Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mys
Alias: BetaPS, BetaPS-Int, CG1560, CT40473, Dmel\CG1560, EM28, ItgbPS, MAb6G11, Mys, PS[[beta]], PSbeta, bPS, b[[PS]], beta integrin, beta-Int, beta-PS, beta-int, beta-integrin, beta1, betaInt, betaPS, betaPS Int, betaPS integrin, betaPS-integrin, betaPS1, beta[[PS]], beta[[PS]]-integrin, beta[[P]]S, beta[[mys]], betamys, integrin beta[[PS]], l(1)7Db, l(1)7Dn, l(1)93p, l(1)968, l(1)DA551, l(1)EM28, l(1)G0233, l(1)G0281, l(1)mys, nj42, olfC, myospheroid, CG1560-PA, CG1560-PB, CG1560-PC, CG1560-PD, Integrin-betaPS, PS integrin beta subunit, PS-beta-integrin, PSbeta-integrin, beta PS integrin, beta integrin, beta-PS integrin, beta-PS-Integrin, beta-PS1 integrin, beta-integrin, beta1 integrin, beta1-integrin, betaIntegrin, betaPS, betaPS integrin, betaPS-Integrin, betaPS.*integrin, beta[[PS]] integrin, beta[[PS]] integrin subunit, beta[[PS]]-integrin, beta[[mys]]-integrin, integrin PSbeta, integrin betaPS subunit, integrin beta[[PS]] subunit, integrin betaps, integrinbeta, lethal myospheroid, lethal(1)93 pupal, lethal(1)myospheroid, myo-spheroid, myospheriod, mys-PA, mys-PB, mys-PC, mys-PD, non-jumper-42, olfactory C, olfactory-C
Species: fruit fly
Publications102 found, 100 shown here
- Domínguez Giménez P, Brown N, Martin Bermudo M. Integrin-ECM interactions regulate the changes in cell shape driving the morphogenesis of the Drosophila wing epithelium. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:1061-71 pubmed..Finally, we show that the ECM has an instructive rather than a structural role, because inhibition of Raf reverses the cell shape changes caused by perturbing integrins. ..
- Llense F, Martin Blanco E. JNK signaling controls border cell cluster integrity and collective cell migration. Curr Biol. 2008;18:538-44 pubmed publisher..We anticipate a role for the JNK pathway in controlling collective cell movements in other morphogenetic and clinical models. ..
- Issigonis M, Tulina N, de Cuevas M, Brawley C, Sandler L, Matunis E. JAK-STAT signal inhibition regulates competition in the Drosophila testis stem cell niche. Science. 2009;326:153-6 pubmed publisher..Thus, in niches housing multiple stem cell types, negative feedback loops can modulate signaling, preventing one stem cell population from outcompeting the other. ..
- Stevens A, Jacobs J. Integrins regulate responsiveness to slit repellent signals. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4448-55 pubmed..Drosophila embryos doubly heterozygous for slit and an integrin gene, encoding alphaPS1, alphaPS2, alphaPS3, or betaPS1, take ectopic trajectories across the midline of the CNS...
- Schneider M, Khalil A, Poulton J, Castillejo Lopez C, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A, et al. Perlecan and Dystroglycan act at the basal side of the Drosophila follicular epithelium to maintain epithelial organization. Development. 2006;133:3805-15 pubmed..We suggest that the interaction of Pcan and Dg at the basal side of the epithelium promotes basal membrane differentiation and is required for maintenance of cell polarity in the FCE. ..
- Henchcliffe C, Garcia Alonso L, Tang J, Goodman C. Genetic analysis of laminin A reveals diverse functions during morphogenesis in Drosophila. Development. 1993;118:325-37 pubmed..These phenotypes suggest that laminin A has diverse functions during morphogenesis in Drosophila. ..
- Artero R, Prokop A, Paricio N, Begemann G, Pueyo I, Mlodzik M, et al. The muscleblind gene participates in the organization of Z-bands and epidermal attachments of Drosophila muscles and is regulated by Dmef2. Dev Biol. 1998;195:131-43 pubmed..mbl, therefore, may act as a critical element in the execution of two Dmef2-dependent processes in the terminal differentiation of muscles. ..
- Tsai P, Kao H, Grabbe C, Lee Y, Ghose A, Lai T, et al. Fak56 functions downstream of integrin alphaPS3betanu and suppresses MAPK activation in neuromuscular junction growth. Neural Dev. 2008;3:26 pubmed publisher..Unlike its conventional role in activating MAPK/ERK, Fak56 suppresses ERK activation in this process. These results suggest that Fak56 mediates a specific neuronal signaling pathway distinct from that in other cellular processes. ..
- Egoz Matia N, Nachman A, Halachmi N, Toder M, Klein Y, Salzberg A. Spatial regulation of cell adhesion in the Drosophila wing is mediated by Delilah, a potent activator of ?PS integrin expression. Dev Biol. 2011;351:99-109 pubmed publisher..The effect of Dei on ?PS expression is not restricted to the wing, suggesting that Dei functions as a general genetic switch, which is turned on wherever a sticky cell-identity is determined and integrin-based adhesion is required. ..
- Leptin M, Bogaert T, Lehmann R, Wilcox M. The function of PS integrins during Drosophila embryogenesis. Cell. 1989;56:401-8 pubmed..A Drosophila gene required for embryonic morphogenesis, l(1)myospheroid, codes for a product homologous to the beta subunit of the vertebrate integrins...
- Bécam I, Tanentzapf G, Lepesant J, Brown N, Huynh J. Integrin-independent repression of cadherin transcription by talin during axis formation in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:510-6 pubmed..Surprisingly, this function of talin is independent of integrins. These results uncover a new role for talin in regulating cadherin-mediated cell adhesion. ..
- Conder R, Yu H, Zahedi B, Harden N. The serine/threonine kinase dPak is required for polarized assembly of F-actin bundles and apical-basal polarity in the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 2007;305:470-82 pubmed..We propose that dPak mediates communication between the basement membrane and intracellular proteins required for polarization of the basal F-actin and for apical-basal polarity. ..
- Urbano J, Torgler C, Molnar C, Tepass U, López Varea A, Brown N, et al. Drosophila laminins act as key regulators of basement membrane assembly and morphogenesis. Development. 2009;136:4165-76 pubmed publisher..We propose that while an early function of laminins in gastrulation is not conserved in Drosophila and mammals, their function in basement membrane assembly and organogenesis seems to be maintained throughout evolution. ..
- Fujimoto J, Sawamoto K, Okabe M, Takagi Y, Tezuka T, Yoshikawa S, et al. Cloning and characterization of Dfak56, a homolog of focal adhesion kinase, in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29196-201 pubmed..We conclude that the Dfak56 tyrosine kinase is involved in integrin-mediated cell adhesion signaling and thus is a functional homolog of vertebrate FAK. ..
- Boube M, Martin Bermudo M, Brown N, Casanova J. Specific tracheal migration is mediated by complementary expression of cell surface proteins. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1554-62 pubmed
- Dinkins M, Fratto V, LeMosy E. Integrin alpha chains exhibit distinct temporal and spatial localization patterns in epithelial cells of the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3927-39 pubmed publisher..We find expression throughout development of the beta chain, betaPS. Alpha chains, however, exhibit both spatial and temporal expression differences...
- Brabant M, Fristrom D, Bunch T, Brower D. Distinct spatial and temporal functions for PS integrins during Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3307-17 pubmed..The early requirement, which probably requires dorsoventral segregation of PS1 and PS2, suggests functions for PS1 and PS2 in signaling events that regulate morphogenesis. ..
- Knox J, Moyer K, Yacoub N, Soldaat C, Komosa M, Vassilieva K, et al. Syndecan contributes to heart cell specification and lumen formation during Drosophila cardiogenesis. Dev Biol. 2011;356:279-90 pubmed publisher..Phenotypic interactions of syndecan with slit and Integrin mutants suggest intersecting function, consistent with Syndecan acting as a co-receptor for Slit in the Drosophila heart. ..
- Deak I, Bellamy P, Bienz M, Dubuis Y, Fenner E, Gollin M, et al. Mutations affecting the indirect flight muscles of Drosophila melanogaster. J Embryol Exp Morphol. 1982;69:61-81 pubmed..The absence of reduction of the 54 K protein was strongly correlated with aberrant Z-bands. ..
- Sone M, Suzuki E, Hoshino M, Hou D, Kuromi H, Fukata M, et al. Synaptic development is controlled in the periactive zones of Drosophila synapses. Development. 2000;127:4157-68 pubmed..b>BetaPS integrin and discs large (DLG), both involved in synaptic development, also decorated the zone...
- Pastor Pareja J, Xu T. Shaping cells and organs in Drosophila by opposing roles of fat body-secreted Collagen IV and perlecan. Dev Cell. 2011;21:245-56 pubmed publisher..Our results uncover incorporation of Collagen IV and Perlecan into BMs as a major determinant of organ shape and animal form. ..
- Brabant M, Brower D. PS2 integrin requirements in Drosophila embryo and wing morphogenesis. Dev Biol. 1993;157:49-59 pubmed..As seen for strong mutations at the myospheroid (mys) locus, which encodes the beta PS integrin subunit, if mutants show extreme defects in somatic muscle attachments and in midgut morphogenesis...
- Noselli S. JNK signaling and morphogenesis in Drosophila. Trends Genet. 1998;14:33-8 pubmed
- Kadrmas J, Smith M, Clark K, Pronovost S, Muster N, Yates J, et al. The integrin effector PINCH regulates JNK activity and epithelial migration in concert with Ras suppressor 1. J Cell Biol. 2004;167:1019-24 pubmed..Genetic interaction analyses reveal that both PINCH and RSU-1 antagonize JNK signaling during DC. Our results suggest that PINCH and RSU-1 contribute to the integration of JNK and integrin functions during Drosophila development. ..
- Fernández Miñán A, Martin Bermudo M, González Reyes A. Integrin signaling regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila to preserve the follicular-epithelium monolayer. Curr Biol. 2007;17:683-8 pubmed..The above data show that integrins are necessary for preserving the simple organization of a specialized epithelium and link integrin-mediated signaling to the correct orientation of the mitotic spindle in this epithelial cell type. ..
- Delon I, Brown N. The integrin adhesion complex changes its composition and function during morphogenesis of an epithelium. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:4363-74 pubmed publisher..Molecular variation of the integrin complex is thus a key component of developmentally programmed morphogenesis. ..
- Rui Y, Bai J, Perrimon N. Sarcomere formation occurs by the assembly of multiple latent protein complexes. PLoS Genet. 2010;6:e1001208 pubmed publisher..Thus, sarcomere formation occurs by the coordinated assembly of multiple latent protein complexes, as opposed to sequential assembly. ..
- Homsy J, Jasper H, Peralta X, Wu H, Kiehart D, Bohmann D. JNK signaling coordinates integrin and actin functions during Drosophila embryogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2006;235:427-34 pubmed..Here, we show that zipping is mediated by regulation of the integrins myospheroid and scab...
- Franco Cea A, Ellis S, Fairchild M, Yuan L, Cheung T, Tanentzapf G. Distinct developmental roles for direct and indirect talin-mediated linkage to actin. Dev Biol. 2010;345:64-77 pubmed publisher..Our results provide insight into how a similar array of molecular components can contribute to diverse adhesive processes throughout development. ..
- Zervas C, Psarra E, Williams V, Solomon E, Vakaloglou K, Brown N. A central multifunctional role of integrin-linked kinase at muscle attachment sites. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1316-27 pubmed publisher..Our data strengthen the view that the ILK complex is assembled sequentially at sites of integrin adhesion by employing multiple molecular interactions, which collectively stabilize the integrin-actin link. ..
- Sakaidani Y, Nomura T, Matsuura A, Ito M, Suzuki E, Murakami K, et al. O-linked-N-acetylglucosamine on extracellular protein domains mediates epithelial cell-matrix interactions. Nat Commun. 2011;2:583 pubmed publisher..Thus, O-GlcNAcylation of secreted and membrane glycoproteins is a novel mediator of cell-cell or cell-matrix interactions at the cell surface. ..
- MacKrell A, Blumberg B, Haynes S, Fessler J. The lethal myospheroid gene of Drosophila encodes a membrane protein homologous to vertebrate integrin beta subunits. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1988;85:2633-7 pubmedA mutant of Drosophila melanogaster carrying the lethal(1) myospheroid mutation [l(1)mys] has a defective musculature and a phenotype that suggests a defect of basement membranes...
- Bunch T, Brower D. Drosophila PS2 integrin mediates RGD-dependent cell-matrix interactions. Development. 1992;116:239-47 pubmed..Additionally, PS2 integrin can cause cell spreading on RGD peptide. The spreading on matrix components or RGD peptide can be inhibited by soluble RGD peptide and is dependent on divalent cations. ..
- Grinblat Y, Zusman S, Yee G, Hynes R, Kafatos F. Functions of the cytoplasmic domain of the beta PS integrin subunit during Drosophila development. Development. 1994;120:91-102 pubmed..encoding the cytoplasmic tail is thought to participate in important alternative splicing events in vertebrate beta integrin subunit genes, but is not required for the developmental functions of the mys gene assayed here...
- Graner M, Bunch T, Baumgartner S, Kerschen A, Brower D. Splice variants of the Drosophila PS2 integrins differentially interact with RGD-containing fragments of the extracellular proteins tiggrin, ten-m, and D-laminin 2. J Biol Chem. 1998;273:18235-41 pubmed..The betaPS integrin subunit also varies in the presumed ligand binding region as a result of alternative splicing...
- Inoue Y, Hayashi S. Tissue-specific laminin expression facilitates integrin-dependent association of the embryonic wing disc with the trachea in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2007;304:90-101 pubmed..Our data identify Wb laminin as an extracellular matrix ligand that is essential for integrin-dependent cellular migration in Drosophila. ..
- Roote C, Zusman S. Functions for PS integrins in tissue adhesion, migration, and shape changes during early embryonic development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1995;169:322-36 pubmed..embryos lacking both maternal and zygotic expression of the genes that encode the alpha PS1, alpha PS2, and beta PS integrin subunits. We demonstrate roles for these molecules as early as gastrulation...
- Fristrom D, Wilcox M, Fristrom J. The distribution of PS integrins, laminin A and F-actin during key stages in Drosophila wing development. Development. 1993;117:509-23 pubmed..These observations provide a basis for future investigations of integrin mediated adhesion in vivo. ..
- Hoang B, Chiba A. Genetic analysis on the role of integrin during axon guidance in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1998;18:7847-55 pubmed..Drosophila nervous system expresses low levels of positron-specific (PS) integrin subunits alphaPS1, alphaPS2, and betaPS during embryonic axogenesis...
- Gregory S, Brown N. kakapo, a gene required for adhesion between and within cell layers in Drosophila, encodes a large cytoskeletal linker protein related to plectin and dystrophin. J Cell Biol. 1998;143:1271-82 pubmed..Kakapo is also expressed more widely at a lower level where it is essential for epidermal cell layer stability. These results suggest that the Kakapo protein forms essential links among integrins, actin, and microtubules. ..
- Beumer K, Rohrbough J, Prokop A, Broadie K. A role for PS integrins in morphological growth and synaptic function at the postembryonic neuromuscular junction of Drosophila. Development. 1999;126:5833-46 pubmed..We conclude that betaPS integrin at the postembryonic NMJ is a critical determinant of morphological growth and synaptic specificity...
- Reed B, Wilk R, Schock F, Lipshitz H. Integrin-dependent apposition of Drosophila extraembryonic membranes promotes morphogenesis and prevents anoikis. Curr Biol. 2004;14:372-80 pubmed..These tissue interactions fail in a subset of myospheroid (mys: betaPS integrin) mutant embryos, leading to failure of germ band retraction and dorsal closure...
- Devenport D, Brown N. Morphogenesis in the absence of integrins: mutation of both Drosophila beta subunits prevents midgut migration. Development. 2004;131:5405-15 pubmedTwo integrin beta subunits are encoded in the Drosophila genome. The betaPS subunit is widely expressed and heterodimers containing this subunit are required for many developmental processes...
- Huelsmann S, Hepper C, Marchese D, Knoll C, Reuter R. The PDZ-GEF dizzy regulates cell shape of migrating macrophages via Rap1 and integrins in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2006;133:2915-24 pubmed..These data provide the first link between a PDZ-GEF, the corresponding small GTPase and integrin-dependent cell adhesion during cell migration in embryonic development. ..
- Amoyel M, Sanny J, Burel M, Bach E. Hedgehog is required for CySC self-renewal but does not contribute to the GSC niche in the Drosophila testis. Development. 2013;140:56-65 pubmed publisher..Therefore, the extended niche function of CySCs is solely attributable to JAK/STAT pathway function...
- Gotwals P, Fessler L, Wehrli M, Hynes R. Drosophila PS1 integrin is a laminin receptor and differs in ligand specificity from PS2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:11447-51 pubmed
- MacMullin A, Jacobs J. Slit coordinates cardiac morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;293:154-64 pubmed..This indicates that Slit participates in adhesion or adhesion signaling during heart development. ..
- Levi B, Ghabrial A, Krasnow M. Drosophila talin and integrin genes are required for maintenance of tracheal terminal branches and luminal organization. Development. 2006;133:2383-93 pubmed..Terminal cells mutant for myospheroid, the major Drosophila beta-integrin, or doubly mutant for multiple edematous wings and inflated alpha-integrins,..
- Jani K, Schock F. Zasp is required for the assembly of functional integrin adhesion sites. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1583-97 pubmed publisher..In tissues, Zasp colocalizes with betaPS integrin in myotendinous junctions and with alpha-actinin in muscle Z lines...
- Martin Bermudo M, Brown N. Intracellular signals direct integrin localization to sites of function in embryonic muscles. J Cell Biol. 1996;134:217-26 pubmed..Here we examine the basis for alphaPS2betaPS integrin subcellular localization. We show that the betaPS cytoplasmic tail is sufficient to direct the localization of a heterologous transmembrane protein, CD2, to the ..
- Bloor J, Brown N. Genetic analysis of the Drosophila alphaPS2 integrin subunit reveals discrete adhesive, morphogenetic and sarcomeric functions. Genetics. 1998;148:1127-42 pubmed..Each integrin is an alphabeta heterodimer, and the Drosophila betaPS subunit forms at least two integrins by association with different alpha subunits: alphaPS1betaPS (PS1) and ..
- Hutson M, Tokutake Y, Chang M, Bloor J, Venakides S, Kiehart D, et al. Forces for morphogenesis investigated with laser microsurgery and quantitative modeling. Science. 2003;300:145-9 pubmed..Modeling of wild-type and mutant phenotypes is predictive; although closure in myospheroid mutants ultimately fails when the cell sheets rip themselves apart, our analysis indicates that beta(PS) ..
- Bhuin T, Roy J. Rab11 is required for cell adhesion, maintenance of cell shape and actin-cytoskeleton organization during Drosophila wing development. Int J Dev Biol. 2011;55:269-79 pubmed publisher..Collectively, our data suggest that Rab11 regulates cell adhesion, maintenance of cell shape and actin-cytoskeleton organization during Drosophila wing development. ..
- Brown N. Null mutations in the alpha PS2 and beta PS integrin subunit genes have distinct phenotypes. Development. 1994;120:1221-31 pubmed..This shows that the alpha PS2 beta PS integrin only contributes part of the adhesive activity at the sites of PS integrin adhesion, and rules out a model ..
- Subramanian A, Wayburn B, Bunch T, Volk T. Thrombospondin-mediated adhesion is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1269-78 pubmed
- Pines M, Fairchild M, Tanentzapf G. Distinct regulatory mechanisms control integrin adhesive processes during tissue morphogenesis. Dev Dyn. 2011;240:36-51 pubmed publisher..Altogether, in vivo phenotypic analyses allowed us to identify the importance of various ?-integrin regulatory mechanisms during different morphogenetic processes. ..
- Brower D, Jaffe S. Requirement for integrins during Drosophila wing development. Nature. 1989;342:285-7 pubmed..Also, we conclude that the integrins are not necessary for the maintenance of the cell lineage restriction between the two presumptive wing surfaces in the developing imaginal disc. ..
- Bellen H, O Kane C, Wilson C, Grossniklaus U, Pearson R, Gehring W. P-element-mediated enhancer detection: a versatile method to study development in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1989;3:1288-300 pubmed..In light of our results, we discuss the diversity and complexity of cis-acting regulatory elements in the genome and the general applications of the enhancer detector method for the study of Drosophila development. ..
- Brower D, Bunch T, Mukai L, Adamson T, Wehrli M, Lam S, et al. Nonequivalent requirements for PS1 and PS2 integrin at cell attachments in Drosophila: genetic analysis of the alpha PS1 integrin subunit. Development. 1995;121:1311-20 pubmed..In contrast to if (alpha PS2) and mys (beta PS) mutants, most mutant mew embryos hatch, to die as larvae...
- Fristrom D, Gotwals P, Eaton S, Kornberg T, Sturtevant M, Bier E, et al. Blistered: a gene required for vein/intervein formation in wings of Drosophila. Development. 1994;120:2661-71 pubmed..ii) The integrin genes, inflated and myospheroid, are expressed in intervein cells and are required for adhesion between the dorsal and ventral wing surfaces...
- Gullberg D, Ekblom P. Extracellular matrix and its receptors during development. Int J Dev Biol. 1995;39:845-54 pubmed..It will be an interesting task to study the signal transduction pathways elicited by the interactions between ECM and the two receptor systems during muscle and epithelial morphogenesis. ..
- Stark K, Yee G, Roote C, Williams E, Zusman S, Hynes R. A novel alpha integrin subunit associates with betaPS and functions in tissue morphogenesis and movement during Drosophila development. Development. 1997;124:4583-94 pubmedWe have identified a novel alpha integrin subunit in Drosophila, that associates with betaPS integrin. We report the temporal expression of the gene encoding this integrin subunit, which we have called alphaPS3, throughout development ..
- Wilcox M, DiAntonio A, Leptin M. The function of PS integrins in Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Development. 1989;107:891-7 pubmed..The mutation non-jumper (mys(mj42)) in the beta subunit leads to wasting of the thoracic jump muscles...
- Murakami S, Umetsu D, Maeyama Y, Sato M, Yoshida S, Tabata T. Focal adhesion kinase controls morphogenesis of the Drosophila optic stalk. Development. 2007;134:1539-48 pubmed..Moreover, Fak56D genetically interacts with myospheroid, which encodes an integrin beta subunit...
- Ellis S, Pines M, Fairchild M, Tanentzapf G. In vivo functional analysis reveals specific roles for the integrin-binding sites of talin. J Cell Sci. 2011;124:1844-56 pubmed publisher..Disruption of each IBS has different developmental consequences, illustrating how the functional diversity of integrin-mediated adhesion is achieved. ..
- D Avino P, Thummel C. The ecdysone regulatory pathway controls wing morphogenesis and integrin expression during Drosophila metamorphosis. Dev Biol. 2000;220:211-24 pubmed..We also propose that ecdysone modulation of integrin expression might be widely used to control multiple aspects of adult development. ..
- Goddeeris M, Cook Wiens E, Horton W, Wolf H, Stoltzfus J, Borrusch M, et al. Delayed behavioural aging and altered mortality in Drosophila beta integrin mutants. Aging Cell. 2003;2:257-64 pubmed..and lifespan in flies harbouring loss-of-function mutations in myospheroid, the gene that encodes betaPS, a beta integrin. Integrins are adhesion molecules that regulate a number of cellular processes and developmental events...
- Löer B, Bauer R, Bornheim R, Grell J, Kremmer E, Kolanus W, et al. The NHL-domain protein Wech is crucial for the integrin-cytoskeleton link. Nat Cell Biol. 2008;10:422-8 pubmed publisher..The single murine Wech orthologue is also colocalized with Talin and ILK in muscle tissue. We propose that Wech proteins are crucial and evolutionarily conserved regulators of the integrin-cytoskeleton link. ..
- Volk T, Fessler L, Fessler J. A role for integrin in the formation of sarcomeric cytoarchitecture. Cell. 1990;63:525-36 pubmed..This change failed to occur in the multinucleate myotubes derived from integrin beta PS null myospheroid mutants. In normal embryos/early larvae, integrin was located at Z-bands and at muscle insertions...
- Zusman S, Patel King R, ffrench Constant C, Hynes R. Requirements for integrins during Drosophila development. Development. 1990;108:391-402 pubmed..integrins during development especially in ventrally derived structures, which also show strong expression of PS beta integrin. Smaller lethal(1)myospheroid clones induced during larval development result in blister and vein defects in ..
- Martin Bermudo M, Brown N. The localized assembly of extracellular matrix integrin ligands requires cell-cell contact. J Cell Sci. 2000;113 Pt 21:3715-23 pubmed..Thus, interaction between cells generates an extracellular environment capable of nucleating extracellular matrix assembly. ..
- Araujo H, Negreiros E, Bier E. Integrins modulate Sog activity in the Drosophila wing. Development. 2003;130:3851-64 pubmed..between sog and genes encoding a variety of extracellular components and uncovered interactions between sog and myospheroid (mys), multiple edematous wing (mew) and scab (scb), which encode betaPS, alphaPS1 and alphaPS3 integrin ..
- Estrada B, Gisselbrecht S, Michelson A. The transmembrane protein Perdido interacts with Grip and integrins to mediate myotube projection and attachment in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2007;134:4469-78 pubmed..not only with Grip but also with multiple edematous wings, which encodes one subunit of the alpha PS1-beta PS integrin expressed in tendon cells...
- Deng H, Hughes S, Bell J, Simmonds A. Alternative requirements for Vestigial, Scalloped, and Dmef2 during muscle differentiation in Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:256-69 pubmed publisher..Thus, the muscle-specific phenotypes we have associated with Vg or Sd may be a consequence of alternative binding of Vg and/or Sd to Dmef2 forming alternative protein complexes that modify Dmef2 activity. ..
- Bunch T, Graner M, Fessler L, Fessler J, Schneider K, Kerschen A, et al. The PS2 integrin ligand tiggrin is required for proper muscle function in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:1679-89 pubmed..while the RGD sequence is critical for PS2 interactions and full activity in the whole fly, the mutant tiggrin retains some function(s) that are probably mediated by interactions with other ECM molecules or cell surface receptors ..
- Viktorinova I, Pismen L, Aigouy B, Dahmann C. Modelling planar polarity of epithelia: the role of signal relay in collective cell polarization. J R Soc Interface. 2011;8:1059-63 pubmed publisher..Our computational model might be more generally applicable to study collective cell polarization in tissues. ..
- Brown N, Gregory S, Rickoll W, Fessler L, Prout M, White R, et al. Talin is essential for integrin function in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2002;3:569-79 pubmed..Embryos deficient in talin have very similar phenotypes to integrin (betaPS) null embryos, including failure in germ band retraction and muscle detachment...
- Bateman J, Reddy R, Saito H, Van Vactor D. The receptor tyrosine phosphatase Dlar and integrins organize actin filaments in the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Curr Biol. 2001;11:1317-27 pubmed..Mutations in Dlar and the common beta-integrin subunit mys cause a failure in oocyte elongation, which is correlated with a loss of proper actin filament organization...
- Bökel C, Brown N. Integrins in development: moving on, responding to, and sticking to the extracellular matrix. Dev Cell. 2002;3:311-21 pubmed..Integrins also participate in signaling events that govern tissue differentiation and organogenesis. Finally, adhesion by integrin-mediated junctions allows tissues to withstand mechanical load and is essential for tissue integrity. ..
- Tanentzapf G, Devenport D, Godt D, Brown N. Integrin-dependent anchoring of a stem-cell niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1413-8 pubmed..On the basis of our data, we propose that integrins are required for the attachment of the hub cells to the ECM, which is essential for maintaining the stem-cell niche. ..
- Jattani R, Patel U, Kerman B, Myat M. Deficiency screen identifies a novel role for beta 2 tubulin in salivary gland and myoblast migration in the Drosophila embryo. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:853-63 pubmed publisher..We also demonstrate that gland migration defects correlate with reduced betaPS and alphaPS2 integrin expression in the surrounding mesoderm and that beta2t genetically interacts with genes ..
- Fessler L, Nelson R, Fessler J. Drosophila extracellular matrix. Methods Enzymol. 1994;245:271-94 pubmed
- Yuan L, Fairchild M, Perkins A, Tanentzapf G. Analysis of integrin turnover in fly myotendinous junctions. J Cell Sci. 2010;123:939-46 pubmed publisher..We propose that IAC turnover is tightly regulated in long-term cell-ECM adhesions to allow normal tissue growth and maintenance. ..
- Goulas S, Conder R, Knoblich J. The Par complex and integrins direct asymmetric cell division in adult intestinal stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:529-40 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that mechanisms for intrinsically asymmetric cell division can be adapted to allow for the flexibility in lineage decisions that is required in adult stem cells. ..
- Walsh E, Brown N. A screen to identify Drosophila genes required for integrin-mediated adhesion. Genetics. 1998;150:791-805 pubmed..Thus several of these loci are good candidates for genes encoding cytoplasmic proteins required for integrin function. ..
- Zervas C, Gregory S, Brown N. Drosophila integrin-linked kinase is required at sites of integrin adhesion to link the cytoskeleton to the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2001;152:1007-18 pubmedIntegrin-linked kinase (ILK) was identified by its interaction with the cytoplasmic tail of human beta1 integrin and previous data suggest that ILK is a component of diverse signaling pathways, including integrin, Wnt, and protein kinase ..
- Kadandale P, Stender J, Glass C, Kiger A. Conserved role for autophagy in Rho1-mediated cortical remodeling and blood cell recruitment. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010;107:10502-7 pubmed publisher..These results illuminate a specific and conserved role for autophagy as a regulatory mechanism for cortical remodeling, with implications for immune cell function. ..
- Clark K, McGrail M, Beckerle M. Analysis of PINCH function in Drosophila demonstrates its requirement in integrin-dependent cellular processes. Development. 2003;130:2611-21 pubmed..Consistent with the idea that PINCH could contribute to integrin function, PINCH protein colocalizes with betaPS integrin at sites of actin filament anchorage in both muscle and wing epithelial cells...
- Torgler C, Narasimha M, Knox A, Zervas C, Vernon M, Brown N. Tensin stabilizes integrin adhesive contacts in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2004;6:357-69 pubmed
- Devenport D, Bunch T, Bloor J, Brower D, Brown N. Mutations in the Drosophila alphaPS2 integrin subunit uncover new features of adhesion site assembly. Dev Biol. 2007;308:294-308 pubmed..These mutations caused detachment of talin and actin from integrins, suggesting that the integrin-talin link is weaker than the ECM-integrin link. ..