Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ninaB
Description: neither inactivation nor afterpotential B
Alias: CG9347, DRPE65, Dmel\CG9347, RPE65, anon-WO0148162.1, anon-WO0148163.1, beta-diox, neither inactivation nor afterpotential B, CG9347-PA, beta-carotene dioxygenase, ninaB-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Halme A, Cheng M, Hariharan I. Retinoids regulate a developmental checkpoint for tissue regeneration in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2010;20:458-63 pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that retinoid biosynthesis in Drosophila is important for the maintenance of a condition that is permissive for regenerative growth. ..
- Ranganathan R, Harris W, Zuker C. The molecular genetics of invertebrate phototransduction. Trends Neurosci. 1991;14:486-93 pubmed..The results of a combination of molecular, genetic, physiological and biochemical studies are beginning to produce a clearer model for the complex mechanisms involved in invertebrate visual transduction. ..
- Selinger Z, Doza Y, Minke B. Mechanisms and genetics of photoreceptors desensitization in Drosophila flies. Biochim Biophys Acta. 1993;1179:283-99 pubmed
- Krstic D, Boll W, Noll M. Influence of the White locus on the courtship behavior of Drosophila males. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e77904 pubmed publisher..Implications of these findings for the proper interpretation of behavioral studies with white mutant flies are discussed. ..
- Kim W, Jan L, Jan Y. Contribution of visual and circadian neural circuits to memory for prolonged mating induced by rivals. Nat Neurosci. 2012;15:876-83 pubmed publisher..Our study thus delineates parts of the molecular and cellular basis for LMD, a plastic social behavior elicited by visual cues. ..
- Peschel N, Veleri S, Stanewsky R. Veela defines a molecular link between Cryptochrome and Timeless in the light-input pathway to Drosophila's circadian clock. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2006;103:17313-8 pubmed
- Kacsoh B, Lynch Z, Mortimer N, Schlenke T. Fruit flies medicate offspring after seeing parasites. Science. 2013;339:947-50 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a behavioral immune response based on anticipatory medication of offspring and outline a nonassociative memory paradigm based on innate parasite recognition by the host. ..
- Voolstra O, Oberhauser V, Sumser E, Meyer N, Maguire M, Huber A, et al. NinaB is essential for Drosophila vision but induces retinal degeneration in opsin-deficient photoreceptors. J Biol Chem. 2010;285:2130-9 pubmed publisher..related enzymes, the carotenoid oxygenase beta-carotenoid-15,15'-monooxygenase and the retinoid isomerase RPE65 (retinal pigment epithelium protein of 65 kDa)...
- Oberhauser V, Voolstra O, Bangert A, von Lintig J, Vogt K. NinaB combines carotenoid oxygenase and retinoid isomerase activity in a single polypeptide. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2008;105:19000-5 pubmed publisher..Evidence from cell culture systems has implicated that the retinal pigment epithelium protein of 65 kDa (RPE65) is the long-sought all-trans to 11-cis retinoid isomerase...
- Wang T, Jiao Y, Montell C. Dissection of the pathway required for generation of vitamin A and for Drosophila phototransduction. J Cell Biol. 2007;177:305-16 pubmed..The protein is coexpressed and functionally coupled with the beta, beta-carotene-15, 15'-monooxygenase, NINAB, which converts beta-carotene to all-trans-retinal...
- Yang J, O Tousa J. Cellular sites of Drosophila NinaB and NinaD activity in vitamin A metabolism. Mol Cell Neurosci. 2007;35:49-56 pubmedThe Drosophila genes ninaB and ninaD, encoding a beta-carotene oxygenase and a type B scavenger receptor respectively, are essential for the biosynthesis of the 3-hydroxyretinal chromophore of rhodopsin...
- Zuker C. Phototransduction in Drosophila: a paradigm for the genetic dissection of sensory transduction cascades. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 1992;2:622-7 pubmed..The availability of Drosophila mutants with defects in visual physiology allows for an in vivo dissection of this complex sensory signal transduction process. ..
- Meyer N, Joel Almagor T, Frechter S, Minke B, Huber A. Subcellular translocation of the eGFP-tagged TRPL channel in Drosophila photoreceptors requires activation of the phototransduction cascade. J Cell Sci. 2006;119:2592-603 pubmed..The critical role of Ca2+ influx was directly demonstrated when the light-induced TRPL-eGFP translocation was blocked by removing extracellular Ca2+. ..
- Kacsoh B, Bozler J, Ramaswami M, Bosco G. Social communication of predator-induced changes in Drosophila behavior and germ line physiology. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..The ability to teach does not require ovarian apoptosis. This work provides new insight into genetic and physiological mechanisms that underlie an ecologically relevant form of learning and mechanisms for its social transmission. ..