Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nompC
Description: no mechanoreceptor potential C
Alias: CG11020, CG17468, CT30855, DmNompC, Dmel\CG11020, NOMPC, NompC, ORE-13, TRPN, TRPN1, jf24, l(2)25Dc, l(2)jf24, nomp, no mechanoreceptor potential C, CG11020-PD, CG11020-PE, CG11020-PF, CG11020-PG, CG11020-PH, No Mechano-receptor potential C, No mechanoreceptor potential C, TRPN, lethal(2)25Dc, nompC-PD, nompC-PE, nompC-PF, nompC-PG, nompC-PH
Species: fruit fly
- Petersen L, Stowers R. A Gateway MultiSite recombination cloning toolkit. PLoS ONE. 2011;6:e24531 pubmed publisher..An inventory of entry clones and destination vectors for Gateway MultiSite cloning has also been established (www.gatewaymultisite.org). ..
- Lehnert B, Baker A, Gaudry Q, Chiang A, Wilson R. Distinct roles of TRP channels in auditory transduction and amplification in Drosophila. Neuron. 2013;77:115-28 pubmed publisher..We find that the TRPN family member NompC, which is necessary for the active amplification of sound-evoked motion by the auditory organ, is not required for ..
- Kernan M, Cowan D, Zuker C. Genetic dissection of mechanosensory transduction: mechanoreception-defective mutations of Drosophila. Neuron. 1994;12:1195-206 pubmed..These mutants provide the basis for a genetic, electrophysiological, and molecular dissection of mechanotransduction. ..
- Liang X, Madrid J, Saleh H, Howard J. NOMPC, a member of the TRP channel family, localizes to the tubular body and distal cilium of Drosophila campaniform and chordotonal receptor cells. Cytoskeleton (Hoboken). 2011;68:1-7 pubmed publisher..Here, we report antibody localization of NOMPC, a member of the transient receptor potential (TRP) ion channel family, to the tubular body of campaniform ..
- Lee J, Moon S, Cha Y, Chung Y. Drosophila TRPN(=NOMPC) channel localizes to the distal end of mechanosensory cilia. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e11012 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila TRPN homolog, NOMPC, is required to generate mechanoreceptor potentials and currents in tactile bristles...
- Liu L, Li Y, Wang R, Yin C, Dong Q, Hing H, et al. Drosophila hygrosensation requires the TRP channels water witch and nanchung. Nature. 2007;450:294-8 pubmed..Construction of the hygrosensing system with opposing receptors may allow an organism to very sensitively detect changes in environmental humidity. ..
- Gopfert M, Albert J, Nadrowski B, Kamikouchi A. Specification of auditory sensitivity by Drosophila TRP channels. Nat Neurosci. 2006;9:999-1000 pubmed..auditory mechanics in Drosophila melanogaster mutants shows that the transient receptor potential (TRP) channel NompC is required to promote this feedback, whereas the TRP vanilloid (TRPV) channels Nan and Iav serve to control the ..
- Effertz T, Wiek R, Gopfert M. NompC TRP channel is essential for Drosophila sound receptor function. Curr Biol. 2011;21:592-7 pubmed publisherThe idea that the NompC TRPN1 channel is the Drosophila transducer for hearing has been challenged by remnant sound-evoked nerve potentials in nompC nulls...
- Eberl D, Hardy R, Kernan M. Genetically similar transduction mechanisms for touch and hearing in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2000;20:5981-8 pubmed..This suggests that in addition to the shared transduction mechanism, axonemal integrity and possibly ciliary motility are required for signal amplification or transduction by chordotonal sensory neurons. ..
- Cheng L, Song W, Looger L, Jan L, Jan Y. The role of the TRP channel NompC in Drosophila larval and adult locomotion. Neuron. 2010;67:373-80 pubmed publisher..We have found that the proper function of NompC, a putative mechanosensitive TRP channel, is not only required for fly locomotion, but also crucial for larval ..
- Lu B, Lamora A, Sun Y, Welsh M, Ben Shahar Y. ppk23-Dependent chemosensory functions contribute to courtship behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002587 pubmed publisher..Together, these data indicate that ppk23 and the cells expressing it play an important role in the peripheral sensory system that determines sexual behavior in Drosophila. ..
- Montell C. Drosophila TRP channels. Pflugers Arch. 2005;451:19-28 pubmed..As a result, the repertoire of biological roles attributed to Drosophila TRPs has increased considerably and is likely to lead to many additional surprises over the next few years. ..
- Liang X, Madrid J, Gärtner R, Verbavatz J, Schiklenk C, Wilsch Bräuninger M, et al. A NOMPC-dependent membrane-microtubule connector is a candidate for the gating spring in fly mechanoreceptors. Curr Biol. 2013;23:755-63 pubmed publisher..These filaments colocalize with the ankyrin-repeat domain of the transient receptor potential (TRP) channel NOMPC. In addition, they resemble the purified ankyrin-repeat domain in size and shape...
- Park J, Lee J, Shim J, Han W, Lee J, Bae Y, et al. dTULP, the Drosophila melanogaster homolog of tubby, regulates transient receptor potential channel localization in cilia. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003814 pubmed publisher..TRPN (NompC) and TRPV (Inactive) channels are localized in the distal and proximal ciliary zones of auditory receptor neurons, ..
- Murphy T, Luu D, DeSimone J, O Brien T, Lally C, Lindblad J, et al. A Behavioral Assay for Mechanosensation of MARCM-based Clones in Drosophila melanogaster. J Vis Exp. 2015;:e53537 pubmed publisher..Mutations that interfere with mechanotransduction (such as NOMPC), or with other aspects of the reflex arc, can inhibit the grooming response...
- Maia R, Valente V, Cunha M, Sousa J, Araujo D, Silva W, et al. Identification of unannotated exons of low abundance transcripts in Drosophila melanogaster and cloning of a new serine protease gene upregulated upon injury. BMC Genomics. 2007;8:249 pubmed..Our results show that the computational identification and manual inspection are not sufficient to annotate a genome in the absence of experimentally derived data. ..
- Zhang W, Yan Z, Jan L, Jan Y. Sound response mediated by the TRP channels NOMPC, NANCHUNG, and INACTIVE in chordotonal organs of Drosophila larvae. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:13612-7 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, our study implicates the transient receptor potential (TRP) channels NOMPC, NANCHUNG, and INACTIVE, but not the dmPIEZO channel, in the mechanotransduction and/or signal amplification for ..
- Kwon Y, Shim H, Wang X, Montell C. Control of thermotactic behavior via coupling of a TRP channel to a phospholipase C signaling cascade. Nat Neurosci. 2008;11:871-3 pubmed publisher..We propose that activation of TRPA1 through a signaling cascade promotes amplification of small differences in temperature and facilitates adaptation to temperatures within the comfortable range. ..
- Fowler M, Montell C. Drosophila TRP channels and animal behavior. Life Sci. 2013;92:394-403 pubmed publisher..quot; Drosophila TRPs also function in the sensation of botanically derived insect repellents, and related TRPs in insect pests are potential targets for the development of improved repellents to combat insect-borne diseases. ..
- Gong J, Wang Q, Wang Z. NOMPC is likely a key component of Drosophila mechanotransduction channels. Eur J Neurosci. 2013;38:2057-64 pubmed publisher..Drosophila melanogaster nompC (no mechanoreceptor potential C) has been shown to be essential for mechanotransduction in flies, yet there is no direct evidence ..
- Ramdya P, Lichocki P, Cruchet S, Frisch L, Tse W, Floreano D, et al. Mechanosensory interactions drive collective behaviour in Drosophila. Nature. 2015;519:233-6 pubmed publisher..behaviour require the activity of distal leg mechanosensory sensilla neurons and the mechanosensory channel NOMPC. Remarkably, through these inter-fly encounters, wild-type flies can elicit avoidance behaviour in mutant animals ..
- Eberl D, Lorenz L, Melnick M, Sood V, Lasko P, Perrimon N. A new enhancer of position-effect variegation in Drosophila melanogaster encodes a putative RNA helicase that binds chromosomes and is regulated by the cell cycle. Genetics. 1997;146:951-63 pubmed
- Miskolczi McCallum C, Scavetta R, Svendsen P, Soanes K, Brook W. The Drosophila melanogaster T-box genes midline and H15 are conserved regulators of heart development. Dev Biol. 2005;278:459-72 pubmed..Conservation of Tbx20 expression and function in cardiac development lends further support for a common ancestral origin of the insect dorsal vessel and the vertebrate heart. ..
- Nguyen M, Stone M, Rolls M. Microtubules are organized independently of the centrosome in Drosophila neurons. Neural Dev. 2011;6:38 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the centrosome is not a major site of microtubule nucleation in Drosophila neurons, and is not required for maintenance of neuronal microtubule organization in these cells. ..
- Newton F, zur Lage P, Karak S, Moore D, Gopfert M, Jarman A. Forkhead transcription factor Fd3F cooperates with Rfx to regulate a gene expression program for mechanosensory cilia specialization. Dev Cell. 2012;22:1221-33 pubmed publisher..Fd3F cooperates with the pan-ciliary transcription factor, Rfx, to regulate its targets directly. This illuminates pathways involved in ciliary specialization and the molecular mechanism of transcription factors that regulate them. ..
- Scholz N, Gehring J, Guan C, Ljaschenko D, Fischer R, Lakshmanan V, et al. The adhesion GPCR latrophilin/CIRL shapes mechanosensation. Cell Rep. 2015;11:866-874 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that aGPCR may generally process and modulate the perception of mechanical signals, linking these important stimuli to the sensory canon of the GPCR superfamily. ..
- Chadha A, Cook B. Dissection of gain control mechanisms in Drosophila mechanotransduction. J Neurosci. 2012;32:13052-61 pubmed..The slow adjustment of gain, manifest as diminished sensitivity, is associated with the accumulation of Ca(2+). ..
- Willingham A, Keil T. A tissue specific cytochrome P450 required for the structure and function of Drosophila sensory organs. Mech Dev. 2004;121:1289-97 pubmed
- Montell C. Thermosensation: hot findings make TRPNs very cool. Curr Biol. 2003;13:R476-8 pubmed..Recent work on the mouse ANKTM1 and Drosophila Painless proteins shows that members of a third TRP subfamily, TRPN, also function in thermosensation.
- Zhang W, Yan Z, Li B, Jan L, Jan Y. Identification of motor neurons and a mechanosensitive sensory neuron in the defecation circuitry of Drosophila larvae. elife. 2014;3: pubmed publisher..This anus sensory neuron relies on the TRP channel NOMPC but not on INACTIVE, NANCHUNG, or PIEZO for mechanotransduction.
- Karak S, Jacobs J, Kittelmann M, Spalthoff C, Katana R, Sivan Loukianova E, et al. Diverse Roles of Axonemal Dyneins in Drosophila Auditory Neuron Function and Mechanical Amplification in Hearing. Sci Rep. 2015;5:17085 pubmed publisher..Mutant defects in sperm competition suggest that both dyneins also function in sperm motility. ..
- Venkatachalam K, Luo J, Montell C. Evolutionarily conserved, multitasking TRP channels: lessons from worms and flies. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2014;223:937-62 pubmed publisher..Thus, worms and flies offer the potential to decipher roles for mammalian TRPs, which would otherwise not be suspected. ..
- Jin P, Bulkley D, Guo Y, Zhang W, Guo Z, Huynh W, et al. Electron cryo-microscopy structure of the mechanotransduction channel NOMPC. Nature. 2017;547:118-122 pubmed publisher..The transient receptor potential (TRP) channel NOMPC is important for mechanosensation-related behaviours such as locomotion, touch and sound sensation across ..
- Zhang W, Cheng L, Kittelmann M, Li J, Petkovic M, Cheng T, et al. Ankyrin Repeats Convey Force to Gate the NOMPC Mechanotransduction Channel. Cell. 2015;162:1391-403 pubmed publisherHow metazoan mechanotransduction channels sense mechanical stimuli is not well understood. The NOMPC channel in the transient receptor potential (TRP) family, a mechanotransduction channel for Drosophila touch sensation and hearing, ..
- Duggan A, Garcia Anoveros J, Corey D. Insect mechanoreception: what a long, strange TRP it's been. Curr Biol. 2000;10:R384-7 pubmed..An ion channel of the TRP superfamily has recently been identified which is required for production of mechanoreceptor currents by insect bristles, and seems likely to represent a new kind of mechanically gated channel. ..
- Tobin D, Bargmann C. Invertebrate nociception: behaviors, neurons and molecules. J Neurobiol. 2004;61:161-74 pubmed..We begin with the neurobiology of invertebrate nociception, and then focus on molecules with conserved functions in vertebrate nociception and sensory biology. ..
- Tsubouchi A, Caldwell J, Tracey W. Dendritic filopodia, Ripped Pocket, NOMPC, and NMDARs contribute to the sense of touch in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2124-34 pubmed publisher..Through a genome-wide RNAi screen of ion channels, we identified Ripped Pocket (rpk), No Mechanoreceptor Potential C (nompC), and NMDA Receptors 1 and 2 (Nmdars) as playing critical roles in both behavioral responses to ..
- Roos J, DiGregorio P, Yeromin A, Ohlsen K, Lioudyno M, Zhang S, et al. STIM1, an essential and conserved component of store-operated Ca2+ channel function. J Cell Biol. 2005;169:435-45 pubmed..We propose that STIM1, a ubiquitously expressed protein that is conserved from Drosophila to mammalian cells, plays an essential role in SOC influx and may be a common component of SOC and CRAC channels. ..
- Horner V, Wolfner M. Mechanical stimulation by osmotic and hydrostatic pressure activates Drosophila oocytes in vitro in a calcium-dependent manner. Dev Biol. 2008;316:100-9 pubmed publisher..This will allow exploitation of Drosophila genetics to dissect molecular pathways involving Ca(2+) and the activation of development. ..
- Kwon Y, Shen W, Shim H, Montell C. Fine thermotactic discrimination between the optimal and slightly cooler temperatures via a TRPV channel in chordotonal neurons. J Neurosci. 2010;30:10465-71 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the decision to select the preferred over slightly cooler temperatures requires iav and is achieved by activating chordotonal neurons, which in turn induces repulsive behaviors, due to an increase in high angle turns. ..
- Mutai H, Heller S. Vertebrate and invertebrate TRPV-like mechanoreceptors. Cell Calcium. 2003;33:471-8 pubmed..Caenorhabditis elegans OSM-9 channel, an invertebrate TRPV channel, and the Drosophila melanogaster TRP channel NOMPC. We then evaluate basic features of TRPV4, a vertebrate member of the TRPV subfamily, which is gated by a variety ..
- Goodman M. Sensation is painless. Trends Neurosci. 2003;26:643-5 pubmed..Painless thus joins an elite group of TRPs implicated in sensory transduction in insects, nematodes, mammals and fish. ..
- Bagley J, Yan Z, Zhang W, Wildonger J, Jan L, Jan Y. Double-bromo and extraterminal (BET) domain proteins regulate dendrite morphology and mechanosensory function. Genes Dev. 2014;28:1940-56 pubmed publisher..the mechanosensory response of class III da sensory neurons without compromising the expression of the ion channel NompC, which mediates the mechanosensitive response...
- Chadha A, Kaneko M, Cook B. NOMPC-dependent mechanotransduction shapes the dendrite of proprioceptive neurons. Neurosci Lett. 2015;597:111-6 pubmed publisher..Here, we show that the stum-expressing neurons express the mechanosensory channel NOMPC. In nompC mutants responses to joint position were abolished, indicating that NOMPC is the mechanosensitive ..
- Effertz T, Nadrowski B, Piepenbrock D, Albert J, Gopfert M. Direct gating and mechanical integrity of Drosophila auditory transducers require TRPN1. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:1198-200 pubmed publisher..We found that the transient receptor potential (TRP) channel TRPN1 (NOMPC) is essential for this direct gating of Drosophila auditory transduction channels and that the channel-spring ..
- Chen C, Buhl E, Xu M, Croset V, Rees J, Lilley K, et al. Drosophila Ionotropic Receptor 25a mediates circadian clock resetting by temperature. Nature. 2015;527:516-20 pubmed publisher..This pathway operates in the absence of known 'hot' and 'cold' sensors in the Drosophila antenna, revealing the existence of novel periphery-to-brain temperature signalling channels. ..
- Park J, Lee N, Kavoussi A, Seo J, Kim C, Moon S. Ciliary Phosphoinositide Regulates Ciliary Protein Trafficking in Drosophila. Cell Rep. 2015;13:2808-16 pubmed publisher..lead to hearing deficits due to the mislocalization of dTULP and mechanotransduction channels, Inactive and NOMPC, in chordotonal cilia...
- George H, Terracol R. The vrille gene of Drosophila is a maternal enhancer of decapentaplegic and encodes a new member of the bZIP family of transcription factors. Genetics. 1997;146:1345-63 pubmed