Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mvl
Alias: CG3671, DMT1, Dmel\CG3671, NRM2, dNRAMP, mvl, malvolio, /Divalent metal transporter, CG3671-PB, CG3671-PD, CG3671-PE, CG3671-PF, CG3671-PG, CG3671-PH, Mvl-PB, Mvl-PD, Mvl-PE, Mvl-PF, Mvl-PG, Mvl-PH
Species: fruit fly
- Folwell J, Barton C, Shepherd D. Immunolocalisation of the D. melanogaster Nramp homologue Malvolio to gut and Malpighian tubules provides evidence that Malvolio and Nramp2 are orthologous. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:1988-95 pubmed..The Drosophila melanogaster Nramp-related gene is known as Malvolio. The localisation of Malvolio protein was inferred from the enhancer trap line initially used to isolate Malvolio ..
- Southon A, Farlow A, Norgate M, Burke R, Camakaris J. Malvolio is a copper transporter in Drosophila melanogaster. J Exp Biol. 2008;211:709-16 pubmed publisher..We set out to determine whether Malvolio (Mvl), the Drosophila melanogaster orthologue of DMT1, can also transport Cu...
- Dimarcq J, Imler J, Lanot R, Ezekowitz R, Hoffmann J, Janeway C, et al. Treatment of l(2)mbn Drosophila tumorous blood cells with the steroid hormone ecdysone amplifies the inducibility of antimicrobial peptide gene expression. Insect Biochem Mol Biol. 1997;27:877-86 pubmed..We also report that expression of several regulatory molecules thought to be involved in the immune response is up-regulated by ecdysone in l(2)mbn cells. ..
- GonzÃ¡lez Morales N, Mendoza OrtÃz M, Blowes L, Missirlis F, Riesgo Escovar J. Ferritin Is Required in Multiple Tissues during Drosophila melanogaster Development. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0133499 pubmed publisher..These functions are required in multiple tissues during Drosophila embryonic development. ..
- Soriano S, Calap Quintana P, Llorens J, Al Ramahi I, Gutierrez L, Martínez Sebastián M, et al. Metal Homeostasis Regulators Suppress FRDA Phenotypes in a Drosophila Model of the Disease. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0159209 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that the metal dysregulation in FRDA includes other metals besides iron, therefore providing a new set of potential therapeutic targets. ..
- Rodrigues V, Cheah P, Ray K, Chia W. malvolio, the Drosophila homologue of mouse NRAMP-1 (Bcg), is expressed in macrophages and in the nervous system and is required for normal taste behaviour. EMBO J. 1995;14:3007-20 pubmedWe report the sequence, expression pattern and mutant phenotype of malvolio (mvl), the Drosophila homologue of mammalian natural resistance-associated macrophage proteins (NRAMPs)...
- Shen P, Cai H. Drosophila neuropeptide F mediates integration of chemosensory stimulation and conditioning of the nervous system by food. J Neurobiol. 2001;47:16-25 pubmed..Our results strongly suggest that the dNPF neuronal circuit is an integral part of the sensory system that mediates food signaling, providing the neural basis for understanding how invertebrate NPY regulates food response. ..
- Bettedi L, Aslam M, Szular J, Mandilaras K, Missirlis F. Iron depletion in the intestines of Malvolio mutant flies does not occur in the absence of a multicopper oxidase. J Exp Biol. 2011;214:971-8 pubmed publisherMalvolio (Mvl) encodes the sole Drosophila melanogaster homologue of divalent metal transporter-1 (DMT1). The Drosophila transporter has been implicated in iron, manganese and copper cellular import...
- Panda D, Rose P, Hanna S, Gold B, Hopkins K, Lyde R, et al. Genome-wide RNAi screen identifies SEC61A and VCP as conserved regulators of Sindbis virus entry. Cell Rep. 2013;5:1737-48 pubmed publisher..Thus, this study reveals genes and pathways involved in both infection and iron homeostasis that may serve as targets for antiviral therapeutics or for iron-imbalance disorders. ..
- Nelson N. Metal ion transporters and homeostasis. EMBO J. 1999;18:4361-71 pubmed..The studies of yeast metal ion transporters helped to unravel the molecular mechanism of macrophage defense against bacterial infection and hereditary diseases. ..
- Tang X, Zhou B. Ferritin is the key to dietary iron absorption and tissue iron detoxification in Drosophila melanogaster. FASEB J. 2013;27:288-98 pubmed publisher..Overall, our study demonstrated Drosophila ferritin is essential to two key aspects of iron homeostasis: dietary iron absorption and tissue iron detoxification. ..