Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: ms(3)K81
Description: male sterile (3) K81
Alias: CG14251, Dmel\CG14251, K81, ms(3)97Dg, ms(3)k81, male sterile (3) K81, CG14251-PA, ms(3)K81-PA, paternal haploid, paternal-haploid
Species: fruit fly
- Loppin B, Docquier M, Bonneton F, Couble P. The maternal effect mutation sésame affects the formation of the male pronucleus in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 2000;222:392-404 pubmed..This suggests that the maternally provided sésame(+) function is required for a late stage of sperm chromatin remodeling. ..
- Dubruille R, Orsi G, Delabaere L, Cortier E, Couble P, Marais G, et al. Specialization of a Drosophila capping protein essential for the protection of sperm telomeres. Curr Biol. 2010;20:2090-9 pubmed publisher..that the hiphop gene was duplicated before the radiation of the melanogaster subgroup of species, giving birth to K81, a unique paternal effect gene specifically expressed in the male germline. ..
- Liu J, Lin H, Lopez J, Wolfner M. Formation of the male pronuclear lamina in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 1997;184:187-96 pubmed..localization of YA and lamin Dm in mutant embryos defective for the function of either the male pronucleus (mh, K81, and pal or both pronuclei (gnu, png, and plu)...
- Lin H, Song K, Hutcheson G, Goutte C, Wolfner M. A maternally encoded nuclear envelope protein required for embryonic mitosis in Drosophila. Cold Spring Harb Symp Quant Biol. 1991;56:719-27 pubmed
- Orsi G, Algazeery A, Meyer R, Capri M, Sapey Triomphe L, Horard B, et al. Drosophila Yemanuclein and HIRA cooperate for de novo assembly of H3.3-containing nucleosomes in the male pronucleus. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003285 pubmed publisher..3 deposition pathway is not involved in paternal chromatin assembly, thus underlining the specific implication of the HIRA/YEM complex for this essential step of zygote formation. ..
- Charlat S, Hurst G, Merçot H. Evolutionary consequences of Wolbachia infections. Trends Genet. 2003;19:217-23 pubmed..Here we discuss the potential of Wolbachia for promoting evolutionary changes in its hosts. ..
- Erickson J, Quintero J. Indirect effects of ploidy suggest X chromosome dose, not the X:A ratio, signals sex in Drosophila. PLoS Biol. 2007;5:e332 pubmed..Our findings reiterate that correlations between X:A ratios and cell fates in other organisms need not implicate the value of the ratio as an active signal. ..
- Knibb W, Tearle R, Elizur A, Saint R. Genetic analysis of chromosomal region 97D2-9 of Drosophila melanogaster. Mol Gen Genet. 1993;239:109-14 pubmed..In addition to rough, one other locus within this region, 1(3)97De, was shown to be required for formation of the normal pattern of photoreceptor cells in the compound eye. ..
- Langley C, Crepeau M, Cardeno C, Corbett Detig R, Stevens K. Circumventing heterozygosity: sequencing the amplified genome of a single haploid Drosophila melanogaster embryo. Genetics. 2011;188:239-46 pubmed publisher..haploid genome of a progeny of females mated to males homozygous for the recessive male sterile mutation, ms(3)K81. A single "lane" of paired-end sequences (2 × 76 bp) provides a good syntenic assembly with >95% high-..
- Fitch K, Yasuda G, Owens K, Wakimoto B. Paternal effects in Drosophila: implications for mechanisms of early development. Curr Top Dev Biol. 1998;38:1-34 pubmed..Analyses of the paternal effects mutations sneaky, K81, paternal loss, and Horka have identified paternal products that play a role in mediating the initial response of ..
- Moazed D, O Farrell P. Maintenance of the engrailed expression pattern by Polycomb group genes in Drosophila. Development. 1992;116:805-10 pubmed
- Perrimon N, Engstrom L, Mahowald A. A pupal lethal mutation with a paternally influenced maternal effect on embryonic development in Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Biol. 1985;110:480-91 pubmed..When the zygotic activity l(1)ph+ is modulated using position effect variegation a new phenotype is observed among class 2 embryos in which torso embryos are twisted along their longitudinal axis. ..
- Gratz S, Wildonger J, Harrison M, O Connor Giles K. CRISPR/Cas9-mediated genome engineering and the promise of designer flies on demand. Fly (Austin). 2013;7:249-55 pubmed publisher..Here we highlight the variety of genome modifications facilitated by the CRISPR/Cas9 system along with key considerations for starting your own CRISPR genome engineering project. ..
- Ohsako T, Hirai K, Yamamoto M. The Drosophila misfire gene has an essential role in sperm activation during fertilization. Genes Genet Syst. 2003;78:253-66 pubmed
- Haigh A, MacDonald W, Lloyd V. The generation of cloned Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2005;169:1165-7 pubmed
- Fuyama Y. Genetics of Parthenogenesis in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. I. the Modes of Diploidization in the Gynogenesis Induced by a Male-Sterile Mutant, ms(3)K81. Genetics. 1986;112:237-48 pubmedSperm that are produced by males homozygous for ms(3)K81 , a male sterile mutant of Drosophila melanogaster, are defective in syngamy but are capable of activating eggs to develop gynogenetically...
- Xue Z, Wu M, Wen K, Ren M, Long L, Zhang X, et al. CRISPR/Cas9 mediates efficient conditional mutagenesis in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2014;4:2167-73 pubmed publisher..The CRISPR/Cas9-mediated conditional mutagenesis system provides a simple and effective tool for gene function analysis, and complements the existing RNAi approach. ..
- Haigh A, Lloyd V. Why clone flies? Using cloned Drosophila to monitor epigenetic defects. Fly (Austin). 2007;1:6-12 pubmed..Thus, Drosophila can potentially be used to study epigenetic dysfunction in cloned animals and to screen for genetic and epigenetic conditions that promote the production of healthy clones. ..
- Dubruille R, Marais G, Loppin B. Repeated evolution of testis-specific new genes: the case of telomere-capping genes in Drosophila. Int J Evol Biol. 2012;2012:708980 pubmed publisher..hiphop and its testis-specific paralog K81 are critical for the protection of chromosome ends in somatic cells and male gametes, respectively...
- Wesolowska N, Amariei F, Rong Y. Clustering and protein dynamics of Drosophila melanogaster telomeres. Genetics. 2013;195:381-91 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose that clustering is independent of sequence and is likely maintained by an as yet undetermined factor. ..
- Vibranovski M, Lopes H, Karr T, Long M. Stage-specific expression profiling of Drosophila spermatogenesis suggests that meiotic sex chromosome inactivation drives genomic relocation of testis-expressed genes. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000731 pubmed publisher..These results suggest MSCI as a general mechanism affecting the evolution of some testis-expressed genes. ..
- Dubruille R, Loppin B. Protection of Drosophila chromosome ends through minimal telomere capping. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:1969-81 pubmed publisher..show that the exhaustion of HOAP results in a dramatic reduction of other capping proteins at telomeres, including K81 [encoded by ms(3)K81], which is essential for male fertility...