Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mia
Description: meiosis I arrest
Alias: CG10390, Dmel\CG10390, Mia, TAF, TAF60-2, TAF6L, TAF[[II]], TAF[[II]]60-2, TFIID, Taf60-2, Taf6L, dTAF6L, dTAF[[II]]60, dTAF[[II]]60-2, dmTAF6b, ms(3)570, meiosis I arrest, CG10390-PA, CG10390-PB, CG10390-PC, TAF6-like, TBP-associated factor 6-like, TBP-associated factor 60kD-2, mia-PA, mia-PB, mia-PC
Species: fruit fly
- Moon S, Cho B, Min S, Lee D, Chung Y. The THO complex is required for nucleolar integrity in Drosophila spermatocytes. Development. 2011;138:3835-45 pubmed publisher..Taken together, our study suggests that the Drosophila THO complex is necessary for proper spermatogenesis by contribution to the establishment or maintenance of nucleolar integrity rather than by nuclear mRNA export in spermatocytes...
- Hochheimer A, Tjian R. Diversified transcription initiation complexes expand promoter selectivity and tissue-specific gene expression. Genes Dev. 2003;17:1309-20 pubmed
- Jiang J, Benson E, Bausek N, Doggett K, White Cooper H. Tombola, a tesmin/TSO1-family protein, regulates transcriptional activation in the Drosophila male germline and physically interacts with always early. Development. 2007;134:1549-59 pubmed..tomb and aly might be components of a complex paralogous to the Drosophila dREAM/Myb-MuvB and C. elegans DRM transcriptional regulatory complexes. ..
- Matsushita T, Fujii Taira I, Tanaka Y, Homma K, Natori S. Male-specific IDGF, a novel gene encoding a membrane-bound extracellular signaling molecule expressed exclusively in testis of Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 2000;275:36934-41 pubmed..Analysis using four meiotic arrest mutants, aly, can, mia, and sa suggested that MSI is involved in spermiogenesis, the final differentiation step of spermatogenesis...
- Xu S, Hafer N, Agunwamba B, Schedl P. The CPEB protein Orb2 has multiple functions during spermatogenesis in Drosophila melanogaster. PLoS Genet. 2012;8:e1003079 pubmed publisher..Additionally, analysis of a partial loss of function orb2 mutant suggests that the orb2 differentiation phenotypes are independent of the earlier arrest in meiosis. ..
- Tora L. A unified nomenclature for TATA box binding protein (TBP)-associated factors (TAFs) involved in RNA polymerase II transcription. Genes Dev. 2002;16:673-5 pubmed
- Cann M, Chung E, Levin L. A new family of adenylyl cyclase genes in the male germline of Drosophila melanogaster. Dev Genes Evol. 2000;210:200-6 pubmed..Evidence is also provided for positive selection at the locus on chromosome 2 which suggests this gene family is actively evolving and may play a novel role in spermatogenesis. ..
- White Cooper H, Leroy D, MacQueen A, Fuller M. Transcription of meiotic cell cycle and terminal differentiation genes depends on a conserved chromatin associated protein, whose nuclear localisation is regulated. Development. 2000;127:5463-73 pubmed..We favour a model where aly may regulate cell cycle progression and terminal differentiation during male gametogenesis by regulating chromatin conformation in primary spermatocytes. ..
- Goodrich J, Tjian R. Unexpected roles for core promoter recognition factors in cell-type-specific transcription and gene regulation. Nat Rev Genet. 2010;11:549-58 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, new roles for components of these complexes have been identified beyond development; for example, in mediating interactions with chromatin and in maintaining active gene expression across cell divisions. ..
- Aoyagi N, Wassarman D. Developmental and transcriptional consequences of mutations in Drosophila TAF(II)60. Mol Cell Biol. 2001;21:6808-19 pubmedIn vitro, the TAF(II)60 component of the TFIID complex contributes to RNA polymerase II transcription initiation by serving as a coactivator that interacts with specific activator proteins and possibly as a promoter selectivity factor ..