Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mre11
Description: meiotic recombination 11
Alias: 16928, CG16928, Dmel\CG16928, MRE11, Mre11, meiotic recombination 11, CG16928-PA, mre11-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Bi X, Srikanta D, Fanti L, Pimpinelli S, Badugu R, Kellum R, et al. Drosophila ATM and ATR checkpoint kinases control partially redundant pathways for telomere maintenance. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:15167-72 pubmed..The ATM-controlled pathway includes the Mre11 and Nijmegen breakage syndrome complex but not the Chk2 kinase, whereas the ATR-regulated pathway includes its ..
- Bi X, Gong M, Srikanta D, Rong Y. Drosophila ATM and Mre11 are essential for the G2/M checkpoint induced by low-dose irradiation. Genetics. 2005;171:845-7 pubmed..Our data indicate that both ATM and its regulator Mre11 are important for the checkpoint and that their roles become essential when animals are challenged with a low dose ..
- Oikemus S, Queiroz Machado J, Lai K, McGinnis N, Sunkel C, Brodsky M. Epigenetic telomere protection by Drosophila DNA damage response pathways. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e71 pubmed..Mutations in Drosophila DNA damage response genes such as atm/tefu, mre11, or rad50 disrupt telomere protection and localization of the telomere-associated proteins HP1 and HOAP, ..
- Raffa G, Siriaco G, Cugusi S, Ciapponi L, Cenci G, Wojcik E, et al. The Drosophila modigliani (moi) gene encodes a HOAP-interacting protein required for telomere protection. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2271-6 pubmed publisher..They include UbcD1, HP1, HOAP, the components of the Mre11-Rad50-Nbs (MRN) complex, the ATM kinase, and the putative transcription factor Woc...
- Yucel J, Marszalek J, McIntosh J, Goldstein L, Cleveland D, Philp A. CENP-meta, an essential kinetochore kinesin required for the maintenance of metaphase chromosome alignment in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2000;150:1-11 pubmed
- Wesolowska N, Amariei F, Rong Y. Clustering and protein dynamics of Drosophila melanogaster telomeres. Genetics. 2013;195:381-91 pubmed publisher..Based on these results, we propose that clustering is independent of sequence and is likely maintained by an as yet undetermined factor. ..
- Lee J, Song M, Hong S. Negative regulation of the novel norpA(P24) suppressor, diehard4, in the endo-lysosomal trafficking underlies photoreceptor cell degeneration. PLoS Genet. 2013;9:e1003559 pubmed publisher..We anticipate that the identification of additional components and an in-depth description of this specific molecular machinery will aid in therapeutic interventions of various retinal dystrophies and GPCR-related human diseases. ..
- Raffa G, Cenci G, Ciapponi L, Gatti M. Organization and Evolution of Drosophila Terminin: Similarities and Differences between Drosophila and Human Telomeres. Front Oncol. 2013;3:112 pubmed publisher..Other proteins required to prevent end-to-end fusion in flies include HP1, Eff/UbcD1, ATM, the components of the Mre11-Rad50-Nbs (MRN) complex, and the Woc transcription factor...
- Purdy A, Su T. Telomeres: not all breaks are equal. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R613-4 pubmedATM, Rad50 and Mre11 have been shown to prevent telomere fusion in Drosophila, thereby extending the protective role of DNA damage checkpoint proteins to non-canonical telomeres formed without telomerase...
- Kurzhals R, Titen S, Xie H, Golic K. Chk2 and p53 are haploinsufficient with dependent and independent functions to eliminate cells after telomere loss. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002103 pubmed publisher..In spite of these mechanisms to eliminate cells that have lost a telomere, we find that such cells can make a substantial contribution to differentiated adult tissues. ..
- Pawlowski W, Cande W. Coordinating the events of the meiotic prophase. Trends Cell Biol. 2005;15:674-81 pubmed..Understanding the coordination between chromosome pairing, synapsis and recombination lends insight into many poorly explained aspects of meiosis, such as the nature of chromosome homology recognition. ..
- Morciano P, Carrisi C, Capobianco L, Mannini L, Burgio G, Cestra G, et al. A conserved role for the mitochondrial citrate transporter Sea/SLC25A1 in the maintenance of chromosome integrity. Hum Mol Genet. 2009;18:4180-8 pubmed publisher..This study therefore provides an intriguing and unexpected link between intermediary metabolism and epigenetic control of genome stability. ..
- Cipressa F, Romano S, Centonze S, zur Lage P, Vernì F, Dimitri P, et al. Effete, a Drosophila chromatin-associated ubiquitin-conjugating enzyme that affects telomeric and heterochromatic position effect variegation. Genetics. 2013;195:147-58 pubmed publisher..Eff is enriched at several euchromatic bands and interbands, the TAS regions, and the chromocenter. Our results suggest that Eff associates with different types of chromatin affecting their abilities to regulate gene expression. ..
- Ahmad K. The end in sight. Mol Cell. 2004;15:494-5 pubmed..Surprisingly, recent work in Drosophila reveals that the essential function of HP1 is accomplished by another mode of binding. ..
- Kusch T. Brca2-Pds5 complexes mobilize persistent meiotic recombination sites to the nuclear envelope. J Cell Sci. 2015;128:717-27 pubmed publisher..The identification of Brca2-Pds5 complexes as key mediators of this process provides a first mechanistic explanation for the contribution of lamins and cohesins to meiotic recombination. ..
- Zhang D, Wang D, Sun F. Drosophila melanogaster heterochromatin protein HP1b plays important roles in transcriptional activation and development. Chromosoma. 2011;120:97-108 pubmed publisher..Overall, this study argues that HP1b counteracts HP1a function both in heterochromatin formation and in the transcriptional regulation of euchromatic genes. ..
- Zhang C, Hong Z, Ma W, Ma D, Qian Y, Xie W, et al. Drosophila UTX coordinates with p53 to regulate ku80 expression in response to DNA damage. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e78652 pubmed publisher..In contrast, the loss of utx has little impact on the expression of ku70, mre11, hid and reaper, suggesting the specific regulation of ku80 expression by UTX...
- Morciano P, Zhang Y, Cenci G, Rong Y. A hypomorphic mutation reveals a stringent requirement for the ATM checkpoint protein in telomere protection during early cell division in Drosophila. G3 (Bethesda). 2013;3:1043-8 pubmed publisher..The amenability of Drosophila embryos to molecular and biochemical investigations ensures that this newly identified mutation will facilitate future studies of ATM in telomere maintenance. ..
- Hong S, Choi K. TCTP directly regulates ATM activity to control genome stability and organ development in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Commun. 2013;4:2986 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this study provides the first in vivo evidence for direct modulation of dATM activity by dTCTP in the control of genome stability and organ development. ..