Genomes and Genes
Gene Symbol: mei-W68
Description: meiotic W68
Alias: CG30132, CG7753, Dmel\CG7753, Mei-W68, MeiW68, Spo11, W68, l(2)k05603, mei, mei W-68, mei-w68, meiW68, spo11, meiotic W68, CG7753-PA, mei-W68-PA
Species: fruit fly
- Staeva Vieira E, Yoo S, Lehmann R. An essential role of DmRad51/SpnA in DNA repair and meiotic checkpoint control. EMBO J. 2003;22:5863-74 pubmed..We therefore propose that under normal conditions a second, Rad51-independent, repair pathway prevents the lethal effects of DNA damage. ..
- McKim K, Hayashi Hagihara A. mei-W68 in Drosophila melanogaster encodes a Spo11 homolog: evidence that the mechanism for initiating meiotic recombination is conserved. Genes Dev. 1998;12:2932-42 pubmed..cerevisiae spo11 gene. Molecular analysis of several mutants confirmed that mei-W68 encodes an spo11 homolog...
- Shulman J, Benton R, St Johnston D. The Drosophila homolog of C. elegans PAR-1 organizes the oocyte cytoskeleton and directs oskar mRNA localization to the posterior pole. Cell. 2000;101:377-88 pubmed..These results identify a molecular parallel between anterior-posterior polarization in Drosophila and C. elegans. ..
- McKim K, Green Marroquin B, Sekelsky J, Chin G, Steinberg C, Khodosh R, et al. Meiotic synapsis in the absence of recombination. Science. 1998;279:876-8 pubmed..Electron microscopy of oocytes from females homozygous for either of two meiotic mutants (mei-W68 and mei-P22), which eliminate both meiotic crossing over and gene conversion, revealed normal synaptonemal complex ..
- Huynh J, Shulman J, Benton R, St Johnston D. PAR-1 is required for the maintenance of oocyte fate in Drosophila. Development. 2001;128:1201-9 pubmed..Finally, we show that PAR-1 localises on the fusome, and provides a link between the asymmetry of the fusome and the selection of the oocyte. ..
- Jang J, Sherizen D, Bhagat R, Manheim E, McKim K. Relationship of DNA double-strand breaks to synapsis in Drosophila. J Cell Sci. 2003;116:3069-77 pubmed..There may also be an interaction between the recruitment of repair proteins and phosphorylation. ..
- Liu H, Jang J, Kato N, McKim K. mei-P22 encodes a chromosome-associated protein required for the initiation of meiotic recombination in Drosophila melanogaster. Genetics. 2002;162:245-58 pubmed..This array of phenotypes is identical to that of mei-W68 mutants; mei-W68 encodes the Drosophila Spo11 homolog that is proposed to be an enzyme required for DSB formation...
- Mehrotra S, McKim K. Temporal analysis of meiotic DNA double-strand break formation and repair in Drosophila females. PLoS Genet. 2006;2:e200 pubmed..b>MEI-P22 is required for DSB formation and localizes to chromosomes prior to gamma-His2Av foci...
- Klattenhoff C, Bratu D, McGinnis Schultz N, Koppetsch B, Cook H, Theurkauf W. Drosophila rasiRNA pathway mutations disrupt embryonic axis specification through activation of an ATR/Chk2 DNA damage response. Dev Cell. 2007;12:45-55 pubmed..We conclude that rasiRNA-based gene silencing is not required for axis specification, and that the critical developmental function for this pathway is to suppress DNA damage signaling in the germline. ..
- McCaffrey R, St Johnston D, González Reyes A. Drosophila mus301/spindle-C encodes a helicase with an essential role in double-strand DNA break repair and meiotic progression. Genetics. 2006;174:1273-85 pubmed..Most of the oogenesis defects of mus301 mutants are suppressed by mutants in the checkpoint kinase Mei41 and in MeiW68, the Spo11 homolog that is thought to generate the dsDNA breaks that initiate recombination, indicating that these ..
- Lu W, Chapo J, Roig I, Abrams J. Meiotic recombination provokes functional activation of the p53 regulatory network. Science. 2010;328:1278-81 pubmed publisher..Specifically, double-stranded breaks in DNA generated by the topoisomerase Spo11 provoked functional p53 activity, which was prolonged in cells defective for meiotic DNA repair...
- Ghabrial A, Schupbach T. Activation of a meiotic checkpoint regulates translation of Gurken during Drosophila oogenesis. Nat Cell Biol. 1999;1:354-7 pubmed..We also show that Vasa is a target of this meiotic checkpoint, and so may mediate the checkpoint-dependent translational regulation of Gurken. ..
- Lake C, Nielsen R, Hawley R. The Drosophila zinc finger protein trade embargo is required for double strand break formation in meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2011;7:e1002005 pubmed publisher..Although the Drosophila Spo11 ortholog Mei-W68 is required for the induction of DSBs during meiotic prophase, only one other protein (Mei-P22) ..
- Webber H, Howard L, Bickel S. The cohesion protein ORD is required for homologue bias during meiotic recombination. J Cell Biol. 2004;164:819-29 pubmed..We conclude that ORD activity suppresses sister chromatid exchange and stimulates inter-homologue crossovers, thereby promoting homologue bias during meiotic recombination in Drosophila. ..
- Peretz G, Arie L, Bakhrat A, Abdu U. The Drosophila hus1 gene is required for homologous recombination repair during meiosis. Mech Dev. 2009;126:677-86 pubmed publisher..Interestingly, eliminating checkpoint activity through mutations in DmChk2 but not mei-41 suppress the oocyte nucleus and SC defects of hus1, suggesting that these processes are dependent upon DmChk2 ..
- Nagel A, Fischer P, Szawinski J, La Rosa M, Preiss A. Cyclin G is involved in meiotic recombination repair in Drosophila melanogaster. J Cell Sci. 2012;125:5555-63 pubmed publisher..Double-strand breaks (DSBs) induce a meiotic checkpoint by activating Mei-41 kinase (the Drosophila ATR homologue), thereby indirectly causing dorsoventral patterning defects...
- Palmer R, Fessler L, Edeen P, Madigan S, McKeown M, Hunter T. DFak56 is a novel Drosophila melanogaster focal adhesion kinase. J Biol Chem. 1999;274:35621-9 pubmed..Our results imply a role for DFak56 in adhesion-dependent signaling pathways in vivo during D. melanogaster development. ..
- Baker B, Carpenter A, Esposito M, Esposito R, Sandler L. The genetic control of meiosis. Annu Rev Genet. 1976;10:53-134 pubmed
- Findley S, Tamanaha M, Clegg N, Ruohola Baker H. Maelstrom, a Drosophila spindle-class gene, encodes a protein that colocalizes with Vasa and RDE1/AGO1 homolog, Aubergine, in nuage. Development. 2003;130:859-71 pubmed..Furthermore, maelstrom mutant ovaries show mislocalization of two proteins involved in the microRNA and/or RNAi pathways, Dicer and Argonaute2, suggesting a potential connection between nuage and the microRNA-pathway. ..
- Carpenter A. Normal synaptonemal complex and abnormal recombination nodules in two alleles of the Drosophila meiotic mutant mei-W68. Genetics. 2003;163:1337-56 pubmedThe meiotic phenotypes of two mutant alleles of the mei-W68 gene, 1 and L1, were studied by genetics and by serial-section electron microscopy. Despite no or reduced exchange, both mutant alleles have normal synaptonemal complex...
- Tran M, Tsarouhas V, Kegel A. Early development of Drosophila embryos requires Smc5/6 function during oogenesis. Biol Open. 2016;5:928-41 pubmed publisher..Thus, our findings contribute to the understanding of Smc proteins in higher eukaryotic development by highlighting a maternal function in chromosome maintenance and a link between oogenesis and early embryogenesis. ..
- Wu C, Singaram V, McKim K. mei-38 is required for chromosome segregation during meiosis in Drosophila females. Genetics. 2008;180:61-72 pubmed publisher..We have characterized the mei-38 gene in Drosophila and found it may be required for chromosome organization within the karyosome...
- Wylie A, Jones A, D Brot A, Lu W, Kurtz P, Moran J, et al. p53 genes function to restrain mobile elements. Genes Dev. 2016;30:64-77 pubmed publisher..Since human p53 mutants are disabled for this activity, our findings raise the possibility that p53 mitigates oncogenic disease in part by restricting transposon mobility. ..
- Djagaeva I, Doronkin S, Beckendorf S. Src64 is involved in fusome development and karyosome formation during Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Biol. 2005;284:143-56 pubmed..Our results indicate that Src64 regulates actin dynamics at multiple stages of oogenesis. ..
- Hawley R. Meiosis as an "M" thing: twenty-five years of meiotic mutants in Drosophila. Genetics. 1993;135:613-8 pubmed
- Wei N, Deng X. The COP9 signalosome. Annu Rev Cell Dev Biol. 2003;19:261-86 pubmed..The involvement of CSN in a number of cellular and developmental processes has been attributed to its control over ubiquitin-proteasome-mediated protein degradation. ..
- Haber J. Meiosis. Searching for a partner. Science. 1998;279:823-4 pubmed
- Morris J, Lehmann R. Drosophila oogenesis: versatile spn doctors. Curr Biol. 1999;9:R55-8 pubmed..Genes of the spindle class, which encode double-strand break repair enzymes and RNA helicases, affect oocyte polarity and the decision whether to differentiate as an oocyte or a nurse cell. ..
- Takeo S, Lake C, Morais de Sá E, Sunkel C, Hawley R. Synaptonemal complex-dependent centromeric clustering and the initiation of synapsis in Drosophila oocytes. Curr Biol. 2011;21:1845-51 pubmed publisher..Our data support a view in which the SC-mediated clustering at the centromeres is the initiating event for meiotic synapsis...
- Iida T, Lilly M. missing oocyte encodes a highly conserved nuclear protein required for the maintenance of the meiotic cycle and oocyte identity in Drosophila. Development. 2004;131:1029-39 pubmed..Our data strongly suggest that the product of the missing oocyte gene acts in the oocyte nucleus to facilitate the execution of the unique cell cycle and developmental programs that produce the mature haploid gamete. ..
- Klattenhoff C, Xi H, Li C, Lee S, Xu J, Khurana J, et al. The Drosophila HP1 homolog Rhino is required for transposon silencing and piRNA production by dual-strand clusters. Cell. 2009;138:1137-49 pubmed publisher..Rhino thus appears to promote transcription of dual-strand clusters, leading to production of piRNAs that drive the ping-pong amplification cycle. ..
- Meyer R, Delaage M, Rosset R, Capri M, Ait Ahmed O. A single mutation results in diploid gamete formation and parthenogenesis in a Drosophila yemanuclein-alpha meiosis I defective mutant. BMC Genet. 2010;11:104 pubmed publisher..This work paves the way to further investigations on the evolution of the mechanisms that support sexual reproduction. ..
- Barbosa V, Kimm N, Lehmann R. A maternal screen for genes regulating Drosophila oocyte polarity uncovers new steps in meiotic progression. Genetics. 2007;176:1967-77 pubmed..In Drosophila, the persistent presence of double-strand DNA breaks (DSB) activates the ATR/Mei-41 checkpoint, delays progression through meiosis, and causes defects in DNA condensation of the oocyte nucleus, ..
- Wylie A, Lu W, D Brot A, Buszczak M, Abrams J. p53 activity is selectively licensed in the Drosophila stem cell compartment. elife. 2014;3:e01530 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, the findings uncover ancestral links between p53 and aberrant proliferation that are independent of DNA breaks and predate evolution of the ARF/Mdm2 axis. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.7554/eLife.01530.001. ..
- McKee B, Hong C, Das S. On the roles of heterochromatin and euchromatin in meiosis in drosophila: mapping chromosomal pairing sites and testing candidate mutations for effects on X-Y nondisjunction and meiotic drive in male meiosis. Genetica. 2000;109:77-93 pubmed..No strong effects on disjunction were seen. However, the tests did uncover several mutations that suppress or enhance the meiotic drive (distorted X-Y recovery ratio) that accompanies X-Y pairing failure...
- Liu H, Jang J, Graham J, Nycz K, McKim K. Two genes required for meiotic recombination in Drosophila are expressed from a dicistronic message. Genetics. 2000;154:1735-46 pubmedWe have isolated two alleles of a previously unidentified meiotic recombination gene, mei-217. Genetic analysis of these mutants shows that mei-217 is a typical "precondition" gene...
- Huang H, Wang S, Yin M, Dong L, Wang C, Wu W, et al. Par-1 regulates tissue growth by influencing hippo phosphorylation status and hippo-salvador association. PLoS Biol. 2013;11:e1001620 pubmed publisher..Furthermore, we provided evidence that Par-1-induced Hpo regulation is conserved in mammalian cells. Taken together, our findings identified Par-1 as a novel component of the Hpo signaling network. ..
- Doronkin S, Djagaeva I, Beckendorf S. The COP9 signalosome promotes degradation of Cyclin E during early Drosophila oogenesis. Dev Cell. 2003;4:699-710 pubmed..Genetic interactions among CSN, SCF, and proteasome subunits further confirm CSN involvement in ubiquitin-mediated Cyclin E degradation. ..
- Bozas A, Beumer K, Trautman J, Carroll D. Genetic analysis of zinc-finger nuclease-induced gene targeting in Drosophila. Genetics. 2009;182:641-51 pubmed publisher..They also demonstrate that the outcome can be biased toward gene replacement by disabling the major NHEJ pathway and toward simple mutagenesis by interfering with the major HR process...
- Tritto P, Palumbo V, Micale L, Marzulli M, Bozzetti M, Specchia V, et al. Loss of Pol32 in Drosophila melanogaster causes chromosome instability and suppresses variegation. PLoS ONE. 2015;10:e0120859 pubmed publisher..In addition we found that pol32 mutants suppress position effect variegation, suggesting a role for Pol32 in chromatin architecture. ..
- Lake C, Nielsen R, Guo F, Unruh J, Slaughter B, Hawley R. Vilya, a component of the recombination nodule, is required for meiotic double-strand break formation in Drosophila. elife. 2015;4:e08287 pubmed publisher..is required for meiotic DSB formation, perhaps as a consequence of its interaction with the DSB accessory protein Mei-P22, and localizes to those DSB sites that will mature into crossovers...
- McKim K, Jang J, Sekelsky J, Laurencon A, Hawley R. mei-41 is required for precocious anaphase in Drosophila females. Chromosoma. 2000;109:44-9 pubmedThis paper reports on a new role for mei-41 in cell cycle control during meiosis. This function is revealed by the requirement of mei-41 for the precocious anaphase observed in crossover-defective mutants...
- Hughes S, Hawley R. Topoisomerase II is required for the proper separation of heterochromatic regions during Drosophila melanogaster female meiosis. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004650 pubmed publisher..These data suggest both that Topoisomerase II is involved in the resolution of heterochromatic DNA entanglements during meiosis I and that these entanglements must be resolved in order to complete meiosis. ..
- Peng J, Karpen G. Heterochromatic genome stability requires regulators of histone H3 K9 methylation. PLoS Genet. 2009;5:e1000435 pubmed publisher..Similar effects of lower magnitude were observed in animals that lack the RNA interference pathway component Dcr2. These results suggest that the H3K9 methylation and RNAi pathways ensure heterochromatin stability. ..
- Chubykin V. [The epigenetic mechanism of the effect of mildly deleterious mutations on the viability of the progeny and their correction in meiosis]. Genetika. 2010;46:1367-70 pubmed..Hybrids with chromosomes containing independently accumulated deleterious mutations partly restore their viability due to the complementary interactions of + and - genes. ..
- Mengoli V, Bucciarelli E, Lattao R, Piergentili R, Gatti M, Bonaccorsi S. The analysis of mutant alleles of different strength reveals multiple functions of topoisomerase 2 in regulation of Drosophila chromosome structure. PLoS Genet. 2014;10:e1004739 pubmed publisher..Thus, our results suggest that the previously observed discrepancies in the chromosomal phenotypes elicited by Topo II downregulation in vertebrates might depend on slight differences in Topo II concentration and/or activity. ..
- Baker B, Carpenter A, Ripoll P. The Utilization during Mitotic Cell Division of Loci Controlling Meiotic Recombination and Disjunction in DROSOPHILA MELANOGASTER. Genetics. 1978;90:531-78 pubmed..Mutants at six of the seven recombination-defective loci examined (mei-9, mei-41, c(3)G, mei-W68, mei-S282, mei-352, mei-218) cause mitotic chromosome instability in both sexes, whereas mutants at one locus (mei-..