Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nipped B
Alias: CG17704, CG40281, Dmel\CG17704, NIPPED-B, NipB, l(2)02047, nipped-B, Nipped-B, CG17704-PE, CG17704-PF, CG17704-PG, CG17704-PH, CG17704-PI, CG17704-PJ, NipB, Nipped-B-PE, Nipped-B-PF, Nipped-B-PG, Nipped-B-PH, Nipped-B-PI, Nipped-B-PJ, nipped, nipped B
Species: fruit fly
- Schaaf C, Kwak H, Koenig A, Misulovin Z, Gohara D, Watson A, et al. Genome-wide control of RNA polymerase II activity by cohesin. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003382 pubmed publisher..The multiple transcriptional roles of cohesin revealed by these studies likely underlie the growth and developmental deficits caused by minor changes in cohesin activity. ..
- Neuwald A, Hirano T. HEAT repeats associated with condensins, cohesins, and other complexes involved in chromosome-related functions. Genome Res. 2000;10:1445-52 pubmed..macrospora Spo76p proteins, the budding yeast Scc2p protein, and the related Drosophila transcriptional activator Nipped-B...
- Rollins R, Korom M, Aulner N, Martens A, Dorsett D. Drosophila nipped-B protein supports sister chromatid cohesion and opposes the stromalin/Scc3 cohesion factor to facilitate long-range activation of the cut gene. Mol Cell Biol. 2004;24:3100-11 pubmedThe Drosophila melanogaster Nipped-B protein facilitates transcriptional activation of the cut and Ultrabithorax genes by remote enhancers...
- Schaaf C, Misulovin Z, Gause M, Koenig A, Gohara D, Watson A, et al. Cohesin and polycomb proteins functionally interact to control transcription at silenced and active genes. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003560 pubmed publisher..These studies reveal a previously unrecognized role for PRC1 in facilitating productive gene transcription and provide new insights into how cohesin and PRC1 control development. ..
- Dorsett D, Eissenberg J, Misulovin Z, Martens A, Redding B, McKim K. Effects of sister chromatid cohesion proteins on cut gene expression during wing development in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:4743-53 pubmed..This idea arose from the finding that the Drosophila Nipped-B protein, a functional homolog of the yeast Scc2 factor that loads cohesin onto chromosomes, facilitates the ..
- Rollins R, Morcillo P, Dorsett D. Nipped-B, a Drosophila homologue of chromosomal adherins, participates in activation by remote enhancers in the cut and Ultrabithorax genes. Genetics. 1999;152:577-93 pubmed..in the Notch receptor pathway in the wing margin, including scalloped, vestigial, mastermind, Chip, and the Nipped locus...
- Gause M, Misulovin Z, Bilyeu A, Dorsett D. Dosage-sensitive regulation of cohesin chromosome binding and dynamics by Nipped-B, Pds5, and Wapl. Mol Cell Biol. 2010;30:4940-51 pubmed publisher..Partial loss of the Nipped-B protein that loads cohesin onto chromosomes, or the Pds5 protein required for sister chromatid cohesion, alters ..
- Schaaf C, Misulovin Z, Gause M, Koenig A, Dorsett D. The Drosophila enhancer of split gene complex: architecture and coordinate regulation by notch, cohesin, and polycomb group proteins. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1785-94 pubmed publisher..We posit that the E(spl)-C architecture dictates where cohesin and PcG complexes bind and act when they are recruited by as yet unidentified factors, thereby controlling the E(spl)-C as a coordinated domain. ..
- Krishnan B, Thomas S, Yan R, Yamada H, Zhulin I, McKee B. Sisters unbound is required for meiotic centromeric cohesion in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2014;198:947-65 pubmed publisher..In conclusion, our data show that SUNN is an essential meiosis-specific Drosophila cohesion protein. ..
- Wu Y, Gause M, Xu D, Misulovin Z, Schaaf C, Mosarla R, et al. Drosophila Nipped-B Mutants Model Cornelia de Lange Syndrome in Growth and Behavior. PLoS Genet. 2015;11:e1005655 pubmed publisher..Severely-affected individuals most often have dominant loss-of-function mutations in the Nipped-B-Like (NIPBL) gene, and milder cases often have missense or in-frame deletion mutations in genes encoding ..
- Dorsett D. Distant liaisons: long-range enhancer-promoter interactions in Drosophila. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 1999;9:505-14 pubmed
- Dimitri P, Corradini N, Rossi F, Vernì F, Cenci G, Belloni G, et al. Vital genes in the heterochromatin of chromosomes 2 and 3 of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 2003;117:209-15 pubmed..Repetitive loci, such as Responder and the ABO elements, which are also located in the heterochromatin of chromosome 2, are not discussed here because they have been reviewed in detail elsewhere. ..
- Cenci G, Belloni G, Dimitri P. 1(2)41Aa, a heterochromatic gene of Drosophila melanogaster, is required for mitotic and meiotic chromosome condensation. Genet Res. 2003;81:15-24 pubmed..Taken together, these findings indicate that 1(2)41Aa is a novel cell cycle gene required for proper chromosome condensation in both somatic and germ line cells. ..
- Choo K. Domain organization at the centromere and neocentromere. Dev Cell. 2001;1:165-77 pubmed..Studies in different organisms point to a model of conserved pattern of organization for these domains. ..
- Seitan V, Banks P, Laval S, Majid N, Dorsett D, Rana A, et al. Metazoan Scc4 homologs link sister chromatid cohesion to cell and axon migration guidance. PLoS Biol. 2006;4:e242 pubmed publisher..Some metazoan orthologs of Scc2 were initially identified as developmental gene regulators, such as Drosophila Nipped-B, a regulator of cut and Ultrabithorax, and delangin, a protein mutant in Cornelia de Lange syndrome...
- Haering C, Nasmyth K. Building and breaking bridges between sister chromatids. Bioessays. 2003;25:1178-91 pubmed..New research suggests that these ancient regulators of chromosome structure might function as topological devices that trap chromosomal DNA between 50 nm long coiled coils. ..
- Gerasimova T, Corces V. Chromatin insulators and boundaries: effects on transcription and nuclear organization. Annu Rev Genet. 2001;35:193-208 pubmed..Insulators might modulate transcription by organizing the chromatin fiber within the nucleus through the establishment of higher-order domains of chromatin structure. ..
- Oliveira R, Kotadia S, Tavares A, Mirkovic M, Bowlin K, Eichinger C, et al. Centromere-independent accumulation of cohesin at ectopic heterochromatin sites induces chromosome stretching during anaphase. PLoS Biol. 2014;12:e1001962 pubmed publisher..This preferential accumulation is caused by an enrichment of the cohesin-loading factor (Nipped-B/NIPBL/Scc2) at dense heterochromatic regions...
- Dorsett D. Cohesin, gene expression and development: lessons from Drosophila. Chromosome Res. 2009;17:185-200 pubmed publisher..This review highlights what has been learned about the gene control and developmental functions of cohesin and the Nipped-B (NIPBL/Scc2) cohesin loading factor in Drosophila...
- Gyuricza M, Manheimer K, Apte V, Krishnan B, Joyce E, McKee B, et al. Dynamic and Stable Cohesins Regulate Synaptonemal Complex Assembly and Chromosome Segregation. Curr Biol. 2016;26:1688-1698 pubmed publisher..Through single- and double-mutant analysis to study the mitotic cohesion proteins Stromalin (SA) and Nipped-B (SCC2) in meiosis, we provide evidence that there are at least two meiosis-specificÂ cohesin complexes...
- Weng K, Jeffreys C, Bickel S. Rejuvenation of meiotic cohesion in oocytes during prophase I is required for chiasma maintenance and accurate chromosome segregation. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004607 pubmed publisher..Reduction of individual cohesin subunits or the cohesin loader Nipped B during prophase I leads to similar defects...
- Zhang D, Wang D, Sun F. Drosophila melanogaster heterochromatin protein HP1b plays important roles in transcriptional activation and development. Chromosoma. 2011;120:97-108 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study argues that HP1b counteracts HP1a function both in heterochromatin formation and in the transcriptional regulation of euchromatic genes. ..
- Fasulo B, Deuring R, Murawska M, Gause M, Dorighi K, Schaaf C, et al. The Drosophila MI-2 chromatin-remodeling factor regulates higher-order chromatin structure and cohesin dynamics in vivo. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1002878 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate that dMi-2 is an important regulator of both chromosome condensation and cohesin binding in interphase cells. ..
- Zabidi M, Arnold C, Schernhuber K, Pagani M, Rath M, Frank O, et al. Enhancer-core-promoter specificity separates developmental and housekeeping gene regulation. Nature. 2015;518:556-9 pubmed publisher..Our results provide evidence for a sequence-encoded enhancer-core-promoter specificity that separates developmental and housekeeping gene regulatory programs for thousands of enhancers and their target genes across the entire genome. ..
- Kusch T. Brca2-Pds5 complexes mobilize persistent meiotic recombination sites to the nuclear envelope. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:717-27 pubmed publisher..The identification of Brca2-Pds5 complexes as key mediators of this process provides a first mechanistic explanation for the contribution of lamins and cohesins to meiotic recombination. ..
- Bell A, West A, Felsenfeld G. Insulators and boundaries: versatile regulatory elements in the eukaryotic genome. Science. 2001;291:447-50 pubmed
- Swain A, Misulovin Z, Pherson M, Gause M, Mihindukulasuriya K, Rickels R, et al. Drosophila TDP-43 RNA-Binding Protein Facilitates Association of Sister Chromatid Cohesion Proteins with Genes, Enhancers and Polycomb Response Elements. PLoS Genet. 2016;12:e1006331 pubmed publisher..Drosophila Nipped-B protein loads cohesin onto chromosomes, and together Nipped-B and cohesin occupy essentially all active ..