Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mst87F
Description: Male-specific RNA 87F
Alias: BEST:GH23081, CG17956, Dmel\CG17956, Mst, bs35f12.y1, mst(3)87F, mst(3)gl-9, mst(3)gl9, mst-9, mst87F, Male-specific RNA 87F, CG17956-PA, CG17956-PB, Mst87F-PA, Mst87F-PB
Species: fruit fly
- Kempe E, Muhs B, Schafer M. Gene regulation in Drosophila spermatogenesis: analysis of protein binding at the translational control element TCE. Dev Genet. 1993;14:449-59 pubmed..1990). It is conserved among all seven members of the Mst(3)CGP gene family, that encode structural proteins of the sperm tail...
- White Cooper H, Schafer M, Alphey L, Fuller M. Transcriptional and post-transcriptional control mechanisms coordinate the onset of spermatid differentiation with meiosis I in Drosophila. Development. 1998;125:125-34 pubmed..We suggest that a gene or genes transcribed under the control of can, mia and sa allow(s) accumulation of twine protein, thus coordinating meiotic division with onset of spermatid differentiation. ..
- Hiller M, Lin T, Wood C, Fuller M. Developmental regulation of transcription by a tissue-specific TAF homolog. Genes Dev. 2001;15:1021-30 pubmed..Our results demonstrate that cell type-specific TAF(II)s play an important role in developmental regulation of gene expression. ..
- Chen X, Hiller M, Sancak Y, Fuller M. Tissue-specific TAFs counteract Polycomb to turn on terminal differentiation. Science. 2005;310:869-72 pubmed..Testis TAFs also promoted relocalization of Polycomb Repression Complex 1 components to the nucleolus in spermatocytes, implicating subnuclear architecture in the regulation of terminal differentiation. ..
- Chen X, Lu C, Morillo Prado J, Eun S, Fuller M. Sequential changes at differentiation gene promoters as they become active in a stem cell lineage. Development. 2011;138:2441-50 pubmed publisher..Together, the action of the tMAC and tTAF cell type-specific chromatin and transcription machinery leads to loss of Polycomb and release of stalled Pol II from the terminal differentiation gene promoters, allowing robust transcription. ..
- Schafer M, Kuhn R, Bosse F, Schafer U. A conserved element in the leader mediates post-meiotic translation as well as cytoplasmic polyadenylation of a Drosophila spermatocyte mRNA. EMBO J. 1990;9:4519-25 pubmedWe have previously shown that Mst87F (previously called mst(3)g1-9), a gene which is exclusively expressed in the male germ line of Drosophila melanogaster, is subject to negative translational control...
- Barckmann B, Chen X, Kaiser S, Jayaramaiah Raja S, Rathke C, Dottermusch Heidel C, et al. Three levels of regulation lead to protamine and Mst77F expression in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;377:33-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, the proper spatiotemporal expression pattern of major sperm chromatin components depends on cell-type-specific mechanisms of transcriptional and translational control. ..
- Yanicostas C, Vincent A, Lepesant J. Transcriptional and posttranscriptional regulation contributes to the sex-regulated expression of two sequence-related genes at the janus locus of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Cell Biol. 1989;9:2526-35 pubmed..The janA gene displayed a much more complex expression; one of the major mRNAs was found in both sexes and at all stages, whereas the two other janA transcripts were expressed only in males. ..
- Katzenberger R, Rach E, Anderson A, Ohler U, Wassarman D. The Drosophila Translational Control Element (TCE) is required for high-level transcription of many genes that are specifically expressed in testes. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e45009 pubmed publisher..The TCE functions in the 5' untranslated region of Mst(3)CGP mRNAs to repress translation, and it also functions in a heterologous gene to regulate transcription...
- Robin C, Daborn P, Hoffmann A. Fighting fly genes. Trends Genet. 2007;23:51-4 pubmed..Here, we describe the study of aggressive behaviour in flies and explore the possibility that cytochrome P450 is involved in aggression. ..
- Leser K, Awe S, Barckmann B, Renkawitz Pohl R, Rathke C. The bromodomain-containing protein tBRD-1 is specifically expressed in spermatocytes and is essential for male fertility. Biol Open. 2012;1:597-606 pubmed publisher..By inhibitor treatment of cultured testis we observed that sub-cellular localisation of tBRD-1 may depend on the acetylation status of primary spermatocytes. ..
- Moon S, Cho B, Min S, Lee D, Chung Y. The THO complex is required for nucleolar integrity in Drosophila spermatocytes. Development. 2011;138:3835-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that the Drosophila THO complex is necessary for proper spermatogenesis by contribution to the establishment or maintenance of nucleolar integrity rather than by nuclear mRNA export in spermatocytes...
- Kwon S, Xiao H, Wu C, Badenhorst P. Alternative splicing of NURF301 generates distinct NURF chromatin remodeling complexes with altered modified histone binding specificities. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000574 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal that variants of the NURF ATP-dependent chromatin remodeling complex that recognize post-translational histone modifications are important regulators of primary spermatocyte differentiation in Drosophila. ..
- Galindo M, Pueyo J, Fouix S, Bishop S, Couso J. Peptides encoded by short ORFs control development and define a new eukaryotic gene family. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e106 pubmed publisher..Our results open a new avenue for the annotation and functional analysis of genes and sequenced genomes, in which thousands of short ORFs are still uncharacterised...
- El Sharnouby S, Redhouse J, White R. Genome-wide and cell-specific epigenetic analysis challenges the role of polycomb in Drosophila spermatogenesis. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003842 pubmed publisher..The lack of Polycomb at tTAF-dependent spermatogenesis genes in precursor cells argues against a model where Polycomb displacement is the mechanism of spermatogenesis gene activation. ..