Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: noc
Description: no ocelli
Alias: BG:DS04641.1, CG4491, Dmel\CG4491, Noc, br22, l(2)35Ba, l(2)35Ba/nocA, l(2)br22, l35Ba, nocA, noc[A], no ocelli, CG4491-PA, CG4491-PB, no-ocelli, noc-PA, noc-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Wernet M, Meier K, Baumann Klausener F, Dorfman R, Weihe U, Labhart T, et al. Genetic dissection of photoreceptor subtype specification by the Drosophila melanogaster zinc finger proteins elbow and no ocelli. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004210 pubmed publisherThe elbow/no ocelli (elb/noc) complex of Drosophila melanogaster encodes two paralogs of the evolutionarily conserved NET family of zinc finger proteins...
- Gutierrez L, Oktaba K, Scheuermann J, Gambetta M, Ly Hartig N, Muller J. The role of the histone H2A ubiquitinase Sce in Polycomb repression. Development. 2012;139:117-27 pubmed publisher..Sce synergizes with the Polycomb repressive deubiquitinase (PR-DUB) complex to repress transcription at class I genes, suggesting that H2A monoubiquitylation must be appropriately balanced for their transcriptional repression. ..
- Gubb D, Ashburner M, Roote J, Davis T. A novel transvection phenomenon affecting the white gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1990;126:167-76 pubmed..This effect of rearrangements has been used as the basis for a screen, gamma-ray induced aberrations with at least one breakpoint opposite the TE site were recovered by their suppression of the zeste phenotype. ..
- Fuse N, Matakatsu H, Taniguchi M, Hayashi S. Snail-type zinc finger proteins prevent neurogenesis in Scutoid and transgenic animals of Drosophila. Dev Genes Evol. 1999;209:573-80 pubmed..Thus, our results suggest that the Scutoid phenotype is due to an ectopic snail expression under the control of no-oceli enhancer, antagonizing neurogenesis through its inhibitory interaction with bHLH proteins. ..
- BIRKHOLZ D, Chou W, Phistry M, Britt S. Disruption of photoreceptor cell patterning in the Drosophila Scutoid mutant. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:253-62 pubmed..Our detailed analysis of this unusual dominant gain-of-function neomorphic phenotype suggests that the induction of Rh5 expression in Scutoid mutants is partially rhomboid independent. ..
- McNabb S, Greig S, Davis T. The alcohol dehydrogenase gene is nested in the outspread locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1996;143:897-911 pubmed..In the ovary, osp is transcribed in nurse cells and localized in the oocyte. In embryos, expression is most abundant in the developing visceral and somatic musculature. ..
- Zeng J, Kirk B, Gou Y, Wang Q, Ma J. Genome-wide polycomb target gene prediction in Drosophila melanogaster. Nucleic Acids Res. 2012;40:5848-63 pubmed publisher..From a computational standpoint, our strategy of modelling transcription factor interaction with a non-linear kernel is original, effective and transferable to many other applications. ..
- Chia W, McGill S, Karp R, Gubb D, Ashburner M. Spontaneous excision of a large composite transposable element of Drosophila melanogaster. Nature. 1985;316:81-3 pubmed..and phenotypic consequence of TE excision, we have cloned genomic DNA required for the expression of the no-ocelli (noc) gene of Drosophila; this gene has been mutated by the insertion of TE146, a member of the TE1 family carrying six ..
- Cheah P, Meng Y, Yang X, Kimbrell D, Ashburner M, Chia W. The Drosophila l(2)35Ba/nocA gene encodes a putative Zn finger protein involved in the development of the embryonic brain and the adult ocellar structures. Mol Cell Biol. 1994;14:1487-99 pubmedThe Drosophila l(2)35Ba/nocA gene is involved in the development of the adult ocelli and the embryonic head. Mutations in this gene lead to at least two distinct phenotypes...
- Specchia V, Piacentini L, Tritto P, Fanti L, D Alessandro R, Palumbo G, et al. Hsp90 prevents phenotypic variation by suppressing the mutagenic activity of transposons. Nature. 2010;463:662-5 pubmed publisher..This indicates that Hsp90 mutations can generate new variation by transposon-mediated 'canonical' mutagenesis. ..
- Lovering R, Harden N, Ashburner M. The molecular structure of TE146 and its derivatives in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1991;128:357-72 pubmed..We suggest that these FB-FB exchange events occur by mitotic sister-chromatid exchange in the premeiotic germ line. ..
- Ashburner M, Detwiler C, Tsubota S, Woodruff R. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. VI. Induced revertants of scutoid. Genetics. 1983;104:405-31 pubmed..One of these transpositions juxtaposes the noc and l(2)br28 loci...
- Terriente J, Perea D, Suzanne M, Diaz Benjumea F. The Drosophila gene zfh2 is required to establish proximal-distal domains in the wing disc. Dev Biol. 2008;320:102-12 pubmed publisher..The results we present here indicate that Zfh2 plays a critical role in both processes. ..
- Harden N, Ashburner M. Characterization of the FB-NOF transposable element of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1990;126:387-400 pubmed..quot; These strains also have an increased number of FB elements. The DNA sequence of the NOF region associated with TE146(Z) has been determined. ..
- Grau Y, Carteret C, Simpson P. Mutations and Chromosomal Rearrangements Affecting the Expression of Snail, a Gene Involved in Embryonic Patterning in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1984;108:347-60 pubmed..It is concluded that the products of all of these genes function together in the process of specification of pattern in the embryo. ..
- Hekmat Scafe D, Carlson J. Genetic and molecular studies of olfaction in Drosophila. Ciba Found Symp. 1996;200:285-96; discussion 296-301 pubmed..It may also be possible to study olfactory genes, such as those encoding PBPs, from other insects by mutating them, introducing them into Drosophila and analysing their function in vivo. ..
- Gubb D, McGill S, Ashburner M. A selective screen to recover chromosomal deletions and duplications in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1988;119:377-90 pubmed..Such aberration breakpoints can be genetically mapped, as synthetic deletions, and then used as transposon-tagged sites for the recovery of genomic clones. ..
- Ryder E, Ashburner M, Bautista Llacer R, Drummond J, Webster J, Johnson G, et al. The DrosDel deletion collection: a Drosophila genomewide chromosomal deficiency resource. Genetics. 2007;177:615-29 pubmed..Finally, we provide a computational resource that facilitates selection of other mapped FRT-bearing elements that, when combined with the DrosDel collection, can theoretically generate over half a million precisely mapped deletions. ..
- Hunding A, Kauffman S, Goodwin B. Drosophila segmentation: supercomputer simulation of prepattern hierarchy. J Theor Biol. 1990;145:369-84 pubmed..The study thus suggests that the crucial organizing principle in early Drosophila embryogenesis is based on global field mechanisms, not on particular local interactions. ..
- Ryder E, Blows F, Ashburner M, Bautista Llacer R, Coulson D, Drummond J, et al. The DrosDel collection: a set of P-element insertions for generating custom chromosomal aberrations in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2004;167:797-813 pubmed..In addition, a further 37,000 deletions, selectable by molecular screening, may be generated. We are now using the collection to generate a second-generation deficiency kit that is precisely mapped to the genome sequence. ..
- McGill S, Chia W, Karp R, Ashburner M. The molecular analyses of an antimorphic mutation of Drosophila melanogaster, Scutoid. Genetics. 1988;119:647-61 pubmedA dominant mutation of Drosophila melanogaster, Scutoid (Sco), acts as an antimorphic allele of the no-ocelli (noc) gene...
- Dubin A, Heald N, Cleveland B, Carlson J, Harris G. Scutoid mutation of Drosophila melanogaster specifically decreases olfactory responses to short-chain acetate esters and ketones. J Neurobiol. 1995;28:214-33 pubmed..These findings suggest the involvement of Sco in an olfactory pathway in adults which is specific for short-chain acetate esters and ketones. ..
- Kazemian M, Zhu Q, Halfon M, Sinha S. Improved accuracy of supervised CRM discovery with interpolated Markov models and cross-species comparison. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:9463-72 pubmed publisher..We make our program available as downloadable source code, and as a plugin for a genome browser installed on our servers. ..
- Chia W, Karp R, McGill S, Ashburner M. Molecular analysis of the Adh region of the genome of Drosophila melanogaster. J Mol Biol. 1985;186:689-706 pubmed..structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase (Adh) as well as at least two other genes, outspread (osp) and no-ocelli (noc), has been characterized by mapping chromosome aberrations to the DNA...
- Gubb D, Roote J, Trenear J, Coulson D, Ashburner M. Topological constraints on transvection between white genes within the transposing element TE35B in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;146:919-37 pubmed..Similarly, breakpoints immediately proximal or distal to both w genes give partial suppression. This transvection-dependent downregulation of w genes may result from mis-activation of the X-chromosome dosage compensation mechanism...
- Carlson J. Olfaction in Drosophila: from odor to behavior. Trends Genet. 1996;12:175-80 pubmed..Genetic and molecular analyses of the Drosophila olfactory system have identified some of its molecular components, and have revealed some principles of its function and organization. ..
- Ashburner M, Tsubota S, Woodruff R. The genetics of a small chromosome region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. IV: scutoid, an antimorphic mutation. Genetics. 1982;102:401-20 pubmed..The phenotype of Sco is sensitive to mutation, or deletion, of noc+ and of three genes, el, l(2)br22, and l(2)br29 mapping immediately distal to noc...
- Busser B, Lin Y, Yang Y, Zhu J, Chen G, Michelson A. An Orthologous Epigenetic Gene Expression Signature Derived from Differentiating Embryonic Stem Cells Identifies Regulators of Cardiogenesis. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0141066 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results show that orthologous gene expression signatures can be used to identify conserved cardiogenic pathways. ..
- Tomkiel J, Fanti L, Berloco M, Spinelli L, Tamkun J, Wakimoto B, et al. Developmental genetical analysis and molecular cloning of the abnormal oocyte gene of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1995;140:615-27 pubmed..Using germline transformation, we show that a 9-kb genomic fragment to which the transcript maps, partially fulfills requirement for maternal and zygotic abo+ function. ..
- Sarthy P. Histamine: a neurotransmitter candidate for Drosophila photoreceptors. J Neurochem. 1991;57:1757-68 pubmed..These observations strongly suggest that histamine is a major neurotransmitter used by Drosophila photoreceptors. ..
- O DONNELL J, Mandel H, Krauss M, Sofer W. Genetic and cytogenetic analysis of the Adh region in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1977;86:553-66 pubmed..If one includes three other loci known to belong there (el, Adh and Sco) a total of 16 complemetation groups have been identified in the region close to Adh. ..
- Smith D. Olfactory mechanisms in Drosophila melanogaster. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1996;6:500-5 pubmed..In addition, members of the family of invertebrate odorant-binding proteins have been identified in Drosophila and may play an important role in the olfactory process. ..
- Fossett N, Arbour Reily P, Kilroy G, McDaniel M, Mahmoud J, Tucker A, et al. Analysis of ENU-induced mutations at the Adh locus in Drosophila melanogaster. Mutat Res. 1990;231:73-85 pubmed..7 of the 9 intragenic mutations were GC to AT transitions which resulted in 5 single amino acid substitutions, 1 premature translation termination codon, and 1 splice site mutation.(ABSTRACT TRUNCATED AT 400 WORDS) ..
- Woodruff R, Ashburner M. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. II. Lethal mutations in the region. Genetics. 1979;92:133-49 pubmed
- Woodruff R, Ashburner M. The genetics of a small autosomal region of Drosophila melanogaster containing the structural gene for alcohol dehydrogenase. I. Characterization of deficiencies and mapping of ADH and visible mutations. Genetics. 1979;92:117-32 pubmed..These deficiencies probably include two polytene chromosome bands, 35B2 and 35B3. ..