Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mira
Alias: CG12249, Dmel\CG12249, MIR, MIRA, Mir, Mira, Miranda, mir, miranda, CG12249-PA, CG12249-PB, CG12249-PC, mira-PA, mira-PB, mira-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Schuldt A, Adams J, Davidson C, Micklem D, Haseloff J, St Johnston D, et al. Miranda mediates asymmetric protein and RNA localization in the developing nervous system. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1847-57 pubmed..During these divisions, the cell fate determinant Prospero is asymmetrically partitioned to the GMC by Miranda protein, which tethers it to the basal cortex of the dividing neuroblast...
- Cai Y, Chia W, Yang X. A family of snail-related zinc finger proteins regulates two distinct and parallel mechanisms that mediate Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. EMBO J. 2001;20:1704-14 pubmed
- Bello B, Reichert H, Hirth F. The brain tumor gene negatively regulates neural progenitor cell proliferation in the larval central brain of Drosophila. Development. 2006;133:2639-48 pubmed
- Wang H, Ng K, Qian H, Siderovski D, Chia W, Yu F. Ric-8 controls Drosophila neural progenitor asymmetric division by regulating heterotrimeric G proteins. Nat Cell Biol. 2005;7:1091-8 pubmed..In addition, Gbetagamma acts to restrict Galphai (and GoLoco proteins) to the apical cortex, where Galphai (and Pins) can mediate asymmetric spindle geometry. ..
- Ouyang Y, Petritsch C, Wen H, Jan L, Jan Y, Lu B. Dronc caspase exerts a non-apoptotic function to restrain phospho-Numb-induced ectopic neuroblast formation in Drosophila. Development. 2011;138:2185-96 pubmed publisher..Reduction of Dronc activity facilitates ENF induced by phospho-Numb. Our findings uncover a molecular mechanism that regulates Numb activity and suggest a novel role for Dronc caspase in regulating neural stem cell homeostasis. ..
- Ceron J, Tejedor F, Moya F. A primary cell culture of Drosophila postembryonic larval neuroblasts to study cell cycle and asymmetric division. Eur J Cell Biol. 2006;85:567-75 pubmed..experiments allowed us to conclude that localization of asymmetric cell division markers such as Inscuteable, Miranda, Prospero and Numb is cell autonomous...
- Chabu C, Doe C. Twins/PP2A regulates aPKC to control neuroblast cell polarity and self-renewal. Dev Biol. 2009;330:399-405 pubmed publisher..Cortical aPKC excludes cortical localization of Miranda and its cargo proteins Prospero and Brain tumor, resulting in their partitioning into the differentiating, ..
- Wirtz Peitz F, Nishimura T, Knoblich J. Linking cell cycle to asymmetric division: Aurora-A phosphorylates the Par complex to regulate Numb localization. Cell. 2008;135:161-73 pubmed publisher..Our data reveal a molecular mechanism for the asymmetric localization of Numb and show how cell polarity can be coupled to cell-cycle progression. ..
- Schaefer M, Shevchenko A, Knoblich J. A protein complex containing Inscuteable and the Galpha-binding protein Pins orients asymmetric cell divisions in Drosophila. Curr Biol. 2000;10:353-62 pubmed..showed defects in the orientation of their mitotic spindle and the basal asymmetric localisation of Numb and Miranda during metaphase...
- Chai P, Liu Z, Chia W, Cai Y. Hedgehog signaling acts with the temporal cascade to promote neuroblast cell cycle exit. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001494 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, hh is likely a target of Castor. Hence, Hh signaling provides a link between the temporal series and the asymmetric division machinery in scheduling the end of neurogenesis. ..
- Giansanti M, Gatti M, Bonaccorsi S. The role of centrosomes and astral microtubules during asymmetric division of Drosophila neuroblasts. Development. 2001;128:1137-45 pubmed..During neuroblast division, several cell fate determinants, such as Miranda, Prospero and Numb, are preferentially segregated into the GMC, ensuring its correct developmental fate...
- Basto R, Lau J, Vinogradova T, Gardiol A, Woods C, Khodjakov A, et al. Flies without centrioles. Cell. 2006;125:1375-86 pubmed..Thus, centrioles are essential for the formation of centrosomes, cilia, and flagella, but, remarkably, they are not essential for most aspects of Drosophila development. ..
- Peng C, Manning L, Albertson R, Doe C. The tumour-suppressor genes lgl and dlg regulate basal protein targeting in Drosophila neuroblasts. Nature. 2000;408:596-600 pubmed..We conclude that Dlg and Lgl promote, and myosin II inhibits, actomyosin-dependent basal protein targeting in neuroblasts. ..
- Boone J, Doe C. Identification of Drosophila type II neuroblast lineages containing transit amplifying ganglion mother cells. Dev Neurobiol. 2008;68:1185-95 pubmed publisher..Type II lineages allow more neurons to be produced faster than Type I lineages, which may be advantageous in a rapidly developing organism like Drosophila. ..
- Shen C, Jan L, Jan Y. Miranda is required for the asymmetric localization of Prospero during mitosis in Drosophila. Cell. 1997;90:449-58 pubmed..We have isolated a novel gene, miranda, based on the ability of its gene product to interact with the Prospero asymmetric localization domain...
- Betschinger J, Knoblich J. Dare to be different: asymmetric cell division in Drosophila, C. elegans and vertebrates. Curr Biol. 2004;14:R674-85 pubmed..Here, we outline the steps and factors that are involved in this process in Drosophila and C. elegans and discuss their potential conservation in vertebrates. ..
- Johnston C, Hirono K, Prehoda K, Doe C. Identification of an Aurora-A/PinsLINKER/Dlg spindle orientation pathway using induced cell polarity in S2 cells. Cell. 2009;138:1150-63 pubmed publisher..This "induced cortical polarity" assay is suitable for rapid identification of the proteins, domains, and amino acids regulating spindle orientation or cell polarity. ..
- Siegrist S, Doe C. Extrinsic cues orient the cell division axis in Drosophila embryonic neuroblasts. Development. 2006;133:529-36 pubmed..This ensures the proper coordination between neuroblast cell polarity and CNS tissue polarity. ..
- Caussinus E, Gonzalez C. Induction of tumor growth by altered stem-cell asymmetric division in Drosophila melanogaster. Nat Genet. 2005;37:1125-9 pubmed..We found that larval brain tissue carrying neuroblasts with mutations in raps (also called pins), mira, numb or pros grew to more than 100 times their initial size, invading other tissues and killing the hosts in 2 ..
- Bowman S, Neumüller R, Novatchkova M, Du Q, Knoblich J. The Drosophila NuMA Homolog Mud regulates spindle orientation in asymmetric cell division. Dev Cell. 2006;10:731-42 pubmed..Our data suggest a model in which asymmetrically localized Pins-G alphai complexes regulate spindle orientation by directly binding to Mud. ..
- Shen C, Knoblich J, Chan Y, Jiang M, Jan L, Jan Y. Miranda as a multidomain adapter linking apically localized Inscuteable and basally localized Staufen and Prospero during asymmetric cell division in Drosophila. Genes Dev. 1998;12:1837-46 pubmed..The localization of Prospero requires the function of inscuteable and miranda, whereas prospero RNA localization requires inscuteable and staufen function...
- Januschke J, Gonzalez C. The interphase microtubule aster is a determinant of asymmetric division orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. J Cell Biol. 2010;188:693-706 pubmed publisher..We have also found that the span of such memory is limited to the last mitosis. Furthermore, the orientation of the NB axis of polarity can be reset to any angle with respect to the surrounding tissue and is, therefore, cell autonomous...
- Wodarz A, Gonzalez C. Connecting cancer to the asymmetric division of stem cells. Cell. 2006;124:1121-3 pubmed..This work suggests a mechanism by which loss of polarity in stem cells may lead to tumorigenesis. ..
- Chia W, Yang X. Asymmetric division of Drosophila neural progenitors. Curr Opin Genet Dev. 2002;12:459-64 pubmed..Recent findings also suggest possible mechanisms by which the processes of cell-cycle progression, neuronal lineage development and asymmetric divisions may be integrated. ..
- Petritsch C, Tavosanis G, Turck C, Jan L, Jan Y. The Drosophila myosin VI Jaguar is required for basal protein targeting and correct spindle orientation in mitotic neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2003;4:273-81 pubmed..spindle orientation and basal localization of the cell fate determinants and their adapter proteins such as Miranda. Here we report that Miranda localization requires the unconventional myosin VI Jaguar (Jar)...
- Castellanos E, Dominguez P, Gonzalez C. Centrosome dysfunction in Drosophila neural stem cells causes tumors that are not due to genome instability. Curr Biol. 2008;18:1209-14 pubmed publisher..We propose that such tumors might be caused by impaired asymmetric division of neural stem cells . These results show that centrosome loss, far from being innocuous, is a potentially dangerous condition in flies...
- Albertson R, Chabu C, Sheehan A, Doe C. Scribble protein domain mapping reveals a multistep localization mechanism and domains necessary for establishing cortical polarity. J Cell Sci. 2004;117:6061-70 pubmed..In addition, we show that the LRR domain is sufficient to target Miranda protein to the neuroblast cortex, but that LRR+PDZ will exclude Miranda from the cortex...
- Izumi Y, Ohta N, Itoh Furuya A, Fuse N, Matsuzaki F. Differential functions of G protein and Baz-aPKC signaling pathways in Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric division. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:729-38 pubmed..apical components, Bazooka-atypical PKC-Par6-Inscuteable, still remain polarized and responsible for asymmetric Miranda localization, suggesting their dominant role in localizing cell-fate determinants...
- Rolls M, Albertson R, Shih H, Lee C, Doe C. Drosophila aPKC regulates cell polarity and cell proliferation in neuroblasts and epithelia. J Cell Biol. 2003;163:1089-98 pubmed..Mutant neuroblasts lack apical localization of Par6 and Lgl, and fail to exclude Miranda from the apical cortex; yet, they show normal apical crescents of Baz/Par3, Pins, Inscuteable, and Discs large ..
- Wang H, Ouyang Y, Somers W, Chia W, Lu B. Polo inhibits progenitor self-renewal and regulates Numb asymmetry by phosphorylating Pon. Nature. 2007;449:96-100 pubmed..Our results reveal a biochemical link between the cell cycle and the asymmetric protein localization machinery, and indicate that Polo can inhibit progenitor self-renewal by regulating the localization and function of Numb. ..
- Ikeshima Kataoka H, Skeath J, Nabeshima Y, Doe C, Matsuzaki F. Miranda directs Prospero to a daughter cell during Drosophila asymmetric divisions. Nature. 1997;390:625-9 pubmed..Here we report the identification of a gene, miranda, which encodes a new protein that co-localizes with Prospero in mitotic neuroblasts, tethers Prospero to the ..
- Hawkins N, Garriga G. Asymmetric cell division: from A to Z. Genes Dev. 1998;12:3625-38 pubmed
- Cabernard C, Prehoda K, Doe C. A spindle-independent cleavage furrow positioning pathway. Nature. 2010;467:91-4 pubmed publisher..This spindle-independent cleavage furrow mechanism may be relevant to other highly polarized mitotic cells, such as mammalian neural progenitors. ..
- Jan Y, Jan L. Asymmetric cell division. Nature. 1998;392:775-8 pubmed
- Krahn M, Klopfenstein D, Fischer N, Wodarz A. Membrane targeting of Bazooka/PAR-3 is mediated by direct binding to phosphoinositide lipids. Curr Biol. 2010;20:636-42 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal a mechanism for the coupling of plasma membrane polarity and cortical polarity. ..
- Zhu S, Wildonger J, Barshow S, Younger S, Huang Y, Lee T. The bHLH repressor Deadpan regulates the self-renewal and specification of Drosophila larval neural stem cells independently of Notch. PLoS ONE. 2012;7:e46724 pubmed publisher..Our data suggest that Dpn plays important roles in maintaining NB self-renewal and specification of type II NBs in larval brains and that Dpn and Notch function independently in regulating type II NB proliferation and specification. ..
- Wang C, Li S, Januschke J, Rossi F, Izumi Y, Garcia Alvarez G, et al. An ana2/ctp/mud complex regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2011;21:520-33 pubmed publisher..Our findings reveal that the centrosomal proteins Ana2 and Ctp regulate Mud function to orient the mitotic spindle during NB asymmetric division. ..
- Giansanti M, Bucciarelli E, Bonaccorsi S, Gatti M. Drosophila SPD-2 is an essential centriole component required for PCM recruitment and astral-microtubule nucleation. Curr Biol. 2008;18:303-9 pubmed publisher..These mutations also disrupt proper Miranda localization in dividing NBs, as previously observed in mutants lacking astral MTs [8-10]...
- Hong Y, Stronach B, Perrimon N, Jan L, Jan Y. Drosophila Stardust interacts with Crumbs to control polarity of epithelia but not neuroblasts. Nature. 2001;414:634-8 pubmed..However, for the subset of ectodermal cells that delaminate and form neuroblasts, their polarity requires the function of Bazooka, but not of Stardust or Crumbs. ..
- Schaefer M, Petronczki M, Dorner D, Forte M, Knoblich J. Heterotrimeric G proteins direct two modes of asymmetric cell division in the Drosophila nervous system. Cell. 2001;107:183-94 pubmed..Thus, asymmetric activation of heterotrimeric G proteins by a receptor-independent mechanism may orient asymmetric cell divisions in different cell types. ..
- Betschinger J, Mechtler K, Knoblich J. The Par complex directs asymmetric cell division by phosphorylating the cytoskeletal protein Lgl. Nature. 2003;422:326-30 pubmed..apically and directs localization of the cell fate determinants Prospero and Numb and the adaptor proteins Miranda and Pon to the basal cell cortex, to ensure their segregation into the basal daughter cell...
- Fuerstenberg S, Peng C, Alvarez Ortiz P, Hor T, Doe C. Identification of Miranda protein domains regulating asymmetric cortical localization, cargo binding, and cortical release. Mol Cell Neurosci. 1998;12:325-39 pubmed..Establishing neuroblast/GMC differences involves the asymmetric localization of proteins (Inscuteable, Miranda, Prospero, and Staufen) and RNA (prospero)...
- Wang H, Somers G, Bashirullah A, Heberlein U, Yu F, Chia W. Aurora-A acts as a tumor suppressor and regulates self-renewal of Drosophila neuroblasts. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3453-63 pubmed..We have identified a novel mechanism for controlling the balance between self-renewal and neuronal differentiation during the asymmetric division of Drosophila larval NBs. ..
- Bowman S, Rolland V, Betschinger J, Kinsey K, Emery G, Knoblich J. The tumor suppressors Brat and Numb regulate transit-amplifying neuroblast lineages in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2008;14:535-46 pubmed publisher..Our data describe a transit-amplifying lineage in the Drosophila nervous system and suggest that different vulnerabilities in intermediate cell types can affect the outcome of tumor suppressor loss in stem cell lineages. ..
- Betschinger J, Mechtler K, Knoblich J. Asymmetric segregation of the tumor suppressor brat regulates self-renewal in Drosophila neural stem cells. Cell. 2006;124:1241-53 pubmed..Like Prospero, Brat binds and cosegregates with the adaptor protein Miranda. In larval neuroblasts, both Brat and Prospero are required to inhibit self-renewal in one of the two daughter ..
- Cabernard C, Doe C. Apical/basal spindle orientation is required for neuroblast homeostasis and neuronal differentiation in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2009;17:134-41 pubmed publisher..We conclude that the ratio of apical/basal determinants specifies neuroblast/GMC identity, and that apical/basal spindle orientation is required for neuroblast homeostasis and neuronal differentiation. ..
- Kurusu M, Maruyama Y, Adachi Y, Okabe M, Suzuki E, Furukubo Tokunaga K. A conserved nuclear receptor, Tailless, is required for efficient proliferation and prolonged maintenance of mushroom body progenitors in the Drosophila brain. Dev Biol. 2009;326:224-36 pubmed publisher..These results as a whole uncover a distinct regulatory mechanism of self-renewal and differentiation of the MB progenitors that is different from the mechanisms found in other progenitors. ..
- Atwood S, Chabu C, Penkert R, Doe C, Prehoda K. Cdc42 acts downstream of Bazooka to regulate neuroblast polarity through Par-6 aPKC. J Cell Sci. 2007;120:3200-6 pubmed..We conclude that Cdc42 regulates aPKC localization and activity downstream of Bazooka, thereby directing neuroblast cell polarity and asymmetric cell division. ..
- Mollinari C, Lange B, Gonzalez C. Miranda, a protein involved in neuroblast asymmetric division, is associated with embryonic centrosomes of Drosophila melanogaster. Biol Cell. 2002;94:1-13 pubmedb>Miranda, a highly coiled-coil protein, has been shown to be one of the key components necessary for the differential segregation of fate-determining factors during neurogenesis in Drosophila embryos...
- Petronczki M, Knoblich J. DmPAR-6 directs epithelial polarity and asymmetric cell division of neuroblasts in Drosophila. Nat Cell Biol. 2001;3:43-9 pubmed..in DmPAR-6 mutants, asymmetric cell divisions in neuroblasts are misorientated, and the proteins Numb and Miranda do not segregate correctly into the basal daughter cell...
- Morante J, Erclik T, Desplan C. Cell migration in Drosophila optic lobe neurons is controlled by eyeless/Pax6. Development. 2011;138:687-93 pubmed publisher..These defects in cell migration among medulla cortex cells can be rescued by removing DE-Cadherin. Thus, eyeless links neurogenesis and neuronal migration. ..
- Tio M, Udolph G, Yang X, Chia W. cdc2 links the Drosophila cell cycle and asymmetric division machineries. Nature. 2001;409:1063-7 pubmed..Our findings link cdc2 with asymmetric divisions, and explain why the asymmetric localization of molecules like Inscuteable show cell-cycle dependence. ..
- Akong K, McCartney B, Peifer M. Drosophila APC2 and APC1 have overlapping roles in the larval brain despite their distinct intracellular localizations. Dev Biol. 2002;250:71-90 pubmed..Our experiments suggest that this does not result from misregulation of Wg signaling, and thus may involve the cytoskeletal or adhesive roles of APC proteins. ..
- Yu F, Morin X, Cai Y, Yang X, Chia W. Analysis of partner of inscuteable, a novel player of Drosophila asymmetric divisions, reveals two distinct steps in inscuteable apical localization. Cell. 2000;100:399-409 pubmed
- Lee C, Wilkinson B, Siegrist S, Wharton R, Doe C. Brat is a Miranda cargo protein that promotes neuronal differentiation and inhibits neuroblast self-renewal. Dev Cell. 2006;10:441-9 pubmed..report that the Brain tumor (Brat) translation repressor is partitioned into GMCs via direct interaction with the Miranda scaffolding protein...
- Egger B, Boone J, Stevens N, Brand A, Doe C. Regulation of spindle orientation and neural stem cell fate in the Drosophila optic lobe. Neural Dev. 2007;2:1 pubmed
- Parmentier M, Woods D, Greig S, Phan P, Radovic A, Bryant P, et al. Rapsynoid/partner of inscuteable controls asymmetric division of larval neuroblasts in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 2000;20:RC84 pubmed..Our data show that Raps is a novel protein involved in the control of asymmetric divisions of neuroblasts. ..
- Chang K, Garcia Alvarez G, Somers G, Sousa Nunes R, Rossi F, Lee Y, et al. Interplay between the transcription factor Zif and aPKC regulates neuroblast polarity and self-renewal. Dev Cell. 2010;19:778-85 pubmed publisher..Thus, reciprocal repression between Zif and aPKC act as a critical regulatory mechanism for establishing cell polarity and controlling neuroblast self-renewal. ..
- Matsuzaki F, Ohshiro T, Ikeshima Kataoka H, Izumi H. miranda localizes staufen and prospero asymmetrically in mitotic neuroblasts and epithelial cells in early Drosophila embryogenesis. Development. 1998;125:4089-98 pubmed..b>miranda is known to localize prospero protein to the basal cell cortex of neuroblasts while the staufen RNA-binding ..
- Lu B, Rothenberg M, Jan L, Jan Y. Partner of Numb colocalizes with Numb during mitosis and directs Numb asymmetric localization in Drosophila neural and muscle progenitors. Cell. 1998;95:225-35 pubmed..We propose that PON is one component of a multimolecular machinery that localizes Numb by responding to polarity cues conserved in neural precursors and epithelial cells. ..
- Morais de Sá E, Mirouse V, St Johnston D. aPKC phosphorylation of Bazooka defines the apical/lateral border in Drosophila epithelial cells. Cell. 2010;141:509-23 pubmed publisher..Although Baz acts as an aPKC targeting and specificity factor in nonepithelial cells, our results reveal that it performs a complementary function in positioning the adherens junction in epithelia...
- Chabu C, Doe C. Dap160/intersectin binds and activates aPKC to regulate cell polarity and cell cycle progression. Development. 2008;135:2739-46 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Dap160 positively regulates aPKC activity and localization to promote neuroblast cell polarity and cell cycle progression. ..
- Cenci C, Gould A. Drosophila Grainyhead specifies late programmes of neural proliferation by regulating the mitotic activity and Hox-dependent apoptosis of neuroblasts. Development. 2005;132:3835-45 pubmed..This study shows how a factor specific to late-stage neural progenitors can regulate the time at which neural proliferation stops, and identifies mechanisms linking it to the Hox axial patterning system. ..
- Krahn M, Egger Adam D, Wodarz A. PP2A antagonizes phosphorylation of Bazooka by PAR-1 to control apical-basal polarity in dividing embryonic neuroblasts. Dev Cell. 2009;16:901-8 pubmed publisher..Overexpression of PAR-1 or Baz, or mutation of 14-3-3 proteins that bind phosphorylated Baz, causes essentially the same phenotype, indicating that the balance of PAR-1 and PP2A effects on Baz phosphorylation determines NB polarity. ..
- Sousa Nunes R, Chia W, Somers W. Protein phosphatase 4 mediates localization of the Miranda complex during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. Genes Dev. 2009;23:359-72 pubmed publisher..Phosphatase 4 (PP4) regulatory subunit PP4R3/Falafel (Flfl) as a key mediator specific for the localization of Miranda (Mira) and associated cell fate determinants during both interphase and mitosis...
- Berger C, Kannan R, Myneni S, Renner S, Shashidhara L, Technau G. Cell cycle independent role of Cyclin E during neural cell fate specification in Drosophila is mediated by its regulation of Prospero function. Dev Biol. 2010;337:415-24 pubmed publisher..e. asymmetric cell division of NB6-4t. Furthermore our data imply that CycE is required for the maintenance of stem cell identity of most other neuroblasts. ..
- Xiao Q, Komori H, Lee C. klumpfuss distinguishes stem cells from progenitor cells during asymmetric neuroblast division. Development. 2012;139:2670-80 pubmed publisher..These results led us to propose that multiple mechanisms converge to exert precise control of klu and distinguish a progenitor cell from its sibling stem cell during asymmetric neuroblast division. ..
- Carney T, Miller M, Robinson K, Bayraktar O, Osterhout J, Doe C. Functional genomics identifies neural stem cell sub-type expression profiles and genes regulating neuroblast homeostasis. Dev Biol. 2012;361:137-46 pubmed publisher..These genes are excellent candidates for regulating neural progenitor self-renewal in Drosophila and mammals. ..
- Bergstralh D, Haack T, St Johnston D. Epithelial polarity and spindle orientation: intersecting pathways. Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2013;368:20130291 pubmed publisher..In this review, we examine several factors implicated in both processes, namely Canoe, Bazooka, aPKC and Discs large, and consider the implications of this work on how the spindle is oriented during epithelial cell divisions. ..
- Albertson R, Doe C. Dlg, Scrib and Lgl regulate neuroblast cell size and mitotic spindle asymmetry. Nat Cell Biol. 2003;5:166-70 pubmed..We conclude that Dlg/Scrib/Lgl are important in regulating cortical polarity, cell size asymmetry and mitotic spindle asymmetry in Drosophila neuroblasts. ..
- von Stein W, Ramrath A, Grimm A, Müller Borg M, Wodarz A. Direct association of Bazooka/PAR-3 with the lipid phosphatase PTEN reveals a link between the PAR/aPKC complex and phosphoinositide signaling. Development. 2005;132:1675-86 pubmed..Pten mutant embryos also show severe defects during cellularization. Our data provide evidence for a link between the PAR/aPKC complex, the actin cytoskeleton and PI3-kinase signaling mediated by PTEN. ..
- Izumi Y, Ohta N, Hisata K, Raabe T, Matsuzaki F. Drosophila Pins-binding protein Mud regulates spindle-polarity coupling and centrosome organization. Nat Cell Biol. 2006;8:586-93 pubmed..We propose that Drosophila Mud, vertebrate NuMA and Caenorhabditis elegans Lin-5 (refs 5, 6) have conserved roles in the mechanism by which G-proteins regulate the mitotic spindle. ..
- Hayden M, Akong K, Peifer M. Novel roles for APC family members and Wingless/Wnt signaling during Drosophila brain development. Dev Biol. 2007;305:358-76 pubmed..Finally, we propose a model suggesting that Wg signaling regulates fine scale cell fates along the anterior-posterior axis, in part by creating an adhesion gradient and consider possible alternate explanations for our observations. ..
- Bello B, Izergina N, Caussinus E, Reichert H. Amplification of neural stem cell proliferation by intermediate progenitor cells in Drosophila brain development. Neural Dev. 2008;3:5 pubmed publisher..This suggests that key aspects of neural stem cell biology might be conserved in brain development of insects and mammals. ..
- Doe C, Bowerman B. Asymmetric cell division: fly neuroblast meets worm zygote. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 2001;13:68-75 pubmed..Mammalian epithelia also use this complex to regulate apical/basal polarity. Recent results have allowed us to compare the mechanisms regulating asymmetric cell division in Drosophila neuroblasts and the C. elegans zygote. ..
- Lee C, Andersen R, Cabernard C, Manning L, Tran K, Lanskey M, et al. Drosophila Aurora-A kinase inhibits neuroblast self-renewal by regulating aPKC/Numb cortical polarity and spindle orientation. Genes Dev. 2006;20:3464-74 pubmed..We conclude that Aurora-A and Numb are novel inhibitors of neuroblast self-renewal and that spindle orientation regulates neuroblast self-renewal. ..
- Ohshiro T, Yagami T, Zhang C, Matsuzaki F. Role of cortical tumour-suppressor proteins in asymmetric division of Drosophila neuroblast. Nature. 2000;408:593-6 pubmed..Thus, Lgl and Dlg act in a common process that differentially mediates cortical protein targeting in mitotic neuroblasts, and that creates intrinsic differences between daughter cells. ..
- Yu F, Wang H, Qian H, Kaushik R, Bownes M, Yang X, et al. Locomotion defects, together with Pins, regulates heterotrimeric G-protein signaling during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. Genes Dev. 2005;19:1341-53 pubmed..Thus, Loco can potentially regulate heterotrimeric G-protein signaling via two distinct modes of action during Drosophila neuroblast asymmetric divisions. ..
- Weng M, Golden K, Lee C. dFezf/Earmuff maintains the restricted developmental potential of intermediate neural progenitors in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2010;18:126-35 pubmed publisher..We conclude that Erm dependence functionally distinguishes intermediate neural progenitors from neuroblasts in the Drosophila larval brain, balancing neurogenesis with stem cell maintenance. ..
- Fuse N, Hisata K, Katzen A, Matsuzaki F. Heterotrimeric G proteins regulate daughter cell size asymmetry in Drosophila neuroblast divisions. Curr Biol. 2003;13:947-54 pubmed..Furthermore, the multiple equal cleavages of G beta mutant neuroblasts accompany neural defects; this finding suggests indispensable roles of eccentric division in assuring the stem cell properties of neuroblasts. ..
- Matsuzaki F. Asymmetric division of Drosophila neural stem cells: a basis for neural diversity. Curr Opin Neurobiol. 2000;10:38-44 pubmed..Our understanding now extends to the molecular nature of the cell polarity that underlies asymmetric divisions. This polarity is conserved among neural stem cells, epithelial cells and fertilized eggs. ..
- Atwood S, Prehoda K. aPKC phosphorylates Miranda to polarize fate determinants during neuroblast asymmetric cell division. Curr Biol. 2009;19:723-9 pubmed publisher..apically restricted aPKC is required for segregation of neuronal differentiation factors such as Numb and Miranda to the basal cortical domain...