Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: MtnC
Description: Metallothionein C
Alias: CG5097, Dmel\CG5097, metallothionein C, CG5097-PA, MtnC-PA, metallothionein
Species: fruit fly
- Norgate M, Southon A, Greenough M, Cater M, Farlow A, Batterham P, et al. Syntaxin 5 is required for copper homeostasis in Drosophila and mammals. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e14303 pubmed publisher..Thus Syx5 plays an essential role in copper homeostasis and is a candidate gene for copper-related disease in humans. ..
- Guirola M, Naranjo Y, Capdevila M, Atrian S. Comparative genomics analysis of metallothioneins in twelve Drosophila species. J Inorg Biochem. 2011;105:1050-9 pubmed publisher..Data presented here will be comprehensively analyzed to provide a valuable guide for future MT evolutionary, structure and function studies. ..
- Günther V, Waldvogel D, Nosswitz M, Georgiev O, Schaffner W. Dissection of Drosophila MTF-1 reveals a domain for differential target gene activation upon copper overload vs. copper starvation. Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 2012;44:404-11 pubmed publisher..It mediates protection against heavy metal load by activating the expression of metallothionein and other genes...
- Georgiev P, Okkenhaug H, Drews A, Wright D, Lambert S, Flick M, et al. TRPM channels mediate zinc homeostasis and cellular growth during Drosophila larval development. Cell Metab. 2010;12:386-397 pubmed publisher..We propose that regulation of Zn(2+) homeostasis through dTRPM channels is required to support molecular processes that mediate class I PI3K-regulated cell growth. ..
- Qin Q, Wang X, Zhou B. Functional studies of Drosophila zinc transporters reveal the mechanism for dietary zinc absorption and regulation. BMC Biol. 2013;11:101 pubmed publisher..The knowledge gained will act as a reference for future mammalian studies, and also enable an appreciation of this important process from an evolutionary perspective. ..
- Soriano S, Calap Quintana P, Llorens J, Al Ramahi I, Gutierrez L, Martínez Sebastián M, et al. Metal Homeostasis Regulators Suppress FRDA Phenotypes in a Drosophila Model of the Disease. PLoS ONE. 2016;11:e0159209 pubmed publisher..Taken together, these results demonstrate that the metal dysregulation in FRDA includes other metals besides iron, therefore providing a new set of potential therapeutic targets. ..