Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mmp1
Description: Matrix metalloproteinase 1
Alias: CG4859, Dm1-MMP, Dmel\CG4859, MMP-1, MMP1, MMp1, Mmp 1, dMMP1, dm1-MMP, dmmp1, l(2)k04809, mmp1, matrix metalloproteinase 1, CG4859-PC, CG4859-PD, CG4859-PE, CG4859-PF, CG4859-PG, CG4859-PH, CG4859-PI, CG4859-PJ, CG4859-PK, CG4859-PL, Mmp1-PC, Mmp1-PD, Mmp1-PE, Mmp1-PF, Mmp1-PG, Mmp1-PH, Mmp1-PI, Mmp1-PJ, Mmp1-PK, Mmp1-PL, matrix metalloprotease, matrix metalloprotease 1, matrix metalloproteinase-1, matrix metalloproteinase1, matrix metalloprotinase 1, metalloproteinase
Species: fruit fly
- Vaccari T, Duchi S, Cortese K, Tacchetti C, Bilder D. The vacuolar ATPase is required for physiological as well as pathological activation of the Notch receptor. Development. 2010;137:1825-32 pubmed publisher..The results also suggest that the ionic properties of the endosomal lumen might regulate Notch cleavage, providing a rationale for physiological as well as pathological endocytic control of Notch activity. ..
- Bangi E, Pitsouli C, Rahme L, Cagan R, Apidianakis Y. Immune response to bacteria induces dissemination of Ras-activated Drosophila hindgut cells. EMBO Rep. 2012;13:569-76 pubmed publisher..Thus, Drosophila hindgut provides a valuable system for the study of intestinal malignancies. ..
- Uhlirova M, Bohmann D. JNK- and Fos-regulated Mmp1 expression cooperates with Ras to induce invasive tumors in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2006;25:5294-304 pubmed..This effect requires Fos-dependent transcriptional activation of a matrix metalloprotease gene mmp1 downstream of JNK...
- Miller C, Liu N, Page McCaw A, Broihier H. Drosophila MMP2 regulates the matrix molecule faulty attraction (Frac) to promote motor axon targeting in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2011;31:5335-47 pubmed publisher..Indeed, we present genetic evidence that Frac regulates a non-canonical LIM kinase 1-dependent bone morphogenetic protein signaling pathway in motoneurons necessary for axon pathfinding during embryogenesis. ..
- Zhang S, Dailey G, Kwan E, Glasheen B, Sroga G, Page McCaw A. An MMP liberates the Ninjurin A ectodomain to signal a loss of cell adhesion. Genes Dev. 2006;20:1899-910 pubmed publisher..Our previous work demonstrated that Mmp1 is required for growth of the tracheal system, and we suggested that the mutant phenotype resulted from aberrant ..
- Llano E, Pendas A, Aza Blanc P, Kornberg T, Lopez Otin C. Dm1-MMP, a matrix metalloproteinase from Drosophila with a potential role in extracellular matrix remodeling during neural development. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:35978-85 pubmedWe have cloned and characterized a cDNA encoding Dm1-MMP, the first matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) identified in Drosophila melanogaster...
- Kuo C, Jan L, Jan Y. Dendrite-specific remodeling of Drosophila sensory neurons requires matrix metalloproteases, ubiquitin-proteasome, and ecdysone signaling. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;102:15230-5 pubmed..These results demonstrate that, in response to environmental changes, certain neurons have cell-intrinsic abilities to completely lose their dendrites but keep their axons and subsequently regrow their dendritic arbors. ..
- Woodfield S, Graves H, Hernandez J, Bergmann A. De-regulation of JNK and JAK/STAT signaling in ESCRT-II mutant tissues cooperatively contributes to neoplastic tumorigenesis. PLoS ONE. 2013;8:e56021 pubmed publisher..This is the first rigorous study of tissues predominantly mutant for endocytic nTSGs and provides clear evidence for cooperation among de-regulated signaling pathways leading to tumorigenesis. ..
- Srivastava A, Pastor Pareja J, Igaki T, Pagliarini R, Xu T. Basement membrane remodeling is essential for Drosophila disc eversion and tumor invasion. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007;104:2721-6 pubmed..Furthermore, elements of the invasion machinery, including JNK-induced matrix metalloproteinase (MMP) expression, are shared by both disc eversion and tumor invasion processes...
- Miller C, Page McCaw A, Broihier H. Matrix metalloproteinases promote motor axon fasciculation in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2008;135:95-109 pubmed..The Drosophila genome contains only two MMP homologs, Mmp1 and Mmp2. We isolated Mmp1 in a misexpression screen to identify molecules required for motoneuron development...
- Rodahl L, Haglund K, Sem Jacobsen C, Wendler F, Vincent J, Lindmo K, et al. Disruption of Vps4 and JNK function in Drosophila causes tumour growth. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e4354 pubmed publisher..We conclude that dvps4 is a tumour suppressor in Drosophila and that JNK is central to the cell-autonomous phenotypes of ESCRT-deficient cells. ..
- Wei S, Xie Z, Filenova E, Brew K. Drosophila TIMP is a potent inhibitor of MMPs and TACE: similarities in structure and function to TIMP-3. Biochemistry. 2003;42:12200-7 pubmed..inhibitors that regulate the activity of matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs) and certain disintegrin and metalloproteinase (ADAM) family proteases in mammals...
- Vidal M, Salavaggione L, Ylagan L, Wilkins M, Watson M, Weilbaecher K, et al. A role for the epithelial microenvironment at tumor boundaries: evidence from Drosophila and human squamous cell carcinomas. Am J Pathol. 2010;176:3007-14 pubmed publisher..Here we show that the invasive properties of the boundary cells depend on up-regulation of Drosophila matrix metalloproteinase-1 as assessed by promoter activity, protein levels, in situ enzymatic activity, and tests of genetic ..
- Lee S, Park J, Kim Y, Chung H, Yoo M. Requirement of matrix metalloproteinase-1 for intestinal homeostasis in the adult Drosophila midgut. Exp Cell Res. 2012;318:670-81 pubmed publisher..we utilize the Drosophila midgut, which is an excellent model system for studying stem cell biology, to show that Mmp1 is involved in the regulation of intestinal stem cells (ISCs)...
- Glasheen B, Robbins R, Piette C, Beitel G, Page McCaw A. A matrix metalloproteinase mediates airway remodeling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2010;344:772-83 pubmed publisher..We find that for tubes to elongate, the extracellular protease Mmp1 is required for expansion of ECM between the taenidial ridges during each intermolt period...
- Singh J, Aaronson S, Mlodzik M. Drosophila Abelson kinase mediates cell invasion and proliferation through two distinct MAPK pathways. Oncogene. 2010;29:4033-45 pubmed publisher..Thus, targeting Src-Abl, using available dual inhibitors, could be of therapeutic importance in tumor cell metastasis. ..
- Bond N, Nelliot A, Bernardo M, Ayerh M, Gorski K, Hoshizaki D, et al. ßFTZ-F1 and Matrix metalloproteinase 2 are required for fat-body remodeling in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2011;360:286-96 pubmed publisher..hormone receptor ßFTZ-F1 is a key modulator of 20E hormonal induction of fat body remodeling and Matrix metalloproteinase 2 (MMP2) expression in the fat body...
- Beaucher M, Hersperger E, Page McCaw A, Shearn A. Metastatic ability of Drosophila tumors depends on MMP activity. Dev Biol. 2007;303:625-34 pubmed..b>MMP1 accumulation is dramatically increased in lgl larval imaginal discs compared to both wild type and brat mutants...
- Yasunaga K, Kanamori T, Morikawa R, Suzuki E, Emoto K. Dendrite reshaping of adult Drosophila sensory neurons requires matrix metalloproteinase-mediated modification of the basement membranes. Dev Cell. 2010;18:621-32 pubmed publisher..We also find that the dendrite reshaping is completely blocked in mutants for the matrix metalloproteinase (Mmp) 2...
- Glasheen B, Kabra A, Page McCaw A. Distinct functions for the catalytic and hemopexin domains of a Drosophila matrix metalloproteinase. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2009;106:2659-64 pubmed publisher..We compare the phenotypes of Mmp1 null alleles with alleles that have specific hemopexin domain lesions, and we also examine phenotypes of dominant-..
- Menut L, Vaccari T, Dionne H, Hill J, Wu G, Bilder D. A mosaic genetic screen for Drosophila neoplastic tumor suppressor genes based on defective pupation. Genetics. 2007;177:1667-77 pubmed..The isolation of additional loci that affect hyperplastic as well as neoplastic growth indicates the utility of this screening strategy for studying epithelial growth control. ..
- Pallavi S, Ho D, Hicks C, Miele L, Artavanis Tsakonas S. Notch and Mef2 synergize to promote proliferation and metastasis through JNK signal activation in Drosophila. EMBO J. 2012;31:2895-907 pubmed publisher..activation of Jun N-terminal kinase signalling, which in turn triggers the expression of the invasive marker MMP1. Expression studies in human breast tumour samples demonstrate correlation between Notch and Mef2 paralogues and ..
- Meyer S, Schmidt I, Klämbt C. Glia ECM interactions are required to shape the Drosophila nervous system. Mech Dev. 2014;133:105-16 pubmed publisher..Loss of function mutants were generated and double mutant analyses demonstrate a genetic interaction between nolo and Oatp30B which prevented the generation of maternal zygotic mutant larvae. ..
- Graham A, Kiss D, Andrulis E. Core exosome-independent roles for Rrp6 in cell cycle progression. Mol Biol Cell. 2009;20:2242-53 pubmed publisher..Collectively, these data support the idea that dRrp6 has a core exosome-independent role in cell cycle and mitotic progression. ..
- Zhang Y, Arnosti D. Conserved catalytic and C-terminal regulatory domains of the C-terminal binding protein corepressor fine-tune the transcriptional response in development. Mol Cell Biol. 2011;31:375-84 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that the structural and enzymatic features of CtBP, previously thought to be dispensable for overall transcriptional control, are critical for modulating this protein's activity in diverse developmental settings. ..
- McClure K, Sustar A, Schubiger G. Three genes control the timing, the site and the size of blastema formation in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2008;319:68-77 pubmed publisher..We identified three genes, regeneration (rgn), augmenter of liver regeneration (alr) and Matrix metalloproteinase-1 (Mmp1) expressed specifically in blastema cells during disc regeneration...
- Chountala M, Vakaloglou K, Zervas C. Parvin overexpression uncovers tissue-specific genetic pathways and disrupts F-actin to induce apoptosis in the developing epithelia in Drosophila. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e47355 pubmed publisher..Thus, distinct genetic interactions of Parvin occur in different cell types and second site modifier screens are required to uncover such genetic circuits. ..
- Aggarwal P, Gera J, Ghosh S, Mandal L, Mandal S. Noncanonical Decapentaplegic Signaling Activates Matrix Metalloproteinase 1 To Restrict Hedgehog Activity and Limit Ectopic Eye Differentiation in Drosophila. Genetics. 2017;207:197-213 pubmed publisher..By both loss-of-function and gain-of-function genetic analyses, we demonstrate that Matrix metalloproteinase 1 (Mmp1) plays an important role in regulating the extent of ectopic ommatidial differentiation...
- Zang Y, Wan M, Liu M, Ke H, Ma S, Liu L, et al. Plasma membrane overgrowth causes fibrotic collagen accumulation and immune activation in Drosophila adipocytes. elife. 2015;4:e07187 pubmed publisher..Our work indicates that traffic imbalances and PM topology may contribute to fibrosis. It also places fibrotic deposits both downstream and upstream of immune signaling, consistent with the chronic character of fibrotic diseases. ..
- Hauling T, Krautz R, Márkus R, Volkenhoff A, Kucerova L, Theopold U. A Drosophila immune response against Ras-induced overgrowth. Biol Open. 2014;3:250-60 pubmed publisher..Our hope is that this will lead to a better understanding of the earliest stage of innate immune responses against tumors with implications for mammalian immunity. ..
- Rudrapatna V, Bangi E, Cagan R. Caspase signalling in the absence of apoptosis drives Jnk-dependent invasion. EMBO Rep. 2013;14:172-7 pubmed publisher..Affected cells express the matrix metalloprotinase Mmp1 and invade by activating Jnk...
- Curtin K, Wyman R, Meinertzhagen I. Basigin/EMMPRIN/CD147 mediates neuron-glia interactions in the optic lamina of Drosophila. Glia. 2007;55:1542-53 pubmed..metalloproteases (MMPs) that remodel the extracellular matrix, and is thus also known as Extracellular Matrix MetalloPRotease Inducer (EMMPRIN). Using Drosophila we previously identified novel roles for basigin...
- Feng Y, Martin P. Imaging innate immune responses at tumour initiation: new insights from fish and flies. Nat Rev Cancer. 2015;15:556-62 pubmed publisher..We describe these newly observed early interactions between immune cells and cancer cells and speculate on their potential clinical implications. ..
- Ma X, Yang L, Yang Y, Li M, Li W, Xue L. dUev1a modulates TNF-JNK mediated tumor progression and cell death in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;380:211-21 pubmed publisher..Together, our data indicate that dUev1a encodes an essential component of the evolutionary conserved TNF-JNK signaling pathway that modulates tumor progression and cell death in metazoan. ..
- Raza Q, Vanderploeg J, Jacobs J. Matrix Metalloproteinases are required for membrane motility and lumenogenesis during Drosophila heart development. PLoS ONE. 2017;12:e0171905 pubmed publisher..Inhibition of Mmp activity through ectopic expression of Tissue Inhibitor of Metalloproteinase in the ectoderm blocks lumen formation...
- Medioni C, Noselli S. Dynamics of the basement membrane in invasive epithelial clusters in Drosophila. Development. 2005;132:3069-77 pubmed..The dynamics of the BM represents a marker of migratory BC, revealing a novel developmentally regulated behaviour of BM coupled to epithelial cell invasiveness. ..
- Herranz H, Weng R, Cohen S. Crosstalk between epithelial and mesenchymal tissues in tumorigenesis and imaginal disc development. Curr Biol. 2014;24:1476-84 pubmed publisher..Tumorigenesis in this model co-opts a regulatory mechanism that is normally involved in controlling growth of the imaginal disc during development. ..
- Jia Q, Liu Y, Liu H, Li S. Mmp1 and Mmp2 cooperatively induce Drosophila fat body cell dissociation with distinct roles. Sci Rep. 2014;4:7535 pubmed publisher..Via a fat body-specific RNAi screen in this study, we found that two matrix metalloproteinases (MMPs), Mmp1 and Mmp2, are both required for fat body cell dissociation...
- Grifoni D, Sollazzo M, Fontana E, Froldi F, Pession A. Multiple strategies of oxygen supply in Drosophila malignancies identify tracheogenesis as a novel cancer hallmark. Sci Rep. 2015;5:9061 pubmed publisher..In summary, our findings identify tracheogenesis as a novel cancer hallmark in Drosophila, further expanding the power of the fly model in cancer research. ..
- Wang Q, Uhlirova M, Bohmann D. Spatial restriction of FGF signaling by a matrix metalloprotease controls branching morphogenesis. Dev Cell. 2010;18:157-64 pubmed publisher..This article describes the characterization of the Drosophila matrix metalloprotease Mmp2 as an extracellular inhibitor of FGF morphogenetic function...
- Coates D, Siviter R, Isaac R. Exploring the Caenorhabditis elegans and Drosophila melanogaster genomes to understand neuropeptide and peptidase function. Biochem Soc Trans. 2000;28:464-9 pubmed
- Guha A, Lin L, Kornberg T. Regulation of Drosophila matrix metalloprotease Mmp2 is essential for wing imaginal disc:trachea association and air sac tubulogenesis. Dev Biol. 2009;335:317-26 pubmed publisher..These findings demonstrate a critical role for Mmp2 in tubulogenesis post-induction, and implicate Mmp2 in regulating dynamic and essential changes to the extracellular matrix. ..
- Khoo P, Allan K, Willoughby L, Brumby A, Richardson H. In Drosophila, RhoGEF2 cooperates with activated Ras in tumorigenesis through a pathway involving Rho1-Rok-Myosin-II and JNK signalling. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:661-78 pubmed publisher..Overall, our analysis highlights the need for further analysis of the Rok-Myosin-II pathway in cooperation with Ras in human cancers. ..
- Zhu F, Zhang X. The Wnt signaling pathway is involved in the regulation of phagocytosis of virus in Drosophila. Sci Rep. 2013;3:2069 pubmed publisher..Further data showed that the Wnt signaling pathway played an essential role in phagocytosis. Therefore, our study contributed novel insight into the molecular mechanism of phagocytosis in animals. ..
- Kadener S, Rodriguez J, Abruzzi K, Khodor Y, Sugino K, Marr M, et al. Genome-wide identification of targets of the drosha-pasha/DGCR8 complex. RNA. 2009;15:537-45 pubmed publisher..e., excess Drosha cleaves pasha/DGCR8 primary transcripts and leads to a reduction in pasha/DGCR8 mRNA levels and Pasha/DGCR8 synthesis. ..
- Depetris Chauvin A, FernÃ¡ndez Gamba A, Gorostiza E, Herrero A, CastaÃ±o E, Ceriani M. Mmp1 processing of the PDF neuropeptide regulates circadian structural plasticity of pacemaker neurons. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004700 pubmed publisher..In this work we provide evidence that PDF along with matrix metalloproteinases (Mmp1 and 2) are key in the control of circadian structural remodeling...
- Srivastava A. A novel link between FMR gene and the JNK pathway provides clues to possible role in malignant pleural mesothelioma. FEBS Open Bio. 2015;5:705-11 pubmed publisher..I provide evidence which suggests that FMR may contribute to tumorigenesis by up-regulating a matrix metalloprotease (MMP) and by degrading the basement membrane (BM), both important for tumor metastasis...
- Meyer F, Aberle H. At the next stop sign turn right: the metalloprotease Tolloid-related 1 controls defasciculation of motor axons in Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:4035-44 pubmed..Double mutant larvae of tlr1 and sidestep show an additive phenotype and lack almost all neuromuscular junctions on ventral muscles, suggesting that Tlr1 functions together with Sidestep in the defasciculation process. ..
- Ma X, Chen Y, Xu W, Wu N, Li M, Cao Y, et al. Impaired Hippo signaling promotes Rho1-JNK-dependent growth. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:1065-70 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results have identified a novel molecular link between the Hippo and JNK pathways and implicated the essential role of the JNK pathway in Hippo signaling-related tumorigenesis. ..
- Siekhaus D, Haesemeyer M, Moffitt O, Lehmann R. RhoL controls invasion and Rap1 localization during immune cell transmigration in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2010;12:605-10 pubmed publisher..Our work establishes the utility of Drosophila for identifying novel components of immune cell transmigration and for understanding the in vivo interplay of immune cells with the barriers they penetrate. ..
- Johansson A, Stenberg P, Bernhardsson C, Larsson J. Painting of fourth and chromosome-wide regulation of the 4th chromosome in Drosophila melanogaster. EMBO J. 2007;26:2307-16 pubmed..We propose a balancing mechanism involving POF and HP1 that provides a feedback system for fine-tuning expression status of genes on the 4th chromosome. ..
- Ma X, Li W, Yu H, Yang Y, Li M, Xue L, et al. Bendless modulates JNK-mediated cell death and migration in Drosophila. Cell Death Differ. 2014;21:407-15 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that Ben constitutes an essential component of the evolutionarily conserved TNF-JNK pathway that modulates cell death and invasion, tumor progression, stress response and lifespan in metazoans. ..
- Herranz H, Hong X, Cohen S. Mutual repression by bantam miRNA and Capicua links the EGFR/MAPK and Hippo pathways in growth control. Curr Biol. 2012;22:651-7 pubmed publisher..Feedback regulation by bantam on Capicua provides a means to link signal propagation by the EGFR pathway to activity of the Hippo pathway and may play an important role in integration of these two pathways in growth control. ..
- McFarlane S. Metalloproteases: carving out a role in axon guidance. Neuron. 2003;37:559-62 pubmed..Culture studies suggest that this requirement for metalloprotease activity results from their ability to cleave ligands, or their receptors, so as to activate or inhibit specific axon extension or guidance signaling pathways. ..
- Ma X, Chen Y, Zhang S, Xu W, Shao Y, Yang Y, et al. Rho1-Wnd signaling regulates loss-of-cell polarity-induced cell invasion in Drosophila. Oncogene. 2016;35:846-55 pubmed publisher..a complex with the GTPase Rho1, is both necessary and sufficient for Rho1-induced JNK-dependent cell invasion, MMP1 activation and epithelial-mesenchymal transition...
- Dear M, Dani N, Parkinson W, Zhou S, Broadie K. Two classes of matrix metalloproteinases reciprocally regulate synaptogenesis. Development. 2016;143:75-87 pubmed publisher..junction (NMJ) model synapse in the reductionist Drosophila system, which contains just two Mmps (secreted Mmp1 and GPI-anchored Mmp2) and one secreted Timp...
- Windler S, Bilder D. Endocytic internalization routes required for delta/notch signaling. Curr Biol. 2010;20:538-43 pubmed publisher..The absolute requirement for dynamin-dependent endocytosis but not endosomal entry or Rab11 activity supports "pulling force" rather than "recycling" models for Delta activation. ..
- Wang X, Page McCaw A. A matrix metalloproteinase mediates long-distance attenuation of stem cell proliferation. J Cell Biol. 2014;206:923-36 pubmed publisher..This system could allow for spatial control of Wg signaling to targets at different distances from the source. ..
- Milan M, Clemente Ruiz M, Dekanty A, Muzzopappa M. Aneuploidy and tumorigenesis in Drosophila. Semin Cell Dev Biol. 2014;28:110-5 pubmed publisher..Here we discuss the role of aneuploidy in tumorigenesis in light of the contribution of Drosophila epithelial cancer models and propose a stress-induced tumor-promoting role of aneuploidy. ..
- Fernandez B, Jezowska B, Janody F. Drosophila actin-Capping Protein limits JNK activation by the Src proto-oncogene. Oncogene. 2014;33:2027-39 pubmed publisher..We propose that cytoskeletal changes triggered by misregulation of F-actin modulators may have a significant role in Src-mediated malignant phenotypes during the early stages of cellular transformation. ..
- Andersen D, Colombani J, Palmerini V, Chakrabandhu K, Boone E, RÃ¶thlisberger M, et al. The Drosophila TNF receptor Grindelwald couples loss of cell polarity and neoplastic growth. Nature. 2015;522:482-6 pubmed publisher..Grnd also promotes the invasiveness of Ras(V12)/scrib(-/-) tumours through Egr-dependent Matrix metalloprotease-1 (Mmp1) expression...
- Shaukat Z, Liu D, Gregory S. Sterile inflammation in Drosophila. Mediators Inflamm. 2015;2015:369286 pubmed publisher..The signalling consequences of inflammation, such as the activation of JNK, and the potential for modifying this response are also discussed. ..
- Casas TintÃ³ S, Lolo F, Moreno E. Active JNK-dependent secretion of Drosophila Tyrosyl-tRNA synthetase by loser cells recruits haemocytes during cell competition. Nat Commun. 2015;6:10022 pubmed publisher..Altogether, this mechanism guarantees effective removal of unfit cells from the growing tissue. ..
- Petzoldt A, Gleixner E, Fumagalli A, Vaccari T, Simons M. Elevated expression of the V-ATPase C subunit triggers JNK-dependent cell invasion and overgrowth in a Drosophila epithelium. Dis Model Mech. 2013;6:689-700 pubmed publisher..In summary, our in vivo-findings demonstrate that increased levels of V-ATPase C subunit induce a Eiger/JNK-dependent cell transformation within an epithelial organ that recapitulates early carcinoma stages. ..