Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Nipped-A
Alias: 41Ah, CG10549, CG2905, CG33554, Dmel\CG33554, GroupV, Nip-A, NipA, Nipped A, Nipped[A], TRA1, TRRAP, Tra-1, Tra1, dTRRAP, dTra1, dmTRRAP, l(2)41Ah, l(2)C123, l(2)EMS34-12, tra1, Nipped-A, CG33554-PE, CG33554-PF, Nipped-A-PE, Nipped-A-PF, NippedA, lethal(2)41Ah, nipped
Species: fruit fly
- Rollins R, Morcillo P, Dorsett D. Nipped-B, a Drosophila homologue of chromosomal adherins, participates in activation by remote enhancers in the cut and Ultrabithorax genes. Genetics. 1999;152:577-93 pubmed..in the Notch receptor pathway in the wing margin, including scalloped, vestigial, mastermind, Chip, and the Nipped locus...
- Dimitri P. Constitutive heterochromatin and transposable elements in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetica. 1997;100:85-93 pubmed..The implications of these findings on the possible impact of heterochromatic TEs on the function and evolution of the host genome are also discussed. ..
- Dimitri P. Cytogenetic analysis of the second chromosome heterochromatin of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1991;127:553-64 pubmed..within the proximal heterochromatin of 2R, while the nine remaining loci in the left arm and two (l(2)41Ae and l(2)41Ah) in the right arm map to h35 and to h46, respectively, the most distal heterochromatic regions...
- Spiess E, Helling R, CAPENOS M. LINKAGE OF AUTOSOMAL LETHALS FROM A LABORATORY POPULATION OF DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1963;48:1377-88 pubmed
- Duffy J, Wells J, Gergen J. Dosage-sensitive maternal modifiers of the drosophila segmentation gene runt. Genetics. 1996;142:839-52 pubmed..Furthermore, the effects of one of these loci, M(1)1B, is indirect and mediated through effects on the transcriptional regulation of posterior gap genes. ..
- Roy S, Jiang N, Hart C. Lack of the Drosophila BEAF insulator proteins alters regulation of genes in the Antennapedia complex. Mol Genet Genomics. 2011;285:113-23 pubmed publisher..A control gene, Dref, was not affected. A full understanding of the regulation of ANT-C genes during development will have to take the role of BEAF into account. ..
- Adewoye A, Kyriacou C, Tauber E. Identification and functional analysis of early gene expression induced by circadian light-resetting in Drosophila. BMC Genomics. 2015;16:570 pubmed publisher..For example, while continuous light normally causes arrhythmicity in wild-type flies, the knockdown of Kr-h1, Nipped-A, Thor, nrv1, Nf1, CG11155 (ionotropic glutamate receptor), and Fmr1 resulted in flies that were rhythmic, ..
- Hilliker A. Genetic analysis of the centromeric heterochromatin of chromosome 2 of Drosophila melanogaster: deficiency mapping of EMS-induced lethal complementation groups. Genetics. 1976;83:765-82 pubmed..Thus functional genetic loci are found in heterochromatin, albeit at a very low density relative to euchromatin. ..
- Rodriguez Navarro S. Insights into SAGA function during gene expression. EMBO Rep. 2009;10:843-50 pubmed publisher..I focus particularly on the new components of human SAGA, which was recently discovered and confirms the conservation of the SAGA complex throughout evolution. ..
- Latouche M, Lasbleiz C, Martin E, Monnier V, Debeir T, Mouatt Prigent A, et al. A conditional pan-neuronal Drosophila model of spinocerebellar ataxia 7 with a reversible adult phenotype suitable for identifying modifier genes. J Neurosci. 2007;27:2483-92 pubmed..Sodium butyrate, a histone deacetylase inhibitor, improved the survival time of the neurons. This model is therefore a powerful tool for studying SCA7 and for the development of potential therapies for polyQ diseases. ..
- Gause M, Eissenberg J, MacRae A, Dorsett M, Misulovin Z, Dorsett D. Nipped-A, the Tra1/TRRAP subunit of the Drosophila SAGA and Tip60 complexes, has multiple roles in Notch signaling during wing development. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:2347-59 pubmed..Here we show, through genetic and molecular analysis, that the Drosophila Nipped-A protein is required for activity of Notch and its coactivator protein, mastermind, during wing development...
- Eberl D, Duyf B, Hilliker A. The role of heterochromatin in the expression of a heterochromatic gene, the rolled locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1993;134:277-92 pubmed
- Roy S, Tan Y, Hart C. A genetic screen supports a broad role for the Drosophila insulator proteins BEAF-32A and BEAF-32B in maintaining patterns of gene expression. Mol Genet Genomics. 2007;277:273-86 pubmed..Because it is unlikely that insulator function is limited to eye development, the present results support the hypothesis that insulators play a widespread role in maintaining global transcription programs. ..
- Li X, Chatterjee N, Spirohn K, Boutros M, Bohmann D. Cdk12 Is A Gene-Selective RNA Polymerase II Kinase That Regulates a Subset of the Transcriptome, Including Nrf2 Target Genes. Sci Rep. 2016;6:21455 pubmed publisher..We suggest that Cdk12 acts as a gene-selective Pol II kinase that engages a global shift in gene expression to switch cells from a metabolically active state to "stress-defence mode" when challenged by external stress. ..
- Palomera Sanchez Z, Bucio Mendez A, Valadez Graham V, Reynaud E, Zurita M. Drosophila p53 is required to increase the levels of the dKDM4B demethylase after UV-induced DNA damage to demethylate histone H3 lysine 9. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:31370-9 pubmed publisher..This mechanism appears to be essential for the proper function of the nucleotide excision repair system. ..
- Sanchez C, Teixeira F, Czech B, Preall J, Zamparini A, Seifert J, et al. Regulation of Ribosome Biogenesis and Protein Synthesis Controls Germline Stem Cell Differentiation. Cell Stem Cell. 2016;18:276-90 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these results detail the extensive genetic networks that control stem cell homeostasis and highlight the intricate regulation of protein synthesis during differentiation. ..
- Ganetzky B. On the components of segregation distortion in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1977;86:321-55 pubmed..The results of these studies allow a reinterpretation of results from earlier analyses of the SD system and serve to limit the possible mechanisms to account for segregation distortion. ..
- Tauc H, Tasdogan A, Meyer P, Pandur P. Nipped-A regulates intestinal stem cell proliferation in Drosophila. Development. 2017;144:612-623 pubmed publisher..RNA sequencing of young and old ISCs newly identified Nipped-A, a subunit of histone acetyltransferase complexes, as a regulator of ISC proliferation that is upregulated in ..
- Sinclair D, Syrzycka M, Macauley M, Rastgardani T, Komljenovic I, Vocadlo D, et al. Drosophila O-GlcNAc transferase (OGT) is encoded by the Polycomb group (PcG) gene, super sex combs (sxc). Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:13427-32 pubmed publisher..In addition, we observe rescue of sxc lethality by a human Ogt cDNA transgene; thus Drosophila may provide an ideal model to study important functional roles of OGT in mammals. ..
- Kurshakova M, Krasnov A, Kopytova D, Shidlovskii Y, Nikolenko J, Nabirochkina E, et al. SAGA and a novel Drosophila export complex anchor efficient transcription and mRNA export to NPC. EMBO J. 2007;26:4956-65 pubmed..Thus, E(y)2 and Xmas-2 together with SAGA/TFTC function in the anchoring of a subset of transcription sites to the NPCs to achieve efficient transcription and mRNA export. ..
- Raisner R, Madhani H. Patterning chromatin: form and function for H2A.Z variant nucleosomes. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2006;16:119-24 pubmed..This chromatin pattern is generated through the action of a DNA deposition signal and a specific pattern of histone tail acetylation. ..
- Yin Z, Zhou X, Bakal C, Li F, Sun Y, Perrimon N, et al. Using iterative cluster merging with improved gap statistics to perform online phenotype discovery in the context of high-throughput RNAi screens. BMC Bioinformatics. 2008;9:264 pubmed publisher..In our findings, the proposed method is suitable for online phenotype discovery in diverse high-throughput image-based genetic and chemical screens. ..
- Kusch T, Florens L, Macdonald W, Swanson S, Glaser R, Yates J, et al. Acetylation by Tip60 is required for selective histone variant exchange at DNA lesions. Science. 2004;306:2084-7 pubmed..Thus, these data reveal a previously unknown mechanism for selective histone exchange that uses the concerted action of two distinct chromatin-remodeling enzymes within the same multiprotein complex. ..
- Song Y, Mirey G, Betson M, Haber D, Settleman J. The Drosophila ATM ortholog, dATM, mediates the response to ionizing radiation and to spontaneous DNA damage during development. Curr Biol. 2004;14:1354-9 pubmed
- Cenci G, Belloni G, Dimitri P. 1(2)41Aa, a heterochromatic gene of Drosophila melanogaster, is required for mitotic and meiotic chromosome condensation. Genet Res. 2003;81:15-24 pubmed..Taken together, these findings indicate that 1(2)41Aa is a novel cell cycle gene required for proper chromosome condensation in both somatic and germ line cells. ..
- Kurshakova m, Kopytova D, Nabirochkina E, Nikolenko I, Shidlovskiĭ I, Georgieva S, et al. [Conservative E(y)2/Sus1 protein is the member of SAGA complex and new nuclear pore-associated complex in Drosophila]. Genetika. 2009;45:1332-40 pubmed..Thus, E(y)2 and Xmas-2 together with SAGA/TFTC functioned in the anchoring of a subset of transcription sites to the NPCs to achieve efficient transcription and mRNA export. ..
- Sackton T, Kulathinal R, Bergman C, Quinlan A, Dopman E, Carneiro M, et al. Population genomic inferences from sparse high-throughput sequencing of two populations of Drosophila melanogaster. Genome Biol Evol. 2009;1:449-65 pubmed publisher..Continued development of methods for statistical inference of shallow-depth genome-wide sequencing data will allow such sparse, partial data sets to become the norm in the emerging field of population genomics. ..
- Guelman S, Suganuma T, Florens L, Weake V, Swanson S, Washburn M, et al. The essential gene wda encodes a WD40 repeat subunit of Drosophila SAGA required for histone H3 acetylation. Mol Cell Biol. 2006;26:7178-89 pubmed..We previously identified Drosophila melanogaster orthologues of yeast SAGA components Ada2, Ada3, Spt3, and Tra1 and demonstrated that they associate with dGcn5 in a high-molecular-weight complex...
- Mohan R, Dialynas G, Weake V, Liu J, Martin Brown S, Florens L, et al. Loss of Drosophila Ataxin-7, a SAGA subunit, reduces H2B ubiquitination and leads to neural and retinal degeneration. Genes Dev. 2014;28:259-72 pubmed publisher..When we examined the consequences of reduced Ataxin-7 in vivo, we found that flies exhibited pronounced neural and retinal degeneration, impaired movement, and early lethality...
- Yedvobnick B, Helms W, Barrett B. Identification of chromosomal deficiencies that modify Drosophila mastermind mutant phenotypes. Genesis. 2001;30:250-8 pubmed..Genomic segments that enhanced and suppressed the dominant wing phenotype were identified. These regions may contain uncharacterized loci involved in Notch pathway function. ..