Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mew
Description: multiple edematous wings
Alias: CG1771, CT5254, Dmel\CG1771, ItgaPS1, PS1, PS1alpha, PSalpha1, aPS1, alpha-PS1, alpha1Int, alphaPS1, alpha[[PS1]], l(1)G0429, l(1)G0443, multiple edematous wings, CG1771-PA, CG1771-PB, CG1771-PC, CG1771-PD, CG1771-PE, CG1771-PF, PS I alpha, PS1 integrin, PS1-Integrin, Position-specific-1 antigen, Position-specific-antigen-1alpha, alpha integrin, alpha-PS1-integrin, alpha1 integrin, alphaPS integrin, alphaPS1, alphaPS1 integrin, alpha[[PS1]] subunit of integrin, integrin PSII alpha subunit, integrin alphaPS1, integrin alphaPS1 subunit, mew-PA, mew-PB, mew-PC, mew-PD, mew-PE, mew-PF, multiple edematous wing
Species: fruit fly
- Martin Bermudo M, Alvarez Garcia I, Brown N. Migration of the Drosophila primordial midgut cells requires coordination of diverse PS integrin functions. Development. 1999;126:5161-9 pubmed..and PS3 (alphaPS3betaPS), since loss of just one alpha subunit in the midgut results in either a modest delay (alphaPS1) or no effect (alphaPS3)...
- Fessler L, Nelson R, Fessler J. Drosophila extracellular matrix. Methods Enzymol. 1994;245:271-94 pubmed
- MacMullin A, Jacobs J. Slit coordinates cardiac morphogenesis in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2006;293:154-64 pubmed..This indicates that Slit participates in adhesion or adhesion signaling during heart development. ..
- Bökel C, Brown N. Integrins in development: moving on, responding to, and sticking to the extracellular matrix. Dev Cell. 2002;3:311-21 pubmed..Integrins also participate in signaling events that govern tissue differentiation and organogenesis. Finally, adhesion by integrin-mediated junctions allows tissues to withstand mechanical load and is essential for tissue integrity. ..
- Delon I, Brown N. The integrin adhesion complex changes its composition and function during morphogenesis of an epithelium. J Cell Sci. 2009;122:4363-74 pubmed publisher..Molecular variation of the integrin complex is thus a key component of developmentally programmed morphogenesis. ..
- Stevens A, Jacobs J. Integrins regulate responsiveness to slit repellent signals. J Neurosci. 2002;22:4448-55 pubmed..Longitudinal tract axons in Drosophila embryos doubly heterozygous for slit and an integrin gene, encoding alphaPS1, alphaPS2, alphaPS3, or betaPS1, take ectopic trajectories across the midline of the CNS...
- Conder R, Yu H, Zahedi B, Harden N. The serine/threonine kinase dPak is required for polarized assembly of F-actin bundles and apical-basal polarity in the Drosophila follicular epithelium. Dev Biol. 2007;305:470-82 pubmed..We propose that dPak mediates communication between the basement membrane and intracellular proteins required for polarization of the basal F-actin and for apical-basal polarity. ..
- Tanentzapf G, Devenport D, Godt D, Brown N. Integrin-dependent anchoring of a stem-cell niche. Nat Cell Biol. 2007;9:1413-8 pubmed..On the basis of our data, we propose that integrins are required for the attachment of the hub cells to the ECM, which is essential for maintaining the stem-cell niche. ..
- Subramanian A, Wayburn B, Bunch T, Volk T. Thrombospondin-mediated adhesion is essential for the formation of the myotendinous junction in Drosophila. Development. 2007;134:1269-78 pubmed
- Gotwals P, Fessler L, Wehrli M, Hynes R. Drosophila PS1 integrin is a laminin receptor and differs in ligand specificity from PS2. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1994;91:11447-51 pubmed..We report that PS1 integrin is a laminin receptor and that PS1 and PS2 integrins promote cell spreading on two different Drosophila ..
- Martin Bermudo M, Brown N. Uncoupling integrin adhesion and signaling: the betaPS cytoplasmic domain is sufficient to regulate gene expression in the Drosophila embryo. Genes Dev. 1999;13:729-39 pubmed..Therefore, oligomerization of the 47-amino-acid betaPS intracellular domain is sufficient to initiate a signaling pathway that regulates gene expression in the developing embryo. ..
- Goode S, Melnick M, Chou T, Perrimon N. The neurogenic genes egghead and brainiac define a novel signaling pathway essential for epithelial morphogenesis during Drosophila oogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3863-79 pubmed
- Schock F, Perrimon N. Retraction of the Drosophila germ band requires cell-matrix interaction. Genes Dev. 2003;17:597-602 pubmed..We further implicate a role for this spreading in the process of germ-band retraction...
- Fernández Miñán A, Martin Bermudo M, González Reyes A. Integrin signaling regulates spindle orientation in Drosophila to preserve the follicular-epithelium monolayer. Curr Biol. 2007;17:683-8 pubmed..The above data show that integrins are necessary for preserving the simple organization of a specialized epithelium and link integrin-mediated signaling to the correct orientation of the mitotic spindle in this epithelial cell type. ..
- Roote C, Zusman S. Functions for PS integrins in tissue adhesion, migration, and shape changes during early embryonic development in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 1995;169:322-36 pubmed..to examine living embryos lacking both maternal and zygotic expression of the genes that encode the alpha PS1, alpha PS2, and beta PS integrin subunits. We demonstrate roles for these molecules as early as gastrulation...
- Brower D, Bunch T, Mukai L, Adamson T, Wehrli M, Lam S, et al. Nonequivalent requirements for PS1 and PS2 integrin at cell attachments in Drosophila: genetic analysis of the alpha PS1 integrin subunit. Development. 1995;121:1311-20 pubmedWe report on the generation and phenotype of mutant alleles of multiple edematous wings (mew), the gene encoding the alpha PS1 subunit of the PS1 integrin of Drosophila...
- Huang Z, Yazdani U, Thompson Peer K, Kolodkin A, Terman J. Crk-associated substrate (Cas) signaling protein functions with integrins to specify axon guidance during development. Development. 2007;134:2337-47 pubmed..These results strongly support Cas proteins working together with integrins in vivo to direct axon guidance events. ..
- Hughes A. Evolution of the integrin alpha and beta protein families. J Mol Evol. 2001;52:63-72 pubmed..These two families include, respectively, the alpha PS1 and alpha PS2 integrins of Drosophila melanogaster, and each family has duplicated repeatedly in vertebrates but ..
- Hoang B, Chiba A. Genetic analysis on the role of integrin during axon guidance in Drosophila. J Neurosci. 1998;18:7847-55 pubmed..We show that the Drosophila nervous system expresses low levels of positron-specific (PS) integrin subunits alphaPS1, alphaPS2, and betaPS during embryonic axogenesis...
- Brown N. Cell-cell adhesion via the ECM: integrin genetics in fly and worm. Matrix Biol. 2000;19:191-201 pubmed
- Brown N, Gregory S, Rickoll W, Fessler L, Prout M, White R, et al. Talin is essential for integrin function in Drosophila. Dev Cell. 2002;3:569-79 pubmed..These results indicate that talin is essential for integrin function and acts by stably linking clusters of ECM-linked integrins to the cytoskeleton. ..
- Brabant M, Fristrom D, Bunch T, Brower D. Distinct spatial and temporal functions for PS integrins during Drosophila wing morphogenesis. Development. 1996;122:3307-17 pubmedAt the onset of pupariation in the Drosophila wing, the PS1 and PS2 integrins are expressed preferentially on the dorsal and ventral wing epithelia, respectively...
- Fujimoto J, Sawamoto K, Okabe M, Takagi Y, Tezuka T, Yoshikawa S, et al. Cloning and characterization of Dfak56, a homolog of focal adhesion kinase, in Drosophila melanogaster. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:29196-201 pubmed..We conclude that the Dfak56 tyrosine kinase is involved in integrin-mediated cell adhesion signaling and thus is a functional homolog of vertebrate FAK. ..
- Bradley P, Myat M, Comeaux C, Andrew D. Posterior migration of the salivary gland requires an intact visceral mesoderm and integrin function. Dev Biol. 2003;257:249-62 pubmed..These findings suggest that salivary tube dimensions may be an intrinsic property of salivary gland cells. ..
- O Keefe D, Thomas J. Drosophila wing development in the absence of dorsal identity. Development. 2001;128:703-10 pubmed..When Fng and alphaPS1, a dorsally expressed integrin subunit, are co-expressed, a nearly normal-looking wing is generated...
- Estrada B, Gisselbrecht S, Michelson A. The transmembrane protein Perdido interacts with Grip and integrins to mediate myotube projection and attachment in the Drosophila embryo. Development. 2007;134:4469-78 pubmed..assay to analyze genetic interactions, perd was shown to interact not only with Grip but also with multiple edematous wings, which encodes one subunit of the alpha PS1-beta PS integrin expressed in tendon cells...
- Myat M, Rashmi R, Manna D, Xu N, Patel U, Galiano M, et al. Drosophila KASH-domain protein Klarsicht regulates microtubule stability and integrin receptor localization during collective cell migration. Dev Biol. 2015;407:103-14 pubmed publisher..We also show that Klar binds tubulin directly in vitro. Our studies provide the first evidence that a KASH-domain protein regulates the MT cytoskeleton and integrin localization during collective cell migration. ..
- Tsai P, Kao H, Grabbe C, Lee Y, Ghose A, Lai T, et al. Fak56 functions downstream of integrin alphaPS3betanu and suppresses MAPK activation in neuromuscular junction growth. Neural Dev. 2008;3:26 pubmed publisher..Unlike its conventional role in activating MAPK/ERK, Fak56 suppresses ERK activation in this process. These results suggest that Fak56 mediates a specific neuronal signaling pathway distinct from that in other cellular processes. ..
- Bai J, Binari R, Ni J, Vijayakanthan M, Li H, Perrimon N. RNA interference screening in Drosophila primary cells for genes involved in muscle assembly and maintenance. Development. 2008;135:1439-49 pubmed publisher..Finally, we discuss how Drosophila primary cells can be manipulated to develop cell-based assays to model human diseases for RNAi and small-molecule screens. ..
- Longley R, Ready D. Integrins and the development of three-dimensional structure in the Drosophila compound eye. Dev Biol. 1995;171:415-33 pubmed..Parallel reconstructions of retinal development in integrin mutants show that several eye phenotypes trace their origin to the structural failure of the cone cell plate. ..
- Kiger J, Natzle J, Kimbrell D, Paddy M, Kleinhesselink K, Green M. Tissue remodeling during maturation of the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2007;301:178-91 pubmed..These steps are dissected using the batone and Timp genes and ectopic expression of alphaPS integrin, inhibitors of Armadillo/beta-catenin nuclear activity and baculovirus caspase inhibitor p35...
- Beumer K, Matthies H, Bradshaw A, Broadie K. Integrins regulate DLG/FAS2 via a CaM kinase II-dependent pathway to mediate synapse elaboration and stabilization during postembryonic development. Development. 2002;129:3381-91 pubmed..Fasciclin 2 (FAS2) and the position specific (PS) integrin receptors, including betaPS and its alpha partners (alphaPS1, alphaPS2, alphaPS3/alphaVolado), are all known to regulate the postembryonic development of synaptic terminal ..
- Negreiros E, Fontenele M, Câmara A, Araujo H. alphaPS1betaPS integrin receptors regulate the differential distribution of Sog fragments in polarized epithelia. Genesis. 2010;48:31-43 pubmed publisher..As reported for the wing, this effect is specific to mew, which codes for alphaPS1 integrin. Sog is subject to cleavage by metalloproteases, generating fragments with different properties...
- Ribeiro C, Petit V, Affolter M. Signaling systems, guided cell migration, and organogenesis: insights from genetic studies in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2003;260:1-8 pubmed
- Kolesnikov T, Beckendorf S. NETRIN and SLIT guide salivary gland migration. Dev Biol. 2005;284:102-11 pubmed..We propose that analogous to axon guidance, a balance between chemo-attractants and chemo-repellents is required for the proper migratory path of the developing salivary glands. ..
- O Reilly A, Lee H, Simon M. Integrins control the positioning and proliferation of follicle stem cells in the Drosophila ovary. J Cell Biol. 2008;182:801-15 pubmed publisher..Importantly, LanA-integrin function is not required to maintain other ovarian stem cell populations, demonstrating that distinct pathways regulate niche-stem cell communication within the same organ. ..
- Aradhya R, Zmojdzian M, Da Ponte J, Jagla K. Muscle niche-driven Insulin-Notch-Myc cascade reactivates dormant Adult Muscle Precursors in Drosophila. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..Altogether, we report that Drosophila AMPs display homing behavior to muscle niche and that the niche-driven Insulin-Notch-dMyc cascade plays a key role in setting the activated state of AMPs. ..
- O Keefe D, Prober D, Moyle P, Rickoll W, Edgar B. Egfr/Ras signaling regulates DE-cadherin/Shotgun localization to control vein morphogenesis in the Drosophila wing. Dev Biol. 2007;311:25-39 pubmed..Ras, therefore, regulates both the transcriptional responses necessary for vein cell identity, and the cell adhesive changes that determine vein and intervein cell morphology. ..
- Jannuzi A, Bunch T, West R, Brower D. Identification of integrin beta subunit mutations that alter heterodimer function in situ. Mol Biol Cell. 2004;15:3829-40 pubmed..Finally, comparisons with the sequence of human beta8 suggest that evolution has targeted the "mys(b58)" residue as a means of affecting integrin activity. ..
- Ayyub C, Paranjape J. Genetic interactions provide evidence for the role of integrins in specifying normal olfactory behavior in Drosophila melanogaster. J Neurogenet. 2002;16:165-74 pubmed..observed between sws and inflated, a gene encoding the alpha2-subunit of integrin, as well as mys and multiple edematous wing (mew), a gene coding for alpha1 subunit of integrin...
- Yarnitzky T, Volk T. Laminin is required for heart, somatic muscles, and gut development in the Drosophila embryo. Dev Biol. 1995;169:609-18 pubmed..These studies indicate that the primary function of laminin is to provide structural support for the various cell types, thereby enabling their proper organization into the various organs. ..
- Rosin D, Shilo B. Branch-specific migration cues in the Drosophila tracheal system. Bioessays. 2002;24:110-3 pubmed..In particular, the paper by Boube et al(1) demonstrates a role for PS integrins in promoting migration of a specific tracheal branch. ..
- Xie X, Auld V. Integrins are necessary for the development and maintenance of the glial layers in the Drosophila peripheral nerve. Development. 2011;138:3813-22 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that integrins are employed in different glial layers to mediate the development and maintenance of the protective glial sheath in Drosophila peripheral nerves. ..
- Lin G, Zhang X, Ren J, Pang Z, Wang C, Xu N, et al. Integrin signaling is required for maintenance and proliferation of intestinal stem cells in Drosophila. Dev Biol. 2013;377:177-87 pubmed publisher..Specifically, the ?-integrin subunits including ?PS1 encoded by mew and ?PS3 encoded by scb, and the ?-integrin subunit encoded by mys are richly expressed in ISCs and are required ..
- Delanoue R, Zider A, Cossard R, Dutriaux A, Silber J. Interaction between apterous and early expression of vestigial in formation of the dorso-ventral compartments in the Drosophila wing disc. Genes Cells. 2002;7:1255-66 pubmed..regulates AP activity by inducing dLMO and thus indirectly regulating ap target genes such as fringe and the PSalpha1 and PSalpha2 integrins. Normal cell proliferation is necessary for ap expression at the level of the D/V boundary...
- Zhang L, Zhang Y, Hagen K. A mucin-type O-glycosyltransferase modulates cell adhesion during Drosophila development. J Biol Chem. 2008;283:34076-86 pubmed publisher..This study provides the first evidence for the role of O-glycosylation in a developmentally regulated, integrin-mediated, cell adhesion event and reveals a novel player in wing blade formation during Drosophila development. ..
- Yang T, Terman J. 14-3-3? couples protein kinase A to semaphorin signaling and silences plexin RasGAP-mediated axonal repulsion. Neuron. 2012;74:108-21 pubmed publisher..Our results indicate that these interactions switch repulsion to adhesion and identify a point of convergence for multiple guidance molecules. ..
- Peters N, Berg C. Dynamin-mediated endocytosis is required for tube closure, cell intercalation, and biased apical expansion during epithelial tubulogenesis in the Drosophila ovary. Dev Biol. 2016;409:39-54 pubmed publisher..Thus, our studies identify novel morphogenetic roles (i.e., tube closure and biased apical expansion), and expand upon established roles (i.e., cell intercalation and adhesion remodeling), for Dynamin in tubulogenesis. ..
- Kohsaka H, Takasu E, Nose A. In vivo induction of postsynaptic molecular assembly by the cell adhesion molecule Fasciclin2. J Cell Biol. 2007;179:1289-300 pubmed..We propose that Fas2 mediates trans-synaptic adhesion, which contributes to postsynaptic molecular assembly at the onset of synaptogenesis. ..
- Dinkins M, Fratto V, LeMosy E. Integrin alpha chains exhibit distinct temporal and spatial localization patterns in epithelial cells of the Drosophila ovary. Dev Dyn. 2008;237:3927-39 pubmed publisher..Alpha chains, however, exhibit both spatial and temporal expression differences. alphaPS1 and alphaPS2 integrins are detected during early and mid-oogenesis on apical, lateral, and basal membranes with ..
- Roote C, Zusman S. Alternatively spliced forms of the Drosophila alphaPS2 subunit of integrin are sufficient for viability and can replace the function of the alphaPS1 subunit of integrin in the retina. Development. 1996;122:1985-94 pubmed..We have also examined the ability of alphaPS2 and alphaPS1 to maintain photoreceptor organization in the Drosophila retina...
- Tikhmyanova N, Tulin A, Roegiers F, Golemis E. Dcas supports cell polarization and cell-cell adhesion complexes in development. PLoS ONE. 2010;5:e12369 pubmed publisher..is an important modulator of the severity of the developmental phenotypes of mutations affecting integrins (If and mew) and their downstream effectors Fak56D or Src42A...
- Fernandes J, Celniker S, Vijayraghavan K. Development of the indirect flight muscle attachment sites in Drosophila: role of the PS integrins and the stripe gene. Dev Biol. 1996;176:166-84 pubmed..homologs of vertebrate integrins, the Position-Specific (PS) antigens, is known to differentially mark epidermal (PS1alpha) and muscle (PS2alpha) components of the developing IFM attachment sites...
- Soba P, Han C, Zheng Y, Perea D, Miguel Aliaga I, Jan L, et al. The Ret receptor regulates sensory neuron dendrite growth and integrin mediated adhesion. elife. 2015;4: pubmed publisher..We propose novel functions for Ret as a regulator in dendrite patterning and adhesion distinct from its role in axon guidance. ..
- Meltzer S, Yadav S, Lee J, Soba P, Younger S, Jin P, et al. Epidermis-Derived Semaphorin Promotes Dendrite Self-Avoidance by Regulating Dendrite-Substrate Adhesion in Drosophila Sensory Neurons. Neuron. 2016;89:741-55 pubmed publisher..These results reveal a novel role for semaphorins in dendrite patterning and illustrate how epidermal-derived cues regulate neural circuit assembly. ..
- You J, Zhang Y, Li Z, Lou Z, Jin L, Lin X. Drosophila perlecan regulates intestinal stem cell activity via cell-matrix attachment. Stem Cell Reports. 2014;2:761-9 pubmed publisher..We propose that Pcan secreted by ISCs confers niche properties to the adjacent ECM that is required for ISC maintenance of stem cell identity, activity, and anchorage to the niche. ..
- Gotwals P, Paine Saunders S, Stark K, Hynes R. Drosophila integrins and their ligands. Curr Opin Cell Biol. 1994;6:734-9 pubmed
- Goulas S, Conder R, Knoblich J. The Par complex and integrins direct asymmetric cell division in adult intestinal stem cells. Cell Stem Cell. 2012;11:529-40 pubmed publisher..Our data indicate that mechanisms for intrinsically asymmetric cell division can be adapted to allow for the flexibility in lineage decisions that is required in adult stem cells. ..
- Jattani R, Patel U, Kerman B, Myat M. Deficiency screen identifies a novel role for beta 2 tubulin in salivary gland and myoblast migration in the Drosophila embryo. Dev Dyn. 2009;238:853-63 pubmed publisher..integrin expression in the surrounding mesoderm and that beta2t genetically interacts with genes encoding integrin alphaPS1 and alphaPS2 subunits...
- Tomoyasu Y, Arakane Y, Kramer K, Denell R. Repeated co-options of exoskeleton formation during wing-to-elytron evolution in beetles. Curr Biol. 2009;19:2057-65 pubmed publisher..Our findings suggest that elytral evolution has been achieved by co-opting a beneficial trait several times while conserving the main framework of wing patterning genes. ..
- Baker S, Lorenzen J, Miller S, Bunch T, Jannuzi A, Ginsberg M, et al. Genetic interaction between integrins and moleskin, a gene encoding a Drosophila homolog of importin-7. Genetics. 2002;162:285-96 pubmedThe Drosophila PS1 and PS2 integrins are required to maintain the connection between the dorsal and ventral wing epithelia...
- Solnica Krezel L, Eaton S. Embryo morphogenesis: getting down to cells and molecules. Development. 2003;130:4229-33 pubmed
- Sawala A, Scarcia M, Sutcliffe C, Wilcockson S, Ashe H. Peak BMP Responses in the Drosophila Embryo Are Dependent on the Activation of Integrin Signaling. Cell Rep. 2015;12:1584-93 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we show that an Î±-integrin subunit is a BMP target gene, identifying positive feedback between integrin signaling and BMP pathway activity that may contribute to robust cell fate decisions. ..
- Burnette J, Miyamoto Sato E, Schaub M, Conklin J, Lopez A. Subdivision of large introns in Drosophila by recursive splicing at nonexonic elements. Genetics. 2005;170:661-74 pubmed..We discuss currently known and potential roles for recursive splicing. ..
- Lo S. Focal adhesions: what's new inside. Dev Biol. 2006;294:280-91 pubmed..Recent studies using genetic approaches in invertebrate and vertebrate systems have begun to reveal the structure and function of these complexes in vivo. ..
- Egoz Matia N, Nachman A, Halachmi N, Toder M, Klein Y, Salzberg A. Spatial regulation of cell adhesion in the Drosophila wing is mediated by Delilah, a potent activator of ?PS integrin expression. Dev Biol. 2011;351:99-109 pubmed publisher..The effect of Dei on ?PS expression is not restricted to the wing, suggesting that Dei functions as a general genetic switch, which is turned on wherever a sticky cell-identity is determined and integrin-based adhesion is required. ..
- Li X, Graner M, Williams E, Roote C, Bunch T, Zusman S. Requirements for the cytoplasmic domain of the alphaPS1, alphaPS2 and betaPS integrin subunits during Drosophila development. Development. 1998;125:701-11 pubmed..In this study we examine the functional significance of the cytoplasmic domains of the alphaPS1, alphaPS2 and betaPS subunits of the Drosophila Position Specific (PS) integrin family by analyzing the ..
- Nonaka S, Nagaosa K, Mori T, Shiratsuchi A, Nakanishi Y. Integrin ?PS3/??-mediated phagocytosis of apoptotic cells and bacteria in Drosophila. J Biol Chem. 2013;288:10374-80 pubmed publisher..These results collectively indicated that integrin ?PS3/?? serves as a receptor in the phagocytosis of apoptotic cells and bacteria by Drosophila phagocytes. ..
- Lewellyn L, Cetera M, Horne Badovinac S. Misshapen decreases integrin levels to promote epithelial motility and planar polarity in Drosophila. J Cell Biol. 2013;200:721-9 pubmed publisher..These data provide mechanistic insight into Misshapen's conserved role in cell migration and suggest that follicle cell planar polarity may be an emergent property of individual cell migratory behaviors within the epithelium. ..
- Chanana B, Graf R, Koledachkina T, Pflanz R, Vorbrüggen G. AlphaPS2 integrin-mediated muscle attachment in Drosophila requires the ECM protein Thrombospondin. Mech Dev. 2007;124:463-75 pubmed..Genetic interaction studies indicate that Tsp specifically interacts with the alphaPS2 integrin and that this interaction is needed to withstand the forces of muscle contractions at the tendon cells. ..