviously not new, these fly studies now open up the possibility of using a genetically tractable system to dissect in detail how organ-to-organ communication dictates body size. ..
- Buch S, Melcher C, Bauer M, Katzenberger J, Pankratz M. Opposing effects of dietary protein and sugar regulate a transcriptional target of Drosophila insulin-like peptide signaling. Cell Metab. 2008;7:321-32 pubmed publisher..tobi is thus a target of the insulin- and glucagon-like signaling system that responds oppositely to dietary protein and sugar. ..