Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mxc
Description: multi sex combs
Alias: CG12058, CG12124, Dmel\CG12124, Dmel_CG12058, MPM-2, MPM2, MXC, Mxc, NPAT, dNPAT, l(1)mbn, multi sex combs, CG12124-PA, CG12124-PB, lethal(1)malignant blood neoplasm, mxc-PA, mxc-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Dupont C, Dardalhon CumÃ©nal D, Kyba M, Brock H, Randsholt N, Peronnet F. Drosophila Cyclin G and epigenetic maintenance of gene expression during development. Epigenetics Chromatin. 2015;8:18 pubmed publisher..We discuss whether Cyclin G fine-tunes transcription by controlling H2A ubiquitination and transcriptional elongation via interaction with the ASX subunit of PR-DUB. ..
- Terzo E, Lyons S, Poulton J, Temple B, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Distinct self-interaction domains promote Multi Sex Combs accumulation in and formation of the Drosophila histone locus body. Mol Biol Cell. 2015;26:1559-74 pubmed publisher..biochemical analysis with confocal imaging of both fixed and live tissues to demonstrate that the Drosophila Multi Sex Combs (Mxc) protein contains multiple domains necessary for HLB assembly...
- Santamaria P, Randsholt N. Characterization of a region of the X chromosome of Drosophila including multi sex combs (mxc), a Polycomb group gene which also functions as a tumour suppressor. Mol Gen Genet. 1995;246:282-90 pubmed..A Polycomb group (Pc-G) gene, multi sex combs (mxc), is characterized and mutant alleles are described...
- Ruhf M, Braun A, Papoulas O, Tamkun J, Randsholt N, Meister M. The domino gene of Drosophila encodes novel members of the SWI2/SNF2 family of DNA-dependent ATPases, which contribute to the silencing of homeotic genes. Development. 2001;128:1429-41 pubmed..Altogether, the data lead us to propose that domino acts as a repressor by interfering with chromatin structure. This activity is likely to be performed as a subunit of a chromatin-remodeling complex. ..
- Tatomer D, Rizzardi L, Curry K, Witkowski A, Marzluff W, Duronio R. Drosophila Symplekin localizes dynamically to the histone locus body and tricellular junctions. Nucleus. 2014;5:613-25 pubmed publisher..This localization depends on the RNA binding protein ypsilon schachtel. CPSF-73 and a number of mRNAs are localized at this same site, suggesting that Symplekin participates in cytoplasmic polyadenylation at tricellular junctions. ..
- Guglielmi B, La Rochelle N, Tjian R. Gene-specific transcriptional mechanisms at the histone gene cluster revealed by single-cell imaging. Mol Cell. 2013;51:480-92 pubmed publisher..These results provide mechanistic insights for the role of gene-specific core promoter factors and implications for cell cycle-regulated gene expression. ..
- Gateff E. Tumor-suppressor genes, hematopoietic malignancies and other hematopoietic disorders of Drosophila melanogaster. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1994;712:260-79 pubmed
- Gateff E. The genetics and epigenetics of neoplasms in Drosophila. Biol Rev Camb Philos Soc. 1978;53:123-68 pubmed
- Ozawa N, Furuhashi H, Masuko K, Numao E, Makino T, Yano T, et al. Organ identity specification factor WGE localizes to the histone locus body and regulates histone expression to ensure genomic stability in Drosophila. Genes Cells. 2016;21:442-56 pubmed publisher..We propose that WGE at HLB contributes to genomic stability and development by regulating heterochromatin structure via histone gene regulation. ..
- Mckay D, Klusza S, Penke T, Meers M, Curry K, McDaniel S, et al. Interrogating the function of metazoan histones using engineered gene clusters. Dev Cell. 2015;32:373-86 pubmed publisher..These findings highlight the power of engineering histones to interrogate genome structure and function in animals. ..
- Yang X, Sabath I, Kunduru L, Van Wijnen A, Marzluff W, Dominski Z. A conserved interaction that is essential for the biogenesis of histone locus bodies. J Biol Chem. 2014;289:33767-82 pubmed publisher..the C-terminal domain of Mute interacts with a short region at the end of the Drosophila NPAT orthologue, multi sex combs (Mxc)...
- Saget O, Forquignon F, Santamaria P, Randsholt N. Needs and targets for the multi sex combs gene product in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 1998;149:1823-38 pubmedWe have analyzed the requirements for the multi sex combs (mxc) gene during development to gain further insight into the mechanisms and developmental processes that depend on the important trans-regulators forming the Polycomb group (PcG)..
- Löffler T, Wismar J, Sass H, Miyamoto T, Becker G, Konrad L, et al. Genetic and molecular analysis of six tumor suppressor genes in Drosophila melanogaster. Environ Health Perspect. 1990;88:157-61 pubmed..The tumors show all major characteristics of malignant and benign neoplastic growth. Genomic sequences of four of the genes have been identified and are currently being characterized. ..
- Mechler B. The fruit fly Drosophila and the fish Xiphophorus as model systems for cancer studies. Cancer Surv. 1990;9:505-27 pubmed..This gene encodes a receptor tyrosine kinase related to the EGF-receptor, and its activation and overexpression are thought to play a critical part in melanoma formation. ..
- Salzler H, Tatomer D, Malek P, McDaniel S, Orlando A, Marzluff W, et al. A sequence in the Drosophila H3-H4 Promoter triggers histone locus body assembly and biosynthesis of replication-coupled histone mRNAs. Dev Cell. 2013;24:623-34 pubmed publisher..We conclude that HLB assembly occurs through a stepwise process involving stochastic interactions of individual components that localize to a specific sequence in the H3-H4 promoter. ..
- Hill Burns E, Clark A. X-linked variation in immune response in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2009;183:1477-91 pubmed publisher..Many of the associations act in a sex-specific or sexually antagonistic manner, supporting the theory that with the selective pressures facing genes on the X chromosome, sexually antagonistic variation may be more easily maintained. ..
- Santamaria P. Genesis versus epigenesis: the odd jobs of the Polycomb group of genes. Int J Dev Biol. 1998;42:463-9 pubmed..I argue that spatial modulation of the multimeric complexes formed by PcG products has played a role or escorted the genesis of species. ..
- Gateff E, Mechler B. Tumor-suppressor genes of Drosophila melanogaster. Crit Rev Oncog. 1989;1:221-45 pubmed
- Burch B, Godfrey A, Gasdaska P, Salzler H, Duronio R, Marzluff W, et al. Interaction between FLASH and Lsm11 is essential for histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo in Drosophila. RNA. 2011;17:1132-47 pubmed publisher..Together, these studies demonstrate that direct interaction between dFLASH and dLsm11 is essential for histone pre-mRNA processing in vivo and for proper development and viability in flies. ..