Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: Mekk1
Alias: CG7717, D-MEKK1, D-Mekk1, DmMEKK1, Dmel\CG7717, MEKK, MEKK1, MEKK4, Mekk1/4, dMEKK, dMEKK1, dMEKK4, dMekk1, mekk1, mekk1a, mekk1b, Mekk1, CG7717-PB, CG7717-PD, Mekk1-PB, Mekk1-PD
Species: fruit fly
- Lee K, Kim S, Kim E, Ha E, You H, Kim B, et al. Bacterial-derived uracil as a modulator of mucosal immunity and gut-microbe homeostasis in Drosophila. Cell. 2013;153:797-811 pubmed publisher..These results reveal that bacteria with distinct abilities to activate uracil-induced gut inflammation, in terms of intensity and duration, act as critical factors that determine homeostasis or pathogenesis in gut-microbe interactions. ..
- Ha E, Lee K, Seo Y, Kim S, Lim J, Oh B, et al. Coordination of multiple dual oxidase-regulatory pathways in responses to commensal and infectious microbes in drosophila gut. Nat Immunol. 2009;10:949-57 pubmed publisher..Thus, the coordinated regulation of DUOX enables the host to achieve gut-microbe homeostasis by efficiently combating infection while tolerating commensal microbes. ..
- El Chamy L, Matt N, Ntwasa M, Reichhart J. The multilayered innate immune defense of the gut. Biomed J. 2015;38:276-84 pubmed publisher..Accordingly, the Drosophila gut innate immune response is tightly regulated to maintain the endogenous microbiota, while preventing infections by pathogenic microorganisms. ..
- Shimizu H, Shimoda M, Yamaguchi T, Seong K, Okamura T, Ishii S. Drosophila ATF-2 regulates sleep and locomotor activity in pacemaker neurons. Mol Cell Biol. 2008;28:6278-89 pubmed publisher..Thus, dATF-2 is activated by the locomotor while it increases sleep, suggesting a role for dATF-2 as a regulator to connect sleep with locomotion. ..
- Neisch A, Speck O, Stronach B, Fehon R. Rho1 regulates apoptosis via activation of the JNK signaling pathway at the plasma membrane. J Cell Biol. 2010;189:311-23 pubmed publisher..Together, these results suggest that Rho1 functions at the cell cortex to regulate JNK activity and implicate Rho1 and Moe in epithelial cell survival. ..
- Kang M, Chung J, Ryoo H. CDK5 and MEKK1 mediate pro-apoptotic signalling following endoplasmic reticulum stress in an autosomal dominant retinitis pigmentosa model. Nat Cell Biol. 2012;14:409-15 pubmed publisher..Here, we report the identification of a signalling pathway mediated by cdk5 and mekk1 required for ER-stress-induced apoptosis...
- Etchegaray J, Timmons A, Klein A, Pritchett T, Welch E, Meehan T, et al. Draper acts through the JNK pathway to control synchronous engulfment of dying germline cells by follicular epithelial cells. Development. 2012;139:4029-39 pubmed publisher..The induction of JNK and Draper in follicle cells occurs independently of caspase activity in the germline, indicating that at least two pathways are necessary to coordinate germline cell death with engulfment by the somatic epithelium. ..
- Chakrabarti S, Poidevin M, Lemaitre B. The Drosophila MAPK p38c regulates oxidative stress and lipid homeostasis in the intestine. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004659 pubmed publisher..Our genetic analysis shows that p38c functions in a pathway with Mekk1 and Mkk3 to induce the phosphorylation of Atf-2, a transcription factor that controls Duox expression...
- Rimkus S, Katzenberger R, Trinh A, Dodson G, Tibbetts R, Wassarman D. Mutations in String/CDC25 inhibit cell cycle re-entry and neurodegeneration in a Drosophila model of Ataxia telangiectasia. Genes Dev. 2008;22:1205-20 pubmed publisher..Thus, we hypothesize that ATM performs a cell cycle checkpoint function to protect post-mitotic neurons from degeneration and that cell cycle re-entry causes neurodegeneration in A-T...
- Nelson J, Moore K, Chapin A, Hollien J, Metzstein M. Degradation of Gadd45 mRNA by nonsense-mediated decay is essential for viability. elife. 2016;5: pubmed publisher..Our findings demonstrate that degradation of Gadd45 mRNA is the essential NMD function and, surprisingly, that the surveillance of abnormal mRNAs by this pathway is not necessarily required for viability. ..
- Tuxworth R, Chen H, Vivancos V, Carvajal N, Huang X, Tear G. The Batten disease gene CLN3 is required for the response to oxidative stress. Hum Mol Genet. 2011;20:2037-47 pubmed publisher..Together, our data suggest that the lack of CLN3 function leads to a failure to manage the response to oxidative stress and this may be the key deficit in JNCL that leads to neuronal degeneration. ..
- Kopp E, Medzhitov R, Carothers J, Xiao C, Douglas I, Janeway C, et al. ECSIT is an evolutionarily conserved intermediate in the Toll/IL-1 signal transduction pathway. Genes Dev. 1999;13:2059-71 pubmed..the identification and characterization of a novel intermediate in these signaling pathways that bridges TRAF6 to MEKK-1...
- Freeman A, Syed S, Sanyal S. Modeling the genetic basis for human sleep disorders in Drosophila. Commun Integr Biol. 2013;6:e22733 pubmed publisher..These methodologies should favorably impact not only a mechanistic understanding of sleep, but also future pharmacological intervention strategies to manage and treat sleep disorders in humans. ..
- Ryoo H. Drosophila as a model for unfolded protein response research. BMB Rep. 2015;48:445-53 pubmed..The fact that the basic UPR pathways are conserved, together with the availability of many human disease models in this organism, makes Drosophila a powerful tool for studying human disease mechanisms. ..