Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Ms
Alias: CG6440, DMS, Dm-MS, Dmel\CG6440, Dms, Drm-MS, Drome-MS, FLRFa, MEMS, Nems, cg6440, dms, myosuppressin, CG6440-PA, CG6440-PB, CG6440-PC, Drm-myosuppressin, Ms-PA, Ms-PB, Ms-PC, TDVDHVFLRFamide, dromyosuppressin, neomyosuppressin
Species: fruit fly
- Rosenkilde C, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Hauser F, Søndergaard L, DeLotto R, et al. Molecular cloning, functional expression, and gene silencing of two Drosophila receptors for the Drosophila neuropeptide pyrokinin-2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;309:485-94 pubmed..The two Drosophila pyrokinin receptors are, to our knowledge, the first invertebrate pyrokinin receptors to be identified. ..
- Carlsson M, Diesner M, Schachtner J, Nassel D. Multiple neuropeptides in the Drosophila antennal lobe suggest complex modulatory circuits. J Comp Neurol. 2010;518:3359-80 pubmed publisher..neuropeptide F, tachykinin related peptide, allatostatin A, myoinhibitory peptide, SIFamide, IPNamide, and myosuppressin. The neuropeptides were expressed in subsets of olfactory sensory cells and different populations of local ..
- Iversen A, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Hauser F, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a Drosophila receptor for the neuropeptides capa-1 and -2. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;299:628-33 pubmed..Because capa-1 and -2 and related insect neuropeptides stimulate fluid secretion in insect Malpighian (renal) tubules, the identification of this first insect capa receptor will advance our knowledge on insect renal function. ..
- Cazzamali G, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the first insect FMRFamide receptor. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2002;99:12073-8 pubmed..To our knowledge, this article is the first report on the molecular identification of an invertebrate FMRFamide receptor. ..
- Kaminski S, Orlowski E, Berry K, Nichols R. The effects of three Drosophila melanogaster myotropins on the frequency of foregut contractions differ. J Neurogenet. 2002;16:125-34 pubmed..Three Drosophila melanogaster myotropin families are represented by TDVDHVFLRFamide, dromyosuppressin (DMS), pEVRYRQCYFNPISCF, an allatostatin C-type peptide named flatline (FLT), and SDNFMRFamide, a FMRFamide-..
- Duttlinger A, Berry K, Nichols R. The different effects of three Drosophila melanogaster dFMRFamide-containing peptides on crop contractions suggest these structurally related peptides do not play redundant functions in gut. Peptides. 2002;23:1953-7 pubmed..TPAEDFMRFamide-specific antisera did not stain the crop, which suggests it acts as a hormone. TDVDHVFLRFamide (DMS), encoded in D. melanogaster myosuppressin, stops crop contractions...
- Egerod K, Reynisson E, Hauser F, Williamson M, Cazzamali G, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of the first insect proctolin receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;306:437-42 pubmed..The Drosophila receptor reported here is the first invertebrate proctolin receptor to be identified. ..
- Egerod K, Reynisson E, Hauser F, Cazzamali G, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of the first two specific insect myosuppressin receptors. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2003;100:9808-13 pubmed..and found that each of them coded for a receptor that could be activated by low concentrations of Drosophila myosuppressin (EC50,4 x 10(-8) M). The insect myosuppressins are decapeptides that generally inhibit insect visceral muscles...
- Shang Y, Donelson N, Vecsey C, Guo F, Rosbash M, Griffith L. Short neuropeptide F is a sleep-promoting inhibitory modulator. Neuron. 2013;80:171-83 pubmed publisher..sNPF acutely increases sleep without altering feeding behavior, which it affects only on a much longer time scale. The profound effect of sNPF on sleep indicates that it is an important sleep-promoting molecule. ..
- Salisbury J, Boggio K, Hsu Y, Quijada J, Sivachenko A, Gloeckner G, et al. A rapid MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry workflow for Drosophila melanogaster differential neuropeptidomics. Mol Brain. 2013;6:60 pubmed publisher..Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization-time of flight mass spectrometry (MALDI-TOF MS) analysis of nervous tissues from a variety of organisms allows direct detection and identification of neuropeptides...
- Nichols R. Isolation and structural characterization of Drosophila TDVDHVFLRFamide and FMRFamide-containing neural peptides. J Mol Neurosci. 1992;3:213-8 pubmed..A novel Drosophila peptide ThrAspValAspHisValPheLeuArgPheNH2 (TDVDHVFLRFamide) was also isolated...
- Johard H, Enell L, Gustafsson E, Trifilieff P, Veenstra J, Nassel D. Intrinsic neurons of Drosophila mushroom bodies express short neuropeptide F: relations to extrinsic neurons expressing different neurotransmitters. J Comp Neurol. 2008;507:1479-96 pubmed publisher..However, it is likely that the Kenyon cells utilize an additional neurotransmitter, yet to be identified, and that the neuropeptides described here may represent cotransmitters. ..
- Gauthier S, Hewes R. Transcriptional regulation of neuropeptide and peptide hormone expression by the Drosophila dimmed and cryptocephal genes. J Exp Biol. 2006;209:1803-15 pubmed..Central nervous system expression of three neuropeptide genes, Dromyosuppressin, FMRFamide-related and Leucokinin, is activated by dimm...
- Hector C, Bretz C, Zhao Y, Johnson E. Functional differences between two CRF-related diuretic hormone receptors in Drosophila. J Exp Biol. 2009;212:3142-7 pubmed publisher..The functional characterization of this diuretic hormone receptor in Drosophila demonstrates a high degree of conservation of CRF-like signaling. ..
- Collin C, Hauser F, Krogh Meyer P, Hansen K, González de Valdivia E, Williamson M, et al. Identification of the Drosophila and Tribolium receptors for the recently discovered insect RYamide neuropeptides. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2011;412:578-83 pubmed publisher..Gene expression data published in Flybase (www.flybase.org) show that the Drosophila CG5811 gene is significantly expressed in the hindgut of adult flies, suggesting a role of insect RYamides in digestion or water reabsorption...
- Kiss B, Szlanka T, Zvara A, Zurovec M, Sery M, Kakaš S, et al. Selective elimination/RNAi silencing of FMRF-related peptides and their receptors decreases the locomotor activity in Drosophila melanogaster. Gen Comp Endocrinol. 2013;191:137-45 pubmed publisherFive neuropeptide genes are classified in the FMRF-related (FaRP) group: the Fmrf, dromyosuppressin (Dms), drosulfakinin (Dsk), neuropeptide F (npf) and short neuropeptide F (sNPF) genes coding for 8, 1, 2, 1 and 4 peptides, respectively...
- Heifetz Y, Lindner M, Garini Y, Wolfner M. Mating regulates neuromodulator ensembles at nerve termini innervating the Drosophila reproductive tract. Curr Biol. 2014;24:731-7 pubmed publisher..locusts [7, 14-20]; serotonin, which regulates muscle contraction in locust oviducts ; and the FMRF amide dromyosuppressin, which regulates contraction of Drosophila heart muscle  and may regulate muscle contractions in the ..
- Nichols R. FMRFamide-related peptides and serotonin regulate Drosophila melanogaster heart rate: mechanisms and structure requirements. Peptides. 2006;27:1130-7 pubmed..melanogaster FMRFamide-related peptides (FaRPs) include SDNFMRFamide, PDNFMRFamide, and TDVDHVFLRFamide (dromyosuppressin, DMS); each peptide contains a C-terminal FMRFamide but a different N-terminal extension...
- Wegener C, Gorbashov A. Molecular evolution of neuropeptides in the genus Drosophila. Genome Biol. 2008;9:R131 pubmed publisher..The last common ancestor of Drosophila obviously had a set of neuropeptides and peptide hormones identical to that of modern fruit flies. This is remarkable, since drosophilid flies have adapted to very different environments. ..
- Cazzamali G, Saxild N, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular cloning and functional expression of a Drosophila corazonin receptor. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2002;298:31-6 pubmed..Furthermore, a receptor that is structurally very similar to the Drosophila corazonin receptor can be found in the genomic database from the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae. ..
- Bendena W, Campbell J, Zara L, Tobe S, Chin Sang I. Select Neuropeptides and their G-Protein Coupled Receptors in Caenorhabditis Elegans and Drosophila Melanogaster. Front Endocrinol (Lausanne). 2012;3:93 pubmed publisher..melanogaster and C. elegans and the behaviors that have been uncovered through genetic manipulation. ..
- Cazzamali G, Hauser F, Kobberup S, Williamson M, Grimmelikhuijzen C. Molecular identification of a Drosophila G protein-coupled receptor specific for crustacean cardioactive peptide. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;303:146-52 pubmed..Furthermore, we identified a gene sequence in the genomic database from the malaria mosquito Anopheles gambiae that very likely codes for a crustacean cardioactive peptide receptor. ..
- Dickerson M, McCormick J, Mispelon M, Paisley K, Nichols R. Structure-activity and immunochemical data provide evidence of developmental- and tissue-specific myosuppressin signaling. Peptides. 2012;36:272-9 pubmed publisher..Drosophila myosuppressin (DMS, TDVDHVFLRFamide) structure-activity relationship (SAR) was investigated to identify an antagonist and explore signaling...
- Johnson -, Ringo -, Dowse -. Native and heterologous neuropeptides are cardioactive in Drosophila melanogaster. J Insect Physiol. 2000;46:1229-1236 pubmed..Of the native peptides, TDVDHVFLRF-NH(2) (Dromyosuppressin), DPKQDFMRFamide, and PDNFMRFamide significantly slowed the heart...
- Sellami A, Wegener C, Veenstra J. Functional significance of the copper transporter ATP7 in peptidergic neurons and endocrine cells in Drosophila melanogaster. FEBS Lett. 2012;586:3633-8 pubmed publisher..from one cell type to another; it was very pronounced for AKH and corazonin, but much less so for SIFamide and myosuppressin. Nevertheless, down-regulation of ATP7 specifically in the SIFamide-expressing neurons resulted in male-male ..
- Thomas A, Lee P, Dalton J, Nomie K, Stoica L, Costa Mattioli M, et al. A versatile method for cell-specific profiling of translated mRNAs in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e40276 pubmed publisher..This method can be used to determine the unique translatome profiles in different cell-types under varied physiological, pharmacological and pathological conditions. ..
- Johnson E, Bohn L, Taghert P. Drosophila CG8422 encodes a functional diuretic hormone receptor. J Exp Biol. 2004;207:743-8 pubmed..The identification of a Drosophila receptor for the DH neuropeptide provides a basis for genetic analysis of this critical factor's roles in maintaining physiological homeostasis. ..
- Wegener C, Herbert H, Kahnt J, Bender M, Rhea J. Deficiency of prohormone convertase dPC2 (AMONTILLADO) results in impaired production of bioactive neuropeptide hormones in Drosophila. J Neurochem. 2011;118:581-95 pubmed publisher..The lack of AMON activity resulted in a deficiency of L3 larva to enter the wandering phase. In conclusion, our findings provide the first direct evidence that AMON is a key enzyme in the production of neuropeptides in the fruitfly. ..
- Feng G, Reale V, Chatwin H, Kennedy K, Venard R, Ericsson C, et al. Functional characterization of a neuropeptide F-like receptor from Drosophila melanogaster. Eur J Neurosci. 2003;18:227-38 pubmed..The identification of this neuropeptide F-like receptor and its endogenous ligand by reverse pharmacology will facilitate genetic and behavioural studies of neuropeptide functions in Drosophila. ..
- Mispelon M, Thakur K, Chinn L, Owen R, Nichols R. A nonpeptide provides insight into mechanisms that regulate Drosophila melanogaster heart contractions. Peptides. 2003;24:1599-605 pubmed..Bztc mimicked the effect of the peptide dromyosuppressin (DMS) on the heart at an equivalent concentration; in contrast, 103-fold more nonpeptide is required to mimic ..
- Merte J, Nichols R. Drosophila melanogaster myotropins have unique functions and signaling pathways. Peptides. 2002;23:757-63 pubmedDrosophila melanogaster TDVDHVFLRFamide (DMS), SDNFMRFamide, and pEVRFRQCYFNPISCF (FLT) represent three structurally distinct peptide families...
- Peixoto A, Costa R, Hall J. Molecular and behavioral analysis of sex-linked courtship song variation in a natural population of Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 2000;14:245-56 pubmed..We found significant differences among the lines in IPI and PA, and for the latter a significant association with one of the polymorphic sites of cac. ..
- Isaac R, Kim Y, Audsley N. The degradome and the evolution of Drosophila sex peptide as a ligand for the MIP receptor. Peptides. 2014;53:258-64 pubmed publisher..melanogaster. SP has evolved relatively recently as a MIP receptor ligand that is particularly well adapted to surviving in the hostile degradome of the male accessory gland and seminal fluid. ..
- Johnson E, Shafer O, Trigg J, Park J, Schooley D, Dow J, et al. A novel diuretic hormone receptor in Drosophila: evidence for conservation of CGRP signaling. J Exp Biol. 2005;208:1239-46 pubmed..Therefore, it appears that both the molecular details as well as the functional organization of CGRP signaling have been conserved. ..