Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: morgue
Description: modifier of rpr and grim, ubiquitously expressed
Alias: BcDNA:GH02435, CG15437, Dmel\CG15437, FBXO18, Morgue, modifier of rpr and grim, ubiquitously expressed, CG15437-PA, morgue-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Brachmann C, Cagan R. Patterning the fly eye: the role of apoptosis. Trends Genet. 2003;19:91-6 pubmed..But, we have yet to understand how this signaling is regulated spatially to result in such precision. In this article, we describe and speculate on the role of selective cell death during maturation of the fly eye. ..
- Ditzel M, Meier P. IAP degradation: decisive blow or altruistic sacrifice?. Trends Cell Biol. 2002;12:449-52 pubmed
- Palaga T, Osborne B. The 3D's of apoptosis: death, degradation and DIAPs. Nat Cell Biol. 2002;4:E149-51 pubmed..Recent evidence suggests that in some situations, induction of apoptosis initiates general repression of translation, as well as the targeted ubiquitination and degradation of IAPs. ..
- Claveria C, Torres M. Mitochondrial apoptotic pathways induced by Drosophila programmed cell death regulators. Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 2003;304:531-7 pubmed..Recent molecular and cellular analyses suggest, however, that the mechanisms of action of the main programmed cell death regulators in Drosophila include a canonical mitochondrial pathway. ..
- Xu D, Woodfield S, Lee T, Fan Y, Antonio C, Bergmann A. Genetic control of programmed cell death (apoptosis) in Drosophila. Fly (Austin). 2009;3:78-90 pubmed..Here, we review the key players of the cell death pathway in Drosophila and discuss their roles in apoptotic and non-apoptotic processes. ..
- Michelle C, Vourc H P, Mignon L, Andres C. What was the set of ubiquitin and ubiquitin-like conjugating enzymes in the eukaryote common ancestor?. J Mol Evol. 2009;68:616-28 pubmed publisher..A better understanding of the functions of these enzymes is necessary to decipher several human diseases. ..
- Miskiewicz K, Jose L, Bento Abreu A, Fislage M, Taes I, Kasprowicz J, et al. ELP3 controls active zone morphology by acetylating the ELKS family member Bruchpilot. Neuron. 2011;72:776-88 pubmed publisher..We propose a model where ELP3-dependent acetylation of Bruchpilot at synapses regulates the structure of individual presynaptic densities and neurotransmitter release efficiency. ..
- Colin J, Garibal J, Clavier A, Rincheval Arnold A, Gaumer S, Mignotte B, et al. The drosophila Bcl-2 family protein Debcl is targeted to the proteasome by the β-TrCP homologue slimb. Apoptosis. 2014;19:1444-56 pubmed publisher..These new results shed light on a new aspect of the regulation of apoptosis in fruitfly that identifies the first regulation of a Drosophila member of the Bcl-2 family. ..
- Bergmann A, Yang A, Srivastava M. Regulators of IAP function: coming to grips with the grim reaper. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2003;15:717-24 pubmed..The apoptosis-inducing genes grim, reaper and hid modulate these mechanisms, and determine the outcome. ..
- Danial N, Korsmeyer S. Cell death: critical control points. Cell. 2004;116:205-19 pubmed..The identification of critical control points in the cell death pathway has yielded fundamental insights for basic biology, as well as provided rational targets for new therapeutics. ..
- Martin S. Destabilizing influences in apoptosis: sowing the seeds of IAP destruction. Cell. 2002;109:793-6 pubmed..Recent developments suggest that ubiquitin-proteasome mediated destruction of the Drosophila IAP, DIAP1, is a key event during the initiation of programmed cell death in the fly. ..
- Yeh T, Bratton S. Caspase-dependent regulation of the ubiquitin-proteasome system through direct substrate targeting. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2013;110:14284-9 pubmed publisher..In summary, Grim is a caspase substrate whose cleavage promotes apoptosis by limiting, in a target-specific fashion, its ubiquitinylation and turnover by the proteasome. ..