Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: nAChRalpha5
Description: nicotinic Acetylcholine Receptor alpha5
Alias: BG:DS05899.4, BG:DS05899.5, CG16878, CG32975, CG4498, CT14633, Dalpha5, Dmel\CG32975, Nic 34E, anon-WO02059370.44, da5, daf, lincRNA.128, lincRNA.S1055, nAChR, nAChRalpha-34E, nAcRalpha-34E, nAcRalpha-34e, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha5, CG32975-PB, CG32975-PD, CG32975-PH, Dalpha5, nAChRalpha5-PB, nAChRalpha5-PD, nAChRalpha5-PH, nicotinic acetylcholine Receptor_34E, nicotinic acetylcholine receptor alpha 34E
Species: fruit fly
- Jepson J, Savva Y, Yokose C, Sugden A, Sahin A, Reenan R. Engineered alterations in RNA editing modulate complex behavior in Drosophila: regulatory diversity of adenosine deaminase acting on RNA (ADAR) targets. J Biol Chem. 2011;286:8325-37 pubmed publisher..Our data demonstrate that network-wide temporal and spatial regulation of ADAR activity can tune the complex system of RNA-editing sites and modulate multiple ethologically relevant behavioral modalities. ..
- Glazov E, Pheasant M, McGraw E, Bejerano G, Mattick J. Ultraconserved elements in insect genomes: a highly conserved intronic sequence implicated in the control of homothorax mRNA splicing. Genome Res. 2005;15:800-8 pubmed
- Dupuis J, Louis T, Gauthier M, Raymond V. Insights from honeybee (Apis mellifera) and fly (Drosophila melanogaster) nicotinic acetylcholine receptors: from genes to behavioral functions. Neurosci Biobehav Rev. 2012;36:1553-64 pubmed publisher..The unbalance is striking between the abundant literature on nAChR sensitivity to insecticides and the rarity of information regarding their molecular properties and cognitive ..
- Rodriguez J, Menet J, Rosbash M. Nascent-seq indicates widespread cotranscriptional RNA editing in Drosophila. Mol Cell. 2012;47:27-37 pubmed publisher..We conclude that ADAR-mediated editing is more widespread than previously indicated and largely occurs cotranscriptionally. ..
- Wu M, Robinson J, Joiner W. SLEEPLESS is a bifunctional regulator of excitability and cholinergic synaptic transmission. Curr Biol. 2014;24:621-9 pubmed publisher..Mimicking this antagonism with the nAChR inhibitor mecamylamine or by RNAi knockdown of specific nAChR subunits is sufficient to restore sleep to qvr/sss ..
- Agrawal R, Stormo G. Editing efficiency of a Drosophila gene correlates with a distant splice site selection. RNA. 2005;11:563-6 pubmed..In contrast, when editing occurs downstream of alternative splicing, no correlation is seen. These results suggest some models for the coupling of editing and splicing processes. ..
- Schafer W. Genetic analysis of nicotinic signaling in worms and flies. J Neurobiol. 2002;53:535-41 pubmed
- Keegan L, McGurk L, Palavicini J, Brindle J, Paro S, Li X, et al. Functional conservation in human and Drosophila of Metazoan ADAR2 involved in RNA editing: loss of ADAR1 in insects. Nucleic Acids Res. 2011;39:7249-62 pubmed publisher..The ADAR1 gene has been lost several times, including during the evolution of insects and crustacea. These data complement our rescue results, supporting the idea that ADAR1 and ADAR2 have evolved highly conserved, distinct functions. ..
- Lansdell S, Collins T, Goodchild J, Millar N. The Drosophila nicotinic acetylcholine receptor subunits D?5 and D?7 form functional homomeric and heteromeric ion channels. BMC Neurosci. 2012;13:73 pubmed publisher..Ten nAChR subunits have been identified in the model insect Drosophila melanogaster (D?1-D?7 and D?1-D?3) and a similar ..
- Shinomiya K, Karuppudurai T, Lin T, Lu Z, Lee C, Meinertzhagen I. Candidate neural substrates for off-edge motion detection in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1062-70 pubmed publisher..We hypothesize that T5 computes small-field motion signals by integrating multiple cholinergic Tm inputs using nicotinic and muscarinic cholinoceptors. ..
- Nakayama M, Matsushita F, Hama C. The matrix protein Hikaru genki localizes to cholinergic synaptic clefts and regulates postsynaptic organization in the Drosophila brain. J Neurosci. 2014;34:13872-7 pubmed publisher..These results indicate that Hig is a specific component of the synaptic cleft matrix of cholinergic synapses and regulates their postsynaptic organization in the CNS. ..
- Tomizawa M, Zhang N, Durkin K, Olmstead M, Casida J. The neonicotinoid electronegative pharmacophore plays the crucial role in the high affinity and selectivity for the Drosophila nicotinic receptor: an anomaly for the nicotinoid cation--pi interaction model. Biochemistry. 2003;42:7819-27 pubmed..channels, does not apply to the anomalous action of neonicotinoids at the insect nicotinic acetylcholine receptor (nAChR)...
- Perry T, Somers J, Yang Y, Batterham P. Expression of insect Î±6-like nicotinic acetylcholine receptors inÂ Drosophila melanogaster highlights a high level of conservation ofÂ the receptor:spinosyn interaction. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 2015;64:106-15 pubmed publisher..In the absence of a robust heterologous expression system, this study presents an inÂ vivo model that will be useful in analysing many other aspects of these receptors and their biology. ..
- Nakayama M, Suzuki E, Tsunoda S, Hama C. The Matrix Proteins Hasp and Hig Exhibit Segregated Distribution within Synaptic Clefts and Play Distinct Roles in Synaptogenesis. J Neurosci. 2016;36:590-606 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, Hasp regulates levels of DLG and the nAChR subunits DÎ±6 and DÎ±7 at postsynaptic terminals...