Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: neur
Alias: 0328/12, 0971/15, 1293/09, 1315/05, BEST:LD21494, CG11988, Dmel\CG11988, Neur, l(3)j6B12, l(3)j9B8, l(3)j9B9, l(3)j9C8, l(3)neo37, neu, neuralized, CG11988-PA, CG11988-PB, CG11988-PC, CG11988-PD, CG11988-PE, neur-PA, neur-PB, neur-PC, neur-PD, neur-PE, neuralised
Species: fruit fly
- Bardin A, Schweisguth F. Bearded family members inhibit Neuralized-mediated endocytosis and signaling activity of Delta in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2006;10:245-55 pubmed..In Drosophila, the E3 ubiquitin ligase Neuralized (Neur) promotes the endocytosis and signaling activity of the ligand Delta (Dl)...
- Lai E. Drosophila tufted is a gain-of-function allele of the proneural gene amos. Genetics. 2003;163:1413-25 pubmed..This phenomenon seems instead to be related to their shared ability to activate Asense and Senseless. ..
- Lai E, Rubin G. Neuralized is essential for a subset of Notch pathway-dependent cell fate decisions during Drosophila eye development. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2001;98:5637-42 pubmedb>Neuralized (neur) is a neurogenic mutant of Drosophila in which many signaling events mediated by the Notch (N) receptor are disrupted. Here, we analyze the role of neur during eye development...
- Rajan A, Tien A, Haueter C, Schulze K, Bellen H. The Arp2/3 complex and WASp are required for apical trafficking of Delta into microvilli during cell fate specification of sensory organ precursors. Nat Cell Biol. 2009;11:815-24 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that WASp-dependent Arp2/3 actin polymerization is crucial for apical presentation of Delta, providing a mechanistic link between actin polymerization and Notch signalling...
- Schweisguth F. Regulation of notch signaling activity. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R129-38 pubmed..Recent analyses of the cell biology of the Notch receptor have identified several fundamental mechanisms that contribute to regulate Notch signaling activity in space and time. ..
- de Renzis S, Yu J, Zinzen R, Wieschaus E. Dorsal-ventral pattern of Delta trafficking is established by a Snail-Tom-Neuralized pathway. Dev Cell. 2006;10:257-64 pubmed..This trafficking pattern requires Neuralized. We developed a protocol based on chromosomal deletion and microarray analysis that led to the identification of ..
- Fontana J, Posakony J. Both inhibition and activation of Notch signaling rely on a conserved Neuralized-binding motif in Bearded proteins and the Notch ligand Delta. Dev Biol. 2009;333:373-85 pubmed publisher..Delta (Dl) ligand in the sensory organ precursor (SOP) cell is targeted for ubiquitination by the E3 ligase Neuralized (Neur), resulting in activation of Dl's capacity to signal to the Notch receptor on neighboring cells...
- Rhyu M, Jan L, Jan Y. Asymmetric distribution of numb protein during division of the sensory organ precursor cell confers distinct fates to daughter cells. Cell. 1994;76:477-91 pubmed..Thus, numb functions to determine the fates of the secondary precursors; the differential distribution of numb as the SOP divides generates an asymmetric division in which the daughter cells acquire distinct identities. ..
- Cadigan K, Nusse R. wingless signaling in the Drosophila eye and embryonic epidermis. Development. 1996;122:2801-12 pubmed..However, we present evidence that wingless signaling still occurs normally in the complete absence of Notch protein in the embryonic epidermis. Thus, in the simplest model for wingless signalling, a direct role for Notch is unlikely. ..
- Lai E, Orgogozo V. A hidden program in Drosophila peripheral neurogenesis revealed: fundamental principles underlying sensory organ diversity. Dev Biol. 2004;269:1-17 pubmed..We propose that most Drosophila sensory organs are built from an archetypal lineage, and we speculate about how this stereotyped pattern of cell divisions may have been built during evolution...
- Lai E, Deblandre G, Kintner C, Rubin G. Drosophila neuralized is a ubiquitin ligase that promotes the internalization and degradation of delta. Dev Cell. 2001;1:783-94 pubmedThe Drosophila gene neuralized (neur) has long been recognized to be essential for the proper execution of a wide variety of processes mediated by the Notch (N) pathway, but its role in the pathway has been elusive...
- Campuzano S, Modolell J. Patterning of the Drosophila nervous system: the achaete-scute gene complex. Trends Genet. 1992;8:202-8 pubmed..Neuroblasts or sensory organ mother cells are born within these clusters. Thus, the patterns of expression of the AS-C genes help to define the topology of the nervous system. ..
- Commisso C, Boulianne G. The NHR1 domain of Neuralized binds Delta and mediates Delta trafficking and Notch signaling. Mol Biol Cell. 2007;18:1-13 pubmed..b>Neuralized is a plasma membrane-associated ubiquitin ligase that is required for neural development and Delta ..
- Chanet S, Vodovar N, Mayau V, Schweisguth F. Genome engineering-based analysis of Bearded family genes reveals both functional redundancy and a nonessential function in lateral inhibition in Drosophila. Genetics. 2009;182:1101-8 pubmed publisher..The Drosophila genome encodes eight Brd family members that interact with the E3 ubiquitin ligase Neuralized (Neur) and act as inhibitors of Neur-mediated Delta signaling...
- Campos Ortega J, Knust E. Molecular analysis of a cellular decision during embryonic development of Drosophila melanogaster: epidermogenesis or neurogenesis. Eur J Biochem. 1990;190:1-10 pubmed
- Benhra N, Vignaux F, Dussert A, Schweisguth F, Le Borgne R. Neuralized promotes basal to apical transcytosis of delta in epithelial cells. Mol Biol Cell. 2010;21:2078-86 pubmed publisher..organ precursor cells in the dorsal thorax neuroepithelium of Drosophila and that Delta is endocytosed in a Neuralized-dependent manner from this basolateral membrane...
- Skeath J, Doe C. Sanpodo and Notch act in opposition to Numb to distinguish sibling neuron fates in the Drosophila CNS. Development. 1998;125:1857-65 pubmed..Taken together, these results show that interactions between sanpodo, the Notch signaling pathway and numb enable CNS sibling neurons to acquire different fates. ..
- Lieber T, Kidd S, Alcamo E, Corbin V, Young M. Antineurogenic phenotypes induced by truncated Notch proteins indicate a role in signal transduction and may point to a novel function for Notch in nuclei. Genes Dev. 1993;7:1949-65 pubmed..Delta, mastermind, bigbrain, and neuralized appear to function in elaboration of a signal upstream of Notch...
- Doherty D, Jan L, Jan Y. The Drosophila neurogenic gene big brain, which encodes a membrane-associated protein, acts cell autonomously and can act synergistically with Notch and Delta. Development. 1997;124:3881-93 pubmed..These results are consistent with bib acting as a channel protein in proneural cluster cells that adopt the epidermal cell fate, and serving a necessary function in the response of these cells to the lateral inhibition signal. ..
- Skwarek L, Garroni M, Commisso C, Boulianne G. Neuralized contains a phosphoinositide-binding motif required downstream of ubiquitination for delta endocytosis and notch signaling. Dev Cell. 2007;13:783-95 pubmed..and Serrate, is required in the signaling cell for signal initiation and requires one of two ubiquitin ligases, Neuralized or Mind bomb...
- Nakao K, Campos Ortega J. Persistent expression of genes of the enhancer of split complex suppresses neural development in Drosophila. Neuron. 1996;16:275-86 pubmed..These findings indicate that proneural and E(spl) proteins exert antagonistic functions. ..
- Li Y, Baker N. Proneural enhancement by Notch overcomes Suppressor-of-Hairless repressor function in the developing Drosophila eye. Curr Biol. 2001;11:330-8 pubmed..Later, lateral inhibition restores the repression of neural development by a different mechanism, requiring E(spl)-C transcription. Thus, Notch restricts neurogenesis temporally to a narrow time interval between two modes of repression. ..
- Rulifson E, Blair S. Notch regulates wingless expression and is not required for reception of the paracrine wingless signal during wing margin neurogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 1995;121:2813-24 pubmed..Furthermore, overexpression of wingless with a heat shock-wingless construct rescued the loss of sensory precursors associated with the early loss of Notch. ..
- Kooh P, Fehon R, Muskavitch M. Implications of dynamic patterns of Delta and Notch expression for cellular interactions during Drosophila development. Development. 1993;117:493-507 pubmed
- Boulianne G, de la Concha A, Campos Ortega J, Jan L, Jan Y. The Drosophila neurogenic gene neuralized encodes a novel protein and is expressed in precursors of larval and adult neurons. EMBO J. 1991;10:2975-83 pubmedb>Neuralized belongs to a group of genes involved in neurogenesis in Drosophila. Loss of function mutations lead to an overproduction of neurons at the expense of epidermal tissues...
- Le Borgne R, Schweisguth F. Unequal segregation of Neuralized biases Notch activation during asymmetric cell division. Dev Cell. 2003;5:139-48 pubmed..We report that the E3 ubiquitin ligase Neuralized localizes asymmetrically in the dividing pI cell and unequally segregates into the pIIb cell, like the Notch ..
- Koelzer S, Klein T. A Notch-independent function of Suppressor of Hairless during the development of the bristle sensory organ precursor cell of Drosophila. Development. 2003;130:1973-88 pubmed..Our results further suggest that the position of the SOP in a proneural cluster is determined by very precise positional cues, which render the SOP insensitive to Dl. ..
- Emery G, Hutterer A, Berdnik D, Mayer B, Wirtz Peitz F, Gaitan M, et al. Asymmetric Rab 11 endosomes regulate delta recycling and specify cell fate in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell. 2005;122:763-73 pubmed..During SOP division, the determinants Numb and Neuralized segregate into the pIIb daughter cell and establish a distinct cell fate by regulating Notch/Delta signaling...
- Yeh E, Zhou L, Rudzik N, Boulianne G. Neuralized functions cell autonomously to regulate Drosophila sense organ development. EMBO J. 2000;19:4827-37 pubmed..To define the requirement of the neurogenic gene neuralized (neu) in this process, two independent neu alleles were used to generate mutant clones...
- Lai E, Rubin G. neuralized functions cell-autonomously to regulate a subset of notch-dependent processes during adult Drosophila development. Dev Biol. 2001;231:217-33 pubmedb>neuralized (neu) represents one of the strong neurogenic mutants in Drosophila. Mutants of this class display, among other phenotypes, a strong overcommitment to neural fates at the expense of epidermal fates...
- Miller A, Lyons E, Herman T. cis-Inhibition of Notch by endogenous Delta biases the outcome of lateral inhibition. Curr Biol. 2009;19:1378-83 pubmed publisher..We conclude that cis-inhibition generally influences the direction of Dl/N signaling and should therefore be included in standard models of lateral inhibition. ..
- Delwig A, Bland C, Beem Miller M, Kimberly P, Rand M. Endocytosis-independent mechanisms of Delta ligand proteolysis. Exp Cell Res. 2006;312:1345-60 pubmed..Altogether, these data support a model whereby proteolysis can modulate Delta ligand activity independently of endocytosis. ..
- Overstreet E, Fitch E, Fischer J. Fat facets and Liquid facets promote Delta endocytosis and Delta signaling in the signaling cells. Development. 2004;131:5355-66 pubmed..In addition, we show that the ubiquitin-ligase Neuralized (Neur), which ubiquitinates Delta, functions in the signaling cells with Faf and Lqf...
- Huang F, Dambly Chaudiere C, Ghysen A. The emergence of sense organs in the wing disc of Drosophila. Development. 1991;111:1087-95 pubmed..The first division shows a preferential orientation which is also specific for each sensory mother cell. Up to this stage, there is no marked difference between the three types of mechanosensory organs. ..
- Brand M, Jarman A, Jan L, Jan Y. asense is a Drosophila neural precursor gene and is capable of initiating sense organ formation. Development. 1993;119:1-17 pubmed..Our studies therefore serve as a cautionary note for the inference of normal gene function based on the gain-of-function phenotype after ectopic expression. ..
- Le Borgne R, Remaud S, Hamel S, Schweisguth F. Two distinct E3 ubiquitin ligases have complementary functions in the regulation of delta and serrate signaling in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2005;3:e96 pubmed..Two distinct E3 ubiquitin ligases, Neuralized (Neur) and Mind bomb (Mib), have been shown to regulate Dl signaling in Drosophila melanogaster and Danio rerio, ..
- Greenwald I. LIN-12/Notch signaling: lessons from worms and flies. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1751-62 pubmed
- Moore A, Roegiers F, Jan L, Jan Y. Conversion of neurons and glia to external-cell fates in the external sensory organs of Drosophila hamlet mutants by a cousin-cousin cell-type respecification. Genes Dev. 2004;18:623-8 pubmed..The fate-determining signals NOTCH and PAX2 act at multiple stages of lineage elaboration and HAMLET acts to modulate their activity in a branch-specific manner. ..
- Held L. Bristle patterning in Drosophila. Bioessays. 1991;13:633-40 pubmed..Some of the genes that control these events participate in more than one stage, and others play key roles in seemingly unrelated developmental pathways, including embryonic neurogenesis, body segmentation, and sex determination. ..
- Pollarolo G, Schulz J, Munck S, Dotti C. Cytokinesis remnants define first neuronal asymmetry in vivo. Nat Neurosci. 2011;14:1525-33 pubmed publisher..This is, to our knowledge, the first molecular study of initial neuronal polarization in vivo. The mechanisms of polarization seem to be defined at the precursor stage. ..
- Mackay T. The genetic basis of quantitative variation: numbers of sensory bristles of Drosophila melanogaster as a model system. Trends Genet. 1995;11:464-70 pubmed..The consensus emerging from the application of all approaches is that much of the mutational and segregating variation affecting bristle number is attributable to alleles with large phenotype effects at a small number of candidate loci. ..
- Hu X, Lee E, Baker N. Molecular analysis of scabrous mutant alleles from Drosophila melanogaster indicates a secreted protein with two functional domains. Genetics. 1995;141:607-17 pubmed..Models for the role of a two-domain protein in neural development are discussed. ..
- Yamasaki Y, Lim Y, Niwa N, Hayashi S, Tsuda L. Robust specification of sensory neurons by dual functions of charlatan, a Drosophila NRSF/REST-like repressor of extramacrochaetae and hairy. Genes Cells. 2011;16:896-909 pubmed publisher..Because chn-like sequences are found among arthropods, regulation of neuronal development by Chn-like molecules may be widely conserved. ..
- Goto J, Mikawa Y, Koganezawa M, Ito H, Yamamoto D. Sexually dimorphic shaping of interneuron dendrites involves the hunchback transcription factor. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5454-9 pubmed publisher..The present results suggest that Hb is essential for male-typical shaping of the contralateral neurites by Fru. ..
- Kanwar R, Fortini M. Notch signaling: a different sort makes the cut. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R1043-5 pubmed
- Muskavitch M. Delta-notch signaling and Drosophila cell fate choice. Dev Biol. 1994;166:415-30 pubmed
- Garcia Alonso L, VanBerkum M, Grenningloh G, Schuster C, Goodman C. Fasciclin II controls proneural gene expression in Drosophila. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1995;92:10501-5 pubmed..Mutations in the Abelson tyrosine kinase gene show dominant interactions with fasII mutations, suggesting that Abl and Fas II function in a signaling pathway that controls proneural gene expression. ..
- Dietrich U, Campos Ortega J. The expression of neurogenic loci in imaginal epidermal cells of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 1984;1:315-32 pubmedSix zygotically expressed genomic loci of Drosophila melanogaster, N, bib, mam, neu, Dl and E (spl), have previously been found to be involved in the commitment of ectodermal cells as neuroblasts...
- Rusconi J, Corbin V. Evidence for a novel Notch pathway required for muscle precursor selection in Drosophila. Mech Dev. 1998;79:39-50 pubmed
- Ward E, Shcherbata H, Reynolds S, Fischer K, Hatfield S, Ruohola Baker H. Stem cells signal to the niche through the Notch pathway in the Drosophila ovary. Curr Biol. 2006;16:2352-8 pubmed..Demonstration that stem cells can contribute to niche function has far-reaching consequences for stem cell therapies and may provide insight into how cancer can spread throughout an organism via populations of cancer stem cells. ..
- Quan X, Denayer T, Yan J, Jafar Nejad H, Philippi A, Lichtarge O, et al. Evolution of neural precursor selection: functional divergence of proneural proteins. Development. 2004;131:1679-89 pubmed..These data suggest an evolutionary divergence in the mechanisms of NPC selection between protostomes and deuterostomes. ..
- Brewster R, Hardiman K, Deo M, Khan S, Bodmer R. The selector gene cut represses a neural cell fate that is specified independently of the Achaete-Scute-Complex and atonal. Mech Dev. 2001;105:57-68 pubmed..Thus, cut is not only required to promote an ASC-dependent mode of differentiation, but also represses an ASC- and ato-independent fate that leads to dbd and dda1 differentiation. ..
- Fichelson P, Gho M. Mother-daughter precursor cell fate transformation after Cdc2 down-regulation in the Drosophila bristle lineage. Dev Biol. 2004;276:367-77 pubmed..Cell diversity is achieved by the asymmetric segregation of cell determinants, such as Numb and Neuralized (Neur), resulting in differential activation of the Notch (N) pathway...
- Miller S, Rebeiz M, Atanasov J, Posakony J. Neural precursor-specific expression of multiple Drosophila genes is driven by dual enhancer modules with overlapping function. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2014;111:17194-9 pubmed publisher..Finally, using genomic rescue constructs for neuralized (neur), we demonstrate that each of the gene's two NP-specific enhancers is sufficient to rescue neur function ..
- Coyle Thompson C, Banerjee U. The strawberry notch gene functions with Notch in common developmental pathways. Development. 1993;119:377-95 pubmed..The genetic evidence presented here suggests that strawberry notch participates with members of the Notch pathway in facilitating developmentally relevant cell-cell communications. ..
- Cohen M, Baum B, Miodownik M. The importance of structured noise in the generation of self-organizing tissue patterns through contact-mediated cell-cell signalling. J R Soc Interface. 2011;8:787-98 pubmed publisher..Thus, intermittent protrusion-based signalling has the potential to yield robust self-organizing tissue-wide patterns without the need to invoke diffusion-mediated signalling. ..
- Leviten M, Posakony J. Gain-of-function alleles of Bearded interfere with alternative cell fate decisions in Drosophila adult sensory organ development. Dev Biol. 1996;176:264-83 pubmed..Finally, we have found that Brd null mutants are viable and exhibit no mutant phenotypes, suggesting that Brd may be a component of an overlapping function. ..
- Cho B, Fischer J. Ral GTPase promotes asymmetric Notch activation in the Drosophila eye in response to Frizzled/PCP signaling by repressing ligand-independent receptor activation. Development. 2011;138:1349-59 pubmed publisher..Thus, prevention of ligand-independent Notch activation is not simply a constitutive process, but is a target for regulation by Ral during cell fate specification and pattern formation. ..
- Boulianne G, de la Concha A, Campos Ortega J, Jan L, Jan Y. The Drosophila neurogenic gene neuralized encodes a novel protein and is expressed in precursors of larval and adult neurons. EMBO J. 1993;12:2586 pubmed
- Takemura M, Adachi Yamada T. Cell death and selective adhesion reorganize the dorsoventral boundary for zigzag patterning of Drosophila wing margin hairs. Dev Biol. 2011;357:336-46 pubmed publisher..This may be a common mechanism for geometrically ordered repetitive packing of several types of cells in similarly patterned developmental fields such as the mammalian organ of Corti. ..
- Heitzler P, Simpson P. Altered epidermal growth factor-like sequences provide evidence for a role of Notch as a receptor in cell fate decisions. Development. 1993;117:1113-23 pubmed..Binding between a cell's own Notch and Delta molecules would alter the availability of these proteins to interact with their counterparts on adjacent cells. ..
- Siudeja K, Nassari S, Gervais L, Skorski P, Lameiras S, Stolfa D, et al. Frequent Somatic Mutation in Adult Intestinal Stem Cells Drives Neoplasia and Genetic Mosaicism during Aging. Cell Stem Cell. 2015;17:663-74 pubmed publisher..Together, our findings reveal frequent genomic modification in adult stem cells and show that somatic genetic mosaicism has important functional consequences on aging tissues. ..
- Xu T, Artavanis Tsakonas S. deltex, a locus interacting with the neurogenic genes, Notch, Delta and mastermind in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1990;126:665-77 pubmed
- Lord P, Lin M, Hales K, Storti R. Normal expression and the effects of ectopic expression of the Drosophila muscle segment homeobox (msh) gene suggest a role in differentiation and patterning of embryonic muscles. Dev Biol. 1995;171:627-40 pubmed
- Assa Kunik E, Torres I, Schejter E, Johnston D, Shilo B. Drosophila follicle cells are patterned by multiple levels of Notch signaling and antagonism between the Notch and JAK/STAT pathways. Development. 2007;134:1161-9 pubmed
- Lewis J, Crews S. Genetic analysis of the Drosophila single-minded gene reveals a central nervous system influence on muscle development. Mech Dev. 1994;48:81-91 pubmed..The muscle defect observed in single-minded null mutations is not due to the absence of single-minded expression in muscle precursor cells and likely results from an influence of the central nervous system on ventral muscle development. ..
- Sugaya R, Ishimaru S, Hosoya T, Saigo K, Emori Y. A Drosophila homolog of human proto-oncogene ret transiently expressed in embryonic neuronal precursor cells including neuroblasts and CNS cells. Mech Dev. 1994;45:139-45 pubmed..In addition, Dret expression was affected in neurogenic mutants. These results suggest that Dret can be considered as a functional homolog of mammalian ret and should play important roles in neurogenesis. ..
- Phillips R, Whittle J. wingless expression mediates determination of peripheral nervous system elements in late stages of Drosophila wing disc development. Development. 1993;118:427-38 pubmed..The involvement of wingless in transducing or mediating positional signals for spatial patterning in imaginal disc development is discussed. ..