Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: na
Description: narrow abdomen
Alias: CG1517, Dma1U, Dmalpha1U, Dmel\CG1517, NALCN, alpha1U, har, har 38, har 85, har38, har85, harA, narrow abdomen, CG1517-PF, CG1517-PG, NARROW ABDOMEN, halothane-resistant, na-PF, na-PG
Species: fruit fly
- Livingstone M. Genetic dissection of Drosophila adenylate cyclase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1985;82:5992-6 pubmed..The results suggest that the component of cyclase activity that is stimulated by calcium/calmodulin, possibly a genetically distinct catalytic subunit, is not coupled to the G subunit or the G subunit/monoamine receptor complex. ..
- Lloyd V, Sinclair D, Grigliatti T. Genomic imprinting and position-effect variegation in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1999;151:1503-16 pubmed..This suggests that chromatin structure is important in maintenance of the imprint, but a separate mechanism may be responsible for its initiation. ..
- Madhavan M, Kumar R, Krishnan K. Genetics of anesthetic response: autosomal mutations that render Drosophila resistant to halothane. Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 2000;67:749-57 pubmed..Two of these mutations, Omar(82) and Qajjem(211) are shown to map to separate loci on the third chromosome. ..
- Lear B, Darrah E, Aldrich B, Gebre S, Scott R, Nash H, et al. UNC79 and UNC80, putative auxiliary subunits of the NARROW ABDOMEN ion channel, are indispensable for robust circadian locomotor rhythms in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78147 pubmed publisher..The ion channel NARROW ABDOMEN (NA), orthologous to the mammalian sodium leak channel NALCN, functions downstream of the molecular circadian ..
- Joiner W, Friedman E, Hung H, Koh K, Sowcik M, Sehgal A, et al. Genetic and anatomical basis of the barrier separating wakefulness and anesthetic-induced unresponsiveness. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003605 pubmed publisher..processes that contribute to sleep homeostasis and requires four genes involved in electrical excitability: Sh, sss, na and unc79...
- van Swinderen B. A succession of anesthetic endpoints in the Drosophila brain. J Neurobiol. 2006;66:1195-211 pubmed..LFP correlates of general anesthesia in Drosophila provide a powerful new approach to uncovering the nature of these processes. ..
- Tsubouchi A, Caldwell J, Tracey W. Dendritic filopodia, Ripped Pocket, NOMPC, and NMDARs contribute to the sense of touch in Drosophila larvae. Curr Biol. 2012;22:2124-34 pubmed publisher..These cells show physiological responses to force. Ion channels in several force-sensing gene families are required for behavioral sensitivity to touch and for the formation of the actin-rich sensory filopodia. ..
- Campbell J, Nash H. Volatile general anesthetics reveal a neurobiological role for the white and brown genes of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurobiol. 2001;49:339-49 pubmed..We consider several ways by which diminished transport of guanine could influence neural function and anesthetic sensitivity...
- Mir B, Iyer S, Ramaswami M, Krishnan K. A genetic and mosaic analysis of a locus involved in the anesthesia response of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1997;147:701-12 pubmed..The mutants narrow abdomen (na) and har85 are confirmed to be allelic to har 38...
- Muralidhar M, Thomas J. The Drosophila bendless gene encodes a neural protein related to ubiquitin-conjugating enzymes. Neuron. 1993;11:253-66 pubmed..These results suggest a role for ubiquitin-mediated protein modification in nervous system development, including, but not exclusive to, the regulation of synaptic connectivity. ..
- Oh C, McMahon R, Benzer S, Tanouye M. bendless, a Drosophila gene affecting neuronal connectivity, encodes a ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme homolog. J Neurosci. 1994;14:3166-79 pubmed..The major role of ubiquitination in the protein degradative pathway suggests that ben regulates neural developmental processes such as growth cone guidance by targeting specific proteins for degradation. ..
- Campbell D, Nash H. Use of Drosophila mutants to distinguish among volatile general anesthetics. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:2135-9 pubmed..By examining the effect of halothane-resistant (har) mutations on the potency of various volatile anesthetics in this assay, we establish similarities and differences ..
- Schaper C, Hocker J, Bohm R, Roeder T, Bein B. The shaker potassium channel is no target for xenon anesthesia in short-sleeping Drosophila melanogaster mutants. ScientificWorldJournal. 2012;2012:373709 pubmed publisher..targets are involved, we tested the xenon requirement in short sleeping Drosophila shaker mutants and in na[har(38)]...
- Guan Z, Scott R, Nash H. A new assay for the genetic study of general anesthesia in Drosophila melanogaster: use in analysis of mutations in the X-chromosomal 12E region. J Neurogenet. 2000;14:25-42 pubmed..The results establish complementation patterns between the mutations, refine their genetic map positions, and open the way for the molecular identification of the relevant gene(s). ..
- King E, Kislukhin G, Walters K, Long A. Using Drosophila melanogaster to identify chemotherapy toxicity genes. Genetics. 2014;198:31-43 pubmed publisher..carboplatin QTL, is associated with a posteriori human orthologs from solute carrier family 7A, INPP4A&B, and NALCN. The fourth, a gemcitabine QTL that also affects methotrexate toxicity, is associated with human ortholog GPx4...
- Burg E, Langan S, Nash H. Drosophila social clustering is disrupted by anesthetics and in narrow abdomen ion channel mutants. Genes Brain Behav. 2013;12:338-47 pubmed publisher..b>Narrow abdomen (na) mutants, which display altered responses to anesthetics in numerous behavioral assays, also have a ..
- Lloyd V. Parental imprinting in Drosophila. Genetica. 2000;109:35-44 pubmed..Thus, the study of imprinting in Drosophila has the potential to illuminate the mechanism and biological function of imprinting, and challenge models based solely on imprinting of mammalian genes. ..
- Gamo S, Nakashima Tanaka E, Ogaki M. Alteration in molecular species of phosphatidylethanolamine between anesthetic resistant and sensitive strains of Drosophila melanogaster. Life Sci. 1982;30:401-8 pubmed..Therefore, the changes in PE may explain the mechanism of anesthetic resistance because genetic analyses indicate that these chromosomes have more influence on the anesthetic resistant traits of the resistant strain. ..
- Malko D, Makeev V, Mironov A, Gelfand M. Evolution of exon-intron structure and alternative splicing in fruit flies and malarial mosquito genomes. Genome Res. 2006;16:505-9 pubmed
- Flourakis M, Kula Eversole E, Hutchison A, Han T, Aranda K, Moose D, et al. A Conserved Bicycle Model for Circadian Clock Control of Membrane Excitability. Cell. 2015;162:836-48 pubmed publisher..In the morning, a voltage-independent sodium conductance via the NA/NALCN ion channel depolarizes these neurons...
- Kuromi H, Ueno K, Kidokoro Y. Two types of Ca2+ channel linked to two endocytic pathways coordinately maintain synaptic transmission at the Drosophila synapse. Eur J Neurosci. 2010;32:335-46 pubmed publisher..Thus, intense synaptic transmission is coordinately maintained by synaptic vesicle recycling initiated by Ca(2+) influx through the two types of Ca(2+) channel. ..
- Hardy R, Lindsley D, Livak K, Lewis B, Siversten A, Joslyn G, et al. Cytogenetic analysis of a segment of the Y chromosome of Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1984;107:591-610 pubmed..The meiotic phenotype is apparently sensitive to the amount of Y chromosome missing and to the Ste constitution of the X chromosome. ..
- Nishikawa K, Kidokoro Y. Halothane presynaptically depresses synaptic transmission in wild-type Drosophila larvae but not in halothane-resistant (har) mutants. Anesthesiology. 1999;90:1691-7 pubmed..on synaptic transmission at the larval neuromuscular junction in wild-type (Ore-R) and halothane-resistant (har) mutants of Drosophila melanogaster...